PDA

View Full Version : New Lodging Choice!

redbirchhaus
03-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Hello Everyone!

We wanted to let everyone know that we've just finished a complete renovation of what we think will be a great new choice for Snowmobile, Ski and 4 season Relaxing Getaway lodging to the beautiful western UP for everyone!

It's called Powderhorn Northwoods Suite. We're just beyond the area leading into Ironwood that gets hammered with traffic on Snowmobile Trail #2 in-between Ironwood and Bessemer--right at the base of Big Powderhorn Mountain with all the options for good food, cocktails and entertainment there. You skiers just walk across the street to the slopes...and we have a huge secure parking lot for all the sleds/trailers. John has just added it to the Northwoods Directory. Please check it out at the link below and let us know what you think!

Finally, a great big THANK YOU to everyone who stayed with us again at Red Birch Haus this season. It was our best winter yet and we owe it all to YOU. Thank you, friends! We hope to see you again soon as the Iron County 4-wheeler trails open up for the season and it's time to get in some MUD!
http://www.upnorthlodging.net

hednup2
03-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Good luck and I've put your business in my favorites for next year.

whitedust
03-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Welcome aboardhttp://www.johndee.com/discuss/clipart/happy.gif Always good to have a new enterprise in the Northwoods. Good luck & JDers will bring you new biz from a great site.

wags
03-14-2009, 10:24 AM
I have a question. Is there direct access to the trail from Powderhorn Northwoods Suite or do you have to trailer to the trails?

Last time I was up at Big Powderhorn snowmobiles were not allowed. If this has changed it would be great news.

Good Luck

redbirchhaus
03-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks hednup2 and whitedust! I appreciate it.

Wags-- No, there is no trailering necessary. It's just a straight shot South on the Powderhorn Road frontage 1.8 miles to hook up directly with Trail #2 and there are well marked defined snowmobile routes through Powderhorn village and on over to the Black River Pub & Grub area on Black River Road. I think it is mainly just the area right in front of the main lodge at Powderhorn that is not a snowmobile route--they kind of divert you around that area I think because there is usually so much activity right there.

sam
03-15-2009, 06:11 PM
From what I have heard there is no legal route to the trails.

redbirchhaus
03-15-2009, 08:30 PM
I believe you are mistaken, Sam. There are signed snowmobile routes throughout Powderhorn Village that bring you to the "legal" routes as indicated on the green Powderhorn map that run Sledders into Powderhorn and the Black River Pub & Grub area. (Black River Road a couple blocks to Hedberg Road couple blocks to Sandene Road a short distance to Trail #2. Check with Jon over at the Pub & Grub if you'd like. People heading the other way toward Ironwood ride the right-of way along Powderhorn Road directly to #2.

indybru
03-15-2009, 09:13 PM
This is news to me. I would double check your facts.I have a place at Big Powderhorn there was no legal route as of two weeks ago when I was up. I keep my sleds in storage unit in Wakefield across from Sunday Lake. My neighbor has a garage and he said he takes his chances or just trailers. This route used to take you through Bessemer and it was closed at least 3 years ago.I know they want to fix this big time. At one time you could pass though if you were a resident per the Sheriff and than changed about two years ago also. I have had my place there since 1991 and am a big time snowmobiler.

redbirchhaus
03-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks Indy. I'll make a few phone calls...

redbirchhaus
04-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Good news to report Indy--and everyone else interested. I have talked with the Bessemer Township Board, the City Of Bessemer officials...the Gogebic County Highway Board Commission and the Gogebic County Sheriff's Office Recreation Officer who also is the President of the Gogebic Range Trail Authority...and THERE WILL BE DIRECT TRAIL ACCESS FROM TRAIL #2 TO THE BIG POWDERHORN MOUNTAIN LODGING/ENTERTAINMENT AREA STARTING WITH THE NEXT SNOWMOBILE SEASON!

They have three plans in place and one way or the other--they assure that it will not go another year without direct legal access! http://www.johndee.com/discuss/clipart/happy.gif

indybru
04-16-2009, 08:03 PM
That's great news. Next time we are up we hope to meet you. By the way good luck with your business. Thank you for your support & involvement with the sport in Michigan and Wisconsin.

redbirchhaus
04-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks Indy. Sounds great--I'd look forward to that...

redbirchhaus
07-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Just an update for everyone--great news! Gogebic County has put forth a resolution to open up all county roads to snowmobiles except M28 US2 M64 and US45. So Indy--you'll soon be able to ditch the storage unit in Wakefield and unload and ride directly from your Powderhorn cabin. The Powderhorn Resort area will now have legal direct access to Trail 2 starting this winter!

This is great news for Gogebic County--as this "snowmobiler friendly" resolution will bring in the desperately needed cash that we bring and spend in areas that make it easy for us to do so. This should have been done many years ago for an area so dependent on winter tourism.

Kudos to the Gogebic County Board for taking action to give a jolt to the area's lodging, food/drink, fuel and motorsports businesses! http://www.johndee.com/discuss/clipart/happy.gif

indybru
08-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Wow, that's fantastic. You are on top of it. I mentioned your post to some people including board members at Powderhorn and they had no idea. We were up for a short visit this weekend stained the deck, mowed the weeds and met with a contractor we need a new roof, and are going with metal. Had dinner at the Kimbel Inn. Our Newfy loved the weather we all hated to leave.

wags
10-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Without going back and reading everything are snowmobiles allowed on the streets throughout the Big Powerhorn Assn area, the residential area?

Thanks

indybru
10-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Wags, there are snowmobile routes throughout the village. I would imagine if not a on a specific street you can ride that street to get to them.

One area is separted from the Powderhorn Village, Powdermill Hamlet. You must go on Powderhorn road to get to the Ski Hill and main lodging.

I know on my street snowmobiles go up and down all the time. If I hear anything else I'll let you know. The problem was getting from the Village to the main trail #2.

wags
10-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the update but how about getting there off of the main trail that runs along Rt.2?

redbirchhaus
10-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Straight shot down Powderhorn Road (where the Big Skier is)

Per the Rec Officer, the new ordinance has been written to allow snowmobiles on all county roads except the M and US highways. Snowmobiles must stay to the furthest right area along the roads, including permissible travel on paved portions if the ditch is not passable.

Bottom line: Direct legal access to Powderhorn Village! Should have been done years ago. Powderhorn Village is a fun area with lots of great food/cocktails/lodging and activities. You and your friends like to sled--but the wives like to downhill or cross-country ski? There you go. Skating. Sleigh-rides. Bon fires. The whole deal. Everybody gets to have a blast in their own way and you meet up later on to share a cool drink or two while warming your bones in a toasty bubbling spa... http://www.johndee.com/discuss/clipart/happy.gif

Watch for UpNorth Lodging's new Chalet--Snowblind--a six unit building complete with fireplaces and private 6 person cedar surround hot tub rooms in each 2 bedroom/two bath unit! Coming very soon--two blocks from Big Powderhorn Lodge on the trail route through the village.

http://www.upnorthlodging.net