Forecasting technological advacements

General Discussions: ASK John: Forecasting technological advacements

By regionrat on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 07:59 pm: Edit Post

What (if any) are the next big technological advancements in weather forecasting? Will the advancements be incremental, or is there a piece of technology that will revolutionize forecasting?

By coldbear on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 08:14 am: Edit Post

I predict there will be a 50/50 chance that there will be a technolical advancement in weather forecasting.There,now I'm covered!

By admin on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 08:55 am: Edit Post

To the best of my knowledge there is nothing on the immediate horizon that would lend itself to a huge change in technological advancements in forecasting. Historically most of the advancements have been incremental and I would suspect that trend will continue.

By petro45fg on Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 11:28 am: Edit Post

Although it is by NO means a revolutionary type of thing, the NWS will soon (like 1-2 years) be implementing dual-polar (vertical and well as horizontal beams) capability to the Doppler radar. This'll provide a more complete picture of the precip/wind patterns. In the 10-15 year range the next step will be a phased-array system which will use electronics to aim the beam, rather than have a big dish rotating and changing elevation.

By snobuilder on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 08:26 am: Edit Post

Perhaps someday they will be able to predict/explain how the "Big One" snowfalls can proportionally diminish in direct correlation to the quantity of HYPE our local SE WI. forecasters spew.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration