PDA

View Full Version : Mph in canada/snowtrain

johnbowman48060
09-25-2009, 07:15 PM
i heard there is a speed limit in canada is that tru? thought about that snowtrain leaving out of the soo. has anyone done it,can u go fast,and how is the prices to do it? thanks for any and all help

famousguy
09-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Speed limit on the trails is 50 KPH.

However, I have never seen anyone get a ticket.

Never taken the train. I have ridden the trails from the Soo all the way north through Hearst and then west to Abitibi Canon and on into Quebec. They are awesome trails.

mr_freeze
09-25-2009, 11:17 PM
I've heard from other riders that the train can be a bit of a hassle if your in a hurry. I guess it stops frequently at times to drop people along the route and it can get ugly unloading your sled in the dark from a railcar. Only hearsay. Don't ride like an idiot and you shouldn't have a problem with the speed. The O.P.P. can be sneaky. They will run radar, ride in vehichles on a road along the trail, and I've personnaly had them follow our groups with a helicopter to check in on us. If you've never gone to Ontario before it's not the worst idea to go with someone who has. Especially if you will be going to some remote areas. Check out my thread in the Ride Board area if you want to go with us this February.

frnash
09-26-2009, 12:27 AM
By the way, remember that 50 KPH = 31.0685597 MPH.
Wow, such breathtaking speed. Hang on to your hat!

lenny
09-26-2009, 09:18 AM
30 mph, lol. You gotta be kidding, sign me right up, I can't wait to go

famousguy
09-26-2009, 11:45 AM
I know that speed limit sounds terrible, but I have never seen it enforced. Nobody on those trails rides at that limit.

I have been riding those trails for 24 years now, and not once have I seen anyone get a ticket. I have seen the OPP in towns, but you have to remember that in northern Ontario, some of those towns are 100 miles apart.

We generally ride betweem 50 and 70 MPH and never had any trouble.

lenny
09-26-2009, 04:12 PM
now that sounds alot better, thanks for the info

united
09-28-2009, 08:17 PM
MN 50 mph all the time
NH 45 mph all the time
WI 55 mph at night

polarisrider1
09-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Okay guys, Do you want the facts? Yes they do have a 50KPH speed limit. Very rarely inforced. The farther North the lesser patroled. Big time inforcement in the lower part of Ontario. I will not disclose speeds that I ride there but I have over 20,000+ miles ridden in Canada and have never been pulled over. Do buy the trail permits. They are checked nightly at the motels in the towns you may be staying at. If anyone is uncomfortable with the speed limit stay in the UP and leave Canada riding for me. If you plan on going get your Passport in order and always get your booze at Duty Free. I recomend the Wawa area for trail and off trail riding. You haven't lived until you ride the Magpie river.

crispyknite
09-30-2009, 01:20 AM
Wisconsin is now 50 MPH at night.

beakjones
09-30-2009, 12:17 PM
There is a 25MPH sign for sleds as you enter Marquette... of course nobody pays attention to it and I probably just informed some people for the first time as it's a good spot to fly by at 70ish.

Hoosier
10-06-2009, 04:02 PM
polarisrider - what's the appeal of riding the magpie river? Just curious.

I've heard the train is kind of a waste of time. You might as well just ride the trails instead of sitting on a train.

polarisrider1
10-06-2009, 07:05 PM
iusmit, You get to see whos sled blows up first and the fear of dying. That and it is great to run wide open for miles and miles once in a while. Watch out for the mushrooms (tree stumps with ice and snow on top.) The train gets old fast. I did the train once. It does have a dining car. hung out there the most. train ran late.

olddrill
10-06-2009, 09:15 PM

famousguy
10-06-2009, 09:29 PM
ok olddrill I will stop going there. That will teach them.

olddrill
10-07-2009, 02:24 AM

famousguy
10-07-2009, 11:42 AM
olddrill

So when you find a road that has a lower posted speed limit than you think it should, do you stop taking that road?

The speed limit in Northern Ontario is a non issue.

At least they have a posted limit as opposed to Michigan where you can get a speeding ticket for any speed at all depending on the mood of the officer.

polarisrider1
10-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Thank you Famousguy, We agree again. lol It is hard to explain Ontario riding, on or off trail. No oncoming traffic all day. Trails Groomed 3 groomer widths wide. Divided lane trails. Good beer, A Moose on the trail can be interesting. building stick bridges over streams and covering the branches with snow (garden tools are handy for this) Experiencing the off trail riding in the Canadian "Badlands". No don't any of you go there. Canada is to crowded with slow pokes. lol After all a good fisherman would never give up his fishing hole.

famousguy
10-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Right on polarisrider1

Why would we want any more riders on those trails?

More riders would ruin that stretch from Halfway Haven to Wawa. Love that stretch of trail..... If I could only lay off the throttle for those 70 miles so I could enjoy the view.....

And don't forget about seeing an occasional Lynx or Wolf on the trail.

Hoosier
10-09-2009, 03:41 PM
I've ridden in Quebec before but not in Ontario. Everytime someone describes the trails in Ontario - 3 groomer widths wide, wide open - it seems sort of boring to me...like cruising on a straight highway. What am I missing? I am interested because of no traffic, but not sure if riding 90 MPH all day going straight sounds like all that much fun.

polarisrider1
10-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Who said anything about going straight? Boring? nothing like riding 90 mph all day long in a tight pack of guys tapping the snow flap of the guy ahead of you with your skis. Knocking out 90 to 110 miles at a time between stops. Sweet! I prefer the "Off trail" riding nowadays. Millions of acres of "Queens land" to boondock in. The Canadian people are very friendly to us. Just about every place we stay in Canada has a Sauna &/or Hot tub. Did I mention "Duty Free" booze.

famousguy
10-09-2009, 05:58 PM
These are not straight boring RR Grades. These are wide scenic trails with sweeping curves.

mr_freeze
10-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Nothing better to my ears than to hear the motor turning out for a 100 miles at a time. Not a single stop sign, not another sled, not a bump. It is hard to believe unless you experience it, not a person, road crossing, any civilization for a hundred miles. The fact that it's -35 makes it even more hard core for me. The fact that I can leave from home and ride to WI, MN, ND, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, and ME, is just priceless.