PDA

View Full Version : When does your boating season start?

polarisrider1
02-17-2011, 11:42 PM
Won't be long. 1st week of April. Waxing it is the biggest pain, next to the payments.

mrsrunningbear
02-18-2011, 09:05 AM
as soon as the ice melts, which might not be to far away :) hey Wayne how about some boat pictures?

cuzzinolaf
02-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Won't be long. 1st week of April. Waxing it is the biggest pain, next to the payments.

Boat payments or slip payments? Get the boat detailed.

cuzzinolaf
02-18-2011, 11:18 AM
as soon as the ice melts, which might not be to far away :) hey Wayne how about some boat pictures?

I'm bringing my boat to the UP this summer. It is a fiberglass runabout but I'm sure I can find some decent size lakes to take it out on.

Dave_B
02-18-2011, 11:22 AM

Wayne, why don't you just make payments to someone to wax it for you. Doing it yourself would mean you would actually have to work!

Eagle River Mike
02-18-2011, 11:47 AM
I usually try to have all the summer toys in the water and ready to go the weekend before Memorial day and then everything out the weekend after Labor day. I have kids in school so we can't do any long weekends in late spring and early fall and since its a 6 hour drive to our cabin, all our boating gets done Mermorial day to Labor day.

latebraker
02-18-2011, 12:49 PM

x2 on the waxing

prowrench
02-18-2011, 02:58 PM
I wonder if they'll offer lube at the marina pumps this year?:D

eagle1
02-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Way too early to be thinking boating. cleaning :( waxing:( ugh and I don't even want to think about that first fill up.:mad:

polarisrider1
02-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Boating season is right around the corner. Got a guy to buff out the boat and wax it for me. I have 150 gallons of gas in it so I can at least get to my slip. Lol. Boating season for me is first week of April to Oct. 15.

polarisrider1
02-20-2011, 12:41 AM

got some in my profile pic. area.

eyeman
02-20-2011, 06:42 PM
/
Boating season is right around the corner. Got a guy to buff out the boat and wax it for me. I have 150 gallons of gas in it so I can at least get to my slip. Lol. Boating season for me is first week of April to Oct. 15.

How about sending that guy over to Madison??? Does he work on Bravo III's too? Here here on the April 1 to mid-Oct.

mjkaliszak
02-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Already been posting in a Jet Ski forum, so I guess the answer is soon. Too soon.

mikeh906
02-22-2011, 08:39 AM
I must have missed the end of the season? 24/7/365 here. Have been having fun running some old sled gear and parts on ebay. We are planning our first trip to the Keys this year march 12th-19th. The water warms up alittle this time of year, not like a plunge in lake Superior in october by any means. Gotta wax every 4 months though.

pman
02-22-2011, 04:42 PM
I try to get the piers and the first water-ski in at the beginning of May.

polarisrider1
02-25-2011, 02:02 AM
Guess it starts tomorrow for me. Going to spend next 2 days buffing out and waxing boat and installing a digital tv antenna on it, replacing the analog antenna. Oh boy! Got a guy working off debt helping me who actually has a clue how to go about buffing out a boat so I don't have to train him. looking forward to the fun...................not.

snowfreak56
02-25-2011, 06:29 PM
I tryed last week during the warm up got boat backed down the ramp got sled hooked to boat and got it off trailer alright,took sled and hooked to front of boat headed towards oped water, got about half way hit glare ice sled spun out not enough pics in trak,so i guess ill have to wait for ice out.

MZEMS2
02-26-2011, 08:17 PM
With the 50* temps a while back, I really got the itch. We'll set up shop around the 1st of April and call it a season around Nov 1st. Depends how the fishin is I guess...LOL....Can't wait though.

polarisrider1
02-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Got 3/4's of the boat waxed yesterday with my helper. Lost interest today with all the snow. Switching gears again. Sled is still in shop. looking at putting a flat screen TV in the boat dash not sure if it is legal or even a good idea. I need to fill a hole that an outdated GPS used to sit in. Maybe a weather station would make more sense, or an infared camera for night vision? Maybe just a bunch of tan colored duct tape to cover the hole? I am pretty good with duct tape so I've been told.

trailshredder
02-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Got 3/4's of the boat waxed yesterday with my helper. Lost interest today with all the snow. Switching gears again. Sled is still in shop. looking at putting a flat screen TV in the boat dash not sure if it is legal or even a good idea. I need to fill a hole that an outdated GPS used to sit in. Maybe a weather station would make more sense, or an infared camera for night vision? Maybe just a bunch of tan colored duct tape to cover the hole? I am pretty good with duct tape so I've been told.

Red Green could hook you up with a duct tape fix!! LOL

polarisrider1
02-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Red Green could hook you up with a duct tape fix!! LOL

I bet I could find something around your shop that would work?

polarisrider1
03-04-2011, 12:05 AM
boat is 98% waxed. Had to pack for snowmobile trip so I didn't get it done. Took a break over to the club house and the bartender gal there says. "Hey you look whooped" and I said, "I have been waxing my boat" her reply was, "Oh, so that's what you guys are calling it now". Well I lost most my amber bock draft out my right nostril and I think I pee'd a little. I get no respect.

snow_monkey
03-07-2011, 09:07 PM

I would think Indy would have a sticker big enough to cover it!!

ezra
03-09-2011, 10:42 AM
wish all I had to do was wax need to do the bottom this yr some new Ablative.did have out of the watter in early Sept to get a new flapper thing in exhaust bellows.when it was out buffed out and waxed so I am a bit ahead of the game in that dept just a quick wax and the the dreaded bottom.we will see if I can afford the paint after apr 15th and who else is looking forward to that first fill up urge

polarisrider1
03-09-2011, 11:47 PM
wish all I had to do was wax need to do the bottom this yr some new Ablative.did have out of the watter in early Sept to get a new flapper thing in exhaust bellows.when it was out buffed out and waxed so I am a bit ahead of the game in that dept just a quick wax and the the dreaded bottom.we will see if I can afford the paint after apr 15th and who else is looking forward to that first fill up urge

Bottom paint touch ups every year. Micron paint at$ 240.00 a gallon. Ouch.

ezra
03-10-2011, 10:30 AM
1st yr for this boat with it was a toutch up. also a hand full of blisters to take care of been putting them off for a few yrs making sure it was not going to be a cronic thing before covering with paint and making the job 10x worse.

Polarice
03-10-2011, 04:42 PM
I just use the aluminum boat. No painting needed. Of course, a bigger FG boat would be nicer for big waves.

ezra
03-14-2011, 12:10 AM
makes the war dept happy when she dose not have to use a coffee can as a bathroom.I am now ready for ice to melt

ezra
03-14-2011, 12:19 AM
more summer picks to help with the loss of winter blues
any one see why I need bottom paint lol.

samc
03-14-2011, 10:17 AM
more summer picks to help with the loss of winter blues

That helped

polarisrider1
03-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Soon! after this last ride!

windingtrailgal
03-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Not ready yet...not for ski boat...not for Lk MI boat. :(

polarisrider1
03-24-2011, 01:08 AM
Not ready yet...not for ski boat...not for Lk MI boat. :(

where do you slip the bigger boat?

windingtrailgal
03-24-2011, 01:19 AM
Kenosha WI - the old fisherman's harbor. Big Daddy's uncle is a charter boat capt so we usually pick a slip in the same area. This'll be yr #2 for this spot. His bro used to own a property right on the harbor - free parking was NICE!! ;)

polarisrider1
03-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Kenosha WI - the old fisherman's harbor. Big Daddy's uncle is a charter boat capt so we usually pick a slip in the same area. This'll be yr #2 for this spot. His bro used to own a property right on the harbor - free parking was NICE!! ;)

When I cross the pond I usually stay at Skipper Bud's owned marinas. Or go on the hook.

windingtrailgal
03-25-2011, 02:39 AM
PR1 - I know Skipper Bud's - know there's one in Racine and Winthrop/Winnetka? in IL...

I don't know "Or go on the hook" - I'm gonna guess anchor where you will? Don't know that phrase. (Sorry if I'm a dumba$$...but I am and BigDaddy isn't here for me to ask! :) )

I've always wanted to do more than just our local cruises and deeper fishing ventures...but our boat is a '77 Trojan - has needed some repairs throughout the years...kids that were young so those got put on the back burner. It's all good to go now - so the thoughts are creeping back again about some sort of Lk MI cruise.

Have not been on that side of Lk MI by boat - only on an RV tour we did a few summers ago. Is like a whole nother beast with your depths. Very cool though.

windingtrailgal
03-25-2011, 03:03 AM
BigDaddy - who, really, all questions boat related should be directed to. He had this boat and the Ski Nautique (and snowmobiles!) when I met him over 15 years ago...how was a girl to say no??
If I didn't feel like my snowmobiling season was so darn cheated I'd almost be excited for the boating season again...but I just can't wrap my brain around FOUR measely days of riding! Our fault for thinking that "oh, there'll be more weekends..."
Thanks for the therapy posts about boats...I'll get there soon! Life is so good, right?

polarisrider1
03-25-2011, 10:12 AM
A 77 Trojan was a very popular boat and still is. Most are refered to as a "10 meter", metric for a 33' footer. On the Hook is just that. spending the night on anchor. No ambilical cords connecting you to elec., water or cable TV. Best done in remote area for maximum effect. South Manitou is my favorite, or Wasington Island at North end of Door county, Fayette another nice spot.

windingtrailgal
03-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Well I almost always learn something new everyday.

It's a good boat. Has had to have the engines rebuilt - chevy big blocks. Nice and loud. BigDaddy wishes it was diesel - just like he wishes the motorhome was a diesel pusher.

And those sound like sweet spots to be "on the hook"

wtg

erkoehler
03-25-2011, 11:35 AM
We are starting to get some customers out on the water in N. IL for test drives and people are scheduling the deliveries of their new boats! It's nice to see some activity again :)

www.lauderdalelakesmarina.com

polarisrider1
03-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Well I almost always learn something new everyday.

It's a good boat. Has had to have the engines rebuilt - chevy big blocks. Nice and loud. BigDaddy wishes it was diesel - just like he wishes the motorhome was a diesel pusher.

And those sound like sweet spots to be "on the hook"

wtg

454's with 4 barrel carbs like to slurp the gas.

polarisrider1
04-03-2011, 01:00 AM
Did some begging and boat goes in next weekend. Marina wants it to stay above 35 degree at night. If the water is not froze the boat won't freeze inside. i suspect they don't like me using elec. heat on the boat. The geo thermal heat doesn't work well until water hits 40 degrees. Hope the rest are getting ready for another boating season.

ezra
04-03-2011, 11:10 AM
I still got 15in of ice

polarisrider1
04-03-2011, 01:07 PM
I still got 15in of ice

Wow! we have had open water for a couple weeks already. freezing rain today. thought I was going to ride bike today. Oh well.

Polarice
04-05-2011, 07:58 AM
I still got 15in of ice

Lake Erie marinas are totally open...at least on the Western end. Head over here!

We managed to catch a few walleyes over the weekend.

ezra
04-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Wow! we have had open water for a couple weeks already. freezing rain today. thought I was going to ride bike today. Oh well.

still Ice. getting black but still full cover

polarisrider1
04-09-2011, 10:13 PM
still Ice. getting black but still full cover

Boat goes in Monday. I chewed out the "New" marina management (used car guy). He said, "Hey, I am going to fake it till I make it around here". Not a clue about boats or marinas but sure can smile and wink. Standard Marina management in this neck of the woods. Got the bike out today instead. Made a few changes from last yr. and rode 75 miles today.

eagle1
04-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Sunday we had storms, winds 60 mph. Result, ice still there.:(

Boat is coming out Sunday.

polarisrider1
04-13-2011, 12:06 AM
Boat is in the water. I am sitting on it right now. Heat not working, pump needs to be primed with garden hose. Water not on till the 15th. Got elec. Heat running. Warms up fast in here. Summer has started for me. Oh, and the dog has already thrown up. Sea sick?

windingtrailgal
04-13-2011, 11:10 AM
PR1 - boat going in the water on Thurs morning. Letting the 8 year old play hooky from school so he can watch it get craned in...field trip! He's excited to sleep on the boat on LAND tonight!

mrsrunningbear
04-13-2011, 11:45 AM
The lakes are starting to turn black :) it won't be long!!

polarisrider1
04-13-2011, 08:55 PM
PR1 - boat going in the water on Thurs morning. Letting the 8 year old play hooky from school so he can watch it get craned in...field trip! He's excited to sleep on the boat on LAND tonight!

Sweet! Watching the activities around the marina this time of year is way better than a day at school. (he will actually learn something useful). Tore into the Geothermal heat/cool unit trying to prime pump with no luck, I need the zodiac and a garden hose, to prime you have to force water backwards thru the lines to remove air. Pump does not self prime and it drys out during winter storage. Marina water isn't on until Saturday. And I will be in Chitown working for a couple weeks starting tomorrow. I just had to get it in the water before I left.

windingtrailgal
04-14-2011, 12:43 AM
Some crane malfuncition so boat is going in water on FRI morning...field trip has been post-poned for Thurs nite sleeping on the dry docked boat and Fri morn in the water!! Kid is so excited...parents might be just a little bit too! :)

polarisrider1
04-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Woke up to three inches of snow covering the boat this morning. I must be nuts. Had to drive a 14,000 pound truck with a 7000 pound load to Shorewood first thing, in the snow,cars in the ditches everywhere. Just like summer down here in Illinois. I guess I should review my launch policy for next year.

eagle1
04-19-2011, 08:45 PM
glad I decided to keep boat stored another week. My canvas would be in pieces by now with all this snow.

ibendwire
04-22-2011, 10:10 AM
The ice is finally off our lake. Hopefully it won't be long now. All we need is for some "normal" temperatures.

polarisrider1
04-22-2011, 11:22 PM
I am going to get the heat working Sunday. Spend the day on the boat for Easter.

polarisrider1
04-24-2011, 11:34 PM
I am going to get the heat working Sunday. Spend the day on the boat for Easter.

Heat is working! Even got the cable TV hooked up. Marinas are filling up. Summer is here for some.

ibendwire
04-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Heat is working! Even got the cable TV hooked up. Marinas are filling up. Summer is here for some.

Just curious as to what has to be done to get the heat working on your boat? I have never been on a boat that had heat. Also, why are you hooked up to cable tv? Is it for when you are just at your marina. I would think a satallite tv would be used because then you could watch tv at any marina you stop at.

polarisrider1
04-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Just curious as to what has to be done to get the heat working on your boat? I have never been on a boat that had heat. Also, why are you hooked up to cable tv? Is it for when you are just at your marina. I would think a satallite tv would be used because then you could watch tv at any marina you stop at.

My boat has a geo thermal type heat/air system. The system uses lake water and turns the heat it extracts from it to make heat. To cool it takes the water to cool the boat thru a condenser setup. Well it requires a pump to do this. I store the boat in a indoor heated storage building, the water in the pump evaporates and does not self prime itself. The water intake is directly under the boat and the discharge is on the side so I force water backwards thru the discharge hole (above water line) to prime pump Kforce air out). This happens every few years on many Sea Rays. Headache part is you have to get to the discharge exit with the garden hose somehow, a Zodiac (tender) works well for this.

polarisrider1
04-25-2011, 11:59 PM

Most all Marinas offer free cable tv, if not I got netflix and built in dvd player to power the flat screens. I can run my netflix off my phone if I have signal. Plug Droid 2 into tv jack and movies. I had a satallite but it was a hassle.

ibendwire
04-26-2011, 09:29 AM
PR1-

Thanks for the replies. Very interesting.

polarisrider1
04-26-2011, 10:36 PM
PR1-

Thanks for the replies. Very interesting.

No prob. Just another service I offer. Lol

polarisrider1
05-01-2011, 02:35 AM
Hooked up" direct TV on boat today. RG6 wire is a must. Got digital stations from Milwaukee and Green Bay working. Life is good. Heat is on and boats a float . Plumbed water, strung. 110v at 30 amps, installed fenders, and showed the dogs the new doggie run/potty area. Sampled some of my purchases from Cardinal liquors in Joliet, did I say" life is good". Hope everyone has a great summer!

ezra
05-01-2011, 12:31 PM
I am just trying to get the ambition to get the 55gal drum out and get the dock in boat is still wraped up hard to get fired up when it is 35 and rain .looks like no spring this yr

bearrassler
05-01-2011, 01:57 PM
The ice finally went off our little lake on Friday, but we have 28 degrees, a 40 MPH wind, and about an inch and a half of snow on the ground today. I hope to go out next Sunday (May 8th) to get the docks in the water and maybe look for some Morel Mushrooms, and then get the pontoon in either the 15th or 22nd of May.

polarisrider1
05-01-2011, 05:26 PM
We had our launch breakfast at the VFW this morning. Good turn out, about 60 people showed up. Had a planning meeting right after. Got lots of boating trips planned. Lost some members due to the economy. I hired a pizza vendor to make pizzas at the spring rendezvous in Whitehall, MI. And doing boiled omlets, (a big hit). All moved in the new location here at the Grand Haven Yacht Club. Looks like I am a member in 2 boat clubs now. (If you stand still you get put on a committee ) This location puts me within walking distance of the Eagle Rider motorcycle club that my wife is secretary of and I am a road captain of. I need to bow out of some of this freebie volunteer stuff. We have Dokken, Jackyl, B-52's, Cheap Trick, Dan Folgelberg and several local an national bands scheduled for Eagle Rider and RYC events this summer. All of you are welcome.

ezra
05-01-2011, 06:01 PM
. We have Dokken, Jackyl, B-52's, Cheap Trick, Dan Folgelberg and several local an national bands scheduled for Eagle Rider and RYC events this summer. All of you are welcome.

how dose Dan Fogelberg fit in to that mix?but I guess he is the leader of the band

tomk
05-01-2011, 09:29 PM
does this count, 1st week of march

http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satellite/en_US/Video/winch-sessions-episode-9-021243005989011

polarisrider1
05-01-2011, 09:33 PM
how dose Dan Fogelberg fit in to that mix?but I guess he is the leader of the band

