PDA

View Full Version : Out West Updates.......WY, MT, ID

jmom800x
02-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Western ride updates.....
JOIN UP FOR A RIDE WITH MOMSMOTORSPORTS.COM. We haul YOU, YOUR SLED and GEAR out west.

Island Park, ID.
West Yellowstone, MT.
Togwotee, WY
Ten Mile, WY
Cooke City, MT

4th Ride of the season, Island Park, Idaho.
Updates on conditions
We made our way out of Michigan and picked up a group of riders from Zimmerman, MN that call themselves Team 10 O'Clock.

After the road trip out with 15 of us in the rig, the fresh powder awaiting us was a warm welcome.
Fresh snow on the first night an morning, again on the evening of day two, and for the better part of the afternoon today. The riding has been great, two sunny days, one overcast and fresh snow each day, what more could you want.

Day 1.
Travis from Island Park Rentals took us out for some playing around lions head. The snow was deep and deceiving. You could climb through the trees well but, there were pockets of soft stuff here and there. Down hill powder turning was tough with sticky snow and a firm layer underneeth that would cause the tail to wash out.

Day 2.
Took the day off from beating on the sled and went to West Yellowstone with Grandpa, and Dad. Lots of well groomed trails lead right into a snowmobile friendly town. The biggest town accessible by snowmobile I have seen out west. They even have an IMAX and McDonalds. The town and trails to the north and south skirt the edge of Yellowstone National Park, making for some great views of untouched pristine winter landscapes. We made the look down from West Yellowstone, MT back into Idaho and to the top to Two Tops for some great panoramic views of the valleys and remarkable tree ghosts on the top of the hill.

Day 3.
Heading east from IP to Black Canyon, the snow was heavy and getting deeper the further east we went. Unfortunately I had to tow the old man in after he scorched a piston. Made for a short day.

Here are a couple of pictures from the adventure so far.....

1.This is Brandon, age 13. Travis' from Island Park Rentals Son.
2.The sun rising, Tetons looking from the West.
3.Enjoying the view over the lake, the trail lead us right to this look out.
4.Snow ghosts on Two Tops.
5.Fresh powder on well taken care of, well marked trails

RevKev
02-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Looks like you guys are having a great time, save some of that Pow for March!! Time for Rick to drop in that 700 in now??:confused:
Keep the Pics and updates coming.

polarisrider1
02-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Looks like you guys are having a great time, save some of that Pow for March!! Time for Rick to drop in that 700 in now??:confused:
Keep the Pics and updates coming.

Kev, looks like we are going to ride together again this year! (if my sled isn't totaled) I have not heard back yet on cost of carnage! Darn Bobcats in the trail.

jmom800x
02-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Day 4.....Island Park, Idaho
The temps dropped overnight to -25 or so. Made for a late start and a cold day on the hill.
We went out today to find some hills to carve up with Team 10 O'clock near Jefferson and Elephant Pass. The snow was kinda wind blown and hard, still with pockets of fresh drifted powder to keep you on your toes while climbing. The views of the valley were breathtaking, or maybe that was the altitude.

Day 5.
Even colder over night. -38 BRRRR. Another late start for the day lead to a scenic ride with Grandpa, and Dad to the Mesa Falls. The trails were well taken care of and well marked as we made our way south to the views of the falls. Sure busting trail and boondocking beats trail riding for the day but, it was nice to take a break and ride with the elders. Grandpa got air, he loves my 800.

jmom800x
02-22-2011, 08:24 PM
This trip out we are staying at Mackenzie Ranch and exploring the other side of Togwotee Pass. What a great year to do so, the snow conditions are great here. This years late season ride to Togwotee should be excellent with this type of base so far this season. Join up, check MomsMotorSports.Com for details.

We picked up a group of guys in Milwaukee and made the drive out through a snowy white out over night as they relaxed in the back of the rig watching movies. Upon arrival, unloaded 20 sleds and let the fun begin.

Here are some picture form our ventures on day one and two.
Day one, mashed potato snow down at this elevation. Kept you on your toes while riding. Tons of bottomless powder in many areas. Over night it firmed up well. Making for some fun poking around in the trees and creek beds. This afternoon the snow started falling heavily, blowing and drifting.

jmom800x
02-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Day 3....
Headed up to Brooks Lake and the Austin peak area.
The snow has a good hero base in the trees at elevation and the fresh that fell yesterday piled on nicely. Made for some fun climbing in the trees.
There will be plenty of playing left in March, lots of base in the hills.

polarisrider1
02-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Jacob, how far south east are you from Lava mtn. Map quest puts you right in Dubois. Can you ride right out of Mackenzie or trailer up to Brooks parking area?

jmom800x
02-24-2011, 12:05 AM
I think it is roughly 8 miles by trail. It is considered Dubios. On a rough snow week/year riding out of here may be tough by our standard. It has been great this season. The group we brought out has been staying here for 10+ years, always in February, hardly any issues of lack of snow. They even timed last season right and made it here on a week of dumping and before the melt. There parking lot at brooks or the Tie Hack parking lot would be accessible.

I will get with you early next week with load up times for Island Park as we shape the schedule.

polarisrider1
02-24-2011, 12:09 AM
I think it is roughly 8 miles by trail. It is considered Dubios. On a rough snow week/year riding out of here may be tough by our standard. It has been great this season. The group we brought out has been staying here for 10+ years, always in February, hardly any issues of lack of snow. They even timed last season right and made it here on a week of dumping and before the melt. There parking lot at brooks or the Tie Hack parking lot would be accessible.

I will get with you early next week with load up times for Island Park as we shape the schedule.

sounds good! see you when you get back.

frnash
02-24-2011, 01:04 PM
I think it is roughly 8 miles by trail. It is considered Dubios [sic].
I am dubious about that... :)

polarisrider1
02-24-2011, 02:54 PM
I am dubious about that... :)

Both the 8 miles and the spelling? Lava Mtn. up to Brooks lake is 8 miles. 3 miles along the road and 5 miles up Brookes Lake Lodges road. But we know what you mean Jacob. Miles are far farther by car than on a sled. It's a smiles vs. miles factor out there frnash. Kinda like a country mile and a city block. Besides it is just over the next hill. lol

jmom800x
02-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Day 4, More boondocking in the creek beds and trees.
The cold weather created some sugary snow conditions in some areas.
The new fluff is resting on top of a crusty layer. Just below the crusty layer is a fine mess of sugar that washes away and collapses like quick sand. It did snow lightly all day long again here in the low area.

Notice the layers of snow in the first picture. I pushed the fluff sideways creating the waves. Then you can see the crusty based up layer that is cut away where the shovel is resting. And then, sugar are under that.

jmom800x
03-21-2011, 08:01 AM
March riding at, what a great year.
I had updates from our ride in early march to Island Park in another thread.
Here are the late March conditions from Togwotee Pass, Wyoming.

Day 1 update.....

Riding Togwotee Pass out of Lava Mountain Lodge. For a late March ride, everything looks awesome. At lower elevation and during the warm up at the beginning of the day everything was mush. A few of the green horns and shorty's got a taste of mountain mashed potatoes in the meadows and creeks early in the day. Then, as we moved up in elevation and the sun tucked away it started to cool off and firm up the snow. We made the climb to the top of Lava and played on some of the windblown cornices and tree wholes. The snow is still great even in the lower meadows and creeks.

jmom800x
03-21-2011, 08:02 AM
more day 1

polarisrider1
03-21-2011, 05:17 PM
more day 1

Looks like it's firming up out there. good old late season Glory snow. Were men are men and boys can be men too! lol. Did the guy who was holding up the truck ever show? Is Mom Mom (your mom) cooking again? All us guys gained weight at IP. Have fun! Did you guys get the "Big house" at Lava? And don't take the shorties to Dry Lake, you will have to retrieve them in spring.

jmom800x
03-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Day 2, was Monday.
Made the climb up to Austin's Peak for an incredible view. Then to the valley below for some playing in the trees.
Firm snow and sunshine made for a great day of climbing and hitting trees :closedeyes: The snow started to roll in as we made our way back to Lava Mountain Lodge.

jmom800x
03-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Day 3, Tuesday.
Lots of fresh fell over night and through out the day today. Pushing 2-2 1/2 ft of powder over the hood most of the afternoon :happydance
Blowing snow made for tough visibility. As we dropped into Brooks, the snow became deeper. Powder over the hood ALL afternoon, no parking up hill, no stopping in the flats. The snow fell all day and night. Looks like we are in for a late season treat. Tomorrows pics should be good.

107renegade
03-25-2011, 10:26 PM
I saw the Rig at TogwoteeMt Lodge today and went to my cabin to grab a drink and by the time I made it back you guys were gone!!:( Are you still sledding in the area? Also where was the deepest snow you found around? We will be here till monday hoping to do some Ski Dooin with you guys

msled
04-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Some sweet snow out here yet!!

