Orange in UP satellite image down from Marquette

General Discussions: ASK John: Orange in UP satellite image down from Marquette

By peggip on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 08:57 am: Edit Post

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.cgi/modis?region=s&page=1&template= sub&image=a1.09124.1921.LakeSuperior.143.250m.jpg

John, I have noticed on all of the images a rather big orange area just south/southwest of Marquette. What is it? I'm new to your site and am enjoying it alot. Thank-you for all your pictures. Am hoping to live up in the U.P. in the future. Again thank-you for any help with the orange site. Peggi

By scottd on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 09:06 am: Edit Post

That is where the open pit Iron Ore mines are (Empire/Tilden).

By admin on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 03:46 pm: Edit Post

That site is having one of it's "moments" and I cannot see the image to confirm, but would speculate that scottd is right, it is the Empire and Tilden mines. Sometimes the operators of the MODIS imagery will also have fires stand out in red, but they do not use orange.

-John

By 1000 on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 03:50 pm: Edit Post

peggip, go to Google Maps and click satellite. Then start zooming in on where it is at. On Google it is not orange but it has to be the strip mines.

By peggip on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 11:11 am: Edit Post

Thank You all of you for the info. Its a good thing with all this support in answering questions. Thanks again Peggi

By groomerdave on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 08:49 am: Edit Post

tailings ponds. There big and ugly up close and from space!
-Dave

By peggip on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 09:31 am: Edit Post

what is a tailings ponds?

By frnash on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 07:13 pm: Edit Post

peggip:
"what is a tailings ponds?"

1. Click → Wikipedia: Tailing(s) pond
2. Click → Wikipedia: Tailings

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration