PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for New Years?

paliga
11-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Just wondering if anybody know the hoppin spot for New Years in the UP. My wife and I planned a trip and I am staying in Rockland at peppermill. I've never been to the UP before,and also my wife has never trail riddin. Any tips for her liking. Let me know. Thanks

paliga
11-24-2009, 12:01 PM
????

mspease
11-24-2009, 12:11 PM
It's a 30 mile trail ride away from Rockland, but I've celebrated New Year's twice on Lake Gogebic before. You start out at the Hoop 'N Holler which is in the eastern time zone. Celebrate New Year's there and then head south on the lake to the Root Cellar or Gogebic Lodge. They are in the central time zone so you can celebrate the New Year again.

Trails to ride would be trail 13 loop that is very near you, head to Lake of the Clouds one day, and be sure to hit the Lake Gogebic area one day too. Since your wife has never been trail riding, trail #3 towards Houghton could be good as it's mostly old railroad bed and pretty straight and safe. Have a good time!!

mikesvmax
11-24-2009, 12:25 PM
How many miles is it from Peppermill to Lake of the Clouds? I'm thinking about this trip later this year but only get 60 miles to a tank.

special_k
11-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Great area to ride overall, no question. i would caution you however. I would not plan on celebrating New Years eve on Lake Gogebic (twice), then riding back up to Rockland at say, 1am in the morning. On a map looks like a short ride, but if your wife hasn't done it, I might skip it. Just my $.02.

mspease
11-24-2009, 12:35 PM
If you take trail 13 from Rockland south to 101 north to 12 west and 1 north, you will be in White Pine. That will be about 35 miles and you can get gas at the Konteka just off of the trail. From there it's about 20 miles up to Lake of the Clouds.

ragsled
11-24-2009, 01:21 PM
I have been going to that area for "He double hockey sticks Week" for the last 11 years and my observation is that there is no single hoppin' spot for New Years. I have sat in the Buckhorn (Mass City), Tige's (also Mass City), Beer Belly Bobs (Greenland), Mosquito Inn (Toivola) and some others that are now out of business and what I noticed is that the locals are in and out all night looking for "the spot" while tourists like me just park our butts for a few hours. With that said, any bar COULD be hoppin'. There is a NO SMOKING ALLOWED bar in Greenland called the Pit Stop and of course Rockland has Henry's Never Inn.

paliga
11-24-2009, 02:22 PM
How long(time wise) is it from lake gogebic? Riding at a pretty slow speed considering my wife has never rode.

special_k
11-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Depends on what "pretty slow" is.....could take you 2+ hours if you are really slow.

paliga
11-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Ok well a good pace like 40 through the trails and opened up on the straights.