PDA

View Full Version : Need info from those who go out west, first trip to Togwotee

dekx
11-17-2009, 05:18 AM
Ok, I booked a trip out west for the first time, and have a few questions for you guys that have been out there:

First, I am out there for 5 days. The first day I am doing Yellowstone with a guide, second day will be off trail with a guide and the rest of the trip I have the option of have a guide or not. SO the question I have, on those other days I am wanting to ride mostly trails due to the partner that is going with me. Are the trails pretty easy to navigate, are they well marked...I know stops are far and few in between but can it be done on my own? I've been riding the great lakes region since 1988 and have no issues navigating my way on these trails.

Secondly, I am wanting to get maps in my hand from Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana but the only ones I could find are printable ones in a PDF file where i would rather have an actual map in my hand. Anyone know where I can get these?

Any and all help will be appreciated and I thank those that answer in advance.

admin
11-17-2009, 05:38 AM
The trails are very well marked and you should not have any problems navigating them by yourself. Just be mindful of the weather. Should a good storm blow in, visibility will drop to near zero in the open meadows and that would present some real challenges and potential dangers.

They have printed maps for the CDST (Togwotee) trail system. I would call the lodge and see if they can send you one. If not, ask them how to get one. They do carry them at the lodge, so if you don't need one until you get there, you will be fine.

Have fun!

-John

dekx
11-18-2009, 03:13 AM
John,
Thanks alot for the fast response, I can't wait!

longtrack
11-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Wyoming will send out Maps for all areas on request.

machz120
11-24-2009, 10:50 AM
I was there in 2005. If you are planning on riding off trail in deepsnow (like the videos) you will want to work out first (good cardio workout as well as weight training)It is one of the most fun things I have done but if your not in good shape you will spend alot of time resting trying to catch your breath. We had Matt Binion for a guide (highly recommend him) He took us to many new snow places before anyone else got to them & had me so turned around & lost we kept him every day. The area is so huge that there is no way you will be able to explore & get the most out of your trip without a guide. I had a GPS but let me tell you it does not compare. If you want to ride & not worry its the best.

renegade
11-24-2009, 11:25 AM
I would go with the guide. They are really good at judging your riding style and abilities and will take you off trail in only places you can handle and will enjoy. Maybe even your partner will find to like off trail riding if it is not so step and deep. Plus the guides will know of vistas that are slightly off trail you will not know about. The guides are professional and do a great job, and by the end of the week you will have new friends. Have fun!!

woody01
11-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Excellent choice of area - specifically for a first time out there. The folks at TML will take excellent care of ya.

I of course echo everything that has been said but will reiderate/add the following points:

1.) If you haven't booked via the "package" rates you really should. Value can not be matched.

2.) If you smoke - quit - if you're not working out (cardio) start.

3.) The guide's are the way to go - specifically for the first time out there. You'll see so much more than you would without.

4.) Not sure when you're heading out but if it's during hillclimb it's an event that's not to be missed. . .even if just for an afternoon. Also don't forget the nightlife in Jackson!!

5.) Bring along several different lens tints/colors if you wear goggles. When the light is "flat" out there it can make visability (or lack thereof) very interesting.

6.) If you drink - consume a glass of water for each drink you have - you'll pee alot but a hangover at elevation will kill a day or two of riding.

7.) Don't forget the Advil - you're going to be sore - especially after the day of off-marked.

8.) Dressing in layers is more key than ever - as temp can vary greatly between elevations, conditions and sun/no-sun.

9.) Bring lot's of film/memory cards - the photo ops are endless

10.) Don't worry about seeing everything - I can pretty much guarantee you you'll be going back

dekx
11-24-2009, 07:07 PM
This is why thi9s site is great, I got so much info from everyone and appreciate all that everyone had put on here.

I took evrything you all have said and it is done/being done/or will be done soon.

Im sure I will be posting pics when I come back!

Thanks again everyone

polarisrider1
11-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Great info woody01!

woody01
11-25-2009, 01:30 AM
Not a problem - several seasons out at TML have proved many things. . . .some of those were hard lessons learned.