PDA

View Full Version : 2009-2010 Keweenaw snowmobile maps

keweenaw_cvb
10-06-2009, 04:19 PM
The new 2009-2010 Keweenaw snowmobile trail maps are here! Email info@keweenaw.info or call 888-SNOWFALL for your free copy.

limey
10-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Does the map show a trail between Chassell and Painsdale this year? If so, will it be groomed?

keweenaw_cvb
10-09-2009, 10:16 AM
No Chassell/Painesdale trail yet. They are still working on it but according the the DNR we cannot put it on the map. Same with the railroad grade to Houghton - can't put that on the map either, but it is still usable.

blvette
11-12-2009, 07:43 PM
so will the trail be groomed this year

johnbowman48060
11-12-2009, 11:02 PM
wow i was just going to ask that same ?? limey. no matter what i can still get to painesdale from chassell? that would be great. i have never been that fare. i am looking to leave out of barga and make it all the way to copper habor and back. would any one know how long it would take to get there and back?

limey
11-13-2009, 05:54 AM
I rode the railroad grade from Chassell to Houghton last season. It was not groomed all season and was the worst 10 miles of trail I've ever seen. The trail crosses driveways and people would plow the snow across the trail. One guy flipped his sled.

I don't mean to sound critical, but the trail linking Chassell to Houghton is one of the biggest cluster f*@ks I've ever seen. Both trails were open last season but neither was groomed or had any signage, which doesn't really sound like it was open does it. The State, clubs, and locals talk about the situation but I don't think they are any closer to a resolution. I heard from several sources that discussions on who would groom the Chassell-Painsdale trail and be paid for it broke down last year. Come on guys, sort it out!

admin
11-13-2009, 06:22 AM
I realize that there are many that are anxious to have a trail from Chassell to the Houghton area going again. Keep in mind that the old railroad corridor from Chassell to Houghton was NEVER a groomed trail. Many years ago it was a local access trail, but was never part of the grant sponsored trail system that gets groomed in the Keweenaw.

There are many factors at play here and solutions are being worked on, but the nature of many of the problems as well as the nature of many of the solutions is not going to allow a solution to happen overnight.

Just know that the Keweenaw Trails Services (grant sponsor responsible for the trails in the Keweenaw and of which I am a board member) recognizes the extreme importance of having a secondary way to enter the Keweenaw (ie. from Baraga to Chassell to the Houghton area) and we are working very hard on solutions to get a secondary trail in.

I just ask that persons please be patient with us and if you ride the old railroad grade (which is legal) from Chassell to Houghton that you ride with extreme caution, respect the persons that live along that corridor and know that it will not be groomed or signed.

-John

limey
11-13-2009, 01:28 PM
This saga started in 2005 and four years later, whilst there has been numerous court decisions and discussions at the State and local levels, the trail is still not open. It might be complicated, but keep in mind that Boeing designed, assembled, and put into production their 747 in four years, which is a whole lot more complicated than getting 10 miles of trail open.

So rather than complain further, what can we do to accelerate the process of getting the trail reopened?

By the way, the old railroad grade is very dangerous because local land owners pile up snow across the trail. I don't blame them as the trail at times is less than 100 feet from their front door. It is not a long term solution.

admin
11-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Not really sure what the connection to the 747 is, sort of like comparing apples to motor oil, but the courts only made the final ruling on that trail in the past year or so, so that is how long we here at KTS have had to try and work with that stretch of land.

The truth is there really is not much anyone on the outside can do. There are many, many problems with that corridor becoming an official groomed trail. For one, due to all the driveway banks that would need to be pushed back, it would take a groomer pretty much the full 8 hour shift just to groom that little 10 mile stretch. Very costly and not something that is not very attractive. Not only would there be great revenue lost, but you would tie up a groomer for an entire shift just to that 10 miles. Plus, even if it was groomed, it would be a trail that travels within 100 feet or less of many homes that are along that corridor. You can argue all you want that the homeowners built the homes there and they should have realized a trail would go in there, but that does not change the fact that having a snowmobile trail that close to homes is a recipe for disaster and one that will only lead to snowmobiling looking bad by the actions of just a few among us.

So, like I say, solutions are being worked on, but these things take time. I cannot get into the details of what is being worked on either as it could put some of the solutions in jeopardy of happening.

So I guess what you can do is to be patient with the process and if you REALLY have to use that corridor, do so with caution and respect for the persons who live along the corridor.

I have good confidence that a permanent solution will be found, I just cannot promise when it will happen.

-John

daytonsnogoer
11-24-2009, 05:13 PM
I have a suggestion concerning the grooming and maintainence of the Houghton-Chassel trail. Perhaps each of the 10,000 registered users of this free site would donate a buck or two to pay for sponsoring the John Dee/Make a Wish trail. Just a thought.

venturenorth
11-29-2009, 04:14 PM
I have the Keweenaw map.

Is there a Baraga county trail map ? Iron River area?

motor_slut
12-05-2009, 03:53 PM
I rode the railroad grade from Chassell to Houghton last season. It was not groomed all season and was the worst 10 miles of trail I've ever seen. The trail crosses driveways and people would plow the snow across the trail. One guy flipped his sled.

I don't mean to sound critical, but the trail linking Chassell to Houghton is one of the biggest cluster f*@ks I've ever seen. Both trails were open last season but neither was groomed or had any signage, which doesn't really sound like it was open does it. The State, clubs, and locals talk about the situation but I don't think they are any closer to a resolution. I heard from several sources that discussions on who would groom the Chassell-Painsdale trail and be paid for it broke down last year. Come on guys, sort it out!

OK you want to help? Come here and take over and see where you get with it. Building a damn plane is one thing but dealing with laws and private landowners is something completely different. One landowner saying NO to a trail through their property is all it takes to completely stop a trail and that's what happened.

blvette
12-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Are all the legal challenges done for this issue. I figured since the court ruled on it something would happen pretty quick. I am sure you guys are working hard on the issue. I rode the railroad grade last year and was pretty dangerous to say the least. I would think if someone got hurt some of the owner of the land would of been liable, plowing up embankment putting debris on top of trail and such. Is there anything that we can help with on this to move it forward. Again thanks for all the hard work.