PDA

View Full Version : Vilas County/Phelps Snow

CatsOnly
12-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Anyone got current depth? Snow totals from this storm, I know there is more to come but just wondering now.

Hiawatha I know your close and have great updates!!

Will be up this weekend to go north.

hiawatha
12-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Hey Cats,
With all the blowing going on really hard to tell for sure so I went out and just measured...
4 times... got 5", 6", 8" and 10" ... so somewhere around there.. LOL
- that was measured in Phelps tonite

whitedust
12-10-2009, 01:31 AM
4PM Measured between 10-13 inches so call it a foot in SE Phelps. SE Phelps got a little more than north or west. Phelps is a huge land mass.

ubee
12-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Heard the twin cities of Alvin &Nelma got 12 inches! Good time to get out and do some brushing for your club before the trails open!

440_chazz
12-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Heard the twin cities of Alvin &Nelma got 12 inches! Good time to get out and do some brushing for your club before the trails open!

Weren't they supposed to do that in like November. I know our club did. HAHA. Each year is different from the previous, one year trails are in and ready to go by mid november, others we are scrambling pounding stakes in frosted ground and a foot of snow.

Running Bear
12-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Frosty Club in land o lakes has started panning the trails hoping to pack it all down for opening day. 12 inches they think.....?...windy

Running Bear
12-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Got the word from the Frosty Club in Land O'Lakes trails are open and groomed

CatsOnly
12-10-2009, 09:56 PM
any way i could take roads or blonde? rd and make my way to landolakes on monday?

Trailering up to houghton on sunday but would want to leave from cabin on monday, save some time, even though its like a 10 min drive to lando gas station!

whitedust
12-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Lando trail system is open now. Eagle River,Conover & Phelps are closed. I looked at Phelps trails today & have not been touched no grooming no tracks but plenty of snow. Tuesday all Trails should be open. Secondary roads all snow covered. You need to find out where Lando trail system begins on 6W & you are on your way.

hiawatha
12-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Looks like Phelps were out panning yesterday (at least the 2 I saw) trails by Great Escape and Northern Exposure were panned.

whitedust
12-11-2009, 02:16 PM
hiawatha: Good to hear. Not touched at St Louis Rd around 2:30PM yesterday. What time did you see them?

skidoodoug
12-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Would they (any club) open the trails even if the lakes are not safe?

whitedust
12-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Lakes have nothing to do with it closed due to extended deer hunt. When lakes are iffy they open & tell you to stay off lakes.

CatsOnly
12-11-2009, 02:41 PM
So would I be able to jump on the trail just north of town that goes near sugar maple lake and jump on the lando trails monday or is it still illegal?

whitedust
12-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Lando says they are open unless you come on a closed gate. Phelps trails closed. I think the road you are looking for is Blong. Take your car on Blong & figure it out not far to Lando trails from there+you have the power lines to ride thru. New WI law 264 limits a lot of off trail riding in WI but I'm still doing what I did before until enforcement stops me. We are just going to have to push boundaries until they stop us.

hiawatha
12-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Whitedust..
It was probably around 2:30 yesterday - went for a late lunch at Great Escape and they were out then.

CatsOnly
12-11-2009, 03:05 PM
yes thats the road, i could cut through trail or take road for about a mile to hit blong then i know where to go, dont track up the power lines for me please!!

Where are you located in phelps, maybe we could meet up monday mess around, was thinking about heading to bond falls for the day.

whitedust
12-11-2009, 03:17 PM
catsonly: I'm SE of the town Phelps & would take unplowed FRs to trail but have to get on Phelps trails to skirt North Twin Lake until lake is ready for riding. If I could get to where you are there are lots of unplowed FRs to ride but I can't get there without riding Phelps trails. So I'm locked in until the trails open. Actually I ride more FRs than Phelps trails but need the trail as a connector.

hiawatha
12-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Whitedust..
We must be neighbors! :)

whitedust
12-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Hiawatha: I'm on Spectacle Lake where are you?

hiawatha
12-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Off of St. Louis not too far from Northern Exp.

whitedust
12-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Where do you get on 17... St Louis or Deerskin? I get on at Schroder ....longer but nice ride on FRs & 17 from my house more about the ride than getting to trail quickly.

hiawatha
12-11-2009, 04:45 PM
We usually ride out of the Hiawatha coz thats where our sleds mostly are. if they're up here usually Deerskin tho

CatsOnly
12-11-2009, 05:35 PM
I saw from a couple spots saying trails in wi will open on the 14th, which makes more sense to be after a weekend on monday not tuesday. Just wondering even though I'll be out from cabin straight to land o lakes then from there likely bond falls but that wont take all day.

Have you guys heard the same or different?

whitedust
12-11-2009, 05:56 PM
This is the latest update firm Phelps that I can find & he says Dec 16th back in Nov. but I'm riding the 15th unless they up date the site sooner.

Reported by: **** Schultz
Date of Report: November 22, 2009
Trail Conditions: Trails Closed
Snow Cover: 0 inches

Area Report: Hi Everyone
Well it's almost Thanksgiving,our trails are almost ready for inspection which will be donethe frist part of Dec.
All Vilas county trails will open for the season Dec.16th.weather permiting.
I now have our new 09/10 trail maps.
Also I have the Ride & Pride raffle tickets available for $2.00ea.this year a new Ski-Doo 600 is the grand prize,if you want any let know and I will send you some.

Those of you that have been here before and will be returning will notice a big change in town.
Since last April the town has under gone a major makeover.The changes are all new intrastructure,newroads,sidewalks,curb and gutter street lites and two new decorative walls.
Now on the other side we have purchased a new groomer to supplment our current one.
The drag is a Snow boss pulled by a New Holland T6050 Tractor.

We have been out brushing,clearing down trees and etc.
**** Schultz

Anyone looking for lodging in the Phelps area this winter see below or vist mt web page,dghouserental.com

As of now I have the week between X-Mas and New Years open.

**** Schultz