Wood Consumption

General Discussions: ASK John: Wood Consumption

By tree_acres_camp on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 09:15 am: Edit Post

Hi John, I was reading in your journal that you have 15-16 cords in your wood shed and that you will get 2 heating seasons out of that amount. I find this hard to believe. What all do you heat with the boiler? I heat my home forced air heat exchanger, hot water, and my shop. My total square footage is approx.3,700 sq.ft. I live in northwest ohio and last year i burnt 13-14 cord. Both the house and shop are well insulated. Just wondering what your secret is?

By admin on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 09:20 am: Edit Post

Last year I used about 7-8 cord. I heat the cabin and shop (approx 2500 sq.ft) as well as domestic hot water. The only thing I can think of is the boiler. The unit I have (Central Boiler) really does not burn much wood when not calling for heat. The wood just barely smolders. Plus I only put enough wood in the firebox to get me through the next 24 hours. No need to have wood burning that is not needed.

By tree_acres_camp on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 09:25 am: Edit Post

Have you fired up for the season yet? I try to wait it out for a little bit, but i also don't like to burn to much propane.

By admin on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 03:32 pm: Edit Post

I keep it going all year long to heat the domestic water. It is cheaper to do it that way than to heat the water with the hot water heater. I did shut it down a few weeks ago to clean and change the rope gasket on the door, but it is going again.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration