PDA

View Full Version : Width Rule in Michigan, just the facts...

skipschulz
05-01-2011, 12:26 AM
After being off line for so long I'm trying to get caught up on all the posts.

One thread that keeps re-appearing and some are mis-stating is the Side by Side/Width Rule in Michigan.

While I TOTALLY understand how many people in business want to do as much as they can to bring as many people to our state as possible, I also feel it is important to be honest and up-front with people.

While I do not know the trails below the bridge or even on the far eastern part of the UP, however this is the LAW:

The Baraga Plains ORV Trails are NOT open to anything wider then 50 inches.
Other then the P Trail in the Ottawa NF, all of the trails that are listed on the latest Designated Vehicle Use Map (DVUM) by the Ottawa or are the BROWN lines on the Mi-TRALE Map are NOT open to anything wider then 50 inches.

That's the BAD NEWS...now the GOOD NEWS. Since Mi-TRALE was formed in 2001, WE ONLY planned, developed, and/or maintained trails that would be OPEN TO ALL SIDE BY SIDES. To be honest with you, I made darn sure that if we were going to use our OWN money (MEMBERSHIP MONEY) we would make sure that the trail is OPEN to side by sides. If it wouldn't be...find someone else to do the work.

Mi-TRALE then made darn sure that before PA240 (opening County Roads to OHV's) that every county in our 5 county area had a County Ordinance allowing for Side by Sides on County Roads. We made sure that law stayed in tact with the passing of PA 240.

For those that say..."In the UP no one is enforcing the 50 inch rule," PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not say this or direct people. My gosh, do you know how hard it has been fighting the Anti-OHV people in getting new trails opened in the Ottawa NF? The latest appeal by the anti's was UPHELD because of illegal use of OHV's in the Ottawa.

While you may lose a few people that want to ride illegally right now, we will gain A LOT MORE riders when we can finally show the USFS and the Anti's that Mi-TRALE is doing everything we can to keep people from riding illegally.

Sorry if I offended some of you.

Skip

kraven700
05-01-2011, 02:43 AM
After being off line for so long I'm trying to get caught up on all the posts.

One thread that keeps re-appearing and some are mis-stating is the Side by Side/Width Rule in Michigan.

While I TOTALLY understand how many people in business want to do as much as they can to bring as many people to our state as possible, I also feel it is important to be honest and up-front with people.

While I do not know the trails below the bridge or even on the far eastern part of the UP, however this is the LAW:

The Baraga Plains ORV Trails are NOT open to anything wider then 50 inches.
Other then the P Trail in the Ottawa NF, all of the trails that are listed on the latest Designated Vehicle Use Map (DVUM) by the Ottawa or are the BROWN lines on the Mi-TRALE Map are NOT open to anything wider then 50 inches.

That's the BAD NEWS...now the GOOD NEWS. Since Mi-TRALE was formed in 2001, WE ONLY planned, developed, and/or maintained trails that would be OPEN TO ALL SIDE BY SIDES. To be honest with you, I made darn sure that if we were going to use our OWN money (MEMBERSHIP MONEY) we would make sure that the trail is OPEN to side by sides. If it wouldn't be...find someone else to do the work.

Mi-TRALE then made darn sure that before PA240 (opening County Roads to OHV's) that every county in our 5 county area had a County Ordinance allowing for Side by Sides on County Roads. We made sure that law stayed in tact with the passing of PA 240.

For those that say..."In the UP no one is enforcing the 50 inch rule," PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not say this or direct people. My gosh, do you know how hard it has been fighting the Anti-OHV people in getting new trails opened in the Ottawa NF? The latest appeal by the anti's was UPHELD because of illegal use of OHV's in the Ottawa.

While you may lose a few people that want to ride illegally right now, we will gain A LOT MORE riders when we can finally show the USFS and the Anti's that Mi-TRALE is doing everything we can to keep people from riding illegally.

Sorry if I offended some of you.

Skip

Skip,

Thanks for setting the record straight.

IF you had to guess (and not to hold you to it) when MIGHT one ESTIMATE that most if not all trails Might be open to ALL WIDTH SxS's ???

skipschulz
05-16-2011, 01:13 AM
In the many meetings I have been at with the Mi DNR, Michigan will always have trails that are for Dirt Bikes only, 50 inch and less ATV's, and trails that will be open to Side by Sides.

What the DNR is going through right now is to establish a new trail 'standard' where some trails will be open to Side by Sides, but not open to 4X4 Trucks/Jeeps.

The current policy is that a "Route" is open to any vehicle 72 inche and less. That means to open a trail to Side by Sides, you would have to open it up to 4X4 Trucks/Jeeps. This creates a problem on many trails, especially those managed by the Feds.

Then you have some trails where the Private Landowner does not want it open to Dirt Bikes, but yet allow ATV's and Side by Sides.

Right now Michigan and our DNR is looking at how to identify and 'label' certan trails. This will begin with a new Confidence Marker trail signing program using icons.

However, guess what icon they have not established?

Yep...the fastest growing segment of our sport. Side by Sides.

wags
05-25-2011, 07:29 AM
Ok question, which manufacture builds a UTV/side by side that can legally be used on the WI and MI trail systems???

I'm only asking because I am thinking about starting my research into buying something the wife and I can enjoy together. We are not spring chickens so separate ATV's is out we want something we can ride together without being "doubled" up on.

Thx,
Dan

nytro_rtx
05-25-2011, 09:15 AM
wags, The Polaris RZR's Std. & LE models are both 50 in. wide and legal in both states, I'm not sure on the other models but I'm sure someone will know and reply. You won't regret any SxS you get, they're a blast.
nytro

srt20
05-25-2011, 04:28 PM
I have a 2011 RZR LE 50". IMO its the best of both worlds. I bought some offset wheels and tires, and some wheel spacers for it. I didnt go extreme, but its now 58" wide. If I go to trails that are 50" wide only, I can take off the wheel spacers and put the stock wheels back on it 10 mins. Yes I dont have the fox podium shocks that the high end RZRS LE has, but if and when I want high end shocks, I wouldnt get the Fox shocks anyway. Its alot cheaper to widen out a 50" RZR than it is to narrow down a 60" or wider machine.

Just my opinion on it.

BTW, Ive been trail riding ATVs for a long time. Everything from lightweight 250r to big heavy Sportsmans. The RZR is by FAR the most fun out of all of them. Its not even close.

srt20
05-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Polaris RZR 50"
Polaris RZRS 60"
Polaris XP 64"

Not positive on the CAN AM sxs but I "think" the narrowest machine they have is the 800 Commander at 58". I believe they also have 62" or 64" models.

I know Yamaha and Arctic Cat models are wider also. Not sure exactly how wide, but they arent 50" They Yamaha and AC sxs are more along the lines of working UTVs not trail machines; crappy suspensions for trail riding.

skipschulz
05-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Wags,

While I am not that familiar with Wisconsin laws, I do know that the Wisconsin ATV Association has worked hard in opening up many trails to Side by Sides. That state had a "Pilot" program in different counties that proved to be successfull and what I hear is that Wisconsin will be opening up more trails to Side by Sides...but again, I'm very familiar with Michigan laws, and not Wisconsin.

Then we have the Federal Laws on the US Forests. That is a whole new ballgame. Mi-TRALE is doing all that we can to open up more trails on the Ottawa NF to Side by Sides. This has been a 7+ year process and all I can say is that our organization is not giving up. The one major trail in the Ottawa NF that Mi-TRALE maintains with our membership money is the P Trail, and that IS open to Side by Sides.

On ALL the other trails that Mi-TRALE has developed and maintained, over 300 miles of them, ARE open to Side by Sides. The ONLY trail system in the Western UP (other then the Ottawa NF) that is NOT open to anything wider then 50 inches is the Baraga Sno Drifters maintained Baraga Plains Trail.

For those that ride the Western UP, a Side by Side is a GREAT investment!

Hope this helps you a little in your decision.

Skip

mezz
05-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Polaris RZR 50"
Polaris RZRS 60"
Polaris XP 64"

I know Yamaha and Arctic Cat models are wider also. Not sure exactly how wide, but they arent 50" They Yamaha and AC sxs are more along the lines of working UTVs not trail machines; crappy suspensions for trail riding.

I am not certain, but I think the Yamaha Rhino is 50", Cat I know for a fact is 60". I can only speak from my experience in owning a 2011 Prowler 700 HDX & I can tell you it is not "more on the line of working UTV's" It is capable of both worlds very well. The suspension is by far not crappy of which is an independent suspension front & rear along with a longer wheel base on the HDX than most, which gives an immensely smooth ride not to mention Fox Float shocks in the rear. I previously owned a 2008 Prowler which had a shorter wheel base of which I will admit was a tad on the bumpy side on the trail compared to the 2011 HDX, however, the 2011 is an entirely different ride. Just like a longer tracked sled, smooths out the ride.-Mezz

srt20
05-27-2011, 01:01 AM
Guess I should have put "IMO". Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

2011 Rhino 700 is 56.5" wide according to Yamaha.

Cant drive drive a machine wider than 50" in a National forest. USFS rule.

I dont care what anyone buys, but I would be pissed if I bought a machine, only to find out I cant ride it where I want to.

mezz
05-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Guess I should have put "IMO". Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

2011 Rhino 700 is 56.5" wide according to Yamaha.

Cant drive drive a machine wider than 50" in a National forest. USFS rule.

I dont care what anyone buys, but I would be pissed if I bought a machine, only to find out I cant ride it where I want to.

No problem, my feelings were not hurt in the slightest, I just wanted to state my first hand experience with the ride. I didn't buy it for the USFS trails anyway, I bought it for it's all around use. In our area, the width has not been a concern as far as trail use. I chose what I did for many reasons, including the overall size & versatility. All make good units, it is a matter of a persons desired use.-Mezz

m8man
06-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I just bot a gator 825i. I have noticed the local sheriff dept patroling the trails with the same machine.

ps - it doesn't jump like the m8. It's a bugger to carve also.

oh well, I'll keep trying.

later

m8man

snocrazy
08-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Ok question, which manufacture builds a UTV/side by side that can legally be used on the WI and MI trail systems???

I'm only asking because I am thinking about starting my research into buying something the wife and I can enjoy together. We are not spring chickens so separate ATV's is out we want something we can ride together without being "doubled" up on.

Thx,
Dan

Just picked up a 2008 Can AM Outlander Max 800
Super comfortable with removable back seat with back rest for the woman.

I was considering the side by side but this was a deal I could not refuse. I am happy with it.

Polarice
08-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Just picked up a 2008 Can AM Outlander Max 800
Super comfortable with removable back seat with back rest for the woman.

I was considering the side by side but this was a deal I could not refuse. I am happy with it.

How do you like that thing?

I'll be up the 18th! That day I have Dish Network coming over to see if I can get service and furniture coming over. We should fish!

snocrazy
08-02-2011, 11:06 AM
How do you like that thing?

I'll be up the 18th! That day I have Dish Network coming over to see if I can get service and furniture coming over. We should fish!

tell the dish guy to bring a chainsaw ;)

Polarice
08-02-2011, 03:00 PM
tell the dish guy to bring a chainsaw ;)

I'm going to hope for the best!

local897
08-03-2011, 02:38 PM
http://www.offroad-ed.com/mi/mi_specific_images/pdfs/MI_ORV_HB_law.pdf