PDA

View Full Version : Best time For out West

buckslaya
11-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Hi guys I am in the process of planning a trip out west and would like to know when the best time of year to go is. There will be 6 of us and noone has ever been sleding out west so we are looking for any and all info you can give. Thanks

thebreeze
11-12-2009, 02:05 PM
If you want the best chance at DEEP powder, Late Dec-Feb. is your best bet. You can get some epic powder until late april if you hit it right. I like heading out there late March to Mid april after the season is already about done in the midwest. Spring riding is great in the mountains. You can be out riding in 40 degree weather on 12 feet of base. You can also get some great deals on lodging late season out there.

polarisrider1
11-12-2009, 07:38 PM
I like going out the last weekend of March for Togwotee. Visit the Jackson Hole hill climb for at least 1 day. The day are longer in March and it is actually quite warm. 35-40 degrees. Tons of snow. Hero snow for the newbies and spots still with great Powder. I have also been out there 4 times during the 2nd week of December and had great riding. No complaints on riding out west from me. How you getting there? Are you renting sleds?

buckslaya
11-13-2009, 08:31 AM
We will be Flyin out and renting sleds. So it sounds as if any time from Late Dec to March would be a good time?

cuzzinolaf
11-13-2009, 09:18 AM
I have been out west a few times. Best times so far were late November and middle of April. I'm hoping that changes for our Togowotee trip this Jan. No matter when you go it is a crap shoot. I'd agree with above that your best chances for good snow are late December to February.

woody01
11-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Also keep in mind that your best chance for Avy's are late December thru February as well - just another reason our group has either gone out in early December (probably not the best choice this season however) and late March.

Last March during hillclimb they still had around 93" on the ground up in the pass and no Avy's in sight. . .combine that with long, warm, bluebird days and you've got a winning combination!!