Black Fly Season ??

General Discussions: ASK John: Black Fly Season ??

By skidooza on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 09:30 am: Edit Post

John,when does the Black Fly Season start and end ???

By bearone on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 09:52 am: Edit Post

It started in the Mercer area yesterday.

By skidooza on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:14 am: Edit Post

How long does it last. I will be on vacation in the Porcupine MT state forest starting on June 6th. Do you think that it will be done by then??

By admin on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:19 am: Edit Post

Some of it depends on the weather (temps mostly), but typically they appear somewhere in the last 10 days to 2 weeks of May and hang on through most of June, with a noticeable drop to the point they are usually not a problem by the 4th of July.

June 6th in the Porkies you will hit them head on I am afraid to say.

-John

By skidooza on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:24 am: Edit Post

Thank you

By mr_freeze on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 09:00 pm: Edit Post

There here in Greenland, MI right now.

By lenny on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 10:24 pm: Edit Post

dang things are annoying, best to wear a straw hat I have found. They usually will not land on your head than. If you contact them with your hand swatting them they leave for a while otherwise they hang around relentlessly.

By admin on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 04:36 am: Edit Post

By the way, I have forgotten to mention in the past 2 journals that they are pretty much gone from the picture up here. Still a few stragglers and there usually are a few for the rest of the summer, but the swarming is over and those that are left seem to be slower and less aggressive.

Just mosquitos and a few deer flys now.

-John

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration