River Effect Snow???

General Discussions: ASK John: River Effect Snow???

By zimmbob on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 07:02 pm: Edit Post

Ever heard or seen it? I did, TODAY! I live in Monticello MN, about a block off of the Mississippi River. We have the "luxury" of having a fine Xcel Energy Nuclear plant upstream from the city. The plant keeps the river water at a balmy 40 to 50 degrees during the winter in town. So, today, I wake up, and there is this light snow falling. Cool. I drive 1 mile up the road..... no snow. I look back, and there is this hanging low cloud coming off the river, right over my neighborhood! Was pretty sweet. Now, it only caused a dusting on the sled, but was still something I never thought could happen.

Thanks for the site and everything you do. I love it!

By chords on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 07:22 pm: Edit Post

Sounds like the 1999 Green Bay Man Made Snow

By admin on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 07:29 am: Edit Post

I have actually seen snow fall from the steam produced by the power plant in Wausau WI. Like you said, it was very localized, but it was snow.

I guess you could call it power plant effect snow.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration