PDA

View Full Version : Turtle-Flambeau fishing trip

mxz_chris
06-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Heading up for a 4 day weekend, July 8-11. I have fished in the spring, but never summer on the flowage. Anyone have any walleye/smallmouth/crappie tips they want to share. I am assuming a typical summer pattern of drop-offs and rocks, but any help would be appreciated.

fishcrib
06-21-2010, 04:43 PM
They have a fishing report on the Mercer website: wwwmercerwi.com.

ubee
06-21-2010, 09:14 PM
flowages are very low right now,lots of small fish being caught in the stump fields on night crawlers

redrat75
07-18-2010, 03:48 PM
How did the trip go? I'm sorry it's been a while since I have been on the sight but I love TFF. I have been fishing the TFF since I was 6 years old! It is the coolest place to fish, just have to know where your going it is easy to tear gear up! If you decide to go back I can give you some tips! I hope all went well!

mxz_chris
07-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Did OK. Got a bunch of smallmouth, and 1 36" muskie. Caught alot of bottle bass.

redrat75
07-20-2010, 08:59 PM
The bottle bass are the easy one to get when the fish are in the summer pattern! But it is the best place to enjoy a bottle bass and watch the eagles and loons. The eyes are a little harder to get in the summer but that is the best time for camping on the islands. How was the boat traffic? This spring I was amazed at how many boat were out fishing, there were 9 boats in the beaver flats, felt like I was fishing in southern WI with all the boats in the flats!

mxz_chris
07-21-2010, 10:12 AM
The islands were full, and lots of boats. We always had another boat in sight wherever we were fishing. Had a few morning mayfly hatches, so we never saw a walleye. I am not that great at walleye fishing though. Had a good time at Donners Bay at a Saturday afternoon pig roast. 75 and sunny for 4 days, great time.

ubee
07-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Looks like the turtle flambeau got hit with a tornado and some campers were injured,also conover had lots of damage from straight line winds!hope everybody gets well! Donners a great pit stop summer and winter!

redrat75
07-29-2010, 02:22 PM
I hope every one is ok!

mxz_chris
07-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Me too. I camp there a few times a year. Nowhere to go once on the islands.

redrat75
07-29-2010, 08:21 PM
It makes me want to get a weather radio for when I go camping out there.
I have been through some sever weather camping out there but nothing like that!
All you can do is secure your camp the best you can and hope for the best!
I think the strongest wind I have see up there was about 3 years ago. The wind was so strong that it capsized a boat in front of us, just to the west of the dam. It was not fun!

ubee
07-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Damage assessment continues

MERCER, Wis. -- Damage assessment continues following the Tuesday tornado that ripped through the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage between Mercer and Park Falls.

On Thursday, the National Weather Service's Duluth office said it had determined the wind damage on the Turtle-Flambeau was caused by a tornado that struck in the Springstead Landing area, where Flowage Road extends north on a small peninsula, and also by straight-line winds.

The NWS said the majority of the damage in the flowage in the storm around 8 p.m. Tuesday was from the extreme straight-line thunderstorm winds. The damage area is about eight miles long and 1.5 miles wide.

rmk4ever
07-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Wow my buddy's from chicago have a cabin right by the springstead landing, hope it's alright. Love that area in the winter.