Dan Fogerty, sorry. Great line up. We wanted Hank Jr. And kid Rock. Kid rock wanted my whole$ 100,000 budget. I said, " see ya". Went to planning meeting on summer biker events tonight, amazing what we make on glow sticks and can koosies..

two_tone
05-02-2011, 01:50 PM
We had our launch breakfast at the VFW this morning. Good turn out, about 60 people showed up. Had a planning meeting right after. Got lots of boating trips planned. Lost some members due to the economy. I hired a pizza vendor to make pizzas at the spring rendezvous in Whitehall, MI. And doing boiled omlets, (a big hit). All moved in the new location here at the Grand Haven Yacht Club. Looks like I am a member in 2 boat clubs now. (If you stand still you get put on a committee ) This location puts me within walking distance of the Eagle Rider motorcycle club that my wife is secretary of and I am a road captain of. I need to bow out of some of this freebie volunteer stuff. We have Dokken, Jackyl, B-52's, Cheap Trick, Dan Folgelberg and several local an national bands scheduled for Eagle Rider and RYC events this summer. All of you are welcome.

How many transient slips are available at GHYC?

polarisrider1
05-02-2011, 11:18 PM
How many transient slips are available at GHYC?

Not sure. The municipal marina is right next door, they have about a hundred transient slips. I think we have around five.

ezra
05-14-2011, 09:41 PM
almost time putting dock in sun am boat sun pm still no wake on 90% of lk minnetonka because of highwatter

ezra
05-16-2011, 12:10 AM
dock is in went to farm still to wet to get boat out prob tues

ezra
05-26-2011, 11:31 PM
OK it is in today 5/26/11 and was so cold I had to have all the canvas on to run around

polarisrider1
05-27-2011, 07:50 AM
OK it is in today 5/26/11 and was so cold I had to have all the canvas on to run around

5/27 and 43degrees. First trip of the season. I have my klim jacket on and washing the boat in the slip at sun up. All packed. Got the guys with me, Sailor Jerry, Jack, Lennies, Capt. Morgan and a big guy named Evans. As far as food I have a box of saltens and rolaids. Guy stuff. Heading from Grand Haven to Whithall to do a photo shoot with Lakeland boating magazine on sat. At 1pm. July issue. With interview. How do I get into such things is beyond me.

polarisrider1
05-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Well it went to 69 degrees and blue skies. Only in MI can you see all 4 seasons within a two hour span.

bearrassler
05-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Sent the pontoon out with my Dad last night in the rain. He put it in the lake today, I plan on getting out there on Monday morning.

sledboy1982
05-29-2011, 04:38 PM
what lake do you go to bearrassler?

bearrassler
05-30-2011, 12:24 AM
what lake do you go to bearrassler?

Big Elbow Lake east of Waubun, MN

eagle1
06-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Finally went props wet today!!!!:)

Boat runs great with new plugs and wires. Think I may be able to hit a true 60 mph now. (didn't get the gps out though.)

Water is a way chilly yet, 60 deg. It's also the first time ever we didn't make it out in May.

polarisrider1
06-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Finally went props wet today!!!!:)

Boat runs great with new plugs and wires. Think I may be able to hit a true 60 mph now. (didn't get the gps out though.)

Water is a way chilly yet, 60 deg. It's also the first time ever we didn't make it out in May.

Remember: A bad day of boating is still way better than a good day at work.

polarisrider1
06-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Deal of the summer (or while supplies last) Whiethall Miniciple marina has 89 octane (no ethanol) Valvetec boat gas for $3.60 a gallon (I filled up). In Grand Haven marina gas is 87 to 89 octane regular gas going for around $4.65 a gallon.

ezra
06-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Deal of the summer (or while supplies last) Whiethall Miniciple marina has 89 octane (no ethanol) Valvetec boat gas for $3.60 a gallon (I filled up). In Grand Haven marina gas is 87 to 89 octane regular gas going for around $4.65 a gallon.

that is less than I payed to fill my truck today

polarisrider1
06-03-2011, 02:05 PM
that is less than I payed to fill my truck today

At a marina that was a complete steal. We are hovering around $4.20 for 89 octane with ethanol.

ezra
06-04-2011, 01:17 PM
I pull my boat out to fill 1 or 2 times a yr if I have some free time. when buying on the lake it helps to have a good buzz going to help with the pain of the anal tearing.I will also carry down 10gal if having to go to store before heading out also.I have buds on the river who bought a old army tanker trailer 1000gal i think at auction yrs back for cheep and the last guy to use has to store it. worth it if having to put 400 gal or so in