Spell check?

General Discussions: ASK John: Spell check?

By hotwire on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 09:16 pm: Edit Post

John, Whats the chance of getting spell check plugged into the board? Then after we write a post, and before we submit it we can do a spell check and sound more convincing and intelleagent. I know some people have a real hang up when you spell those long words wrong.:-)

By snowfan470 on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 01:31 am: Edit Post

IDK about u, but I use firefox and every time i spell a word wrong..it underlines it with a small red dotted line and all i have to do is right click on the word...and I have a list of words with the correct spellings...

By snow_chaser on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 01:52 am: Edit Post

Thanks snowfan470, I never knew that about firefox which I also have.

By polaris_800rmk on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:55 am: Edit Post

Thats neat, I never knew that either. I was always trying to figure out where to find the correct spelling when it underlined it.

By snowfan470 on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 06:09 pm: Edit Post

When u open firefox, go to Tools at the top, and then options. Once u have that open, go to the advanced tab and there is a spot that u check off for the browser to check your spelling as u type. But, this is only for firefox..idk about the rest..

By hotwire on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 10:42 pm: Edit Post

Oh crap, I don't have firefox. I guess I might have to get ahold of the great frnash for help on this one.

This is Houston calling "Frnash"..... do you copy?

By frnash on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:40 pm: Edit Post

hotwire:
"I don't have firefox.
Houston calling "Frnash …"

In the deep, resonant voice and words of the The Addams Family's manservant, Lurch:

You rang?

That's easy to fix; you can find it here Firefox2
(Current version is 2.0.0.12)

By snowfan470 on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 01:21 am: Edit Post

haha its not that hard...frnash has a link right there, but all u'd have to do is go to GOOGLE and search firefox...simple

By frnash on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 02:12 am: Edit Post

snowfan470:
" all u'd have to do is go to GOOGLE and search firefox"

But be careful doin' that, there appear to be a few imposters out there; the one in my link is the legitimate one!

By hotwire on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 11:52 am: Edit Post

Thanks Lurch..ah I mean Frnash
I'll have to get that downloaded soon. Will there be any problems with my windows XP when I do the download?

Houston Out!

By hotwire on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 12:02 pm: Edit Post

Frnash, I just looked at firefox2 in which you recommended. If I do the free download will it be on my tool bar or will it just pop up when I spell words wrong? Or will it be loaded into my accessories?

By frnash on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 04:13 pm: Edit Post

hotwire:
"If I do the free download will it be on my tool bar …"

It's been such a long time I really don't remember, but you can put it wherever you like; perhaps download it to the desktop then copy it (or really a shortcut) to the quick launch portion of the task bar (from where I launch it for browsing).

After it is installed, fire it up, and click on [Tools | Options ] from the menu,
then in the Options window, choose the Advanced icon and the General tab.

In the Browsing section, click on the check box for Check my spelling as I type and click OK.

That should get you started.

Eventually you will probably want to make Firefox your default browser.

Later, you may want to check out and/or experiment with various of the other options too; they're fairly straightforward.

When you have a chance (no great hurry), check out the [Tools | Add-ons ] then the Get extensions link to see the various extensions that are available. (When you get there, check out the most popular/most downloaded extensions for clues.)

(All of this is far easier to do than to describe. Unlike most MS products, Firefox has a relatively simple, comfortable feel to it.)

While surfin' with Firefox, as you compose a message, a misspelled word will show a red underline (right in the message input area) as the cursor moves off the word. Right click on the errant word and you will be offered a choice of alternate spellings

By toadster920 on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 04:20 pm: Edit Post

hotwire-
The spell checker is built right into Firefox. You don't have to do anything other than install Firefox and away you go. You may have to add a few words to the FF dictonary because the developers missed a few but its pretty great if you ask me. Also, using Firefox is way, way, way more secure than Microsoft IE ever will. (Not brand bashing, just stating facts)

L8R
Todd

By hotwire on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 08:46 pm: Edit Post

Thanks frnash and toadster, I'm going to download tonite, wish me luck.

By hotwire on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 05:12 pm: Edit Post

toadster, I downloaded firefox last nite. I see it underlines misspelled words but where do you go to find the correct spelling? I have outlook express for my emails, and when I click on spell check it gives me different words to chose for correction. I'm confused!!

By snowfan470 on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 02:42 am: Edit Post

U have to right click on the misspelled word and it gives u a list of words with the correct spellings .. . .

By hotwire on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 09:24 pm: Edit Post

Yup, found that out when I was playing. Thanks All.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration