PDA

View Full Version : The Snowies trip in January

Pages : [1] 2 3

Skylar
10-23-2010, 02:39 PM
It has started my friends....

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHEYENNE WY616 AM MDT SAT OCT 23 2010...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR THE SNOWY AND SIERRA MADRE RANGESFOR LATE THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON......WINTER STORM WATCH FOR THE SNOWY AND SIERRA MADRE RANGESSUNDAY EVENING THROUGH MONDAY....TWO STORM SYSTEMS WILL IMPACT THE AREA THROUGH EARLY NEXT WEEK.THE INITIAL STORM HAS BEEN PRODUCING RAIN AND MOUNTAIN SNOW OVERTHE REGION OVERNIGHT AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO THROUGH TODAY.THE SNOW LEVELS WILL BE AROUND 8500 FEET TODAY.THE SECOND STORM SYSTEM WILL BE MUCH STRONGER AND IMPACT THE AREASUNDAY THROUGH MONDAY. WINDS WILL INCREASE DRAMATICALLY SUNDAYAFTERNOON AND CONTINUE INTO MONDAY. GUSTS OF 50 TO 60 MPH WILL BEPOSSIBLE OVER AND WEST OF THE LARAMIE RANGE...AND 30 TO 50 MPH TOTHE EAST OF THE RANGE. MUCH COLDER TEMPERATURES WILL INVADE THEAREA EARLY MONDAY MORNING...WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR ACCUMULATINGSNOWFALL FOR ELEVATIONS ABOVE 7000 FEET. THE COMBINATION OFSTRONG WINDS AND MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL MAY LEAD TO VERYHAZARDOUS CONDITIONS SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY OVER THE SIERRAMADRE AND SNOWY RANGES WITH SLICK ROADS AND POOR VISIBILITIES INSNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.WYZ112-114-232030-/O.CON.KCYS.WW.Y.0015.000000T0000Z-101024T0000Z//O.CON.KCYS.WS.A.0008.101025T0000Z-101026T0000Z/SIERRA MADRE RANGE-SNOWY RANGE-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CENTENNIAL...ALBANY...WOODS LANDING616 AM MDT SAT OCT 23 2010...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM MDT THISEVENING......WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENINGTHROUGH MONDAY AFTERNOON...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM MDT THISEVENING. A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAYEVENING THROUGH MONDAY AFTERNOON.THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHEYENNE HAS CONTINUED THE WINTERWEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT THROUGH 6 PM THISEVENING. A WINTER STORM WATCH ALSO REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THEAREA. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENINGTHROUGH MONDAY AFTERNOON.* TIMING...THROUGH 6 PM TODAY.* TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 8 INCHES WITH HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE THROUGH TODAY. WITH THE STORM SYSTEM SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY...TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO FALL WELL BELOW FREEZING BY MONDAY MORNING AND SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 14 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE.* SNOWFALL REPORTS...AS OF 5 AM ESTIMATED SNOWFALL OVERNIGHT HAS BEEN FROM 1 TO 5 INCHES OVER THE SNOWY AND SIERRA MADRE RANGES.* WINDS/VISIBILITIES...VISIBILITIES WILL BE REDUCED TO LESS THAN ONE MILE IN THE HEAVIEST SNOW BANDS. WITH THE STORM SYSTEM SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY...WEST TO SOUTHWEST WINDS OF 45 TO 50 MPH SUSTAINED WITH GUSTS TO 70 MPH ARE POSSIBLE. THESE WINDS MAY COMBINE WITH SNOW AND BLOWING TO CREATE NEAR WHITEOUT CONDITIONS LATE SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY.* IMPACTS...THOSE PLANNING OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES WILL EXPERIENCE HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS. THOSE PLANNING HUNTING ACTIVITIES IN THE SNOWY AND SIERRA MADRE RANGES THIS WEEKEND WILL HAZARDOUS WEATHER WITH COLD TEMPERATURES AND SNOW. BY SUNDAY NIGHT AS THE SECOND STORM SYSTEM MOVES INTO THE AREA... THE COMBINATION OF STRONG WINDS...COLD TEMPERATURES AND SNOW COULD CREATE VERY HAZARDOUS DRIVING AND OUTDOOR CONDITIONS ONCE AGAIN SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOWWILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOWCOVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILEDRIVING.A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANTSNOW ACCUMULATIONS AND BLOWING SNOW THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.&&$$WEILAND</PRE>

m8man
10-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Nice to hear, now it can make its way here.

m8man

cuzzinolaf
10-23-2010, 06:43 PM
This is the Snotel site you wanna watch....

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/snotel/snotelday2.pl?site=668&station=06h20s&state=wy&report=depth

Skylar
10-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Yep, in my favorites! :)

Skylar
10-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Check out the Mt. Baker forecast! :eek:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=sew&textField1=48.77&textField2=-121.81&smap=1

Firecatguy
10-23-2010, 09:30 PM
yeeeeehaw!!!!I love Mother Nature!!!!BRING IT!!!!!!this is going to be a great trip I cant wait......

nitroman
10-23-2010, 10:29 PM
The best week for snow in January will be the week of the 17th you guys will be there a week too early! Zrt4me and I will post pics when we get back of the most epic snow ever ridden on 4 perfect bluebird days LOL!

skeedoo
10-24-2010, 10:14 AM
The best week for snow in January will be the week of the 17th you guys will be there a week too early! Zrt4me and I will post pics when we get back of the most epic snow ever ridden on 4 perfect bluebird days LOL!

Well if thats the case I will be staying another week and riding with your group too!!!
LOL

cuzzinolaf
10-24-2010, 02:04 PM

The Snow God told me you're wrong.

nitroman
10-24-2010, 11:30 PM
The Snow God told me you're wrong.

Your snow god is a false prophet you better stay and ride with our group too! Carl would dig that plus our snow god rocks!

Firecatguy
10-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Your snow god is a false prophet you better stay and ride with our group too! Carl would dig that plus our snow god rocks!

I called too!!!!he says you got your dates wrong!!!!Mother Nature confirmed This!!!!

nitroman
10-26-2010, 09:11 PM
I called too!!!!he says you got your dates wrong!!!!Mother Nature confirmed This!!!!

Mother nature married Arctic Cat so that shows what she knows LOL! I hope both our weeks have great snow looks like they got some today.
http://dayweather.com/keystone/weathertext.html
All white in Centennial right now

M4me
10-27-2010, 01:15 PM
How many days to go?

M4me
10-27-2010, 03:50 PM
The Wife and I will be going through Wyoming and the Snowies area the end of this week on our way to Oregon. I'll give a report when we get through the area. Z

Firecatguy
10-27-2010, 05:35 PM
How many days to go?

polarisrider1
10-27-2010, 05:38 PM

seems so far away.

Firecatguy
10-27-2010, 05:51 PM
seems so far away.

I know huh...Im itchin to ride...

polarisrider1
10-27-2010, 07:23 PM
I know huh...Im itchin to ride...

that's poison ivy. lol. Sounds like we got a large group going for sure.

nitroman
10-27-2010, 08:53 PM
11 weeks 5 days 2 hours 8 min as of right now! If you have an Ipod touch or Iphone there is an app called countdown load any date and time and you can display the exact countdown to it!

Firecatguy
10-27-2010, 10:55 PM
nice I added the droid verson.....75days 7hr 5min 32sec Hehehehehehe

M4me
10-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Was ZRT4me, now M4me in case anyone didn't figure that out. Should have done that awhile ago.
Sitting in western Kansas for the night. Getting reports from other drivers that Wyo got 8" in the high ups last night. I'll give another report after we get through tomorrow.

nitroman
10-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Crap didn't even notice the name change lol! Gonna take the wife up and show her where were going in January? Got the call today 431lbs of mountain slaying bmf is awaiting me at the dealer!

M4me
10-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Made it by the Snowies today and there is snow on the mountains. The Laramie area has had some fresh snow fall but all has melted away except for in the shadows. I know, should have snapped some pics to post. Maybe on the way back from Oregon I'll get a couple.

polarisrider1
11-01-2010, 01:03 AM
Hanging out at the cabin tonight going through my sledding stuff. Started looking at the maps of the Snowies. I noted that the Mtn. Meadows area has some extensive Avy areas. Those going on this trip really need to fit in a avy class before going.

cuzzinolaf
11-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Where can people that don't have a beacon/probe/shovel rent if needed?

Firecatguy
11-01-2010, 10:46 AM

from borderstaff here.....we could bring them for ya...only prob would be we leave sun so.....

cuzzinolaf
11-01-2010, 10:54 AM
from borderstaff here.....we could bring them for ya...only prob would be we leave sun so.....

I think we're leaving on Saturday or Sunday as well.... unless you mean the Sunday before?

thebreeze
11-01-2010, 11:11 AM
There are no places in Laramie or Centennial to rent beacons.

Skylar
11-01-2010, 11:12 AM

I've already spoken to Borderstaff, I am renting his beacons from him that week for the guys coming with me. I just need to talk to one of my Minnesota brethren to pick them up for me, and bring them with them, and then drop them off afterwards. I haven't asked Kris yet if he would do that for me. But I think he will. :)

cuzzinolaf
11-01-2010, 11:15 AM
How many beacons/probe/shovels does he rent out? We have some in our group who don't have anything and are hesitant to buy for their first trip.

Firecatguy
11-01-2010, 11:40 AM
I've already spoken to Borderstaff, I am renting his beacons from him that week for the guys coming with me. I just need to talk to one of my Minnesota brethren to pick them up for me, and bring them with them, and then drop them off afterwards. I haven't asked Kris yet if he would do that for me. But I think he will. :)

I live closer to him And I have been their before so I would have no prob picking up for ya

Firecatguy
11-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Might even have cpl you guys cam rent

M4me
11-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Cuzz, I was thinking of having you drop of the beacon at the old coral in centenial. We are staying there the week following your trip. I will need to get the details worked out with Ken at the coral before we go. Think this would work? C

cuzzinolaf
11-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Cuzz, I was thinking of having you drop of the beacon at the old coral in centenial. We are staying there the week following your trip. I will need to get the details worked out with Ken at the coral before we go. Think this would work? C

I can do that. I was thinking of driving to your house to drop it off if ya wanted. Do you guys need any beacons/probes/shovels for your trip?

doospunk
11-01-2010, 03:19 PM

No worries. Let me or Pat know. One of us will get to them for ya.

nitroman
11-01-2010, 03:32 PM
I can do that. I was thinking of driving to your house to drop it off if ya wanted. Do you guys need any beacons/probes/shovels for your trip?

If your driving by Waterloo Iowa I got a couple you can use Cuzz just leave em with M4me's at the Old Corral.

polarisrider1
11-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Okay Andy (den mother)I am counting on you to show these guys who never use beacons how to use them. I expect my frozen carcass to be located if need be.

M4me
11-01-2010, 10:05 PM

No need to drive to my house unless you are coming that way. Not sure which weekends that I will be around. I'm out in Oregon right now.(Sweet!) I could use a probe if you have a spare.
Are you going to the yoop on the 26th of Dec? I was telling Andy that may work for me.

nitroman
11-01-2010, 10:23 PM
No need to drive to my house unless you are coming that way. Not sure which weekends that I will be around. I'm out in Oregon right now.(Sweet!) I could use a probe if you have a spare.
Are you going to the yoop on the 26th of Dec? I was telling Andy that may work for me.

I got an extra probe for ya M4me! I got Darin's whole set up bag, shovel, probe, and beacon.

cuzzinolaf
11-01-2010, 10:41 PM

I'll be there. Let me know if anyone needs anything and it is yours.

skeedoo
11-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Okay Andy (den mother)I am counting on you to show these guys who never use beacons how to use them. I expect my frozen carcass to be located if need be.

How bout we all take an hour or so and gather together on this trip and do some "on the snow beacon training" good time to practice multiple burial. Actually with a group this big maybe we can get Mike Duffy to come to the Snowy's when we are all there and do an on the snow training course, I planned on doing one with Mike anyway this year. I can check with Mike if anyone has any interest in doing this.

polarisrider1
11-02-2010, 12:53 AM
How bout we all take an hour or so and gather together on this trip and do some "on the snow beacon training" good time to practice multiple burial. Actually with a group this big maybe we can get Mike Duffy to come to the Snowy's when we are all there and do an on the snow training course, I planned on doing one with Mike anyway this year. I can check with Mike if anyone has any interest in doing this.

Fantastic idea!!!!

Firecatguy
11-02-2010, 12:57 AM
thats a great idea Chris we plan on meeting here in mn in next few weeks to practice......we try and do it every fall and you will be amazed at what you will learn...not as easy as one might think takes a min to get used to the signal and I believe COFIDENCE is the key!!!!!!

M4me
11-02-2010, 10:49 AM
I got an extra probe for ya M4me! I got Darin's whole set up bag, shovel, probe, and beacon.

Cool! Should ask Darin if he wants to sell the probe.
Glad to hear your going in December cuzz. Now I just need time to work on the sled to get it ready to rip.

cuzzinolaf
11-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Glad to hear your going in December cuzz. Now I just need time to work on the sled to get it ready to rip.

If ya need a hand let me know. I gotta get some stuff done on mine as well. Already bent my steering post on the new sled. OFF-TRAIL IN THE UP IS DANGEROUS.

M4me
11-02-2010, 11:28 AM
If ya need a hand let me know. I gotta get some stuff done on mine as well. Already bent my steering post on the new sled.OFF-TRAIL IN THE UP IS DANGEROUS.

I hear you! I would never go off trail in the yoop. Too dangerous.
I'll let you know which weekend I plan on working on mine. I have all new bushings for the front suspension to get put in as well as replace the rollers in the secondary. Need to put some more shine on the tunnel too.

techsledder
11-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Outstanding Idea!

WIrider
11-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Outstanding Idea!

you coming yet?

rp7x
11-03-2010, 01:43 AM
any body got room for 1 more rmk ?

polarisrider1
11-03-2010, 04:01 PM
We should get a "clan"count going so we know how big we have gotten as a group. The Andy clan has 13 of us. Team ring ding? And the other groups? How many we looking at? What we calling this event? JD rodeo?

polarisrider1
11-04-2010, 07:21 PM
any body got room for 1 more rmk ?

Not sure since your located on the wrong side of the fence.

XFIRE1
11-04-2010, 08:59 PM
How many beacons/probe/shovels does he rent out? We have some in our group who don't have anything and are hesitant to buy for their first trip.

hey cuzz,
I talked to brian at old corral and asked him if he wears a beacon,and to my surprize he said NO ....there is only a few area's of high avy danger. and there is pleny of riding that you would not be in any danger, so my point being if you have boondockers/tree runners in your group you would be ok, but if you have the guys that love climbing you r going to need beacons.

Darrell

doospunk
11-04-2010, 09:13 PM
hey cuzz,
I talked to brian at old corral and asked him if he wears a beacon,and to my surprize he said NO ....there is only a few area's of high avy danger. and there is pleny of riding that you would not be in any danger, so my point being if you have boondockers/tree runners in your group you would be ok, but if you have the guys that love climbing you r going to need beacons.

Darrell

Please don't take offense, but I don't care what the conditions/areas are like out there. It's always a possibility. Everyone is going to want to play on some steep. I sure as he** wouldn't want to be riding with someone who didn't have the means of locating me, should I get caught up in something. That being said, I've not been to this area before, but everyone I've spoke with whose been there rides with them.

nitroman
11-04-2010, 09:22 PM
No beacon no ride nuff said

Firecatguy
11-04-2010, 10:20 PM
hey cuzz,

Darrell
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked016.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Please don't take offense, but I don't care what the conditions/areas are like out there. It's always a possibility. Everyone is going to want to play on some steep. I sure as he** wouldn't want to be riding with someone who didn't have the means of locating me, should I get caught up in something. That being said, I've not been to this area before, but everyone I've spoke with whose been there rides with them.
YEP FOR SURE!!!!!

No beacon no ride nuff said

YEP...NUFF SAID!!!

how many fatal have been at the Widowmaker???????????
there was a story a year or so ago from a guy who never put one on and always rode in safe areas....he was in an avy on gravel mt in Col and buried...he was very lucky that a local guy was watching and new how to spring to the rescue!!!I had a letter from him but i deleted it!!!!!!point being he said that he would never ride again without

Firecatguy
11-04-2010, 10:22 PM
not the story but same point....

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/29/wall-of-snow-struck-in-seconds/

Firecatguy
11-04-2010, 10:25 PM
found it.....

http://www.startribune.com/local/13004746.html

skeedoo
11-05-2010, 12:20 AM
It doesn't take a big mountain to have a slide. I have a buddy in Colorado on the mountain rescue that lost a good friend in an avalanche on what he descibed as a "hill" that everyone thaught could never let go. A small hillside that buried his buddy. This area of the Snowy's we will be riding in has lots and lots of "hills" that could let go at any time, definetly high avalanche area. Its not as bad as the other side of the range around Saratoga,WY which is about 65% high avy danger. Smaller area to ride, but very intense with usually more snow.

Just tell your buddies that don't have all of the safety gear that you can't put a price on life, their's or mine!! Trust me if they are into sledding and they go west once (especially with this friggin' crew we have going) then they will definetly be going back... LOTS!!! I'll ask nicely... please buy the beacon, shovel, probe and find me if I get buried, thank you.

Firecatguy
11-05-2010, 01:33 AM
you give my buddy Billy A call he will hook you guys up with everything you will ever need!!!!!!!!tell em FCG sent ya!!!!!!

http://www.heinspeedspecialties.com/

XFIRE1
11-05-2010, 08:35 AM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked016.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

YEP FOR SURE!!!!!