RevKev
04-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Some sweet snow out here yet!!

Sure is, Ten Mile Wyoming is where we are at, still coming down:D

jmom800x
04-03-2011, 07:10 PM
I saw the Rig at TogwoteeMt Lodge today and went to my cabin to grab a drink and by the time I made it back you guys were gone!!:( Are you still sledding in the area? Also where was the deepest snow you found around? We will be here till monday hoping to do some Ski Dooin with you guys

We left the area after loading up a few sleds to head home, maybe next time it is always cool to meet fellow forum members.

Spring is here, NOT

We arrived on Saturday afternoon to mid 50's and sun, mud in the drive way. We thought we took a wrong turn and were in the UP. Then in true Snowy mountain fashion, overnight the white gold began to fall.

Day 1...Woke up to about 6-8 inches at the lodge, and it has been snowing all day. It is a dense heavy snow as it is 31 degrees now and still letting loose. Looks like April Fools Part Doo as we wrap up another great season with MomsMotorSports.Com. This trip we hauled out 26 sleds and 16 people in the rig. We have another 14 driving out or flying to meet us.
We are staying at Ten Mile Inn on the snowy side of the snowy's. The accommodations and hospitality are top notch as always. The trail just outside the cabin door and gas just across the street. Also on the mountain is Albany Lodge. They are a full service lodge and have really went out of there way to help us out. They again delivered a rental sled across the mountain for us as well as bringing along a clutch for one rider who's dealer set him up wrong.

well, just one picture for the day.
fresh at the lodge

jmom800x
04-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Late April Teaser Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuEitjda27Y) From Morons On Mountain Sleds.

jmom800x
04-03-2011, 10:12 PM
A few pics from the guys who went out exploring.

techsledder
04-04-2011, 11:19 AM
What elevation is Ten Mile Inn and Albany Lodge at??

Nice pictures... I am soooo jealous right now. Hope you guys are having fun!

RevKev
04-04-2011, 07:40 PM
What elevation is Ten Mile Inn and Albany Lodge at??

Nice pictures... I am soooo jealous right now. Hope you guys are having fun!

Ten Mile Inn is at 8500 feet, Albany is a bit lower, around 7100. Had a awesome day, started out windy and blowing, (nothing new for the Snowys) once we made it around the back side, it was great.

jmom800x
04-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Day 2 was a blowy bust for the first part of the day. Then we headed to the back side and the weather broke for us.

Day 3....the plan was to shred the back side again but on the ride over it looked as if the east side of the range was clear. Was it ever, slightly cloudy but lots of sun and low winds. Most of the east side was wind packed and hard blown drifts as always. After heading through the coaster, we ripped the north ridge of the range on the way back toward the Quealy warming hut. The hut was gone, which we knew after passing the snow cat pulling it down the trail this morning. All in all, another great riding day in April.

jmom800x
04-05-2011, 08:52 PM
more pics

jmom800x
04-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Some more teasers of April snow with MomsMotorSports (http://momsmotorsports.com). Flatlanders, Morons On Mountain Sleds video series.

The Snowy Side Of The Snowy's, Ten Mile Inn - April Video Teaser (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhPPOJP3GOE)

jmom800x
04-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Day 4....
More fresh snow in April? You bet.
Another fresh load of powder fell last night after the small rain mist that lasted for an hour. Fortunately the snow lasted for longer. Woke up with about 6-8 inches of fresh fluff this a.m. at the lodge, and more on the mountain of course.
Took Chucks advice and headed to the north range, quite impressive. There was at least a foot of fresh on an great base. Lots of powder turns, side-hilling and boondocking.

jmom800x
04-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Lots of snow left, great powder shots....a video form Today, April 6th

April Powder Video? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuEitjda27Y) Yep, Check It Out

April Powder Teaser (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umR88Pl_OxU&feature=player_embedded)

92 coupe
04-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Is there one place you would recommend more than another for a newb whose never been west? Hoping to make a trek west with you guys next season just not sure where. Thanks

polarisrider1
04-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Is there one place you would recommend more than another for a newb whose never been west? Hoping to make a trek west with you guys next season just not sure where. Thanks

What you plan on riding out there? What are your expectation? How much experience do you have riding on or off trail?

92 coupe
04-07-2011, 07:35 PM
What you plan on riding out there? What are your expectation? How much experience do you have riding on or off trail?

Have a renx etech8, wasn't decided on what track to put on it yet. I was thinking with a 1.75 I could leave it on for around the midwest or a 2.0 and just swap back after the trip. I guess I really don't have any expectations yet,just itchin to ride in some real powder and try doin some sidehilling, the vids and pics are killin me. I don't have any real offtrail exp. Besides ditches, the problem is no one in my group has the interests as me or they don't have a somewhat capable sled to ride offtrail so I'm kinda the outcast lol.

RevKev
04-07-2011, 09:05 PM

My recommendations would be the Snowy Range, or Togwotee, as both areas have hundreds of miles of groomed trails, endless off trail boondocking, lodges right on the trail (no trailering everyday) as far as your sled, a 1.75 or 2 inter, and no need to switch back and forth, I have rode about 5000 miles with a 2 incher, on and off trail.

RevKev
04-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Pics from today, last day of the season for me, and what a way to top it off, bluebird sky's, and great snow. Thanks to our hosts, Ken and Kimberly from Ten Mile Inn, and Moms Motorsports.

jmom800x
04-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Day Five Highlights - April Riding (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a2q3Pi3UrM&feature=related)

techsledder
04-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Day Five Highlights - April Riding (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a2q3Pi3UrM&feature=related)
Sweet highlights video!

92 coupe
04-09-2011, 04:17 PM

Another deciding factor would probably be MOMS driving routes. Do they drive through IL for any of them or go through the UP? Thanks for the advice from everyone.

polarisrider1
04-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Another deciding factor would probably be MOMS driving routes. Do they drive through IL for any of them or go through the UP? Thanks for the advice from everyone.

Both. Depends on where the bulk of the sledders want to be picked up. They do pick up all along the way. I have been with them when they Start in Reed City, MI. pick me and a few others up in Grand Rapids, MI. then to South Bend Ind. then to St. Paul/ Minneapolis then to some place farther north then to say Cooke City , Island Park or Togwotee. If you get enough guys to go They will do a custom trip for your group also. I am doing that for Sturgis this year with Moms.

winterrules03
04-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Jacob, Rick, Paula, Rob, Kevin, and the rest of the gang,

Thanks so much for a great trip. We had the time of our lives (except for the night we almost spent the night on the mountain.) We are definitely planning to make this same trip next year. My old man already spring ordered the new Free Ride. Whoever the guy was that let him ride that Summit out onto the trail cost my mom $12k, lol!!!

Paula and Rachel, thanks for all the great food and special thanks for the great chili when we got in late that one evening.

Kimberly, thanks for taking care of the wounded hand for me. A nice wrap and a bunch of Advil and I was good as new. Had xrays yesterday and it's broke as you thought.

For anyone that hasn't been out West, you need to GO!! We had all kinds of sleds in our group from Summits, Assaults, Renegades, to a Vector and everyone had a blast. Well, except our "Arctic Cat Guy" the last day. He must have gotten stuck 25 times, LMAO!!! And to answer an earlier questions, we are located in Northern Illinois and Rick picked us up in LaSalle on the way out to the Snowies. It worked out real good.

Can't wait to see you guys next year.

Barry

polarisrider1
04-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Looking good, another one hooked!

RevKev
04-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Jacob, Rick, Paula, Rob, Kevin, and the rest of the gang,

Thanks so much for a great trip. We had the time of our lives (except for the night we almost spent the night on the mountain.) We are definitely planning to make this same trip next year. My old man already spring ordered the new Free Ride. Whoever the guy was that let him ride that Summit out onto the trail cost my mom $12k, lol!!!

Paula and Rachel, thanks for all the great food and special thanks for the great chili when we got in late that one evening.

Kimberly, thanks for taking care of the wounded hand for me. A nice wrap and a bunch of Advil and I was good as new. Had xrays yesterday and it's broke as you thought.

For anyone that hasn't been out West, you need to GO!! We had all kinds of sleds in our group from Summits, Assaults, Renegades, to a Vector and everyone had a blast. Well, except our "Arctic Cat Guy" the last day. He must have gotten stuck 25 times, LMAO!!! And to answer an earlier questions, we are located in Northern Illinois and Rick picked us up in LaSalle on the way out to the Snowies. It worked out real good.

Can't wait to see you guys next year.

Barry
It was a blast, as normal, glad you guys had a good time, and happy everything worked out, in our "rescue mission" have a great off season, and looking forward to next season already. P.S. it was James who let your dad ride his Summit out, so he's to blame LOL