Freezing Rain

General Discussions: ASK John: Freezing Rain

By skidoochic on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 10:32 am: Edit Post

If the surface temperature is below zero, how does the air aloft stay above freezing? Wouldn't the cold air "chill" the warmer air until it was cold enough to produce snow?? Or is that just wishful thinking :-)

This is what I read to generate this question:
A DEEP LAYER OF WARM AIR BETWEEN 5KFT AND 10KFT ABOVE A SHALLOW LAYER OF COLD AIR AT THE SURFACE...the classic set up for freezing rain.

(Its from the NOAA)

By admin on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 01:49 pm: Edit Post

Warm air is less dense, so it is possible to have warmer air override a layer of colder, more dense air. That is exactly what is going to happen later tomorrow and tomorrow night to give the ice to areas of the central Midwest.

-John

By skidoochic on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 01:55 pm: Edit Post

Thanks for responding.

I guess that makes sense. I was just hoping the cold air would override the warm air - I would much rather have snow than ice!! I will keep praying to the Snow gods!!! :-)

Thanks again!

By dcfroe on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 08:42 am: Edit Post

I am 100 miles S of Chicago and they are calling for 1/2 to 3/4 inches of ice and 15 to 20 mph winds. 70 miles north they are calling for 10" of snow. Would someone up north kick on the large fans and blow this farther south!!!!

Got generator out last night and got it running to be prepared hoping that would move pattern south. LOL

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration