Fire wood useage

General Discussions: ASK John: Fire wood useage

By coldbear on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 08:43 am: Edit Post

Hello John....have you any idea how much wood you will burn this 08-09 winter season? Tons,cords,etc.? Thanks and have a good spring.rad

By admin on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 09:20 am: Edit Post

So far I have gone through around 7.5 cord. Probably do another 1.5-2 before the heat gets turned off.

-John

By rp7x on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:43 pm: Edit Post

is that pulp cords or face cords ?

By admin on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 04:47 am: Edit Post

That is a full cord (4x4x8).

-John

By kevisip on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 07:50 am: Edit Post

John,

I am assuming you use an Outdoor Wood Furnace?

By 1000 on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 09:13 am: Edit Post

Chewck out the construction section of the site. I think you will find pics in there.

By admin on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 09:13 am: Edit Post

Yep, have a unit from Central Boiler and love it.

-John

By coldbear on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 12:03 pm: Edit Post

Unbelievable..! How many times a day do you have to stoke the boiler? Do you cram it full?.These questions are being asked so my wife might let me buy one next this fall.Bob.

By admin on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 12:33 pm: Edit Post

coldbear-

I have to put wood in it just once a day. How much depends on the outside temps. Right now I am tossing about 4-5 pieces that are an average of 10-12" in diameter and around 12-15" long. Not much wood at all. On a really cold day (max temps in the single digits) I have to put double that in. This is for heating the cabin and my play toy shop (30'x30'), plus the domestic hot water.

-John

By harlybob on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 12:10 am: Edit Post

John,

I assume there are electric water pumps to circulate the hot water, how long to they run, and any idea of power consumption?

Bob

By admin on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 08:49 am: Edit Post

Bob-

I don't have the exact electrical usage, but can tell you this. Last summer I shut down the boiler and heated our hot water with the electric hot water heater in the cabin and my electric bill was much higher 30-40 dollars) than the summer before when used the boiler for heating the domestic hot water. If I had to guess, it probably uses around $30 a month in electricity. By the way, our electrical rates are pretty high up here.

-John

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration