PDA

View Full Version : Melstrand Store?

g_eich
11-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Did they get new gas pumps installed after snowplow accident last year? Just trying to plan ahead, anyone know?

polarisrider1
11-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Not sure, they sure were close to the road. The last time I was there they were out of gas, so I sat at the bear trap for a sunny Saturday afternoon. with an empty sled and many beers later until, I was able to snag a ride back to Grand Marais. Shingleton may be iffy this yr. too.

2tonheavy
11-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Bear Trap sells gas by the 5 gallons,at least they did last year.

polarisrider1
11-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Good to know, I was stuck there 2 yrs. ago. What about Shingleton gas station. Last I knew the word was the bank shut it down. And it was going to re open.

pfd_crew
11-17-2009, 11:39 PM
i beleive it was still closed when we were through there this summer, sad, it is a good location.

xpr800
11-18-2009, 09:26 PM
No gas in Shingleton as of November 09, Don't look promising there, you either have to by the Melstrand 78 octane, (if he has any), the Bear Trap sold it by 5 gallon cans the 08/09 season & probably will again this year or bump on over to Munising if you can make it that far, Grand Marais is the closest gas East of there?? Too bad the poor economy shut down a few good gas stations, restaurants & other small business spots. It just makes it tougher to plan a long trip. I carry the 2.5 gallon gas caddy on the renegade so I can make it between most gas stops. You guys may have to invest in the extra gas storage units, I have seen some pretty neat stuff other than the Ski Doo version. Good luck guys & I hope you don't run out of gas.

polarisrider1
11-18-2009, 10:40 PM
I used to run a tourbuddy system on my switch. The edge has all kinds of room under the hood. Problem now is my Pol. RMK755 IQ has no place to even fit a hot dogger let alone a spare tank. I am not big on straping a 2.5 gallon fire bomb on the back of sled. Looks like shorter stints out to Kingston Plains between returns to Grand Marais. www.tourbuddy.com (http://www.tourbuddy.com)

tree_acres_camp
11-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Hello all,
I have a cabin on h-15 between Shingleton and the Bear Trap. I was up there in the middle of October and can tell you no gas in Shingleton, and Melstrand store has gone under "heard it was poor management" i don't know. There is fuel at Boot Lake Bar it is 5 miles south of Shingleton or Wetmore 10-12 miles to the west. I will keep you all informed of any changes.

tree_acres_camp
11-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Patty where you at you live in the area?

Pizza Man
11-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Patty, are you still in Shingelton?
Please check this out for us.

doonegade
11-19-2009, 02:51 PM
TESTERS SNOW-BELT LODGE (THE OLD SAW MILL) JUST SOUTH OF TRAIL 88 ON M-77 HAS GAS. OLD SCHOOL GAS PUMP BUT GOOD FUEL. ALSO A GOOD PLACE TO STAY MANY DIFFERENT CABINS & 15-20 MINUTES FROM THE PLAINS

g_eich
11-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Yea, we found out that Bear Trap had gas when we went to Melstrand and no pump. So while we were filling up 4 sleds at Bear Trap there were 2 guys waiting to follow us out to the plains, the one guy went out on the road and got hit by a Tahoe, so as we waited for medic/ sheriff it really shortened the afternoon.

We just like to go to Melstrand before we head in to play in the plains. We also carry the spare cans, but just like to play and not have to worry about getting 4 sleds back to Wetmore to fill up.

polarisrider1
11-19-2009, 06:44 PM
I may have to rethink riding in the area. My Pol.likes the fuel. Bear trap burgers may be a thing of the past. To add fuel pumps to todays standards is outrages. You have to admit the guy at Melstrand (not the owner) was not the friendlest guy. and the pumps were awfully close to the road. And your sled just never did run right with there fuel. Yet I am going to miss them. Seems like somebody would see the potential of the Shingleton station since the trail runs under the pump canopy. I have gotten belts, oil, plugs, snickers bars, chips, hand warmers, pop and a battery for my truck there. the pumps are all updated to. And they are right on the Highway. Just need the right people to run it and the bank to sell it cheap to them.

teamarctic
11-21-2009, 04:50 PM
i dont think testers sells gas to the public. it is only for the guests renting his cabings.

