Low pressure systems

General Discussions: ASK John: Low pressure systems

By SnowFan470 on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:24 am: Edit Post

Merging of low pressures...is there a specific name for that?..and wouldn't that be something that could cause a nice big storm too?

Sorry for giving the wrong input in that thread!

By John Dee on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:46 am: Edit Post

I am not aware of a specific name for when two surface low pressure systems merge, but phasing is the specific name for when two upper air troughs have their axis come into alignment and join forces.

When you phase two upper air troughs together, you many times get a fairly big storm and it looks like what is going to happen across the northern Midwest this weekend will be a text book case of jetstream phasing.


By SnowFan470 on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 06:16 pm: Edit Post

Oh Ok, thanks for clarifying that for me!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration