What snowmobile brand?

General Discussions: ASK John: What snowmobile brand?

By olsmann on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 01:09 pm: Edit Post

I know this might start a fire storm and maybe you dont want to answer, but after reading your review of the yamaha, Would you ever switch brands? Or maybe a better way to ask without causing controversy is to ask, who out there makes a sled (08 models) that you feel (just say money not being and option) fits the bill the best for the type of riding you do?(your dream sled) I know sooner or later you will have to upgrade and either way 3/4s of the people are gonna disagree with you. I just got the feeling that your were suprised about the yamis performance and wondered if it got your wheels turning?

By admin on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 01:39 pm: Edit Post

Switching brands for me would be no problem. I think folks misread the fact that I have been riding a Polaris of one type or another for the past 9 years as being brand loyal. Truth is, the first Polaris I got (94 XLT) just happened to be a sled that was in great shape and available to me at a good price. The next- the 03 700 RMK was sort of the same situation. Just a sled that was available to me at a really good price. I did choose the 05 800 RMK because I had become familiar with the ride of the 700 and also knew how to fix a lot of things on them.

However, I could have just as easily been on a SkiDoo or Arctic Cat these past several years and a Yamaha before they went to all 4 stroke. While I think the jump to all 4 strokes for Yamaha was a bold and good move, it just did not work with the type of sledding I do (boondocking). That was until I rode this latest sled.

You are right in your observation that I was surprised by the XTX's performance on and off trail. I still would like to try it out in the steep and deep, but feel pretty confident that with a deeper lug track it would perform just fine in any boondocking situation. Throw a turbo in it and I have a rocket ship for here and out west!

So, back to the question... I feel that every manufacturer has a sled for me. This is not some politically correct BS answer either. I would be very happy to be riding a Dragon 800, an M8, an 800 XP or the new Nytro XTX.

I think it will all boil down to what happens to present itself as the best deal as I do plan to be riding a different sled for next season.

(Read: interested parties in my 800 should be saving their $)

By olsmann on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 02:04 pm: Edit Post

Thats a fair enough answer, I,m am not to brand loyal as I feel each has its own but different offerings. And I have had fun switchin brands and tryin new stuff. This Is why I always just buy the black helmet and black gear that way it always matches!

By snowfan470 on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 08:00 pm: Edit Post

I am in agreement with John....every manufacturer has a sled for me too. I have a Yamaha Phazer FX right now....but that doesn't mean I'm totally yamaha loyal. One piece of evidence...I sometimes wear a Ski-Doo Cap! lol But yeah...I believe every manufacturer has a good line of sled...whether it be the XP...or the Nytro..or the Dragon RMK/IQ or switchback...or the crossfire or M-series... and so it wouldn't be hard for me to either stay with Yamaha or switch...

By olsmann on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 08:39 pm: Edit Post

John, I forgot to tell ya, You gotta get Yamie to put your money shot from the journal in the 09 brochure!

By erkoehler on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:07 pm: Edit Post

Isn't about time for a sled manufacturer to step up and sponsor John with a sweet new sled?

Let all think about what he does for the sport...I think it is time! Who is going to step up?

By 81indycenturion on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 01:15 pm: Edit Post

I've wondered the same thing for years.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration