PDA

View Full Version : Munising to Tahquamenon Falls

pfd_crew
11-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Have any of you ever made this ride, if so what was the mileage and how long did it take. any info would be appreciated.
thanks

xpr800
11-14-2009, 09:14 PM
If you do it between a Monday thru a Thursday, it can be done there & back in a long day if there is good snow, Friday & weekends are busy & bumpy, There are 2 ways you can take out of Munising, Trail 7 from munising south, then go on 8 East thru Grand Marais & Paridise, then 45 twards the falls, this is the longer way, or you can take 8 East to 43 twards Seney then 492 to 9 to Newberry & then 45 North to the falls, either way is a days ride round trip. I do that loop several times a season in 1 day with my groups that come & stay with me & do know some short cuts though. It will be well over 200 miles to go to the Falls & back to Munising. I would do this in Feb. You will have the best chance of good conditions. Have fun, R.P.

2tonheavy
11-14-2009, 10:34 PM
If you go early season the swamp on southwest side of the falls is not frozen,and the groomer does not groom.best as xpr800 said later in season,last 5 mile section can get ruff.

pfd_crew
11-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks guys, i appreciate it, cant wait to ride.

limey
11-15-2009, 05:30 AM
Did this loop last January on MLK Monday. We rode from Munising's Comfort Inn to Grand Marais, over to Paradise (but didn't go into town), and down to Tahquamenon Brewery for lunch. For the trip back, we continued on to Newberry, over to Curtis, up to Seney, over to Shingleton, and then headed south for dinner at the Boot Lake Bar and Restaurant. After dinner, rode straight back to the hotel.

Total distance was 308 miles. We left the hotel at 08:00 and got back at 21:00. We had a 75 min lunch at the brewery and a 90 dinner at Boot Lake.

The ride was a blast except for the ungroomed section south of Seney. The trail sections groomed by Munising were complete washboards by the end of the day so quite a bit bumpy coming in. Every other section of trail was perfect.

viper700s
11-17-2009, 09:27 PM
This is almost a 300 mile ride in one day we do this everytime we go to Munising and eat at the falls Brewery which is great food. Depending on how you ride we have left at 10 in the morning and have gotten back to munising at about 11 at night.

doc_mark
11-19-2009, 10:30 PM
We like to make the trip in two days. Stop for dinner at the Falls and then head to Paradise for the night. The Best Western is a great place to stay. Then head up to Whitefish Point and back to Munising the next day. That is a nice leisurely pace. Then you have lots of time for off trail riding.