PDA

View Full Version : Slide Technology

fcat700
09-16-2009, 10:15 PM
I have always gone to the parts counter and just asked the man for slides to fit my sleds. Well now my baby, the F7, needs new slides. I see there are options. Kimpex claims on the website that white (pure UHMW powder) makes for a better slide then a colored slides. The color sticks to the UHMW powder and makes the material weaker causing them to wear more. Also I see "low friction graphite" is available. Is this all just a bunch of ****ski? Anyone have an opinion on what works best for a guy that rides groomed trails most of the time? What do you use?

ezra
09-16-2009, 11:29 PM
I have the big $ graphite on the drag sled did not make any diff on 660ft or 1000 ft times same Ice same day .cant say on how long thay last olnt put about 30 mi a year on that sled.I have used afermarket slides on the trail sleds never seem to last as long as the OEM.

mjkaliszak
09-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Color or ( colorant )in plastic " virgin resin is a contaminate. This is true.It may slightly reduce the plastics properties.Different processing parameters may be adjusted thus leading to a weaker product. BUT not by much. The graphite hyfax is supposed to be the best. I personally run colored slides to match my sleds color scheme. Keep my track loose and change them when needed. I keep pulling into the " duff " to keep stuff lubed. Some of the OEM slides have a thicker wear area that the AM colored ones, thus they last longer. Just my .02

famousguy
09-17-2009, 12:05 AM
I just use stock slides and change them ahhhh never.. LOL

Just sold a sled last winter with 13000 miles on the original slides.

My brother just sold a sled with 16000 miles on it and it was only on the second set of slides.

All 6 of my current sleds have original slides on them and they all look very good. Some with well over 5000 miles.

I say buy the cheap ones and ride in snow. And a few hundred miles of dirt each winter won't hurt them either.

polarisrider1
09-17-2009, 10:46 AM
famousguy, I don't believe any of it. In Michigan 700 to 2500 miles tops on slides. Do you have any track clips left? Clips go at about 5000 miles in MI. Stock slides seem to last the longest. Just road crossings and getting to the gas pumps eat them up. Oh and I run scratchers. Slides will wear in uneven on Polaris sleds giving the impression they need changing. watch for the wear/replace line all along the rail. If on the line at the front bend but good along the straight you are near. once past the line replace them. If you let your slides go to far rail damage will occur. I have had a misery of a time removing thin slides that had melted to the rail. Slides are far cheaper to replace than rails. Look for missing and thin clips when you change slides.

mezz
09-17-2009, 11:00 AM
"Clips go at about 5000 miles in MI." Sure thing! You must ride in seriuosly marginal conditions. Maybe your slides are impregnated with sand, they would have to be in order to chew clips up like that. I have had sleds with over 8,000 miles on orginal tracks & have never had to replace a single track clip. My .02, stick with OEM slides, temper them & ride in SNOW, you will get thousands of miles on them.-Mezz

polarisrider1
09-17-2009, 12:25 PM
mezz, I should of mentioned that I am in the lower part of Michigan. We have alot of marginal to get to the "good stuff" here. Tons of road crossings and bare pavement at gas stations. Our roads are mainly paved and plowed to the ditches down here making for wide crossings. I find that Stock slides do last the longest. White plastic wears well too. Colored slides wear fast. Slide life will vary on different tracks. Taller lug quicker wear on trails. I never run a track less than 1 1/2" lug. Most my sleds have 2" lug tracks. so I added scratchers.

famousguy
09-17-2009, 01:19 PM
polarisrider1

Do you really think I am making it all up???

You are welcome to come look at my sleds. I would have no reason to lie about it.

Slides are tougher than you think. I have no idea how Polaris slides wear, but on my Doo's they seem to last forever.

When they are new, in the first few hundred miles, they wear right down to the line on the front bend, and then after that they just don't seem to wear.

That wear line itself is really a joke. Next time you change your slides when they get to the wear line, take them and cut them in half right at the wear line and look how much thickness is left on them. You will be amazed at how thick they still are.

Honestly, I have not changed a set of slides in the last 9 years. By the time my sleds need slides, I tend to get rid of the sled.

I am so confident in how long they last that I would not even waste the energy to bend over and look at them until after 5000 miles.

famousguy
09-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Ohh and as for the track clips...

The last time I had a sled that needed track clips was in 1985, and that was not from a wear issue.

polarisrider1
09-17-2009, 02:03 PM
I just put 16 clips on my 06 Renegade 600 SDI with 5900 miles on it. 3rd set of slides. This is on my UP/Canada riding trail sled. That one had no scratchers with an 1 1/4" track 136x16. all snow ridden. So famous you have been extremly lucky. And yes I ride in the snow. (with backpack full of garden tools). lol

polarisrider1
09-17-2009, 02:13 PM
I just put 16 clips on my 06 Renegade 600 SDI with 5900 miles on it. 3rd set of slides. This is on my UP/Canada riding trail sled. That one had no scratchers with an 1 1/4" track 136x16. all snow ridden. So famous you have been extremly lucky. And yes I ride in the snow. (with backpack full of garden tools). lol

polarisrider1
09-17-2009, 02:16 PM
hey John, can you delete my last post and this one. Some how got a duplicate. Thank you.

famousguy
09-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Hey, hey you cannot mention that backpack full of garden tools.... My brother got banned from JD for saying that.

polarisrider1
09-18-2009, 02:10 AM
for garden tools go to www.snobunje.com (http://www.snobunje.com) while your there check out the stuck sucks photo contest.

polarisrider1
09-18-2009, 02:13 AM
I own 2 to 3 of everything on the snobunje site. makes me very popular to the stuck crowd. lol

elf
09-18-2009, 09:01 AM
I've got a Switchback 600 with 5500 miles on the original slides. It also has a 2" track on it so I'd go with the OEM slides. Also not missing any track clips.
I am going to be pulling the suspension this fall to get the shocks out to be rebuilt so I may replace the slides then since it's out. I'm also on the original belt and plugs.

polarisrider1
09-18-2009, 12:10 PM
elf, Your switch did not come with a 2" track stock. My switch (in profile pic) is on its 2nd track 144x15x2 and 3rd set of slides. The first track was still in great shape at 3000 miles 144x15x1 1/2",this sled has never seen pavement. It has 6000 miles on it. So when you swapped out the track I bet slides were done at that time.

elf
09-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Nope, I switched tracks on it after about 100 miles. So the slides are still original. I also have a great 144x1.25 track with about 100 miles on it if somebody wants it. been wrapped up in a ball for 3 years now.

I only ride the north shore of MN so I always have good snow. I ride about 1500 miles/yr, keep the track tenson very loose. I think my current track has 1 lug missing, otherwise in great shape.

doo_dr
09-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Slides wear due to conditions and application,not material. Temp, snow water content,debri (what's on the trail), track tension, track clip configuration (2/3 window tracks), track lug depth, suspension set up, etc... I have had slides last for 3500miles. I have also burnt a set off in a weekend on the taconite covered trails of northern MN. I like the impregnated slides and hyper fax if you are staying on the ice but if you get dirt in them they will shred themselves very quick. Most people wear slides quickly because they have the track tension too tight. They also wear fast if you loosen your limiter all the way out or tighten your front skid frame shock too much. The only thing that I have seen that really helps slide wear for general trail use are the rippled/waved track clips. Ice Scratchers work great as a bolt-on for low snow or ice condtions but remember that if you are on a dirty trail you are throwing up dirt into your skid. And remember that all skids break in slides differently. My parents touring sled looked like it burnt the slide down in the front of the skid (behind the 1st set of idler wheels) in the first 50 miles. With 1500 miles on after, The slides haven't changed.

polarisrider1
09-18-2009, 07:00 PM
doo dr, you answered the question the best. One gold star for you!

lvr1000
09-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Most Mfr make their "slides" out of UHMW-PE. This material ranges from 1.2 ppm to 4 ppm and can only be ram extruded.. Life is based on p/v, and on a sled with a tight track, greatly increases the p and when you have a lot of v, the material gets soft and cold flows. This material melts at under 165F. Virgin material will turn translucent when it melts and will retain its shape unless external factor makes it change.

Look at the "shot marks" on your slides. For the same size profile, the closer the "shot marks" are, the denser (more ppm) the material and better the p/v value. On most slides, the marks are 1/2" to 1".

If it's screw extruded, no shot marks and NOT UHMW-PE, much less p/v value

mjkaliszak
09-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Lvr1000 what is p/v ?

indy_500
09-18-2009, 10:45 PM
i'm on my 3rd set of slides on my 99 indy 500 with 7000 miles. sounds like a lot but when you see some of the stuff i ride on you'd laugh and say "that's a trail?" or "how can you open that?" i've ridden on open trails that have plowed fields that don't even have 1/2 of an inch of snow on them. bumpy plowed fields. and lots of roads. overall i guess 3 sets of slides for 7000 miles is pretty good for me when you look at what i ride on. i do replace my slides about every year. i rode my sled for a half a year after i bought it and put 2000 miles on it. then it had about 4000 miles on it totally in the spring on the original slides. i changed them and put on red graphite ones. i put on over 3000 miles last year and replaced them again. now there's over 7000 miles on the sled and i put on a 3rd set of slides earlier this spring after the snow was gone. i went with red graphite again. the original do last longer but i could've gotten another half year out of my 2nd set but I didn't want to replace them in the middle of winter so i replaced them. i also broke the suspension in an older sled and took some bogie wheels from it and added them to my skid on my 99 indy 500. so hopefully that'll help a lot so i can ride for 2 years on a pair. even though the sled will probably be gone in 2 years

polarisrider1
09-19-2009, 02:01 AM
indy 500, your the man. thank you for the truth. p.s. I am keeping the switch.

indy_500
09-19-2009, 12:34 PM
http://www.johndee.com/discuss/clipart/sad.gif

lvr1000
09-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Sorry mjkaliszak, I was out of town for the weekend.

P= pressure (between your clips and slides). Track tension will be a factor. V= velocity (how fast the clips are sliding on the slides) The faster the sled speed, greater the velocity. The P/V value can be increased by lubrication, like snow. This helps to cool the UHMW-PE (Ultra high molecular weight polyethylene)

doo_dr
09-21-2009, 04:17 PM
polarisrider1 Thanks for the comp. I have run the list of snowmobile uses. From every form of racing (dirt, snowX, drag, speed runs,water,and asphalt) to trail and mountain riding. I have watched alot of "New Technology" come and go. I find the most interesting part is that people like to bolt things on for performance rather than making what they have more efficient. Stock sleds can be "trued up" to run so much more efficient. Better than a $300 clutch kit. I have a summit 156 that requires less than 4lbs of pull to turn the track (stock)! For those in doubt ask Carter. My trail sled is the same and it does not have anti-rachet drivers.
I'm not talking about brain surgery. Carbs that are in tune, clean and straight clutching, Belt deflection, clean and adjusted chain case and gears, skid frame alignment, track alignment and tension, etc... When all of these are good to go, products like reeds, ceramic coating, plug indexing, and clutching really show there worth.