PDA

View Full Version : Help on a Trip Out West

buckslaya
09-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Hi everyone This is my first post on John Dee but I do look at the page multiple times a week in the winter and fall and would like to thank those who report how the ride is or was because us OHIO boys have to pick and choose when we get to visit Gods Country! Ok now down to business some friends and I are looking into a Trip out west for some steep and deep. We are looking for any help you can give. We will need a place to stay, rent sleds, we will be flying out so maybe rent a car or is there a place that will pick you up from the airport? Do we need a guide for the first day to learn some area or will we be ok out on our own? Also what should we expect to spend on this trip and we donít need a 5 star resort just a warm place to sleep and dry out and have a few cold ones after the ride. We plan on going out for around 5 days maybe ride 3 of them and do some skiing or snowboarding on the last ect. Any Help will be appreciated and thanks for reading we are just kind of up in the air on how to start planning. Also can anyone say when to go or when not to go?

Firecatguy
09-03-2009, 09:03 AM
togwotee

all you have to do is show up they will pick you up at airport rent you a sled feed you and so on..

just open your wallet..hahaha

http://www.togwoteelodge.com/

g_eich
09-03-2009, 09:39 AM
We used Yellowstone tour and Travel when we went out several years ago. It was a package deal, even picked us up at the airport, hotel, breakfast, sleds and guide. Treated us right.

g_eich
09-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Oh and we are from OHIO also. Where you from? We live around the Mansfield area.

buckslaya
09-03-2009, 10:17 AM
We are just down 30 to the west of you near Lima

cuzzinolaf
09-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Like Rusty said...

http://www.togwoteelodge.com/bookonline/winter.cfm

The package is pretty much all inclusive.

tkuss
09-03-2009, 04:16 PM
If you want to ride the Togwotee area, I would recommend Turpin Meadow Ranch. They are only 8 miles down the trail from Togwotee Lodge and have much more reasonable prices. The manager there made sure we had a good stay there last year. I would recommend it to anybody.

Firecatguy
09-03-2009, 05:57 PM
tkuss
I'm not trying to be a dink but I'm getting a little sick of people giving the wrong info on Togwotee!
before you said"much more reasonable rate" did you actually go and look and compare the two?
I did--- and guess what NO it looks to me that turpin is MORE expensive than Togwotee!!
http://www.turpinmeadowranch.com/rates/Winter2009inclusiveSnowmobilingPackages.p df (http://www.turpinmeadowranch.com/rates/Winter2009inclusiveSnowmobilingPackages.pdf)

TOGWOTEE IS A SPONSOR OF JD'S SITE

Hoosier
09-04-2009, 10:13 AM
2nd on Turpin - had a great experience when we went there. Not sure about this year's prices, but 2 years ago they were more reasonable than anything else we found. Not a knock on anyone else, but we were extremely happy with our experience at Turpin.

polarisrider1
09-07-2009, 08:49 AM
I prefer Lava Mountain Lodge. just 30 miles east of Togwotee. Same riding area. www.lavamountainlodge.com (http://www.lavamountainlodge.com)

Firecatguy
09-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Lava has the best food we had out there..

awsome steak with some kinda glaze on it...

tkuss
09-07-2009, 11:14 PM
rusty, maybe prices have changed. I haven't looked at the prices of either togwotee lodge or turpin recently. I did however plan a trip to togwotee last year and decided and stayed on turpin because one of the reasons were lower prices. I believe a fully insured M8 was 20 or so $ less per day, and a cabin was less expensive for 4 people per night as well.

Not trying to give false info here, sorry if I have. Money aside, I had a great time and experience at Turpin Meadow. I am sure Togwotee Lodge is a nice place as well.

ski_dog
09-13-2009, 10:41 PM
I've been to Togwotee twice and stayed in a cabin both times. It was awesome! As far as prices go, we didn't look around so I can't comment on that but everything at Togwotee was great. The only thing that could've been a little better was the food at the saloon. It wasn't terrible but I've had a lot better bar food at other places (like Lava Mountain Lodge). A guy I work with did the "all inclusive" trip last year (flew out, rented sleds) and he had nothing but good things to say about it. I heard that Togwotee was sold since I was out there last ('08) so things may be different. I haven't been to Cooke City, MT but know people that have and they say it's nice there also.

kirk600
10-01-2009, 08:00 PM
I have been to Togwotee 4 times, and every time it was a awesome experience. If you go I would hire a guide for at least one day, they can take you to places you will never find on your own, like river crossings, and they help you get unstuck too!<font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font> Out of 3 different places I have stayed out west, they have given me the best experience.....

fireworks
10-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Going out west on the cheap! Staying in Grand Lake, Col at Bighorn lodge $65/night. And no high resort tax. Renting 2010 M8&#39;s 153&#34; tracks for 7 day discount averaging $129/day at extreme sports on west side of Denver. Free trailer for week as well. They supply you cover, spare belts, plugs &amp; oil supply for week as well. Hotel not the nicest, but clean. Yes, Grand Lake does get crowded at times, but mid week riding should be good. We have winter park, Kremmling &amp; rabbit ears pass to trailer to. Any suggestions on my trip are welcomed. And no, it&#39;s not togwotee. Going Feb 13th-20th.
Any ways, just my two cents.

cuzzinolaf
10-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Rabbit Ears is about 30 minutes from Kremmling, Vail is about 45 minutes to an hour from Kremmling off of Interstate 70. It is a bit of a drive from Grand Lake but is definitely fun if you like steep. We almost booked a cabin in Grand Lake last year but I was warned off by people on Snowest who said it gets crowded. I&#39;m sure riding during the week is better. That is an awesome deal on the sleds and the fact they supply you with a trailer is almost unheard of. You did say that you have Kremmling to trailer to. Keep in mind you can&#39;t ride in Kremmling. The two big areas are Rabbit Ears and Steamboat. When you get up to Rabbit Ears Pass head to the North/Northwest to Buffalo Pass to find the best riding.

fireworks
10-03-2009, 11:56 AM
cuzzinolaf- Yeah, deal of the year on sleds. Main reason my wife and I are choosing Colorado. 1st day of riding on sunday is the trail system of grand lake to get acclimated and figure out the routes. Mon w/ our savings hire a guide to show us the powder. Thurs-Sat we want to stay in Kremmling for cheap and ride Rabbit Ears, misspoke about Kremmling. Any more info on Rabbit Ears let me know, thanks.