PDA

View Full Version : Riding Conditions in Albert Lea, Rochester, MN Areas?

zimmer1310
12-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Curious what trails and conditions would be in the Albert Lea, Austin, Rochester area would be? I live close to Mankato and know SE MN and No. IA received more snow. Is there a good place to park and ride from? Appreciate it.

Scott R
12-11-2009, 02:42 AM
I work east of Rochester, did not see any groomer action yet. If I remember correctly Albert Lea received more snow than Rochester's 9 inches. The wind killed this snow fall, a lot of thin spots on high ground and a ton of snow in the ditch. You might want to make a call to the Rushford area, they had 14" and the valley and trees protect them from the wind.

here is the local club's e-mail address
Valley Crest Riders Snowmobile Club
valleycrestriders@acegroup.cc

Good Luck

chadlyt
12-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Correct, the wind really did a dandy job on this one. I work in Rochester and live 15 miles south. If you are a ditch rider, it would be heaven. Heard of mountain sleds getting stuck on ditches with 6 feet of snow in them.

As for the trails south of Roch and East of Austin, They are crap. Sorry to say it that way, but i went out yesterday and took a few pics, and i was disappointed. I expected to see drifts, but i saw alot of mud and chisle plowed fields instead of snowcover.

You'd really have to get into the valley areastowards the big river, but i cant tell you how much snow is down there...

here is a pic of the trail by my house.

sledheadprox2
12-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Was going to go down too the La Crescent, Caledonia area this weekend.
It is awesome riding the bluffs, until you ever ride the trails you don't know
how beautiful the rideing area is along the river.
Got my bubble popped when I call a club member wednesday night and talk to him.
They had not got the groomer going yet, all the trails signed, still crops in the field,
but the one that you can't control is it is muzzleloading season around there, he
said they were going out too knock down some big drifts, ya they received 12-16",
and thats it until season closes sunday night.
Was thinking of going sun night and ride mon and tue.
Tom sent you a note wed nite.

booney

chadlyt
12-11-2009, 11:18 AM
yea, I think Houston county is the only county around here that closes everything off during muzzleloader...

Photoguy
12-11-2009, 12:24 PM
I spoke with the club out of LaCresent and he said that Monday would be best. Hunting is over and they should have most of the trail signs out. He is planning to groom Sunday night either the north loop toward Nodine or the south toward Hokah. Planning on riding first thing Monday morning. If your on the trails look for three goofy Minnesotans on blue Yamaha Vipers.

Scott R
12-11-2009, 03:07 PM
I was just in La Crescent this morning, as was reported, appeared the local club just took the groomer (no sled) out on the trail. From the road looks to be a good amount of snow (14"-16"), I'm sure like at lot of areas, once you get up on the ridge tops it will be thin. Hopefully they will get the snow packed and mother nature will hit us again on Monday. Gotta love the white stuff...

cyguy
12-14-2009, 10:53 AM
How's the riding in N.E. Iowa or S.W. MN? I love riding the hills along the Mississippi! It still is one of the best kept secrets in snowmobiling...when there's snow!

chadlyt
12-14-2009, 11:08 AM
trails were hit pretty hard this past weekend. this freezing rain didnt help. need more snow!

atc250rfoxusa
12-15-2009, 03:53 PM
so is it worth it at all to make the 100 mile trip down there to putz around and get the bugs out of my system? I was thinking of unloading near minneiska and heading towards winona area.