PDA

View Full Version : Cable Wisconsin

mikenny70
08-24-2009, 11:54 PM
well I just booked a room in cable, wisconsin. this will be the first time that I have stayed in northern wisconsin to go snowmobiling..Anyone have any input on how the snowmobiling is up there? thanks a lot

t660redrocket
08-25-2009, 03:05 PM
IMHO drive another 2 hrs and go to the U.P. You will have snow for sure, have better trails, less people, and an all around better time. Cable is nice, but IF IT SNOWS, about a million other people think it's nice too.

samc
08-25-2009, 08:46 PM
WI trails are to narrow but very nice area.

stormbringr1
08-25-2009, 11:34 PM
The Hayward/Cable area is beautiful and great snowmobiling when there's snow... The problem is--that's not in the Lake Superior snow belt--so the season is generally much shorter and conditions can be iffy depending upon how mother nature plays along... The big snow machine to the north doesn't visit here.

The western UP always has snow--true. Fantastic snow--but very little wooded twisty trails. Mostly unplowed road riding and the grooming generally just doesn't begin to keep up with the traffic volumes.

We've found over the years that the best of both worlds is without a doubt--Iron County, WI. Hurley, Montreal, Iron Belt, Pence, Saxon, Pine Lake, Island lake--these trails are fantastic is you enjoy the wooded twisty variety--and this is right in the heart of the snow belt. If it's winter--you'll find snow here--and almost always fantastic conditions. Another big plus is the White Thunder Riders of northern Iron County really do a superb job of keeping up with the grooming. Lots of fun taverns with good food spread out along the trails as well.

Is it snowing yet? I can't wait! http://www.johndee.com/discuss/clipart/happy.gif

snowlover
08-26-2009, 02:57 PM
If you want to try an area in Wisconsin try north of 2 in the Bayfield area. Nice trails and good snow.
The Cable, Hayward area is absolutely beautiful and the trails very nice...as others have stated when there is snow. I have ridden in the area many times and there are alot of different directions to head with great scenery and trails. If you go during the week it will be the best.
For trail riding I prefer Minnesota (north central or northern) and Northern Wisconsin. I go to the UP to play and get stuck. The trails are wide, straight and boring, though good snow.
I think you will enjoy the area.

crispyknite
08-26-2009, 09:20 PM
When you going? If you book too early in the season you my not get the good snow you like. Hayward is the starting point where the snow belt is. its hit or miss, but when it does hit they get a lot of snow. I rode late last year in 3rd weekend in march, with all the tree cover the trails where great. I go north , northeast or east. If there is a lot of snow go south to hayward. The trails in sawyer co. are all diffrent to nice wide trails to narrow and twisted with a nice scenery.and they groom they trials all the time. some of the nicest trails in wis. And there is 500 miles just in sawyer co. If you go early valhalla is the place to be, thats in northern bayfield co. lot of fire lines and lots of fluffy snow I hope this helped. Happy Trials.

fast_iq
08-30-2009, 12:30 AM
Agree great area can't beat the twisties.

arcticgeorge
08-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Depends when you go....If they have snow it's a beautiful area. A good days ride is to head straight north thru Iron River, Wi. and on thru the Vahalla area and then to Bayfield. It's a full days ride. Try to go to Bayfield and stop at the Pub'N Grub at Vahalla.

robinson
09-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Go head up to Iron River, Brule, Cornie, Valhalla, bayfield, most likely will have snow and some awesome areas to ride! If Ashland has snow you can head up there, clam lake is very nice, same with Butternut and Mellon.

Plenty of areas to ride in northern wisconsin just pick