PDA

View Full Version : Woodpeckers - How to stop them!

xcr440
11-30-2009, 11:32 AM
I've got a cedar sided house, and this fall (The past month or so) the little downies have been having a hay day on my siding, I've plugged a dozen or more holes already.

How can I keep them off?

cdsprague
11-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Pellet gun, lawn chair, and some time!

olsmann
11-30-2009, 12:34 PM
I wanna say that my uncle uses a fake owl on a post and it keeps them away. I also think years ago he used to load 20 gauge shotgun shells with sand and would just blast them!

kevisip
11-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Try placing a dead woodpecker next to the area where the live woodpeckers are pecking at. It will show an example of what could happen if the pecking continues. Thats what I have done in the past.

xcr440
11-30-2009, 01:08 PM
I thought about shooting, but I don't want to pepper the side of the house, nor do I really want to shoot them, just get them off the house!!

I guess I was thinking if there was some sort of spray or something that would deter them I would try that. If not, I just may have to pull out the lawn chair......I know it won't take long for the bastages to come back!!

yamahauler
11-30-2009, 01:09 PM
tack up some mouse traps. Feel free to entice them with something that might make them want to peck it. Heck, probly take them out with a rat trap, lol. That is what my parents did. A few snaps on the beak or when a wing hit it and they went back to pecking trees.

wags
11-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Fishing line,

String fishing line across the area,simply tack or nail with smail nails keeping it about 1-1/2 t0 2 inches away from the siding.

Theroy is they fly into the fishing line (which you don't see) their wings get tangled and they learn not to come back.

They use this down in Florida at hotels along the beach to keep the seaguls away from the pool and I use it to keep Herons out of my pond.

Dan

A few tiny nail holes beats woodpecker damage

xcr440
11-30-2009, 02:16 PM
I'd need a couple spools of fishing line, and a box of nails with the areas they are attacking.

Hmmm, guess it's worth a shot. PUN intended......

cdsprague
11-30-2009, 03:20 PM
As far as the pellet gun and chair go you have to sit at the corner of the house. That way when you shoot you don't hit the house. You get 2 sides of the house to patrol at the same time. Shoot with the side of the house not at it...LOL

brad
11-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Give them real suet and black oil sunflower seeds at a feeder nearby.......might be more attractive than your home, and that way you don't have to destroy them.....they're beautiful little birds.

jpsted
11-30-2009, 04:03 PM
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/natres/06516.html

I would guess though if you eliminate the reason they come, you'll be rid of them. I assume they are coming for food...insects. Spray the home or have an exterminator spray the exterior of the home for insects.

If not that, perhaps the link above will offer some assistance. Good luck

michaeladams
11-30-2009, 04:21 PM
if your pecker was hard would you not peck holes

xcr440
11-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Oh michaeladams you are a barrel of laughs all over the boards today......NOT.

Brad,
I do have a feeder near by, with sunflower seads and peanut butter, but they still go after what I suspect jpsted said, insects burroughing for the winter. I'll just have to keep beatin on the walls for now.

whitedust
11-30-2009, 05:47 PM
I throw tennis balls at WPs but if doing damage bye bye birdie.

wags
11-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Fishing Line! It doesn't hurt them and they don't come back.

booondocker
11-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Jp is correct. These birds have incredible hearing ability and they actually hear the insects in the siding. They are doing what comes naturally to them, on this somewhat weird sized tree. Spray the siding and kill the insects (you don't really want them there right now anyway do you??) and the birds will leave it alone.

In the meantime, go on line and find some tree netting designed to keep birds out of fruit trees or strawberries. It is cheap netting that is light and you can suspend it on the side of the siding a couple inches off the side of the house...they won't like that and will leave it alone.

I use the stuff to cover my large windows which the birds bang into and it prevents them from hurting themselves when I feed in the winter.

vx700xtc
12-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Kill the bugs

ubee
12-01-2009, 12:36 AM
http://www.johndee.com/discuss/messages/58069/121318.jpg

zr800
12-03-2009, 11:03 PM
I eliminated three of them this year, over the last year they have tore the heck out of my siding, I have replaced a few pieces, but I never saw any bugs behind any of the siding, the last time I heard one he was pecking on my metal rain gutter, sure made a racket in the house, Im going to try the fish line theory, nothing else has worked,

squat
12-04-2009, 08:19 AM
I think they are hearing a buzz from wire's and noise in the house. Had one a few years ago hammer on a transformer from the noise. No bugs in there. Wonder if one of them sound machines would work? If you dont have other pets.

squat
12-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Here is an idea! Hook one up on of these http://www.pestrepellerultimate.com/pest_repeller_ultimate_at.htm to a motion detector on the side of the house. When the bird lands there the thing turns on and he goes away! That way if you have pets it wont bother them much.

kaboolie
12-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Squat I think your on to something there.
Becareful when your talking about shooting them, I know in MN there on the protected list and your not allowed to shoot them.
The owl only works for me if I move it around otherwise the little pecker started to realize it wasn't coming after him!!

booondocker
12-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Huh...no these birds aren't crazy. First of all, the bugs are not UNDER the siding, but in between the sheets of laminate, chewing the wood. There are voids in there and they eat the wood making a nice crunching sound for the birds to hear. The birds then peck away to get the grub making the chewing noise. When the bugs become inactive, they birds will stop.

When they peck on a hunk of metal, (like my chimney covers) it makes alot of noise but the sound carries far and wide. This does two things....first it announces to all the cute females that king kong is in the neighborhood and wants a date. Secondly it tells all the other males to keep clear as this territory has been taken.

You can buy tree netting and suspend it from some hooks that will last all season long which will keep the birds off the siding. The netting is used to keep birds out of cherry trees and other fruit crops. It is thin as fish line and designed in squares. Once you hang it, the birds will stay away. But killing the bugs by spraying the siding with a good long duration bug killer will be much more effective in the long run. Kill the bugs, and the birds will most likely go away.

The netting costs about $15....which is about the same as fishline.

Notice that there are thousands if not millions of homes with the rough sawn siding but 95% of the time it is stained which deters bugs from getting in it. Most often the siding the birds prefer is natural, or has very little covering..preservative, thus allowing the bugs to find a way in. Bugs in...birds peck away.

kevisip
12-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Kill those bugs!! I was waiting for someone to say that.