xpr800
11-21-2009, 09:50 PM
OK Guys, I just went up to personally check on this matter on Friday November 20th. The Shingleton staition is closed with a for sale sign on it. no one is there & it does not look promising for this season. the Melstrand store is also closed for business at this time & is for sale. We talked to the people at the Bear Trap. They said they do not sell gas but they do have gas available in 5 gallon containers for those sleds that need some to get to where they are going, they also said there was an offer pending on the Melstrand General Store & if it was accepted, they were going to try to be open for gas by the 09 / 10 snowmobile season. Also there is a new gas pump there. The Shingleton gas station was forclosed on & is for sale by the bank, it does have a recent fuel system but the building is to be desired, someone needs to buy it & put up a new small building & have a conveinent store / gas station buisness. I took some photo's of both places but cant figure out how to post them so you dont get the pic's but you do get the correct info for this thread. Snow is predicted on this Thursday, Thanksgiving, it wont be enough to ride but its a start.

doonegade
11-21-2009, 09:53 PM
I didn't say it's a kwik trip... however if you're in a pinch they'll hook you up.

doonegade
11-21-2009, 10:00 PM
hey xpr800-

what's going on at the old Mark's repair?

xpr800
11-21-2009, 10:05 PM
as for the comment for the bear trap gas, they had some <font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font> report them last year for selling gas without the proper gas selling &#40;red tape&#41; stuff so they just wanted to say they were NOT a gas station that sells gas, but do have it if you need it. The Marks Repair Building is also vacant &amp; for sale, Too bad it was not on the same side as the gas station because it would be a perfect building for it

doonegade
11-21-2009, 11:17 PM
It is a shame, that would be the perfect shop. Also xpr800, I just looked at your profile and I can definitely appreciate the &#34;slightly bent&#34; thing! Damn Ski-Doo&#39;s!! LOL!!

2tonheavy
11-22-2009, 08:13 AM
XPR800 was slightly bent by a damn yami,not self inflicted.What a shame 12 miles on a new sled.The guys @ Fish and Hunt shop put her right.

famousguy
11-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Is the Shingleton gas station listed for sale by a realtor? If so, does anyone know which realtor?

polarisrider1
11-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Contact any realtor and they will figure it out. They need to earn thoses big bucks they charge. What ya thinking Famousguy, I think it could be a Gold mine. Location is great! needs convenience store and building closer to pumps.

famousguy
11-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Just pondering a bit. Business is slow for me right now, and I am just getting ideas here.

I agree. With a better building by the pumps, it could be a gold mine.

woody01
11-24-2009, 03:44 PM
I would think you could even be successful there with an un-attended 24hr pay-at-the-pump type of scenario. Could probably even make it seasonal - supply and demand should be able to draw a premium there.

Not having a consistent source for fuel in that area has been a major pain in the azz for I&#39;m sure thousands of people each season.

The pumps are there - bring in the fuel and manage the rest remotely. In fact I&#39;m surprised the BP station at M-28 &amp; H-13 doesn&#39;t pick up Shingleton as an additional location.

It could certainly be managed from there and receive fuel when they get it themselves.

Anyone know the owners there in order to pose the question?

polarisrider1
11-24-2009, 04:52 PM
woody01, it has gone back to the bank. Last time I was by there a notice was on the door on who to contact. I will do some research.

frnash
11-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Are un-attended pay-at-the-pump operations legal in Michigan? I seem to recall that they&#39;re not.

woody01
11-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Sure would be great to have reliable fuel back in Shingleton again - specifically when it&#39;s trailside.

heckler56
11-24-2009, 09:40 PM
What bank is holding the property? If you are uncomfortable mentioning the name, I can understand.

polarisrider1
11-24-2009, 10:09 PM
No luck searching for info on the Internet about the Gas station. frnash, We have an Un-attended pay-at the pump set up at Grand Isle Marina in Grand Haven, MI. I also have used an Un-attended pay-at-the-pump at a station on Highway 2 between Hurley and Escanaba at about 3am. The guys woke me in the back of the truck to pump fuel since I was the only one with a credit card. That pump let me do $50 at a time. It took awhile to get 200 gallons of diesel. Rumour has it, we still have a few drive thru liquor stores around too!

xpr800
11-24-2009, 10:27 PM
For info on the Shingleton gas station, try calling the bear trap &amp; ask Annie, she may know or could send you in the right direction. &#40;906&#41; 452-6364