Lake effect snow

General Discussions: ASK John: Lake effect snow

By einne on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 09:27 pm: Edit Post

john, does smaller bodies of water have the same effect as the large bodies of water on this? rivers, creeks, ponds?

By formanek on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 12:34 am: Edit Post

John has talked of this in the past. No, there is not enough moisture in river, creeks and ponds and also not enough suface area to create the lake effect supply.

That is the layman's explanation. John can be more specific if he wants, but I thought I would help since I know for a fact that he is sleepy-night-night already. :-)

By einne on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 07:22 pm: Edit Post

thanks for your input. that is good enough for me. must of missed the last time he talked about it. thanks formanek

By average_joe on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 10:00 pm: Edit Post

John must really be tired. I'll supply a couple links where you can learn more:

short version
long version

Be sure to post back if you need some explanations.

By admin on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 02:46 pm: Edit Post

Not tired, just busy.

You need the air to travel over about 35-45 miles of water for it to pick up enough moisture and heat to produce lake effect snow.

Therefore rivers, creeks and ponds are too small.

-John

By einne on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 09:18 pm: Edit Post

thanks for jumping in john, checked out what else was posted also. was by the mississippi river and there seemed to be more snow near the river than a little further away and was just wondering.

By snow_chaser on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 01:38 am: Edit Post

Thanks for those useful links average_joe.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration