PDA

View Full Version : Illinois trails

dekx
12-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Just wondering if anyone can help. My nephew finally is old enough and finished the snowmobile safety class and is ready to ride (Woooo Hoooo!). If we get the mid week storm and it pans out, where can we pick up and Illinois trail and would they be open? I live 30 miles s/w of Chicago so driving anywhere is good with me. Would like to get him out a few times before the trip up north at the end of the year. Thanks.

jbammon68
12-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Trails in the Rockford area don't officially open until Dec 15th. There is alot of corn still up and trails may not be marked as of yet. You can check out TCSNOWMOBILE.COM for the TriCounty alliance maps and info.

Lots of good riding and parking at locations for the Jane Addams trail http://www.janeaddamstrail.com/ good jumping off point for the area and points north.

Good Luck!

snoeatr
12-06-2009, 10:29 PM
The majority of Il trails don't open until Dec. 15th although there are a few sections and trails that are open with conditions permitting. Even if the trails were open, still too much corn in the fields to be able to ride anywhere. The local clubs get permission for use of the property from each farmer and land owner so finding your own way around the standing crops would not be legal and you shouldn't do it. I hope as much as you do that they can get the corn in very soon. I'm stuck in the subdivision until they harvest at the end of my street, its the only way out without a trailer. If you want to only put on 15-20 miles, the Great Western Trail from Sycamore to Lily Lake or maybe even western St. Charles(not sure were the trail ends) is open after 4 inches of snow.

bankers_hours
12-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Trails in the Roscoe area are only partially put in and lots of crops still standing. 12/15 might be the official opening date, but if crops are not out of the fields we run through, the opening will be delayed. Please respect our landowners and don't ride the trails until they are officially opened.

sledrider103
12-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Yep I am from Roscoe,Il and I will probably just do some ditch banging and ride on my own property. The good news is the farmers have picked alot of crops over the weekend and I actually saw a combine still trucking at 8pm tonight!

mguthrie
12-07-2009, 12:10 AM
It's Illinois hit the ditches!

rtippett33
12-07-2009, 02:06 PM
This link might help. Also when the trails are open the Hennepin Canal is a good place but stay off the canal water.

http://www.ilsnowmobile.com/trail_maps_2.html