YEP...NUFF SAID!!!

how many fatal have been at the Widowmaker???????????
there was a story a year or so ago from a guy who never put one on and always rode in safe areas....he was in an avy on gravel mt in Col and buried...he was very lucky that a local guy was watching and new how to spring to the rescue!!!I had a letter from him but i deleted it!!!!!!point being he said that he would never ride again without

WOW, don't shoot me ! altough i did reread my post and i deserve it , I was just repeating what i was told. for the record myself and my wife both have beacons,shovels,probes been to avy class and know how to use them, WHICH is a big part! also trained in CPR and working on my cert in wilderness first responder, that being said i don't take safety lightly. the only reason that i posted that, i was told that there is plenty of area's to play in the flats but if you are going to unload and head to the widowmaker with a group first thing than you better be prepared\trained

Firecatguy
11-05-2010, 10:15 AM
WOW, don't shoot me ! altough i did reread my post and i deserve it , I was just repeating what i was told. for the record myself and my wife both have beacons,shovels,probes been to avy class and know how to use them, WHICH is a big part! also trained in CPR and working on my cert in wilderness first responder, that being said i don't take safety lightly. the only reason that i posted that, i was told that there is plenty of area's to play in the flats but if you are going to unload and head to the widowmaker with a group first thing than you better be prepared\trained

good call....not shooting ya just worried about gettin the word out

polarisrider1
11-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Cuzz, can you post your things to bring list in your back pack here. It would be helpful just to run through it again. I will be bringing an extra set of probes and shovel to loan out. A snoscoop from www.snobunje.com is an afordable way to dig. I will bring 2 to loan out.

carter
11-05-2010, 11:47 AM
This is for the riders who are in question on BEACONS. That beacon is not FOR you. It belongs to the guy you are asked to help rescue. His beacon belongs to you that he might rescue you. And on and on and on........We got a saying out here in the west, " Don't have a beacon, don't come." Simple.....We want you to stay at home enjoying your family and friends. We do not want to dig for people. Simple... You wear a helmut, you wear gloves, you ride a sled, YOU HAVE A BEACON, PROBES AND SHOVEL. This ends the sermon for today....

nitroman
11-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Looks like there is a chance of snow out there after the weekend let's hope they start getting dumped on soon!

10 weeks 3 days 9 hours!

cuzzinolaf
11-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Looks like there is a chance of snow out there after the weekend let's hope they start getting dumped on soon!

10 weeks 3 days 9 hours!

Over a foot in North French Creek according to Snotel.

cuzzinolaf
11-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Cuzz, can you post your things to bring list in your back pack here. It would be helpful just to run through it again. I will be bringing an extra set of probes and shovel to loan out. A snoscoop from www.snobunje.com is an afordable way to dig. I will bring 2 to loan out.

Backpack –
1. 2 pairs of gloves
2. Socks
3. 2 pairs of extra goggles
4. Beanie hat
5. Hand warmers
6. Swedish Firesteel (fire starter)
7. Parachute Cord
8. Stainless steel cup
9. First aid stuff
10. Shovel
11. Saw
12. Excedrin/Asprin
13. Warm weather liner for my Klim helmet
14. Toilet paper
15. Heetsheet
16. Emergency Sleeping Bag
17. Tampons (excellent fire starter if dipped in gas)
18. Torch lighter
19. Flare gun
20. Power Bars
21. Instant Oatmeal
22. Beef jerky
23. Chocolate
24. Extra under garments on those cold days
25. Leatherman Tool
26. Batteries
27. Matches
28. Chapstick
29. Cell Phone
30. Strobe Light

On Sled -
1. Spare gas
2. GPS
3. Snow Bunje
4. Tools
5. Flashlight
6. Compass
7. Tow rope
8. Glow stick
9. Duct tape
10. Different sizes in zip ties
11. Local trail maps
12. Hand warmers
13. Water/Gatorade
14. Red ribbon
15. Bolts
16. Hand warmers
17. Gloves
18. Goggles
19. Wire
20. Pipe Clamps

There is a lot that some carry. This is what I feel is needed and I'm sure others can suggest more. My list might grow before this trip so we'll see.

snoluver1
11-05-2010, 06:19 PM
There are many areas in the snowies where you could technically ride safely without the threat of avalanche. I think this gives a false sense of security to many people who go there. I have seen several backcountry "hills" slide there. I'm talking hills that you would never think in a million years would have a chance to slide. There is one hill in particular that slides almost everyyear, some of you may know of it,"Seven Fools". The hill is not intimidating at all and a lot of newbies think its a great hill to practice their mountain skills on. What they don't know is what lies beneath. A grassy knoll with no trees to hold the snow back. I'm sure theres more than seven fools who wish they had their life back! The point is, to ride anywhere out west without a beacon is just plain foolish. As Carter stated, the beacon is not for you its for your buried friend and vice versa.

Skylar
11-05-2010, 06:39 PM
My brother and I just signed up for Mike's avalanche class today, along with my buddy Joe and his son.

fgsacts
11-05-2010, 08:21 PM
you give my buddy Billy A call he will hook you guys up with everything you will ever need!!!!!!!!tell em FCG sent ya!!!!!!

http://www.heinspeedspecialties.com/

Pat, would you mind contacting your buddy Billy and asking how many BCA trackers (with free shovel and probe) we would need to buy for some kind of group discount? His price is already pretty good but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

XFIRE1
11-05-2010, 08:26 PM
To help out here is a great price on a affordable beacon.
but it is only on till nov/7

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3667574

Darrell

polarisrider1
11-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Novi show will have deals also.

polarisrider1
11-05-2010, 10:02 PM
My brother and I just signed up for Mike's avalanche class today, along with my buddy Joe and his son.

What location?

Skylar
11-05-2010, 10:20 PM
The Engelhart Center, Madison Wi.

WIrider
11-05-2010, 10:42 PM
The Engelhart Center, Madison Wi.

Hey I took Mike's class last year, and he sends out discounts on riding and avy gear through one of his website. It has $45 off BCA TRacker 2 and $35 off BCA DTS beacons. I copied details below for you from email I got. From what I found the last few weeks on the web, this is the best deal I could find. Discount codes you have to use are also listed. Check it out....

http://www.snoavigear.com

This site provides the gear I recommend in class. “Tried, tested and selected” by Mike Duffy.
These guys have been in business for 15 years and have a 100% guarantee. I recommend them since everything on the site is something I would use and have used. No Junk!

They are a big advocate of avalanche education and provide the following discounts for having taken the class.
Avalanche packs by ABS, BCA, Snowpulse. $45 off. Discount code: ISC2010D expires 12/12/10.
$45 off recommended beacons. Discount code: ISC2010
Expires 12/12/10.

$35 off BCA Tracker. Discount code: ISC2010A expires 12/12/10

Or Get a FREE BCA Companion EXT shovel with the purchase of any beacon ($55 value!)Look under ”package deals” .Discount code: ISC2010B expires 12/12/10

Or 15% Off entire order of $400. (Cannot be used with any other discount or on avalanche packs). Discount code: ISC2010C. expires 12/12/10
Rescue and survival gear, probes, Helmet cams, head lamps, first aid kits, saws, and more.
How to use discount:
-go to www.snowavigear.com
-select the items, “Add to cart”
-Enter discount code from above.
-For free shovel with beacon, click on “package deals” in upper left og home page, then enter discount code.
***Your account is not charged until shipped.
Hope everyone has a great winter! Mike Duffy
If you ever have a question about avalanches or gear, please feel free to contact me at: duffyww1@aol.com

WIrider
11-05-2010, 10:48 PM
To help out here is a great price on a affordable beacon.
but it is only on till nov/7

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3667574

Darrell

Holy Cow, Xfire....just checked this out and that by far is best deal, even beats Duffy's for the BCA Beacons....

Skylar
11-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Holy Cow, Xfire....just checked this out and that by far is best deal, even beats Duffy's for the BCA Beacons....

WOW is that cheap for the tracker2. I've been waiting to find a good deal on a tracker1, used ones are bringing 175-200. So, I just bought the tracker 2. Thanks for the link Xfire!

Skylar
11-06-2010, 12:03 AM
They also have the tracker 1 for $239!!

XFIRE1
11-06-2010, 10:06 AM
WOW is that cheap for the tracker2. I've been waiting to find a good deal on a tracker1, used ones are bringing 175-200. So, I just bought the tracker 2. Thanks for the link Xfire!

your welcome, they have great prices on probes and shovels also if need them. just look..

Darrell

WIrider
11-06-2010, 11:35 AM
They also have the tracker 1 for $239!!

EMS has additional 10% off until 12 PM EST today. Thats $215 for a Tracker DTS or $241 for a Tracker 2. with free shipping. Just ordered mine. XFire you have a beer waiting at the Old Corral......:D

Skylar
11-06-2010, 12:42 PM
EMS has additional 10% off until 12 PM EST today. Thats $215 for a Tracker DTS or $241 for a Tracker 2. with free shipping. Just ordered mine. XFire you have a beer waiting at the Old Corral......:D

How did you get that Bill? Dang, I ordered mine last night.

Skylar
11-06-2010, 12:45 PM
How did you get that Bill? Dang, I ordered mine last night.

Ahh, I see, it does it when you click on add to cart. Sonofa.....

Skylar
11-06-2010, 02:30 PM
OUTFRICKEN STANDING customer service!

I sent a quick e-mail to EMS this morning basically saying I just bought my tracker 2 Friday night, and would they honor the powersale price for me. I told them that if they couldn't, I completely understood, and thanks for selling it at the great price of $268. Here is the e-mail I just got back.

Hello Skylar,

Thank you for contacting us concerning your recent order. We will gladly
honor the new sale price and you will see the refund of $27 within 5-7
days. If there is anything else we can do for you please let us know,
and thanks for shopping with EMS!

David Lottmann
Customer Service and Climbing Guide
Eastern Mountain Sports
www.ems.com
1-888-463-6367

WIrider
11-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Ahh, I see, it does it when you click on add to cart. Sonofa.....

Give 'em a call maybe they will honor the lower price.....

WIrider
11-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Give 'em a call maybe they will honor the lower price.....

Yeh, I should read more........cool they honored it. Looks like you owe Xfire a beer also.

fgsacts
11-06-2010, 02:55 PM
OUTFRICKEN STANDING customer service!

I sent a quick e-mail to EMS this morning basically saying I just bought my tracker 2 Friday night, and would they honor the powersale price for me. I told them that if they couldn't, I completely understood, and thanks for selling it at the great price of $268. Here is the e-mail I just got back.

Hello Skylar,

Thank you for contacting us concerning your recent order. We will gladly
honor the new sale price and you will see the refund of $27 within 5-7
days. If there is anything else we can do for you please let us know,
and thanks for shopping with EMS!

David Lottmann
Customer Service and Climbing Guide
Eastern Mountain Sports
www.ems.com
1-888-463-6367

Those are the kind of people you want to support! I hope others took advantage of this awesome deal.

polarisrider1
11-06-2010, 03:01 PM
You just gotta love the internet! Glad to see everyone is getting their beacons. That video of the guy being dug out while has helmet cam was on the whole time really should of been a wake up call.

Firecatguy
11-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Hey for those of you who have been to MMC and Greenrock is there room to get a tractor trailer in there?

lookin4snow
11-06-2010, 05:31 PM
I have seen the Yamaha semi in the Snowy Mountain Lodge parking lot - so yes. There is also a big circle turn-around at the Green Rock parking area that you should be able to navigate with a semi.

snoluver1
11-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Hey for those of you who have been to MMC and Greenrock is there room to get a tractor trailer in there?

Last time I saw a semi try to use the turn around, they had to pull him out of the ditch with a snow cat. A couple hour ordeal. It can be done, but its a tight squeeze and also, the road past the turn around up to SML can be drifted over 4 foot deep within a couple hours. They don't call them the "blowies" for nothing. lol Like I said, it can be done, but you had better be a good operator, and be prepared for the conditions!

Firecatguy
11-06-2010, 08:22 PM
sweet thanks guys...

Firecatguy
11-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Alert: ...SIGNIFICANT CHANGE TO WINTER WEATHER EXPECTED FOR WESTERN AND
CENTRAL WYOMING BY EARLY NEXT WEEK...

THE MILD AND DRY WEATHER THAT HAS BEEN EXPERIENCED ACROSS MUCH OF
THE AREA DURING THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS WILL COME TO AN END BY
EARLY NEXT WEEK.
A STRONG PACIFIC WINTER STORM NOW OFF THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST AND
CANADIAN COAST WILL TRACK EAST TO THE ROCKIES BY MONDAY. THIS STORM
HAS THE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE AS MUCH AS 6 TO 9 INCHES OF SNOWFALL
ACROSS THE FAR WESTERN WYOMING MOUNTAINS

doospunk
11-06-2010, 09:48 PM

EARLY NEXT WEEK.

:D

Skylar
11-06-2010, 09:55 PM

EARLY NEXT WEEK.

:D :eek:

Firecatguy
11-06-2010, 10:09 PM

:D :eek:

Bring On Winter!!!!

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce016.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy014.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce016.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Firecatguy
11-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Skylar,
I seen you talking about it over there at sw I was just starting same thing my friend rock got me on a right path!!!!!so lets see what else we come up with here...

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc380/firecatguy2/wyo.jpg

fgsacts
11-07-2010, 08:16 AM

I am assuming since Snowy Mountain Lodge is closed that no one is plowing the road up to their parking lot. I know the previous owner of SML, Dave, is the one that plowed the road up to the lodge. I am assuming that the road is only being plowed up to Greenrock parking lot. Getting a big rig in there is going to depend on how everyone parked. Some times it is very orderly and other times everyone parks like they own the place. I never made it out there last year so maybe someone else can comment on if the road and SML parking lot are being plowed still.

skeedoo
11-07-2010, 09:13 AM
The good plowing (full street width) stopped at the parking area but someone was plowing a "lane" just wide enough to get a truck and sled trailer thru up to SML... definetly not for a semi. They were still renting Yamaha sleds out of SML's parking lot. Saw a truck and 27' sled trailer come up to SML parking lot and try and turn around and get stuck bad, really bad. Saw a semi parked in the small parking lot about half way up to Greenrock on left. He was stopped there and was putting chains on his wheels. My opinion is not good situation for semi trailers, especially if area is getting pounded with snow.

Firecatguy
11-07-2010, 09:27 AM
good thing red and Robbie know what there doing.....lol!!!!!!talked to a friend from ND last night who has taken his Rig up there 4 times over the years!!!!!I have alot faith in Red if an average driver can get there truck and 28ft trailer in Red can do it with a 53footer.....

with that we will have room for any of you mn guys who like to send your sled and not pull a trailer......we have room for our sleds and 5 xtra...

is greenrock where you park for MMC?

skeedoo
11-07-2010, 09:56 AM
good thing red and Robbie know what there doing.....lol!!!!!!talked to a friend from ND last night who has taken his Rig up there 4 times over the years!!!!!I have alot faith in Red if an average driver can get there truck and 28ft trailer in Red can do it with a 53footer.....

with that we will have room for any of you mn guys who like to send your sled and not pull a trailer......we have room for our sleds and 5 xtra...

Holy Crap... You guys bringing a semi!! It really is not an good place for a semi but I have faith in Red, if anyone can do it he's the man. Most people staying at MMC park on the road right in front of SML (the furthest point you can go with a vehicle). Chris and Michelle will bring a sled with sled trailer thing on ski's down to that area and help you cart your stuff up to MMC. If you can make the trip without a semi I would recommend that but if not then we'll make it work. Could always park it down in Centennial and get one of us with a big trailer to take your sleds up to Greenrock/MMC. Lets load that semi up and head to B.C., now that sounds like fun!!

Firecatguy
11-07-2010, 10:16 AM
We looked into the BC THING but all Robbie tractors have a wheelbase that not let onto canada......

Skylar
11-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Skylar,
I seen you talking about it over there at sw I was just starting same thing my friend rock got me on a right path!!!!!so lets see what else we come up with here...

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc380/firecatguy2/wyo.jpg

Yea, there is a guy on Snowest is going to send me some pics of a lot of the main landmarks, along with the gps coordinates. Maybe I should get a gps eh? LOL.

doospunk
11-07-2010, 11:37 AM

Pat - Give me a ring to discuss that further.

XFIRE1
11-07-2010, 12:12 PM

just reposting , if your looking for a DEAL!!!! don't delay....don't think you are going to get a lower price on mountian gear than this..

why rent or borrow,,own it and know how it works could make a BIG differance..

thanks Darrell

Firecatguy
11-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Pat - Give me a ring to discuss that further.

you got it!!!!!!!!!!!!hey Skylar i found my map of the area!!!

Skylar
11-07-2010, 04:47 PM
you got it!!!!!!!!!!!!hey Skylar i found my map of the area!!!

I had my goody package from Carbon County arrive on Saturday. They will send me a 2010 2011 map as soon as they arrive. So far now I will sit and study the 2009-2010 map. Along with google earth!

cuzzinolaf
11-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Yea, there is a guy on Snowest is going to send me some pics of a lot of the main landmarks, along with the gps coordinates. Maybe I should get a gps eh? LOL.

If you're nice to me I might share my GPS map that has a lot of land marks, most of the trails, and some play spots.

Skylar
11-07-2010, 06:42 PM
if you're nice to me i might share my gps map that has a lot of land marks, most of the trails, and some play spots.

deal!

cuzzinolaf
11-07-2010, 06:43 PM
deal!

Do you have a Garmin GPS?

Skylar
11-07-2010, 06:49 PM
LOL, I don't own a GPS right at the moment. I had to decide if I wanted the beacon, or a gps. I went with the beacon. Hopefully I will have a gps by the big trip.

cuzzinolaf
11-07-2010, 06:50 PM
LOL, I don't own a GPS right at the moment. I had to decide if I wanted the beacon, or a gps. I went with the beacon. Hopefully I will have a gps by the big trip.

Get a Garmin. If you do I this map will work.

Skylar
11-07-2010, 07:12 PM
I am thinking of the gpsmap 60Cx, which one do you have? Likes, dislikes?

Firecatguy
11-07-2010, 08:24 PM
love my rino........works awsome....it has a feture where you can see the other rino on the screen thru the two way radio...........

nitroman
11-07-2010, 11:38 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPS-60CSx-Handheld-Navigator/dp/B000CSOXTO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289187075&sr=8-1

This one rocks! and you can get free topo's for it online! And when you get back you can overlay it on google earth and see where you went.

Skylar
11-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Sweet, I was checking it out here also...http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-gpsmap-60csx.html

RevKev
11-08-2010, 01:37 AM
Sweet, I was checking it out here also...http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-gpsmap-60csx.html

I have the 60Csx, it is a great GPS. Wow have they come down in price. When I bought Mine 3 years ago, it was over $400. They are fully waterproof, 3 Seasons on the Sled, and also use it on the Quad, rain and mud, it is unaffected.

fgsacts
11-08-2010, 07:38 AM

I have the same unit. Very reliable and user friendly. I believe I paid over $300 a year or two ago. We also still have and use a 60c.

XFIRE1
11-08-2010, 08:11 AM

I also have the same one, go with the 60csx (color) had mine for 4 years, no problems. works great in the dense trees in the u.p. also factor in the ram mount for it, once it is locked in even if you roll sled it will be there.( it's been tested trust me )

if you can get with the topo maps included that is a bonus,when i bought mine with the maps and mount it was close to $500 so the prices have really come down for a nice unit.

Darrell

Firecatguy
11-08-2010, 09:26 AM
http://www.pricebreak.com/details/0-3468/garmin-rino-530-hcx.html?chid=1000&cid=5662

I believe they are close to same model, the rino has two way on them and ping the other units......Dave bought one last week and got better deal than this just not sure where he got it!!!!!I also like coming home and putting the tracks over google earth!!!!the radio and pinging part worked good as last year in Tog i was stuck in the trees and with my wrist hurting I had hard time getting my sled unstuck Robbie and Red looked at the GPS and followed right to me as trying to tell someone where you are is difficult we tried but saying Im up here and over there was not working hahahaha....

polarisrider1
11-08-2010, 05:52 PM
What kind of cell phone signal do you guys get at the Snowies?, Centennial?, Mtn. Meadows?

cuzzinolaf
11-08-2010, 06:05 PM
What kind of cell phone signal do you guys get at the Snowies?, Centennial?, Mtn. Meadows?

I have Verizon and if I walk out towards the shop from the cabin @ MMC I can get service. I think you can get service in Centennial but am not sure.

skeedoo
11-08-2010, 07:28 PM

I have Verizon. Have great signal in Centennial, and spotty on the mountain.

lookin4snow
11-08-2010, 08:14 PM

I have the older 60 CS and it is awesome. Lots of miles on the sled and still works great. I saw that Cabela's had a special on the 60CSX recently for like $220 including the Topo software. I almost bought it as a spare as I think they are discontinuing the 60 and going to the 62.

Verizon has fine service in Centennial. At Snowy Mountain Lodge it was not good - text in parking lot only.

polarisrider1
11-09-2010, 12:30 AM
just wondering. I have Verizon and my Droid 2 has GPS with topo maps, I can set it up to locate other similar Verizon phones. just thinking of the backup possibilities my phone may offer that I may not be aware of yet. I have a Lowrance GPS on my sled, Lowrance web site will sell me topos with points of interest in the snowies for about $5 for each 5sq.miles. kinda pricey. I did just west of Togwotee to just east of Lava Mtn. with a 15 mile wide band between them (60 sq. miles) for $60.00 I suspect Garmin will do this too???? Downside of the Lowrance is touch screen. wiping snow off moves it around. Upside screen is large.

XFIRE1
11-09-2010, 07:56 AM
just wondering. I have Verizon and my Droid 2 has GPS with topo maps, I can set it up to locate other similar Verizon phones. just thinking of the backup possibilities my phone may offer that I may not be aware of yet. I have a Lowrance GPS on my sled, Lowrance web site will sell me topos with points of interest in the snowies for about $5 for each 5sq.miles. kinda pricey. I did just west of Togwotee to just east of Lava Mtn. with a 15 mile wide band between them (60 sq. miles) for $60.00 I suspect Garmin will do this too???? Downside of the Lowrance is touch screen. wiping snow off moves it around. Upside screen is large.

you got a fish locater mounted on your sled???:rolleyes:

just kidding!
Darrell

polarisrider1
11-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Well the Lowrance died today. Son dropped it one to many times. all the pixals are scrambled in to a corner. Smurfrider you can have the SD card in it for your Lowrance. Our model has been discontinued. Okay with that said I am in the market for a new GPS unless Droid has a snowmobile trail map App. Which it doesn't. Sounds like the Garmin is the way to go. Anyone need a couple Lowrance XOG mounts?

Firecatguy
11-09-2010, 10:24 PM
dont forget your two way radios boys and girls!!!!!!channel 5-10

Skylar
11-09-2010, 10:33 PM

Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHEYENNE WY330 PM MST TUE NOV 9 2010...SNOW WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS THROUGH THE EVENING....A PACIFIC STORM SYSTEM WILL CONTINUE TO BRING SNOW TO THESOUTHEAST WYOMING MOUNTAINS THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE EVENING.ADDITIONALLY...NORTHWEST WINDS OF 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 30MPH WITH CREATE AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW...ESPECIALLY IN THE HIGHESTTERRAIN.WYZ103-112-114-100600-/O.CON.KCYS.WW.Y.0016.000000T0000Z-101110T0600Z/NORTH LARAMIE RANGE-SIERRA MADRE RANGE-SNOWY RANGE-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CENTENNIAL...ALBANY...WOODS LANDING330 PM MST TUE NOV 9 2010...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 PM MST THISEVENING...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 PM MST THISEVENING.* TIMING...THROUGH 11 PM TONIGHT.* TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 10 INCHES.* WINDS...NORTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 30 MPH.* IMPACTS...SNOW AND BLOWING OF FALLING SNOW WILL RESULT IN VISIBILITIES LOWERING TO AROUND ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES. THIS COMBINED WITH SLUSHY OR ICY ROADWAYS WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES...AND HUNTERS SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR DETERIORATING CONDITIONS TODAY.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW COMBINED WITH GUSTY WINDSMEANS THAT IMPACTS WILL PRIMARILY BE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BEPREPARED FOR SLUSHY OR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND LIMITEDVISIBILITIES...SLOW DOWN...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.</PRE>

techsledder
11-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Roger that! Great addition is the shoulder mic too. :)

fgsacts
11-10-2010, 07:09 AM

10-4 Good buddy.

Firecatguy
11-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Roger that! Great addition is the shoulder mic too. :)

yep sure is.............

http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr317/firecatguy/hmkbag028.jpg

fgsacts
11-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Where do you get shoulder mic's? Are they brand specific? I assume there is a speaker in the mic also so you can hear the person you are talking to?

Firecatguy
11-10-2010, 02:45 PM
I went thru Radio shack orderd online...yes you can google the two way you have and motorola makes a mic\speaker for it!!!!!

fgsacts
11-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Found the speaker/mics on line at Walmart.com Can you hear them with your helmet on? Kind of defeats the purpose if you can't, right? What am I missing? I have Motorola Talkabout 230R's. Usually the only time we use the radios is when we can't find someone and we all get the radios out and try making contact. Usually doesn't happen until everyone is shut down, including the person we can't locate. My direct question; is the external speaker loud enough to hear with the engine off and your helmet on? I assume you can not hear it while moving or with the engine on, correct?

Firecatguy
11-10-2010, 05:37 PM
I can hear and speak at WOT.........its nice when you are trying to get thru an area and you cant see the guy in front he can tell ya to go or stay and when your looking for someone yes......I use it alot but then we all carry radios in arms reach!!!!

I learned this from an old wise one!!!!!!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce005.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

fgsacts
11-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Looks like I need to get a couple ordered up. Every year I think I have everything I need but I always seem to be spending money. Why is that, lol? Ordered a high altitude lighter this morning, new goggles last week, new riding pants before that. Does it ever end?

Firecatguy
11-10-2010, 07:11 PM
snow gods will take all your money!!!then in 4 years they want more!!!!

polarisrider1
11-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Looks like I need to get a couple ordered up. Every year I think I have everything I need but I always seem to be spending money. Why is that, lol? Ordered a high altitude lighter this morning, new goggles last week, new riding pants before that. Does it ever end?

nope! Next yr. you will buy a Polaris Pro 800 RMK then it will be all new gear again. Motor fist colors are a good match. I am sure that is why Smurfrider (Doug) has red and black Klim wear.

nitroman
11-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Have you guys tried the Collett Communicators? We use them out west nice to be able to talk if we need to!

polarisrider1
11-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Have you guys tried the Collett Communicators? We use them out west nice to be able to talk if we need to!

sold all 4 sets I had. Not really wanting to talk much out there during the day. Communications for safety is fine. but chit chat all day gets old. It is about you and the machine and the mtn. We can talk chet in the PM. over drinks.

nitroman
11-11-2010, 12:44 AM
We got a no chit-chat rule only needed comunication! Had 1 buddy that would kill our batteries with his all day banter had a talk with him and now he's quiet. If it gets to chatty I turn mine off and claim my battery is dead lol! I agree me,machine,mountain that's it!

fgsacts
11-11-2010, 06:42 AM
nope! Next yr. you will buy a Polaris Pro 800 RMK then it will be all new gear again. Motor fist colors are a good match.

I will never say never but my blood still bleeds green.

polarisrider1
11-11-2010, 06:04 PM
I will never say never but my blood still bleeds green.

That's only because Cuzz got to you first. For giggles and grins we will rent you one for a day when I can ever get you to Tog. then Carter will show you how to ride it. (no offense, thats what he does best).

cuzzinolaf
11-11-2010, 06:09 PM
That's only because Cuzz got to you first. For giggles and grins we will rent you one for a day when I can ever get you to Tog. then Carter will show you how to ride it. (no offense, thats what he does best).

I didn't get to him first. His son was in college before I touched a snowmobile for the first time. Green is green and he doesn't wear a diaper like the rest of you Polaris riders.

=O

<running and hiding>

polarisrider1
11-11-2010, 06:18 PM
I didn't get to him first. His son was in college before I touched a snowmobile for the first time. Green is green and he doesn't wear a diaper like the rest of you Polaris riders.

=O

<running and hiding>

lurker! lol. 5 minutes and you got me. Andy and the rest of us Primadonnas as we are referred to as, Will make you see red in the end! How can you not want a new RMK Pro? lol.

cuzzinolaf
11-11-2010, 06:20 PM
How can you not want a new RMK Pro? lol.

I have an Arctic Cat M8.... a far superior sled. :p

Going to a RMK would be like me buying a 120cc sled. Not gonna happen!

polarisrider1
11-11-2010, 06:29 PM
I have an Arctic Cat M8.... a far superior sled. :p

Going to a RMK would be like me buying a 120cc sled. Not gonna happen!

Gotta luv you for your entertainment qualities alone. And as always we never really go anywhere with these conversations!

cuzzinolaf
11-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Gotta luv you for your entertainment qualities alone. And as always we never really go anywhere with these conversations!

Thanks, Dad!

Skylar
11-11-2010, 08:45 PM
thanks, dad!

lmao

Firecatguy
11-11-2010, 10:18 PM
wow cat green sucks.....just sayin.....well ok I kinda like the new lime green.........

59 days yeeeeeehaw!!!!!!

polarisrider1
11-11-2010, 10:18 PM
lmao

I can't say much on that. He could be my son.

doospunk
11-11-2010, 10:21 PM
lurker! lol. 5 minutes and you got me. Andy and the rest of us Primadonnas as we are referred to as, Will make you see red in the end! How can you not want a new RMK Pro? lol.

"How can you not want a new RMK Pro??" Cuzz's skills could never go beyond da poody cat! Kitties have a one track mind! ;o) (Kinda funny that I've never rode with ya Cuzz, but enjoy throwing the crap back and forth!! Lookin forward to the trip!)

cuzzinolaf
11-11-2010, 11:30 PM
snip snip

doospunk
11-12-2010, 12:49 AM
snip snip

Yeah.........., what can I say!............I found a way to reduce some riding weight!! :cool:

Firecatguy
11-12-2010, 08:18 AM
ouch

fgsacts
11-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Was riding Cat long before I knew Cuzz. Even trailerd them on an open trailer. They are tough and can handle it. Not like some others I know. Primadonas!

techsledder
11-12-2010, 10:15 AM
I can't say much on that. He could be my son.
One can learn a lot from the older generation! ;) Cuzz should be happy to be able to ride with ya. I for one can't wait to see all this ribb'n turn into something funny as **** out in the Snowies.

Firecatguy
11-12-2010, 12:25 PM
One can learn a lot from the older generation! ;) Cuzz should be happy to be able to ride with ya. I for one can't wait to see all this ribb'n turn into something funny as **** out in the Snowies.

soooooooo That would mean your going??????????

techsledder
11-12-2010, 01:48 PM
soooooooo That would mean your going??????????
Yep!

cuzzinolaf
11-12-2010, 02:27 PM
22 inches as of today.

Firecatguy
11-12-2010, 07:01 PM
22 inches as of today.

nice

Firecatguy
11-12-2010, 07:16 PM
http://www.coloradowebcam.net/webcams/wy/index.php

polarisrider1
11-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Was riding Cat long before I knew Cuzz. Even trailerd them on an open trailer. They are tough and can handle it. Not like some others I know. Primadonas!

see how you are.

polarisrider1
11-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks, Dad!

Hey Son, hate to break this to you but.......You was conceived on an old school Polaris centurion.

polarisrider1
11-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Yep!

Sweet! Just want to warn you! Cuzz is a loose cannon. (I blame his mother.)

WIrider
11-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Yep!

What the **** bro, I have to read it here!!! You can't call. :mad: Now you better put that sled back together.....

What did you have to give up?

Firecatguy
11-12-2010, 09:15 PM
What the **** bro, I have to read it here!!! You can't call. :mad: Now you better put that sled back together.....

What did you have to give up?

his balls...........

polarisrider1
11-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Ouch! so looks like we got 30-40 going so far?

Firecatguy
11-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Ouch! so looks like we got 30-40 going so far?

its ugly.........

WIrider
11-12-2010, 09:51 PM
his balls...........

Lets just hope he can work in a trip to TOG in the spring...

polarisrider1
11-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Tog. during Hill climb week! is that a plan? I can get us discounts on the whole pkg. I wasn't planning on going since I am going to Cooke City instead. But I can do both!! I will have my valid permit from the snowies trip still! Wife will just love it if I do 3 trips out west.

WIrider
11-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Tog. during Hill climb week! is that a plan? I can get us discounts on the whole pkg. I wasn't planning on going since I am going to Cooke City instead. But I can do both!! I will have my valid permit from the snowies trip still! Wife will just love it if I do 3 trips out west.

Not entirely sure what week in March, but I know he was trying to drag Cuzz out there to show him what a quality guided trip really means....I think we were looking at later in March.

polarisrider1
11-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Not entirely sure what week in March, but I know he was trying to drag Cuzz out there to show him what a quality guided trip really means....I think we were looking at later in March.

Cuzz and fgsacts both need to go on that trip. They will thank us a million times over I know. Hill climb is last week of March. It is fun to take a day out of the middle of the riding to go to Jackson Hole and do the cowboy Bar and watch the Hill climb.

Firecatguy
11-12-2010, 10:55 PM
yep Disneyland for sledders....I hope to see the hillclim this year!!!!!

Skylar
11-13-2010, 12:34 AM
his balls...........

LMAO! Occasionally I get to rent mine from my wife! :)

Firecatguy
11-13-2010, 12:42 AM

Hehehehehe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

doospunk
11-13-2010, 01:57 AM

Haha!! Where's she keep them? They got some freezer burn on em?

Skylar
11-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Haha!! Where's she keep them? They got some freezer burn on em?

The last time I asked, she said they were rolling around in the bottom of her purse! :eek:

polarisrider1
11-13-2010, 04:19 PM
The last time I asked, she said they were rolling around in the bottom of her purse! :eek:

Oh my! the sacrifices for this trip.

Skylar
11-14-2010, 11:59 AM
From the other day, past Lake Marie.

Skylar
11-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Urgent - winter weather message
national weather service cheyenne wy
1159 am mst sun nov 14 2010

...more snow expected for the snowy and sierra madre ranges later
today through monday...

.a weather disturbance aloft will push south into the rocky
mountains today and tonight...with snow redeveloping across the
higher elevations by late this afternoon. Strong upslope flow
combined with a strong jet stream aloft will result in periods of
heavy snow across the sierra madre and snowy ranges tonight
through early monday morning.

Wyz112-114-150300-
/o.con.kcys.ww.y.0019.101115t0100z-101116t0100z/
sierra madre range-snowy range-
including the cities of...centennial...albany...woods landing
1159 am mst sun nov 14 2010

...winter weather advisory remains in effect from 6 pm this
evening to 6 pm mst monday...

A winter weather advisory remains in effect from 6 pm this
evening to 6 pm mst monday.

* timing...scattered snow showers this afternoon will become
more numerous by this evening...with snow falling heavy at
times late tonight through early monday morning.

* total snow accumulations...6 to 12 inches with locally higher
amounts over the west facing slopes and peaks.

* winds/visibilities...westerly winds will become northwest late
tonight with sustained winds between 20 to 35 mph...which will
create areas of blowing and drifting snow across unsheltered
locations. Visibilities will be reduced to one half mile or
less at times.

* impacts...primarily travel difficulties over high elevation
roadways and mountain passes. Roads will be snow packed with
poor visibilities due to falling snow and blowing snow.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A winter weather advisory for snow and blowing snow means that
visibilities will be limited due to a combination of falling and
blowing snow. Use caution when traveling...especially in open
areas.

Firecatguy
11-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Today............................................o k im sooooo ready to ride...............

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc380/firecatguy2/DSC00818.jpg

cuzzinolaf
11-15-2010, 10:54 AM
42 inches in the Snowies (North French Creek) this morning. Who wants to do a Turkey Day ride?

To compare for you Tog guys.... 25 on Tog Pass.

Firecatguy
11-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Tday you say.....mmmmmmm BRAAAAAAAP! if it keeps coming...hhmmmmmm

Firecatguy
11-15-2010, 12:02 PM
42 inches in the Snowies (North French Creek) this morning. Who wants to do a Turkey Day ride?

To compare for you Tog guys.... 25 on Tog Pass.

cuzzinolaf
11-15-2010, 01:25 PM

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/snotel/snotelday2.pl?site=822&station=10f09s&state=wy&report=depth

cuzzinolaf
11-15-2010, 02:45 PM
11-23 inches between now and Tuesday night. HOLLA!

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=41.29147976745682&lon=-106.38988494873047&site=cys&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

Skylar
11-15-2010, 07:33 PM
11-23 inches between now and Tuesday night. HOLLA!

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=41.29147976745682&lon=-106.38988494873047&site=cys&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

doospunk
11-15-2010, 07:36 PM
:D :)

polarisrider1
11-15-2010, 07:58 PM
:) Cuzz is all ready to go!

Firecatguy
11-15-2010, 11:34 PM
2 sledders missing out of Albany!!!!!!Going On their second night out not prepared either...........

Firecatguy
11-16-2010, 09:51 AM
2 sledders missing out of Albany!!!!!!Going On their second night out not prepared either...........

still missing...sounds like the snow is bottomless 4ft and they where on 136sleds.....not alot S&R....sounds like two S&R and two sledders helping.....its not looking good at this point..........

the weather for today..........

Today: Snow and widespread blowing snow. High near 27. Wind chill values as low as -5. Windy, with a west wind around 40 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible............

Please pray for these two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cuzzinolaf
11-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Lets go out and rescue them... get an early season ride in. You've done some Search and Rescue before, Pat.

Firecatguy
11-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Lets go out and rescue them... get an early season ride in. You've done some Search and Rescue before, Pat.

pick me up!!!!cat pointed out and gear is packed......

Firecatguy
11-16-2010, 12:27 PM
http://trib.com/news/updates/article_31323582-f199-11df-a80a-001cc4c03286.html

Firecatguy
11-16-2010, 02:00 PM
They found them this Am!!!!!cold but alive.....

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=163932&catid=339

sledhead1125
11-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Good to here they are found. I think we are going to visit the snowies the 2nd weekend in December. Can't wait!

nitroman
11-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Good to hear! Makes you think twicw about what you pack for a ride. I've been thru some extreme cant see the front bumper of my sled white out's out there can't imagine trying to search for smoeone in those conditions. Kudo's to those that dropped what they were doing to go help out with the search them's good people!

skeedoo
11-16-2010, 10:19 PM
FYI... Check out the thread on JD Western Riding page about, "On The Snow" Avalanche Course by Mike Duffy for Jan. 12-16 Snowies Trip. Sign up there if you are interested.

polarisrider1
11-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Good info. Doing the class in GR MI dec.12, so that will work for me. I understand that we get to bury Cuzzinolaf with his beacon on and we get to probe the H@*& out of him all in the name of learning. that alone is worth $79

cuzzinolaf
11-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Good info. Doing the class in GR MI dec.12, so that will work for me. I understand that we get to bury Cuzzinolaf with his beacon on and we get to probe the H@*& out of him all in the name of learning. that alone is worth $79

Dad, people don't want to hear about your disgusting desire to probe me... and neither do I. Please keep these filthy thoughts to yourself.

polarisrider1
11-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Dad, people don't want to hear about your disgusting desire to probe me... and neither do I. Please keep these filthy thoughts to yourself.

lol. whatever.

Firecatguy
11-16-2010, 11:28 PM
ok we will be going the week after you guys....................

cuzzinolaf
11-16-2010, 11:29 PM
ok we will be going the week after you guys....................

He could be your father too. You take him.

Firecatguy
11-16-2010, 11:44 PM
He could be your father too. You take him.

nope I know my Dad!!!!lol

cuzzinolaf
11-16-2010, 11:45 PM
nope I know my Dad!!!!lol

OK, he could be your mom.

Firecatguy
11-16-2010, 11:51 PM
OK, he could be your mom.

Hahahahhah.....tic tic tic tic...54 days!!!!!!!!!!

Firecatguy
11-17-2010, 08:32 AM
here is the story on the guys caught out at snowies..........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Facts
The trip was supposed to be a quick one.
Ap just finished a rail extension on his XP and Paul just got his sled back from Felkers with a new motor and wanted to log some break in miles. Adam said it was clear and beautiful one second and bad the next. They hunkered down that night due to no visibility and had a fire and waited till the morning. When I believe Pauls sled wouldnt start due to frozen carbs. They doubled up on Adams 136 till it ran out of gas. For those that know Adam its true. He now rides a long track. Weather turned and they started walking. Second night was spent in shelter with no fire. Paul said he heard the first group from Tri City drive by that morning and he started to try to get closer and wave his arms. Search and Rescue was just ahead of us and saw Paul. We got Paul and Adam to the old log shelter and got them some water and food. Search and Rescue doubled them out to Albany Lodge. Adam went to the Hospoital with a low body temp and Paiul hung out in the Lodge till his toes turned purple and he headed in to have them looked at.

cuzzinolaf
11-17-2010, 10:13 AM
here is the story on the guys caught out at snowies..........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Facts
The trip was supposed to be a quick one.
Ap just finished a rail extension on his XP and Paul just got his sled back from Felkers with a new motor and wanted to log some break in miles. Adam said it was clear and beautiful one second and bad the next. They hunkered down that night due to no visibility and had a fire and waited till the morning. When I believe Pauls sled wouldnt start due to frozen carbs. They doubled up on Adams 136 till it ran out of gas. For those that know Adam its true. He now rides a long track. Weather turned and they started walking. Second night was spent in shelter with no fire. Paul said he heard the first group from Tri City drive by that morning and he started to try to get closer and wave his arms. Search and Rescue was just ahead of us and saw Paul. We got Paul and Adam to the old log shelter and got them some water and food. Search and Rescue doubled them out to Albany Lodge. Adam went to the Hospoital with a low body temp and Paiul hung out in the Lodge till his toes turned purple and he headed in to have them looked at.

Man, that sucks. Moral of the story. Buy a kitty cat with EFI.

techsledder
11-17-2010, 11:57 AM
...Another thought is you should probably have a group of at least 4 dudes for back country riding, especially out there. Glad to hear they're okay.

Firecatguy
11-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Man, that sucks. Moral of the story. Buy a kitty cat with EFI.

ouch

cuzzinolaf
11-17-2010, 09:25 PM
58 inches in North French Creek

polarisrider1
11-17-2010, 09:36 PM
You want a dozen if there is digging to be done. Remember us flatlanders tire fast at altitude just standing around, let alone digging. We have a majority of experienced guys going, from the ones I know. "Cuzz" is our loose cannon, he will do anything on a dare. And we got "Danger" he is our, "well I don't know if we should do that" guy. We will be fine. is it true Saber is not going?

Firecatguy
11-18-2010, 12:51 AM
You want a dozen if there is digging to be done. Remember us flatlanders tire fast at altitude just standing around, let alone digging. We have a majority of experienced guys going, from the ones I know. "Cuzz" is our loose cannon, he will do anything on a dare. And we got "Danger" he is our, "well I don't know if we should do that" guy. We will be fine. is it true Saber is not going?

what sabercat a no go?wth

boatingbent
11-18-2010, 09:57 AM
We will be staying in Albany in january .....Last Jan we stayed at Old Coral it was alright but didn`t really like the trailering up to the Parking Lot every day .....I guess My question is how long of a ride is it from Albany to where the trail hits Hwy 130????

polarisrider1
11-18-2010, 11:06 AM
what sabercat a no go?wth

Andy, can you answer this one for me. I get Saber, Sabercat, and saber1 and all the other varables mixed up, I know he has a way cool ford truck and large sled trailer and is a very nice guy. Pat? Maybe?

fgsacts
11-18-2010, 04:18 PM
I assume you are talking about Ken G. I think he is Sabercat on here. I just talked to him this morning and he is now most likely back in for this trip. He has a large project he is getting ready to start and was unsure if he can afford the time away or not. He sounded optimistic this morning. He is supposed to let us know for sure when he does. I know Ken drives a Dodge. You met him last year on the SN ride in Mass City.

Firecatguy
11-18-2010, 04:22 PM
yep Ken......good to hear he might be going..............

nitroman
11-18-2010, 04:55 PM
We will be staying in Albany in january .....Last Jan we stayed at Old Coral it was alright but didn`t really like the trailering up to the Parking Lot every day .....I guess My question is how long of a ride is it from Albany to where the trail hits Hwy 130????

It's about 45 min to an hour to get to the relly good stuff from Albany. When your worn out and the trails suck that ride home is a killer! There is alot of good stuff to play on along the way that most just drive right by and there are also some logging paths you can take to bypass the trail. We stay at the old Corral now saves alot of time and Gas which is important now that SML is closed. 20 miles each way eats up alot of gas you can use for playtime! If you do stay at Albany your only gas option is the ryan park side and that's a haul just to get gas to make it home! If you head down to Wycolo from Albany make sure they are open they got different hours now and it would suck to get there and not be able to gas up.

fgsacts
11-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Pat and Kris, did you get my messages about MMC needing your info?

polarisrider1
11-18-2010, 07:38 PM
I assume you are talking about Ken G. I think he is Sabercat on here. I just talked to him this morning and he is now most likely back in for this trip. He has a large project he is getting ready to start and was unsure if he can afford the time away or not. He sounded optimistic this morning. He is supposed to let us know for sure when he does. I know Ken drives a Dodge. You met him last year on the SN ride in Mass City.

Yep, Ken. A Dodge? memory is a going fast on this old timer. lol. Very nice guy, knows his stuff. Nice if he makes it.

doospunk
11-18-2010, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Just called and got it taken care of.

Firecatguy
11-18-2010, 07:59 PM

phone is jacked......what up?

doospunk
11-18-2010, 08:05 PM
phone is jacked......what up?

ya lost your cabins. I reserved em as backups, though I could sell em back to ya for a slight 25% premium!! :D

................give Michelle a call at MMC. She needs your address to send the paperwork.

Firecatguy
11-18-2010, 08:07 PM
ya lost your cabins. I reserved em as backups, though I could sell em back to ya for a slight 25% premium!! :D

................give Michelle a call at MMC. She needs your address to send the paperwork.

wait till ya see the bill on the Rig................

polarisrider1
11-18-2010, 08:12 PM
wait till ya see the bill on the Rig................

Boys, boys, play nice! lol.

Firecatguy
11-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Boys, boys, play nice! lol.

HEHE all good.....thanks guys i got ahold of Her at MMC......seems they gave us Andy and keiths cabin.......yeeehaw

fgsacts
11-18-2010, 10:13 PM
You are going to have alot of roommates! We have 5 and 5 in the two big cabins and 4 more down below at the Old Corral.

nitroman
11-18-2010, 11:11 PM
A little snowies history for ya!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_409
If you watch the movie Beetleguise the part where they are going to meet their case worker you hear in the background "now arriving flight 409 at gate number 3"

Firecatguy
11-18-2010, 11:36 PM
yep i seen pics on google earth of pieces of the plane are still there!!!

Big Air Crash
11-19-2010, 11:18 AM
FYI in case your interested.

Avalanche Awareness, Avoidance and Rescue-Stillwater, MN Friday Dec 3, 2010
Class:
Four Hour Avalanche Awareness, Avoidance and Rescue
State:
Minnesota
Date:
December 3, 2010 6:00pm
Directions:

Century Powersports 5920 Memorial Ave N Stillwater, MN 55082 (Hwy 36 & Hwy 5)

www.centurypower.com
Details:

Cost: $49

Skylar
11-19-2010, 02:22 PM
FYI in case your interested.

Avalanche Awareness, Avoidance and Rescue-Stillwater, MN Friday Dec 3, 2010
Class:
Four Hour Avalanche Awareness, Avoidance and Rescue
State:
Minnesota
Date:
December 3, 2010 6:00pm
Directions:

Century Powersports 5920 Memorial Ave N Stillwater, MN 55082 (Hwy 36 & Hwy 5)

www.centurypower.com (http://www.centurypower.com)
Details:

Cost: $49

Just took the class last night, very informative, highly recommend.

Skylar
11-20-2010, 12:29 AM
I just came across this on ebay, and went to their website. http://www.trackme360.com/about_spot.php

For some of us that only go out west once a year, this is a heck of a deal I think. Cheap insurnace. How many people who have been lost in the backcountry wished they would have known about this? I bet those two guys who were lost the other day would have liked to have one with them.

Just a thought....

fgsacts
11-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Research the Spot's. There are alot of negative reviews. If you are going to rent a PLB this may be a better option. I rented from them last year for our Tog trip that got cancelled. I forgot to cancel the PLB rental and it showed up at my house a couple of days before we were supposed to leave as planned. The unit looked brand new.

http://www.plbrentals.com/?gclid=CMX_qpKcr6UCFce7Kgodoma2aQ

Nolimits
11-20-2010, 04:08 PM
I will be making my first trip to the snowies this Jan. We are staying just outside of Centennial. Is there a gas station in Centennial that carries 91/92 octane gas? What elevation should we I be jetted for?

Thanks!

boatingbent
11-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Yes Centenial Has gas ....Right next to the old Coral.....I am not 100% on the octane but I belive they have 91....If I remeber correct you need to be Jetted for 8 to 10000 Feet ......

If you are staying outside of Centenial I am guessing you are in the "Two Dog Chalet" House??? We just booked the house for Jan 2nd thru the 5th

fgsacts
11-21-2010, 09:35 AM
If I remember correctly, Greenrock is just under 10,000 and you go up to areound 11 or 12 in that area. If you go down to Albany area, then it drops down around to 8000.

snoluver1
11-21-2010, 10:44 AM
I will be making my first trip to the snowies this Jan. We are staying just outside of Centennial. Is there a gas station in Centennial that carries 91/92 octane gas? What elevation should we I be jetted for?

Thanks!

You might want to look into a "dial-a-jet" type setup. There is guite a bit of elevation change in the snowies. Depends on how important it is to you to have your sled running right on. Greenrock (where you will park) is right around 10,000. You will have to ride over libby flats to get anywhere, which is close to 12,000. then you drop down from there. If you go down to Saratoga for fuel, your down around 7500 I think. If you want to jet once and forget it, I would jet for 9000 to be safe, unless you plan on staying "up top", and then be careful if you drop down for fuel or lunch. When you come down the west side into Saratoga you will notice your sled running really strong and crisp the lower you get. Remember they run the best just before they blow! Stay out of the throttle if you drop down.

Skylar
11-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Sunday, west side of the snowies. :D

polarisrider1
11-22-2010, 10:22 PM

And I got 61 degrees and pouring rain. It won't be long and we will be there. Skylar with snow like that you better wear your beacon (even on the path to the out house) or we will never find you. How many still trying to get their permission slips signed?

techsledder
11-23-2010, 10:38 AM
That's sick. I'm besides myself with anticipation! Do all the new poo pros dig holes like that?

rp7x
11-23-2010, 10:22 PM
got mine signed today both sides i can fill sombody's spot

polarisrider1
11-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Research the Spot's. There are alot of negative reviews. If you are going to rent a PLB this may be a better option. I rented from them last year for our Tog trip that got cancelled. I forgot to cancel the PLB rental and it showed up at my house a couple of days before we were supposed to leave as planned. The unit looked brand new.

http://www.plbrentals.com/?gclid=CMX_qpKcr6UCFce7Kgodoma2aQ

Andy look into this for us! http://www.google.com/mobile/latitude/ I got it on my phone (don't know how to work it yet).

jmom800x
11-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Below I have copied a post from DooTalk. Member, Rev Barron has put out some safety kits in the snowy's. Marked with gps coordinates.

Chuck does this with his own $$'s, effort and time with out asking for anything in return.....Lets help keep his cause going, join MomsMotorSports.Com by donating products or $$'s for the kits. See information at the end of this post.

Chuck-- "I put these out last year and starting to get them back out again this year. Already have had 3 people spends some nights in the Snowy Range.
Feel free to put these coordinates in your GPS and if you have an emergency you can hopefully make it to one of them. I have put together six kits and will post the rest of the coordinates as I get them placed.

I paid for all this stuff myself (well almost, as I did get a few Snowest members that kindly sent me a few things last year), so if you use something please replace it when you can or let me know if you can't and I'll get it back in there."

Safety Kit Coordinates:

1st one is in the group of pines to the northeast corner of Trail "T" and "Q" at: N 40 deg 47.624' W 105 deg 54.260'

2nd one is in the old cabin off the trail "T" at: N 41 deg 16.937' W 106 deg 17.276'
This is the cabin just to the south of the Nelson Safety Hut east of Trail W. See pictures. It's behind the wood in the corner.

3rd Kit: Same as last year, right off 130 at: N 41 deg 19.807' W 106 deg 21.546'

4th Kit: At the end of the roller coaster right off the trail here: N 41 deg 23.290' W 106 deg 17.916'

5th Kit: Behind Sand Lake Outhouse here: N 41 deg 27.353' W 106 deg 16.392'

Each tote has:
10 ft tow rope, zip ties, duct tape, needle nose pliers, slip-joint pliers, multi-tip screwdriver, steel wire, matches, fire log starter, compass, emergency blanket, hatchet, bunjies, small container of 2 stroke oil, two BPR9ES spark plugs, toilet paper, maps, aluminum cup, 9hr candle, LED flashlight w/extra batteries, two 5x7 plastic tarps, pair of cotton work gloves, pocket hand wamers, small first aid kit, beef jerkey, and a can of Spam. Also nearby will be a 2 gal can of premium fuel.

Chuck Beasley
1574 Landsman Hill Dr.
Loveland, CO 80538

paypal/email: revbaron@yahoo.com

BIG THANKS TO CHUCK AND EVERYONE WHO DONATES.
Jacob Mom

cuzzinolaf
11-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Jacob - That is pretty cool of the guy to do this. I'll be sending a donation this week. I carry a lot of stuff in my pack but you can never have too much in a time of need. I'll print this and carry it with me in my pack. Speaking of packs.. I need to rip into mine and make sure I'm good with everything. I have some new things to add to list and want to be prepared. People think you don't need this stuff int he UP and for the most part I would agree. I did have one experience last year where I really thought we were spending the night int he woods..... because 2 or 3 of the 5 sleds in our group almost ran out of gas. Scary stuff and the only thing that saved us was riding the Ontonagon river into Ontonagon after dark when it was -10 out. Not a fun night.

fgsacts
11-28-2010, 02:03 PM
What a great idea and awesome thing to do. I will be sending a donation also.

jmom800x
11-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Jacob - That is pretty cool of the guy to do this. I'll be sending a donation this week.

X2, Thanks for your support. Rev Kev told me about this last season. Although, Chuck does it all on his own, expecting nothing in return, I think if all the guys who ride the area made a small donation it will help.

I think we should start doing this at other locations that we all ride. We all chip in for the supplies. Early season riders drop them off, late season riders pick them up.

You can never be too prepared in the mountains.

I am very supportive of any type of rescue/survival assistance for mountain riders. After being flown out in a chopper with a compound fracture after a four hour rescue on one occasion and being left out ALONE 22 miles form the lodge in the Snowy's, I know all too well the vastness of the wilderness in the west.

RevKev
11-29-2010, 12:30 AM
being left out ALONE 22 miles form the lodge in the Snowy's, I know all too well the vastness of the wilderness in the west.

What cha talkin' bout Willis. :cool:

skeedoo
11-29-2010, 01:34 AM
I remember seeing a post by RevBarron last year on dootalk that he does this and I have seen his post again this year. I printed off a copy of his post and put it in my backpack then and have done the same thing again. I believe its the same locations as before. How generous!!! It is a great idea and what a great person to do this type of thing. Happy to support the cause. Wish there were more people like Rev Barron in the world... generally concerned for the well being of others. Frickin' awesome guy!!

Here's a couple of maps and some more info on the location of his safety kits:

RevBarron will dig them up and keep them just under the snow, but they can be buried. Just look at the orange tape on trees at SK#5 by the outhouse...the flags up high are from last spring when the snow is like 8-10ft deep. If you go by one, stop and dig it up then just cover it back up a little along with the gas can.

XFIRE1
11-29-2010, 08:18 AM
do we want to make just single donations or should we wait and make a large donation as a group when we get together in jan. with the amount of people we have going we might be able to finance a ADDITIONAL safety kit.

what do you think??

Darrell

jmom800x
11-29-2010, 11:04 AM
What cha talkin' bout Willis. :cool:

When my riding 'friends' thought I was out front or with Ron S. But, I had bounced into a huge, deep tree whole, and everyone went back to the lodge(22miles). Glad I didn't have to spend the night out, dug it out, found the trail and made my way back. Just as I made it to the lodge, the search party was grouping up to come and find me. It is amazing how quick you feel alone and how 'far out there' you really are.