PDA

View Full Version : Skiiing snowmobile trip New years U P

4strknytro
11-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Any advise on where to stay to bring a family of six. Looking to stay hill- side and then snowmobile at anytime to the trails. Does this exist? Rent a place for the week. Nothing fancy needed.

peppermill
11-29-2009, 09:35 PM
We are located in Rockland. Porcupine Ski Hill is about 20-25 miles away. Snowmobile trails are right out of town. You can go any direction you like. We have fully furnished houses. We do have openings for New Years. Check out our web-site at www.peppermillrentals.com (http://www.peppermillrentals.com)

thebreeze
11-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Ski Brule is a nice family setup for both skiing, and good trail access.

snow_chaser
11-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Where do you want to ski?

4strknytro
11-29-2009, 10:42 PM
I am guessing that most of the ski hills are in the Hurley area?

ranlam
11-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Konteka in White Pine, MI. 10 miles from Porcupine Mtn. 50 minutes away from Hurley. Restraunt, bowling alley, bar. Right on trail 1.

indybru
11-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Should be able to do this at Big Powderhorn Ski Area and Blackjack Ski area ( open again this year?) Possibly at Indianhead. They are located in the Western UP. Bessemer, Wakefield, Michigan good luck.

snobinge
11-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Powderhorn, Blackjack and Indianhead all have trail access. Powderhorn was the farthest from the trail, but I believe they have improved the access route. By farthest I mean like 1 mile. ;) I do this with my wife's family ski trip annually at Big Powderhorn. I have skied them all and find that Powderhorn offers the best skiing for all levels. If you stay in the village you also will have access to the pool and hot tub at the Caribu Lodge for the kids. Powderhorn also offers three restaurants/bars right on the hill. I like Blackjack as well, but not as family friendly. I was not impressed with the skiing at Indianhead. Email me if you have any questions.
tackerman1@wi.rr.com

maddog24
11-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Blackjack was bought and is re opening this year. Its right on the trail and even has Sno mo parking in front of the lodge. (at least it used to)

bladeguy
11-30-2009, 06:55 PM
porkies are not reliable early as they do not make snow.

Whitecap is a fun hill. You can get to it by snowmobile. Only problem is there is only one trail to get to it and honestly it can be rough. Fun skiing though. Depends on your focus. I love the skiing but the amenities such as food and loding can be sub-par. Some loging is great some is eh...

redbirchhaus
12-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Come stay with us, 4strknytro... Both SnowBlind Chalet and Powderhorn Northwoods Suite are right in Powderhorn Village at the base of Big Powderhorn Mountain--2 blocks from the main lodge--with direct access to Trail 2...

The condos in SnowBlind Chalet are all 2 bedroom/2 full bath with fireplace and private 6-person hot tub room in each unit...

Powderhorn Suite is a very comfortable deluxe 2-level loft suite done in log. Plenty of room for the trailers, etc... You can see photos and info at http://www.upnorthlodging.net We still have some availability over the holidays. Rates include up to 4 guests--but since this is a family deal and you're a JDer--we can let the extra 2 person charges per night slide...

thebluff
12-01-2009, 05:21 PM
LOL- I will jump in on this too!

The Bluff www.thebluff.biz (http://www.thebluff.biz) in Rockland. Fully furnished, kitchen, 4 bedroom, living room (1500 sq ft apt).

mattw@wiesen.com

4strknytro
12-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Decisions,Decisions. Thanks for all the recommendations. I really like the Porkies but the lack there of snow for skiing at that time is making me shy away. Then there's the Powderhorn area that will definitely have skiing but could lack inland snow for the trails. I need a crystal ball.

snow_chaser
12-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Actually, Powderhorn sits in prime LES belt, and trails around it. If anyone is going to have considerable snow cover by then, that area surely will.
Eric

bonnevier
12-01-2009, 10:14 PM
I can add in my 2 cents as well...I would go with the Big Powderhorn area. You have everything you need in the area, access to trails, etc... you can try this site for all the houses/condos around the base area: http://www.bpla.com