Line in the Ground

General Discussions: ASK John: Line in the Ground

By maddogg on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 02:41 pm: Edit Post

Hi John,

I noticed a new crack in the ground by the weatherstation on the AL Cam. Are you putting in a dog fence?

Thanks a lot.

Andy

By admin on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 02:47 pm: Edit Post

Yep, that is exactly what is going on.

-John

By 1000 on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 02:54 pm: Edit Post

Huh?!?! Why?

By maddogg on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 02:56 pm: Edit Post

Thanks John.

By admin on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 02:58 pm: Edit Post

It's an in-ground radio fence. It will give me the peace of mind that the pups will not stray off the property and perhaps onto the road.

-John

By 1000 on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 03:05 pm: Edit Post

I guess I am just surprised that you would have that. Around my neighborhood, yes. But I understand. Once trained, then you don't have to worry much. Of course the neighbors dog trained them. She decided she did not want the collar anymore and refused to go outside with it on. They took it off and she went right out. Never leaves the yard either. :-)

By admin on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 03:09 pm: Edit Post

I have been training them to stay in the yard and the fence will just be one more added security feature. There's no guarantee that even this will work 100% of the time, but my main concern is them chasing something like a deer, bunny or squirrel out onto the road and getting hit.

The only way to make it 100% safe would be to put up a real fence, but nothing like that is going up.

-John

By scott_b on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 03:10 pm: Edit Post

how did you make such a nice, neat slit?

By admin on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 03:11 pm: Edit Post

Spade shovel.

-John

By ibendwire on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 05:53 pm: Edit Post

We trained our dog with an invisable fence as well. It sure is a great peace of mind. Like you said John, nothing is 100% but we have had ours for over 3 years and our dog has never left the yard. I know without the fence our dog would definitely leave the yard when chasing deer and other critters. Interestingly enough, our cat knows the fence line as well and she will sit just outside the fence line Knowing that the dog can not get to her!

By m8man on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 09:02 pm: Edit Post

Great idea John, unfortunately that is how I lost my 1 yr old Chocolate a year and a half ago.. He stayed in the yard always, but took off chasing a deer..He was hit by a truck..

better safe then sorry.

m8man

By skidoo50 on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 10:34 am: Edit Post

John, A gas powered lawn edger works great for cutting the slit for an invisible fencing.

By greggk on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 09:56 am: Edit Post

When we trained our dog with a electric fence, we always made sure we picked up the dog and carried (or drove them in the car) them over the fence line (without the collar of course) thus she new that she was safe when with us when crossing the fence. We have a english setter that is lightning fast and chases everything to the edge of the fence line. I agree that this will give you peace of mind. Gregg

By brapmaster on Friday, May 08, 2009 - 08:53 am: Edit Post

We have the invisible fence and love it!! The fence doesn't even have to be on and he will not leave the yard. Great idea John. The peace of mind is great.

Cal

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration