PDA

View Full Version : Outagamie, Waupaca, Winnebago, Brown Counties WI

mikesvmax
12-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Does anyone know if any of these or the surrounding counties are going to open tomorrow? I saw Winnebago has their trails groomed and was hoping to get a little ride in tomorrow night. Thanks!

indy_500
12-13-2009, 05:59 PM
greenville and hortonville in outagamie county have groomed

mikesvmax
12-13-2009, 06:07 PM
hopefully they open tomorrow. it would be nice to get a ride in tomorrow night. The southeast quadrant of outagamie county have not been groomed yet as of last night.

just_ride
12-13-2009, 08:58 PM
There is still standing corn in our area of Outagamie, Don't think they will open in that area.
South of 54 and East of 47. and we have not groomed

mikesvmax
12-13-2009, 09:42 PM
just drove past the pit stop bar on KK and the trail is groomed there. good sign

classic_rider
12-13-2009, 09:56 PM
was in shiocton yesterday ,,the groomer went thru there

indy_500
12-13-2009, 10:13 PM
plenty of people have been riding them already. My buddy's dad saw 2 IQ's at the country bar. Just so you know, if anyone sees an 09 dragon 800 that's white tomorrow on the greenville trails, it's a club member checking everything over to make sure we can open up the trails. So the trails probably won't open until tuesday

indy_500
12-14-2009, 09:37 AM
just what we need...rain!

mr_fusion_ho
12-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Hey indy_500 make that 2 sleds a black 07 IQ 700 Dragon and my 09. Girlfriend is going to help me out as I hear we have some brushing to do.

mikesvmax
12-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Mr Fusion do you have any idea when the trails are going to open?

mr_fusion_ho
12-14-2009, 10:04 AM
I will know a lot more after I take the ride to pack the tails down in the low areas and make sure all the signs and brushing is done for our club (The Greenville Knights). I do know that corn left on the fields is causing isues with many clubs and that can cause the opening to be later as they have to take the corn off my hand in some areas. So the answer is no I do not know, but I do know the clubs are working really hard to make the opening happen. Oh and I'm sure the rain didn't help.

mikesvmax
12-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks! please keep us posted. Most of Waushara County opened this morning if anyone is looking to ride. I might head out after work tonight but hopefully some closer counties open up.

choc_lab
12-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Brown county trails by Greenleaf have been groomed Looks a bit ruff in the corn fields were the wind bared the ground .

indy_500
12-14-2009, 02:38 PM
I will know a lot more after I take the ride to pack the tails down in the low areas and make sure all the signs and brushing is done for our club (The Greenville Knights). I do know that corn left on the fields is causing isues with many clubs and that can cause the opening to be later as they have to take the corn off my hand in some areas. So the answer is no I do not know, but I do know the clubs are working really hard to make the opening happen. Oh and I'm sure the rain didn't help.

hey when did you find your way on here?

toolmaker
12-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Brown county parks web-site says NW quad opening at noon today, all others are not open yet.
"GO PACK GO"

indy_500
12-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Brown county parks web-site says NW quad opening at noon today, all others are not open yet.
"GO PACK GO"

i just read that on travelwisconsin.com hopefully that gets more counties to open up

mikesvmax
12-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Winnebago is saying they need another 5-7" to open. Seems a little ridiculous with all the snow we have but if they are comparing it to the last 2 years there really isn't much yet. Fond Du Lac county north of Hwy 23 are open too.

indy_500
12-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Winnebago is saying they need another 5-7" to open. Seems a little ridiculous with all the snow we have but if they are comparing it to the last 2 years there really isn't much yet. Fond Du Lac county north of Hwy 23 are open too.

How could they need another 5-7 inches? they already have 14! why would you go out and groom your trails and need another 7 inches? some counties have opened with 7 inches! that number sounds ridiculous.

mikesvmax
12-14-2009, 03:41 PM
thats what their recording on the hotline says. I had to call a second time to make sure I heard it right.

mikesvmax
12-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Calumet County is now open as well except for a few small sections. Looks like I'm going riding tonight.

skidoodragon
12-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Went out after work today on the north Calumet trails. Got some gas in Sherwood and checked out the lake. Lake looks terrible. Trails were mostly ungroomed!

machzdoo
12-14-2009, 06:56 PM
travelwisconsin.com says Sheboygan Co is open and in good condition. The phone number for the trail opening and conditions has not been updated since Dec 10. Who do you listen to and how can you tell if they if they are open.

mr_fusion_ho
12-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Hey indy 500

I have been on here since 2006 I just didn't post much.

Now for some trail info;

I had to take 5 trees out of the Greenville swamp and then I ran all of the Greenville Knights trails and they are in good shape. They are not groomed for the most part, but I can say we should be ready to open. There are a few clubs around us that are not as ready and they just need some time to make sure their trails are safe to ride. As soon as I hear more on opening I will post it here.

liv2ride
12-15-2009, 12:42 AM
Word from the snowmobile club meeting tonight in Freedom is that the trails will likely not be open for the weekend. Other clubs in Outagamie co. still have standing corn in the fields, and in our area, we have open water in the creeks. We have panned our trails in preperation for more snow and cold. Not open yet. It would be great if the trails were open before the weekend, but as of now, don't count on it.

Banks93
12-15-2009, 09:22 AM
If other counties are opening with less snow I don't see why these counties can't open. Kind of like last year when they kept them closed at the end of the season to try and save the trails but the trails never reoponed because of the warm weather. Just open them and eveyone have fun and be safe.

mikesvmax
12-15-2009, 09:30 AM
I took a ride by truck around Calumet County last night and the trails looked great. Does anyone know where I can park my truck and trailer and hop on in the Kaukauna or Sherwood area? I think I can park at the pit stop and cross KK to be in Calumet County but I'm not 100% sure.

Banks93
12-15-2009, 09:57 AM
I think the county line is KK or Calumet Street off of 441. I would think you are okay on letting in at the Pit Stop. I am hoping Brown County opens up all the trails.

mikesvmax
12-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Zone 6 of Outagamie County is now open which includes the Pit Stop and Kaukauna area.

Banks93
12-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Did they create a new zone? That was zone 3 last year.

Here is what it says on Waupaca County

As of 7 a.m., Wednesday Dec. 16, Zone 7 will be open. This was Zone 6 on last years map and includes the New London, Weyauwega, & Fremont areas. We are working on getting the new map and information on the website. The rest of the County remains closed at this time. Remember, this is early season riding so please use caution.

classic_rider
12-15-2009, 04:20 PM
yup ,, still got corn on the fields in northern outagamie, no panning done as of this morning, doesnt look good for this weekend,,,,,,,

mikesvmax
12-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Yea Outagamie rezoned the county again this year. Their message says that is what is open.

Banks93
12-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Yea Outagamie rezoned the county again this year. Their message says that is what is open.

Any idea what area zone 7 covers?

mikesvmax
12-15-2009, 04:41 PM
The recording says zone 7 is south of the Fox River in the far southest corner...south of Kaukauna. The Pit Stop to Wrightstown trails all are open until you run into Brown County.

My girlfriend and I will be riding Calumet county on Saturday if anyone wants to come along your more then welcome to. First time out this year so we will be taking it a little easy. Otherwise thinking about leaving Fremont and riding Waushara County.

Banks93
12-16-2009, 09:53 AM
I just happen to live in zone 5. I think it is a conspiracy to not let me ride this year.

Zone 1 - OPEN
Trails are are east of I-43 and north of Highway 54.

Zone 2 - PARTIAL OPENING - OPEN SOUTH OF NESHOTA PARK, NORTH OF NESHOTA PARK REMAINS CLOSED
Trails are east of I-43 and south of Highway 54.

ZONE 3 - OPEN
Trails are west of I-43 and east of County PP to County W, then County W south.

ZONE 4 - OPEN
Trails are east of the Fox River and west of County PP to County W, then County W south.

ZONE 5 - CLOSED
Trails are west of the Fox River and south of Highway 29 in the southern portion of Brown County

Zone 6 - OPEN
Trails are west of the Bay of Green Bay and north of Highway 29 in the Howard Suamico area.

mr_fusion_ho
12-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Waupaca County

As of 7 a.m., Wednesday Dec. 16, Zone 7 will be open. This was Zone 6 on last years map and includes the New London, Weyauwega, & Fremont areas. We are working on getting the new map and information on the website. The rest of the County remains closed at this time. Remember, this is early season riding so please use caution.

skutr
12-16-2009, 09:08 PM
I took a short check ride tonight (33 miles).

New London to Northport - The swamp isn't completely frozen yet so it's not groomed with a single lane all the way across. I had to puddle jump several times through about 2 feet of water. Not fun with marsh grass & cat tails hitting you in the helmet.

New London to Readfield - 95 % groomed. Nice job guys.

Overall - I would have to give the trail conditions around New London a thumbs up for December 16.

dothedoo
12-17-2009, 08:56 AM
I mark a small section of trail in the Shiocton area. There is an 80 acre cornfield still standing that isn't going to be taken off anytime soon and no way around it.

I have no idea what the plans are for this area, but don't see the trails opening in the near future.

Banks93
12-17-2009, 12:56 PM
If corn is the problem in Outagamie County maybe WI counties need to call the Obama administration and ask for some TARP money to pay for the corn. I really don't feel like waiting until April to run the trails.

I am trying to spend money at local taverns and gas stations and stimulate the economy. The clubs and counties are not letting me do my part.

trailblazer
12-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Maybe then you should get off your dead A** and start helping. Sounds to me like you know everything.

Banks93
12-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Maybe then you should get off your dead A** and start helping. Sounds to me like you know everything.

Trailblazer, that was a joke. Take the plug out and see if it is red, in case you don't have a sense of humor that was a joke also.

5slednx
12-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Hey trailblazer, what are we supposed to do to help? Are you looking for volunteers to pick corn or what? If you aren't looking for volunteers to pick corn then I guess there's not a whole lot a guy can do but sit here and wonder why the trails are still closed!

Banks93
12-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Hey trailblazer, what are we supposed to do to help? Are you looking for volunteers to pick corn or what? If you aren't looking for volunteers to pick corn then I guess there's not a whole lot a guy can do but sit here and wonder why the trails are still closed!

Thank you and if they do want me to drive the combine I am off tomorrow.

mikesvmax
12-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Yea if there is anything the rest of us can do to help let us know. I would be more the willing to help this weekend.

kaneiswhite
12-17-2009, 04:55 PM
wuts the scoop on outagamie in zone 4? When can we expect them to open?

revx6002003
12-17-2009, 05:16 PM
I dont know why everyone is so eager to get out. From driving around today it looks like most of all the plowed fields will be rough and be hitting dirt. It is only dec 17th, and yes I have a new sled in the garage but dont want to beat it up when I could wait a little bit.

5slednx
12-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Maybe we could get Crawl (paully shore) to drive the combine.

Banks93
12-17-2009, 05:27 PM
I dont know why everyone is so eager to get out. From driving around today it looks like most of all the plowed fields will be rough and be hitting dirt. It is only dec 17th, and yes I have a new sled in the garage but dont want to beat it up when I could wait a little bit.

It isn't the plowed fields issue. It is the corn standing and the swamps and marshes not being frozen that are delaying.

Poor snow conditions on plowed fields is better than no riding any day IMHO.

Banks93
12-17-2009, 05:29 PM
wuts the scoop on outagamie in zone 4? When can we expect them to open?

As soon as I get my dead $$$ out and combine they should open.

I also thought my TARP money idea was a good one. **** if they want to take my tax money and hand it out at least give it to the Farmers of WI instead of the greedy bankers with Billion dollar salaries.

kaneiswhite
12-17-2009, 05:57 PM
As soon as I get my dead $$$ out and combine they should open.

I also thought my TARP money idea was a good one. **** if they want to take my tax money and hand it out at least give it to the Farmers of WI instead of the greedy bankers with Billion dollar salaries.

When will you have time to run the combine? Where is there still corn, stephensville or dale?

dothedoo
12-17-2009, 07:32 PM

There's no need to wonder why they aren't open. Too much standing corn. There are trails all over that aren't going to open until the corn is off or the trail is routed around. If we got 2 feet of snow tomorrow trails would not be open.

skidoo500
12-17-2009, 09:32 PM
O thats sucks, they should have the corn off before snowmobiling season starts

revx6002003
12-17-2009, 09:44 PM
I work with farmers every day, I know the situation that they are in. Always remember, it is the farmers who let us use their land we are privilaged enough that they let us do so, so we can have a trail system like we do in this state.

5slednx
12-17-2009, 10:23 PM
They didn't get the corn off because the corn was to wet, they don't like to pick the corn until it has a certain moisture content otherwise it cost them to much to dry. Almost everyone (including snowmobile clubs) seen this coming over a month ago. It's to bad there were no re-routes planned out.

swampcat
12-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Down in fib land,2PM today ,saw a combine goin down hyw. with a corn head in tow.Good thing he was headed to our warp speed run field, just over a mile long. Thought we were going to have to find a new place. Favorite place is the Fox River,but mother nature does not always cooperate.

kaneiswhite
12-17-2009, 10:50 PM
So where are these 2 feilds in outagamin zone 4 that need the corn taken down? like what towns

classic_rider
12-17-2009, 11:29 PM
they were cutting fields north of black creek today,the trail goes right thru that field,its clear now and hopefuly they keep cutting before we get another big snow

Banks93
12-18-2009, 08:10 AM
I know by Freedom area there were two up. Hwy C right before you get on the powerlines and then the other one was over by the big corner on E where you need to get over to Kaukauna. The corn looked pretty bad and didn't even have husks on it.

Sorry for the negative posting I am just sick of the WI DNR and no deer having great snow conditions for 2 weeks and not being able to ride and am just crabby. If the clubs do need help in the area I would be more than willing to help.

snowshoe
12-18-2009, 08:49 AM
IIf the land owner or farmer signed a contract and the contract states that the trails can open on December 15 then the land owner should allow them to reroute the trail. After all it is a state funded trail and most likely the said land owner is getting tax breaks or money for having the trail on their land. I pay my taxes, titles and fees. Open the damn trail or get the corn off. It is December 15th and if you have corn up it is most likely a lost cause.

Landowners don't see a dime for having trails on their land. It is THEIR land to do as they see fit. If they need to let the corn dry out to make some money, after all that is their livelihood, then that's what they need to do. So chill out join a club and see how you club can help out. Some areas have actually paid the farmer for the lost crop due to cutting early to get the trail in.

kaneiswhite
12-18-2009, 04:25 PM
so, how is dale, greenville, and stephensville looking?

indy_500
12-18-2009, 04:42 PM
so, how is dale, greenville, and stephensville looking?

they look fine big kane, it's just a matter of time until the corn issues are figured out

revx6002003
12-18-2009, 05:35 PM
The DNR has absolutley nothing to do with the trails opening or closing, it is all up to the clubs communicating with eachother, and the farmers have a say to.

trailblazer
12-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Dales trails are open.

indy_500
12-18-2009, 06:36 PM
how? called the number and they updated at 4 and it's still zone 6. did they just open up zone 4 or just dale? i'm confused

Banks93
12-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Anyone who needs a fix head to Brown County, Manitowoc and Kewaunee Counties. We put on 150+ miles yesterday and had a blast. We left out of the Pit Stop in Kaukauna but they closed those trails this morning. You most likely would have to start in Greenleaf or De Pere.

indy_500
12-19-2009, 10:56 AM
why did they close zone 6? is it because there's not enough snow or what?

kaneiswhite
12-19-2009, 11:21 AM
they closed zone 6 because all the snow is gone pretty much, too much traffic killed the base.

Hey indy 500, call me as soon as the trails open, we'll go riding with skidoo500

kaneiswhite
12-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Dales trails are open.

they can't be, all public trails in outagamie are closed

Banks93
12-19-2009, 11:45 AM
There wasn't a lot of trails open in zone 6. It was because it was too warm and the trails got beat up yesterday. Like I said go to De Pere or Greenleaf and let in and you can still go east.

kaneiswhite
12-19-2009, 11:47 AM
I sure hope outagamie's zone 4 will open today!

skidoo500
12-19-2009, 12:22 PM
ya i hope they open today today that would be really awsome

classic_rider
12-19-2009, 12:33 PM
marking and grooming goin on this morning north of black creek towards nichols,,,but north of shiocton theres a big field with corn standing, not sure whats gonna happen there

indy_500
12-19-2009, 02:14 PM
drove by lots of winnebago county trails, didn't look very good. they should've stayed closed. we're supposed to get some more snow around x-mas day, hopefully 3-4. i think they're just ruining their base and guys are ruining their sleds. i would take out my beater 99 500 with over 7k on it if the trails opened here but i wouldn't ride more than 75 miles in a day, they looked very very rough

mikesvmax
12-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Put on 75 miles today in Calumet County and the trails were actually decent. Some bad spots but thats to be expected.

revx6002003
12-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Went out this afternoon from wrightstown down to highcliff back up to greenleaf, and the trails were actually not that bad, only a couple spots.

440_chazz
12-20-2009, 11:17 AM
O thats sucks, they should have the corn off before snowmobiling season starts

There was a club in Washington County that handpicked a 16 foot wide by 4 mile section of corn just to get the trail through. Thats devotion right there. I bet that club curses the site of snow and snowmobilers now knowing they don't have a clue how much work they had to put in to get a trail through.

skidoodragon
12-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Left from the Pit Stop bar also, quite a few there! Took the wife out for her first ride on the new sled. Trails by the bar were a little shaky but were very nice for the most part. Watch out for Plowed fields, saw a spot around Wrightstown were ruff fields caused some one to bail into a wire fence???? Not cool.
Thanks to all the Groomers!

kaneiswhite
12-20-2009, 12:31 PM
so does dale have their corn down yet?

indy_500
12-20-2009, 01:03 PM
so does dale have their corn down yet?

big kane! quit asking go ride around ur yard in circles and wait!

kaneiswhite
12-20-2009, 01:48 PM
big kane! quit asking go ride around ur yard in circles and wait!

lol, even circles get boring.

Banks93
12-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Trailer over to De Pere or Greenleaf and go to Brown County and Manitowoc trails are gtg.

trailblazer
12-20-2009, 02:51 PM
All is good in Dale. Every trail we have is ready to go. All the corn is down, and all the swamps are frozen. All we need now is more snow. Nine of us worked on one swamp yesterday for about four hours to make it right. My two boys---(11 and 6)---and I just got done marking and moving a few trails where there is more snow. I can get more work out of my two boys then most adults. If people only knew how much work it is. About 4 more inches and no wind to get us started would be nice. I'll keep an update on here as to how are trails are this year.

skidoo500
12-20-2009, 05:28 PM
awsome that the trails in dale are done that means zone 4 can open up soon as we get some more snow

kaneiswhite
12-20-2009, 06:47 PM
All is good in Dale. Every trail we have is ready to go. All the corn is down, and all the swamps are frozen. All we need now is more snow. Nine of us worked on one swamp yesterday for about four hours to make it right. My two boys---(11 and 6)---and I just got done marking and moving a few trails where there is more snow. I can get more work out of my two boys then most adults. If people only knew how much work it is. About 4 more inches and no wind to get us started would be nice. I'll keep an update on here as to how are trails are this year.

awesome, everyone appreciates you and your boys dedicated work

Banks93
12-20-2009, 09:27 PM

Good job trailblazer. Tell those kids thank you also.

indy_500
12-20-2009, 11:04 PM

way to go! i'm 14 almost 15 and i'm in the green knights greenville club and i realize marking trails isn't that easy. well, pounding the signs in is easy but it's all that other stuff that goes on that most of us don't know about (land owner/club agreement)

kaneiswhite
12-21-2009, 06:46 PM
dont u feel special indy 500....jk im thinkin of joinin the polarbear riders next year

kaneiswhite
12-23-2009, 05:58 PM
ohh noes, that rain better be freezin rain or we're done for

kaneiswhite
12-24-2009, 08:33 PM
hmm, who thinks the trails are gonna be closed for a while, i think we are right on the border line of gettin rain, and these warm temperatures arent gonna help anything at all.

skutr
12-31-2009, 08:01 AM
Trail report for New London to Fremont (Waupaca County) - Yesterday early evening - Not groomed. Hard everywhere and a little icy in spots. Bumpy in all the usual places, but fast out of the corners and across the open fields. Overall I was pleasantly surprised at how good they were after the Christmas meltdown.

Thanks & nice work to Northport, Dale & Fremont clubs.

Does anyone know if the Mukwa swamp between New London & Northport is frozen and how are the trails up to Manawa? I want to take the wife & kids for a ride to the bowling ally in Manawa for a burger after work, but don't want to make them puddle jump across the swamp.

Thanks - Skutr

indy_500
12-31-2009, 09:34 AM
skutr, that swamp normally freezes fairly decent i don't remember ever going thru there with open water but i could be wrong. last year the first day trails opened (dec. 15) i rode thru that swamp on nothing but grass because they never got it packed down before i tsnowed. wasn't that fun!

Banks93
12-31-2009, 10:20 AM
I would think it is frozen. They are riding the river already in Northport.

indy_500
12-31-2009, 10:55 AM
i know someone who was riding the wolf and he sunk his back end and he had to pin it to get out. so if ur gonna ride the river, dont' go too slow

kaneiswhite
12-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Both zones are great, a few bump but otherwise AWESOME. a few icy spots, but hey....snowmobiling just wouldnt be snowmobiling if it was perfect everywhere

indy_500
12-31-2009, 08:01 PM
trails were pretty decent. the swamp in greenville heading north out of greenville has open water and is bumpy since the groomer can't make it there. and the swamp in northport is bumpy since the groomer can't make it there but overall i was impressed, the plowed fields were 10 times better than what i thought they were going to be

Banks93
01-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Trails were great. Greenville swamp and a section going to black creek had water. Thanks to the farmer who cut his corn that was holding the trail up. He was still picking yesterday. The reroute through the swamp was nice scenery.

woodi
01-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Mukwa swamp is froze now. Yesterday we rode from New London 2 Diemels than down 2 Gills. lots of open water, If u dont know the river i would stay off 4 a couple weeks.

Banks93
01-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Swamp is froze and lots of traffic. It was pretty bumpy. Looks like the groomer broke through over between Readfield and Bean City. Lots of people out on the trails today. Nice day to ride.

skutr
01-01-2010, 07:54 PM
New London - Marion - Bear Creek were all really good this morning. Lots of sleds started to come out in the afternoon. It will be interesting to see how the trails are tomorrow after getting beat up.

98 miles total