SNOW NORTH OF THE TWIN CITIES

General Discussions: ASK John: SNOW NORTH OF THE TWIN CITIES

By fiaman101 on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:11 am: Edit Post

John why does all the snow always go south of the twin cities. It seems this has happend for at least the last three years.no snow in central MN really sucks!

By mulchatna on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:12 pm: Edit Post

I agree fiaman101. I would guess at my cabin near Longville, MN that we did not receive more than 3" of snow for the whole month of January. If it wasn't for December snowfall we would really be hurting. Think positive.

By fiaman101 on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:08 am: Edit Post

Anyone?

By etakk7 on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:27 am: Edit Post

I was just about to ask the same question. I moved from Madison to Minneapolis in 2004 and since then all of the snow storms seems to go south of the Cities and nail Madison. They are more subject to warm-ups that melt their snow but at least they are getting it.

By formanek on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:26 am: Edit Post

Pretty sure you know the answer yourself. Patterns.

By fiaman101 on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:27 am: Edit Post

Ya but this has been a 4-5 year pattern. is this permanet pattern now?

By admin on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 10:33 am: Edit Post

fiaman101-

Sorry, I did not see this one.

With our current knowledge or lack of knowledge in the goings on of the atmosphere, we cannot explain why such anomalies occur. I can tell you that is does not have anything to do with terrain or other geographical features. I guess you could just chalk it up to the luck of the draw.

Long term averages are just that, averages of the extremes over the past 30 years or so. Based on that, you are bound to have years when you run above average and years you run below average. I think it is also important to know exactly what is average for your locale. I do not know exactly where you are talking about, but much of central MN sees around 50" of snow in an average winter.

I guess the best I can say is hang in there. I got similar questions from folks in southern M and sections of IA in previous years and their trend has turned around in the past 2 years. Sooner or later it will do so for you to. Plus this winter is not over yet!

-John

By fiaman101 on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 09:49 pm: Edit Post

Thanks John,
Guess ill just have to wait

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration