PDA

View Full Version : Cooke City 1/21 to 1/29

polarisrider1
01-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Already packed. Who all will be out there at this time? (besides Revkev and I).

echohunter
01-16-2011, 11:56 PM
We just got back from cooke new years day ... .. Snow is phenomenal right now. . .best I have ever ridden . ..so much for Al gores hoax!!!. . .yer gonna have fun!!

indy_500
01-17-2011, 12:59 AM
Already packed. Who all will be out there at this time? (besides Revkev and I).

your killin me smalls!

RevKev
01-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Cooke just received over a foot of fresh Pow, with more in the 10 day forecast......but the Avy danger is High:eek: Rick just got the Semi all tuned up, and had the ECM reprogramed, we will be rolling with 470 HP of pure Detroit Diesel Power!!! Meeting Rick at Noon Friday in RC, loading up the Knuckle heads there, then the GR Folks, and Later the Gang in South Bend, and a last stop in Minnesota. We will have 25 to 26 sleds in the trailer, a FULL Load.

polarisrider1
01-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Cooke just received over a foot of fresh Pow, with more in the 10 day forecast......but the Avy danger is High:eek: Rick just got the Semi all tuned up, and had the ECM reprogramed, we will be rolling with 470 HP of pure Detroit Diesel Power!!! Meeting Rick at Noon Friday in RC, loading up the Knuckle heads there, then the GR Folks, and Later the Gang in South Bend, and a last stop in Minnesota. We will have 25 to 26 sleds in the trailer, a FULL Load.

Heck, I am working in Indianapolis till fri. Am. Should of drug sled down here and met in south bend. I will be at regular Grand Rapids pickup location. Got my wife delivering sled and clothes. Gotta love her.

RevKev
01-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Audio file http://mtavalanche.com/audio/play/5950
Cooke City has received over 3 feet in the past 72 hours
Avalanche Danger is HIGH on wind loaded slopes over 35 degrees, Considerable on all other slopes.

RevKev
01-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Winter Storm Warning for Cooke City Montana, Beartooth Range Montana

Issued by The National Weather Service
Billings, MT
4:09 am MST, Tue., Jan. 18, 2011

... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 5 PM MST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BILLINGS HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 5 PM MST WEDNESDAY.

* TIMING: SNOW WILL DEVELOP THIS AFTERNOON... BECOMING HEAVY AT TIMES THIS EVENING. PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH MUCH OF THE DAY WEDNESDAY BEFORE ENDING WEDNESDAY EVENING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATION: 12 TO 18 INCHES OF SNOW IS EXPECTED BY LATE WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. THE HEAVIEST SNOW WILL BE ON WEST AND NORTH FACING SLOPES.

* IMPACTS: HEAVY SNOW WILL MAKE BACK COUNTRY ACTIVITIES AND TRAVEL DIFFICULT TO IMPOSSIBLE AT TIMES THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF SNOW IS EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

&&

More Information

.PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CONTINUE OVER EASTERN AREAS THIS MORNING... WITH AN ADDITIONAL ONE TO TWO INCHES OF SNOW EXPECTED. COLD AIR WILL SURGE BACK INTO SOUTH CENTRAL MONTANA AND NORTH CENTRAL WYOMING TODAY AFTER MAKING A BRIEF RETREAT EARLY THIS MORNING. THIS PUSH OF COLD AIR WILL MOVE ALL THE WAY INTO THE MOUNTAINS BY THIS EVENING. AS THE COLD AIR MOVES BACK INTO THE AREA... PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE FROM RAIN TO FREEZING RAIN AND THEN SNOW. FREEZING RAIN IS EXPECTED TO BE LESS INTENSE THAN ON MONDAY... HOWEVER EVEN LIGHT FREEZING RAIN WILL RESULT IN DANGEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

A PACIFIC STORM SYSTEM WILL MOVE INTO THE AREA TONIGHT BRINGING ACCUMULATING SNOW TO THE AREA. THE HEAVIEST SNOW WILL OCCUR IN THE MOUNTAINS WHERE A FOOT OR MORE OF SNOW IS EXPECTED. THE FOOTHILLS OF THE BEARTOOTH AND THE BIG HORN MOUNTAINS SHOULD SEE 3 TO 6 INCHES. AREAS FURTHER AWAY FROM THE MOUNTAINS... FROM LIVINGSTON TO BILLINGS TO HARDIN WILL SEE AROUND 3 INCHES OF SNOW TONIGHT.

No Additional Weather Alerts for Cooke City, MT

polarisrider1
01-20-2011, 09:07 PM
20 hrs. till launch.

polarisrider1
01-21-2011, 07:04 PM
On the road again! Got a filming crew in the truck. We are doing 2 videos while at Cooke. Snowtrails TV episode and a video. They like shiny red Poos so I am in luck.

mafia_20
01-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Hmmm shiny red poos well that includes me I guess :) see you guy's in mn in a few hours.

polarisrider1
01-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Hmmm shiny red poos well that includes me I guess :) see you guy's in mn in a few hours.

See ya soon Todd. We got a lot of Doos with wraps in the truck.

jmom800x
01-21-2011, 11:47 PM
Out of Michigan, 6 guys in the extended motor coach and13 sleds on the top deck of the 53ft trailer. Loaded 7 more sleds and 1 guy in South Bend. Just grabbed 3 sleds and 2 bodies in Chicago. Headed north for pick ups in Wisconsin and the twin cities. Then west bound and down, we are truckin' to Cooke City.............updates and pics coming come soon

mafia_20
01-21-2011, 11:55 PM
Jacob what time does rick think you guy's will arrive at Nelson Bros in clearwater, it's about 1 1/2 hrs drive for me to get there.

polarisrider1
01-22-2011, 12:10 AM
Jacob what time does rick think you guy's will arrive at Nelson Bros in clearwater, it's about 1 1/2 hrs drive for me to get there.

We will call you, so you will have time. InChitown right now. Had late start.

mafia_20
01-22-2011, 12:22 AM
ok sounds good , with all that new Hp Rick should have the rig here in a couple hours. :)

jmom800x
01-22-2011, 01:47 AM
more horse power for pulling the hills, not speeding.........sorry, see ya soon though.

six guys in the bunks, four up front. just 2 of us stretching out in the back with lots of room, six bench seats and the captains chair. watching ts9.....sled videos all the way to cooke on two tvs in back.

fgsacts
01-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Have a safe trip guys and post some pics if/when you get a chance. Wayne, we live vicariously through you! Work four days, ride four days, work four days, ride four days.

polarisrider1
01-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Have a safe trip guys and post some pics if/when you get a chance. Wayne, we live vicariously through you! Work four days, ride four days, work four days, ride four days.

Got a great group going out. Rode with most of them on various rides in the past. One young gun with a good back on a yami. 3 on Poos and 12 Summits. And a filming crew for Snowtrails TV. Andy and Cuzz see you at the JDee ride in.

Firecatguy
01-22-2011, 10:04 AM
did ya go thru MN yet? pick me up.....im packin now

polarisrider1
01-22-2011, 10:54 AM
did ya go thru MN yet? pick me up.....im packin now

Sorry Pat, the truck is full. Serious bunch, they have extra motors in crates, spare skids, cases of Amsoil.

Firecatguy
01-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Sorry Pat, the truck is full. Serious bunch, they have extra motors in crates, spare skids, cases of Amsoil.

I was waiting at the end of the driveway....guess i will put sled back in garage...

polarisrider1
01-22-2011, 11:21 AM
I was waiting at the end of the driveway....guess i will put sled back in garage...

Get with olaf, planning Tog. Trip for end of March/april.

polarisrider1
01-23-2011, 09:24 PM
3' of fresh powder today. Many stucks. 1' of fresh tonight. Found some spots that were 9' deep. Filming crew got about 1 hr. Plus of us crazies.

Skylar
01-23-2011, 09:29 PM

Well if they weren't using amsoil, they wouldn't need those extra motors now would they? :p

RevKev
01-23-2011, 09:53 PM
The snow is awesome, over the hood stuff all day, with a nice stuck fest at the tail end of the day. We arrived in Cooke City about 2 am, unloaded all the sleds and gear, crashed until it was time for breakfast, then hit the Pow.

polarisrider1
01-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Well if they weren't using amsoil, they wouldn't need those extra motors now would they? :p

The motors are for the sea and snow guys. Actually we have enough parts and spare sleds for the just in case senerio. 6 days something is bound to break on something. I am starting to see that the serious Mtn. Crowd do not really run a low grade of oil such as S&S. I have not seen it being used at Tog., Snowies or Cooke City. Unless they are rebottling it into Amsoil bottles. This has been my observation and it looks to be correct. I donít care either way. I see revkev can post pics so I will really on him for that. I am just happy I can email home. (No cell towers here) gotta go a guy just hit a buffalo with his car WOW!

doospunk
01-23-2011, 10:43 PM
[QUOTE=Firecatguy;195880]I was waiting at the end of the driveway....guess i will put sled back in garage...[/QUOTE

haha. Bandit on the leash, with a couple of scooby snacks also? He fits in your pack doesn't he Pat?

Firecatguy
01-24-2011, 09:55 AM
[QUOTE=Firecatguy;195880]I was waiting at the end of the driveway....guess i will put sled back in garage...[/QUOTE

haha. Bandit on the leash, with a couple of scooby snacks also? He fits in your pack doesn't he Pat?

he is used to staying home!!!!!!he get soooo mad when the Klim bag comes out.......puts his tennis balls in the bag if i keep it open......found a ball in the bottom when we got to mountain meadow cabins last week.......I better watch out he might get mad enuff to trip me on a walk and break my wrist....ohh wait one min that was last year....mmmmmthat little bugger

techsledder
01-24-2011, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=doospunk;196511]

he is used to staying home!!!!!!he get soooo mad when the Klim bag comes out.......puts his tennis balls in the bag if i keep it open......found a ball in the bottom when we got to mountain meadow cabins last week.......I better watch out he might get mad enuff to trip me on a walk and break my wrist....ohh wait one min that was last year....mmmmmthat little bugger
Pat, bring him with (http://www.baxterboo.com/dogs/carriers_and_totes/zack_and_zoey_front_pet_carrier__blue.cfm?utm_sour ce=Shopzilla&utm_medium=cpc) on the trips! :rolleyes: He may like to RIDE RASMUSSEN STYLE...

Firecatguy
01-24-2011, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=Firecatguy;196646]
Pat, bring him with (http://www.baxterboo.com/dogs/carriers_and_totes/zack_and_zoey_front_pet_carrier__blue.cfm?utm_sour ce=Shopzilla&utm_medium=cpc) on the trips! :rolleyes: He may like to RIDE RASMUSSEN STYLE...

BWAHAHAAHHAA

doospunk
01-24-2011, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE=doospunk;196511]

Or worse yet........., pee in your mellon bucket!!! doh!

polarisrider1
01-25-2011, 12:13 AM
Highly recomend Cooke City! Bluebird skies today. Did more filming with Snowtrails TV. They are doing an. "Off trail" filming. We have 21 riders, 8 of us have been working with the film crew. Tons of fun. Riding "Top of the World" again tomorrow! Everyone runs left hand throttles out here.

RevKev
01-25-2011, 02:00 AM
Highly recomend Cooke City! Bluebird skies today. Did more filming with Snowtrails TV. They are doing an. "Off trail" filming. We have 21 riders, 8 of us have been working with the film crew. Tons of fun. Riding "Top of the World" again tomorrow! Everyone runs left hand throttles out here.

No lefty for me.

Jacob and Me stuck good, and Polarisrider waving Hello to everyone

Firecatguy
01-25-2011, 09:11 AM
cooke a blast....you luck buggers....say hi to Bearclaw and Mrs Bearclaw

polarisrider1
01-25-2011, 10:07 AM
cooke a blast....you luck buggers....say hi to Bearclaw and Mrs Bearclaw

They are taking great care of us. Good food, nice clean warm rooms, they ordered me a new Fly matte blk. Helmet and it came over night. They go all out for their customers! I will be back. Momsmotorsports has done a fine job getting us here and setting it all up. Jacob has been doing a fine job as host.

Firecatguy
01-25-2011, 10:11 AM
They are taking great care of us. Good food, nice clean warm rooms, they ordered me a new Fly matte blk. Helmet and it came over night. They go all out for their customers! I will be back. Momsmotorsports has done a fine job getting us here and setting it all up. Jacob has been doing a fine job as host.

Bob the best guy in sledding

RevKev
01-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Life is great at the Cooke City Super 8, even better at the Bearclaw Bakery.;)

jmom800x
01-25-2011, 10:55 PM
The conditions have been as phenomenal as the meals and hospitality at Bear Claw Bob's and the Super 8. Bob sure is the best host in the business. With services like rentals, heated garage with tools and a wealth of local knowledge.

Ride Report......
on Sunday 1-23 we rode around the burn of area close to town, tons of fresh untracked powder. Yesterday, 1-24 we headed south out of Cooke for a 30 mile ride to top of the world wyoming around the Beartooth Pass with a fresh 8 inches around town. The snow was bumper deep and firming up, we jumped rocks, stumps and had an afternoon stuck fest. Today, 1-25 we dropped Daisy after helping Bob recover an abandoned sled in the bush. The fresh snow from this week is still sitting on top but, the lower layers have settled and are firming up. Avy danger is now down to moderate. Looks like we can climb some big hills if the sun will pop out for us before we leave.

polarisrider1
01-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Life is great at the Cooke City Super 8, even better at the Bearclaw Bakery.;)

We are eating like Kings. Rode out to Bear tooth mtn. Today. Rode with a different group. Deak and the boys welcomed me to ride with them, even when they had to pull me out of the pine trees..lol. :)

attack_06
01-25-2011, 11:55 PM
who won the car or the buffalo what happend to ur helmet

polarisrider1
01-26-2011, 01:20 AM
who won the car or the buffalo what happend to ur helmet

Helmet is fine, got such a sweet deal on the fly helmet from Bob that I had to have it. The kid who hit the buffalo was pretty shook up. He was very concerned for the buffalos well being. He said it was injured. He was calling 911 trying to get a police report for the acident and was hoping someone would look for the buffalo. It happened inside Yellowstone park. On his way to Cooke City to snow board.

RevKev
01-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Another awesome day here in Cooke City, rode in Mostly sunny conditions, had a blast all day, here is some of the days Pics.

jmom800x
01-26-2011, 09:33 PM
more of day 4.......
polarisrider1 in the trees and enjoying being on TOP of Lulu(someone tell his wife, lol).

polarisrider1
01-26-2011, 10:01 PM
more of day 4.......
polarisrider1 in the trees and enjoying being on TOP of Lulu(someone tell his wife, lol).

I was not stuck in pic 2 I was looking at the stuck who were taking pics.lol. another great day. I did get the highest stuck today with 2 RMK Pros to the rescue . Lulu is a mtn. Pass named after one of the ladies of the evening back in the 1800's. Rode Daisy also! (Another pass).

jmom800x
01-26-2011, 10:04 PM
more fun from Cooke City......

willey
01-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Nice shots guys. Looks like to much fun!!!

polarisrider1
01-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Got stuck up on beartooth mtn. Today, had a RMK Pro come to my rescue,thank you Kev. I ran a camera for film crew that was fun. Got to love riding at "Top of the world" just into Wyoming.

Firecatguy
01-27-2011, 08:30 PM
top the work is nice!!!!snow good to get up there?

Skylar
01-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Looks awesome, I need to get back out to Cooke...:(

RevKev
01-27-2011, 09:44 PM
top the work is nice!!!!snow good to get up there?
Snow is awesome, tons of untouched, but things are firming up, with no new snow in 4 days, and lots of blue sky. Here are a few pics from todays venture to Top of the World. Tomorrow we load up, and head back to Michigan. Only 4 weeks till my next venture West with Momsmotorsports.com , Bring on Island Park Idaho.

polarisrider1
01-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Heading home, 6 days of perfect ridng weather. I recomend Cooke City for the super Bowl of mtn. Riding.

polarisrider1
01-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Looking for Marge in Fargo ND.

Milton
01-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Pat.... Cooke city in march????

Firecatguy
01-29-2011, 01:17 PM

maybe...we like to hit Tog in march just got off phone with Red and we are going two more times west....march/april or both in march....going to snow chase!!!LETS DO IT!!!!!

polarisrider1
01-29-2011, 02:44 PM
maybe...we like to hit Tog in march just got off phone with Red and we are going two more times west....march/april or both in march....going to snow chase!!!LETS DO IT!!!!!

How about Island Park march 6th to 13th?

polarisrider1
01-29-2011, 02:47 PM
And Tog. End of March for hill climb week? I'm in.

Firecatguy
01-29-2011, 03:14 PM

Hmmmmmm.....

I hope we do hillclim week but I belive as of march 1st the game plan is go when the snow hits......

Firecatguy
01-29-2011, 04:30 PM

hey u guys book already? call me..................lets talk more

polarisrider1
02-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Some pics from main street Cooke City.

polarisrider1
02-02-2011, 08:06 PM
more pics

polarisrider1
02-02-2011, 08:13 PM
more pictures

polarisrider1
02-02-2011, 08:21 PM
scenery

techsledder
02-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Nice looking trip Wayne! Dang a two Pro pull was needed, eh?!

kamikaze_bros
02-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Polarisrider1,

Was the picture with the Yellowstone sign and Buffalo taken at the North Gate?

polarisrider1
02-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Polarisrider1,

Was the picture with the Yellowstone sign and Buffalo taken at the North Gate?

Yes

indy_500
02-04-2011, 12:48 AM

Indy has some Island Park stickers

kamikaze_bros
02-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Yes

It hasn't changed a bit. I was there in 1995 and so was that buffalo.

polarisrider1
02-04-2011, 03:58 PM

We had buffalo everywhere.

polarisrider1
02-08-2011, 08:49 PM
https://cid-d465078c5be22c20.photos.live.com/play.aspx/Cooke%20City?Bsrc=Photomail&Bpub=SDX.Photos more photos.

polarisrider1
02-14-2011, 12:31 AM

not sure if the same buffalo, lol, but could of been.