Doppler Radar System..

General Discussions: ASK John: Doppler Radar System..

By illinois on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 03:47 pm: Edit Post

John,What would it take to get a decent Radar System up on a nice sized hill in the U.P. to get a better picture of things? You know..Cost,Politics etc.

By frnash on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 04:51 pm: Edit Post

illinois:
… up on a nice sized hill in the U.P."

Like Mt. Horace Greeley (elevation 1500 ft.), for example? What better place could there be? :-)

By admin on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 07:44 pm: Edit Post

I really do not know how much a WSR88D is, but would venture to guess in the 100's of thousands. I did hear that there are smaller and less powerful ones you can get for around 10K, but I do not have that laying around at the moment. :-)

The stumbiling blocks for the NWS to put one up here is cost and to some extent politics.

Mt. Horace Greely would be a perfect locale as it is the site of an old Air Force early warning radar base. Plenty of infrastructure still there to support it.

-John

By illinois on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 09:00 pm: Edit Post

Too bad the folks in your neck of the woods could not start a "Radar Fund" or something of the sorts and get one installed? Even a good used Radar would suffice,no?

I just think it would be nice for you folks in the upper part of the U.P. To be able to get a good look at what is brewing in your area :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration