PDA

View Full Version : Hyundai Vehicle Opinions

yamahauler
10-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I am wondering if anyone has bought a Hyundai Sonata or any Hyundai for that matter.

Just wondering about quality, good buy, bad buy, warranty if used since they warranty it to 100K and any other pertinent info.

Please no buy American rambling....thanks.

harvest1121
10-13-2009, 10:51 PM
I sold cars for along time. Hyundai does build a good car. The 100k warranty is on the powertrain. Most car companys have that on used certified cars. What most people do not look at is what you can buy it for and when you are going to sell it. But if your going to drive it till the wheels fall off you usually can buy them for less then what a Toyota or Honda is. If your going to sell at 100k I would buy an extended warranty on the toyota or honda for the resale value. But if its for someone else such as a wife you have to make her happy.

ezra
10-13-2009, 11:01 PM
I have a bud whos dad retired and started delivering hearing aids I think what eaver.he bought a used hyundai some mid size 4 door auto.I saw him a few weeks ago and he was driving the car. we talked about it he has over 200k on it sed he has put no more than $600 in it.runs amsoil changes every 15k new filter every 5 or 6k.so I guess yes it is a good car.most of the mi are around the mpls metro.if you buy one plan on driving the wheels off of it because resale sucks.

yamahauler
10-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Does anyone know why the resale sucks so bad on these cars?

kevisip
10-14-2009, 12:06 AM
NO

ezra
10-14-2009, 12:47 AM
because thay are not a toyota or honda you could not give away a 74 celica in 76 but in 1980 it was worth more than when it was new.hyundai on the other hand came out in the late 80's early 90's with some real turds that tarnished the brand but buy the late 90's thay were making reliable cars.fit and finish was still not up to par and priced for it.now it is to late to be branded as a mid to high level car.eaven toyota could not be seen as a high end car with the cressida [sweet car buy the way had one in early 90's]so thay started lexus the first year lexus was the same car as my cresida except logo's

2000sxr700
10-14-2009, 10:33 AM
My truck is built with wrenches not chop stickes! 2004 GMC 3/4 ton extended cab.

jebjk1
10-14-2009, 10:54 AM
2000sxr700: So you prefer your truck to be built with wrenches but your sleds to be built with chop sticks? Hmmm.

By the way, Hyundai builds a few of their models in Montgomery, Alabama and provide jobs to 2,700 people in that city.
http://www.hmmausa.com/

snowangel03
10-14-2009, 10:56 AM
I owned Fords when I first started driving and now its been Chevy for the past 20+ years and I would not buy anything else!!!

Never owned a Toyota, Honda or Hyundai and NEVER will!!!

switch07
10-14-2009, 10:57 AM
My son in college bought a used 06 Sonata about a year ago. It had about 30k on it and he has put about 12k on it since. No problems so far, and he likes the ride and mileage. I have rented a couple Sonatas and thought they were and ok car, good power and ride. Good Luck

beakjones
10-14-2009, 11:39 AM
So... we have two xenophobes thus far. One is honestly comparing a three quarter ton pickup to a sedan? Brilliant!

anyway... I had one friend whose family got a sante fe. The build quality and materials were a bit suspect. Engine got a knock at 70k that they wouldn't fix until it actually seized or quit running. Might have been bad luck as others have said they seem to be reliable enough across the board.

ezra
10-14-2009, 11:57 AM
hay 200sxr my 04 z71 was bult with taco power and I think yours was to the bigest pos I have ever had! I will never ever buy a chev again!I think the santa fa was under powerd at least in 01 when I was test driving small suv for the wife.we ended up with a grand vatara.I do drive cats after all.the motor,s for those were mazda and ford also used them in the escape but the mazda used timing belt insted of chain.proved to be a better set up.did I mention my z71 is a huge POS

ezra
10-14-2009, 12:00 PM
ps sxr how many miles do you have on that rice grinder sx700 show me another sled of that era with over 10 k on it it will prob be another sx700

snopro
10-14-2009, 05:37 PM
I have an 06 Hyundai Sonata with 50K miles! Great car, no problems at all! Rides fantastic, great in the snow, good on gas (25-28mpg) mixed driving! With a 3.3 liter V-6! Test drove a 4 banger but was too slow for me, the 6 is the way to go. Very quick car & would reccomend it highly!

anonomoose
10-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Go buy a used buick lesabre...I get 28 miles in mixed driving, and 31+ on the highway tripping.

Rides nice, and is a cheap car to buy and own.

bill_l
10-15-2009, 09:03 AM
I have a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has the 6 cylinder engine. I was reluctant to buy because of the quality issues on earlier models. It now has 56,000 miles and has been driven in all kinds of weather conditions. I have not had one problem with it. It is the best car I have ever owned. I would buy another Hyundai.

saber
10-15-2009, 10:21 AM
My Dad worked for Hyundai for many years before his passing. When he started there in the early 90"s the cars were low on build quality and refinement but seemed to be OK in reliability.

Since then they have come a long way, I remember taking a Kia Sorrento (same parent co) for a drive and remarking how quiet it was and how nice it drove. It wasn't until I came back he pointed out it was a test mule and had 230k on it not 30k like I thought.

The newer style Tiburon's with the 6cyl and 6 speeds are a real fun car to drive.

He rotated out company cars every 6 months or 25,000 miles and never had any problems with them.

The resale is still low compared to other cars out there but I think thier reputation for years gone by is hurting them.

With all that said and all the choices out there I would still look elsewhere simply due to the resale issue because I flip cars every few years or so. If I did not and I came across a good deal on a car I liked I would go for it.

Something else to think about though is how many Hyundai dealers are there close to home compared to other models?

Hoosier
10-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Seems like they are good cars, but when my money was on the line, I bought a tennessee built Nissan Altima instead. With no options, it was affordable. Resale value has to be considered when buying new cars.

yamahauler
10-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks for all the info.

Yea the resale sucks but I will be paying it off before another is purchased so I'm not that concerned with it(well that is of course if the better half doesn't total this one too). If it lasts without stuffing money into it (unlike my chevy malibu) to make it keep going than that is awesome.

When I have traded cars off, I look at the resale and then subtract off how much I put into it. If it goes negative, then it wasn't a very good car i.m.h.o.

We are looking at a 2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited with the V6. Has 11K miles and they want 18K which is about 1600-2K under bluebook retail. I am thinking about putting on an extended bumper to bumper warranty that covers up to 10yrs/100,000. I think they wanted only 1K for that. Seems like a pretty good deal.

We are also checking out a altima, aura, camry, and accord.

Luckily I have every kind of dealership within 5 miles of my work so no prob there. You could call it the auto strip.

ezra
10-15-2009, 10:58 AM
I know if my war department had a thing for smashing up cars I would get the smart car spent the extended warr on a big life insurance pollicy CHACHHINGGG

2000sxr700
10-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Sorry guys, didnt mean to cause an uproar! Alot of sensitive people on here! Coming from a G.M. town what do you expect me to say. Although G.M. pulled outa here this year, I will remain loyal to GMC and/or Chevy. It takes me to work everyday and back plus I feel safe in it due to its size. That last sentence is gonna start a whole new thread on crash tests I know. Everyday vehicles are alot different than recreational vehicles. I will admit Yamaha snowmobiles are bullet proof and yes my sxr700 does have 10k on it and is still going strong. I also have a '98srx700 with alot less miles (1400) with alot of life left in it. Snowangel- I am with ya brother. keep supporting them! Ezra- I know you post alot on here and I agree with what you say most of the time, but maybe your z71 was a pos because of the way it was treated or built(?)and really the only diff. between your truck and mine is the rear end. So in the end, I am an American and I will continue to buy my everyday transporters with an American name on it. It's a moral thing with me I guess! Ubee- post your beating the dead horse animation will ya? I love that! take care guy's and THINK SNOW!

yamahauler
10-15-2009, 02:16 PM
2000: Either you buy Chevy, Ford.. and support an American CE0 and a foreign factory worker, or you support a foreign CEO and an American factory worker...take your pic. Both suck but what do you do.

I'm sick of rewarding bad management and dumping money into something that I shouldn't be putting it into if it was built with quality.

10-15-2009, 11:58 PM
Well it appears that it had to go off track to a certain degree.
First off I drive a Chevy Avalanche. That is my vehicle.
My wife has an 09 Sonata Limited loaded. We have a good friend that works for Hyundai and the deal could not be beat. My wife's last car was a 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS. It is now my college son's car with about 175,ooo miles on it.

We both like the Hyundai. In the last 4-5 years their quality has sky rocketed. If you want to drive a nice car, try the Genesis. Sweet ride.

The Sonata is not the Avalon though. I will see how the Sonata holds up compared to the Avalon. So far I have no complaints. It is not a car for me. But my wife has no issues with it.

toadster920
10-18-2009, 09:57 PM
I have a 2007 Elantra and LOVE IT. Snappy little 16v inline 4 with a 5 speed. Gas is about 29.5 to 32 all the time. I work 60 iles from work each way and tell you that 30 MPG sold me. The warranty didn't hurt either but that's almost used up. The old, old lady bought her new in August of 2007 then made me pay for it so I'm driving it. Could use some more work witht he crature comforts but if you need a daily driver this is one good car.

L8R
Todd
http://www.johndee.com/discuss/clipart/smile.gif

indyxcr
10-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Had a Hyundai in 1996 good car drove it until 117,000 miles no big problems, but now the 2009 new Santa Fe limited dad bought is a new one drives good but the inside of the new ones are cheap lots of plastic, the quality is gone. I bought a new 2009 Nissan Altima, 35 miles to a gallon, drove the Hyundai sonata, ok but cheap, ok pickup, but resale value on a Hyundai they are a throw away cars, poor trade in, but a good warranty!!!
Dad said this Hyundai Santa Fe is the last one the Transmission doesn't hold up pulling the snowmobile trailer.
Next I'm getting rid of my Ford Explore buying a new Toyota 4 runner, I don't like problems my Ford Explore something is always going wrong with it!
If you don't like problems and like good resale value stick with a Toyota or a Nissan most of the people at work are getting new Toyota trucks and are happy with them.

But if you like a cheap car for work they are good thats what I used mine for resale on it was $750 what I sold it for 6 years later.

yamahauler
10-22-2009, 10:49 AM
indy: that's weird about the Santa Fe interior. The Sonata interior beat Nissan, Toyota, and Honda hands down. We drove them all.

I went with a 09 Hyundai Sonata Limited with 4K miles on it for $18,000. Also got a 6 yr/100K bumper to bumper (yes, it's bumper to bumper) extended warranty. It drove much better than the accord or camry. I still am in shock at how crappy the camry drove and how poorly done the interior was.

Now, we did drive a 2010 Rav 4 Limited, wow is that a nice vehicle. Drove like a dream, great power, tons of room, quiet, very comfortable...but at $31K, kinda pricey. Just wasn't the right time to spend that much but will probly be in the future.

Thanks for all the input guys.

lx700kev
10-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Just curious..Did you test drive the new Ford Fusion? Consider it at all?

98panther
10-22-2009, 11:55 AM
The first Hyundais were real turds. Almost to the level of Yugo. It will take a while to lose that rep.

Inlaws have 2 newer Sonata's are seem to like them, but they don't talk about the much. Another has a Sante fe and hates it, I think mainly cause of rough ride and bad seats at least compared to what he was used too.

I looked at them once, but they wouldn't talk pricing until we went into a closed conference room. Where they video taped the deal discussions. I thought WTH too weird and left. Not sure if that was just that dealership or what, but never looked again.

yamahauler
10-22-2009, 12:25 PM
lx...yea, considered it but on the net, didn't have any comparable 09's and the one dealer I called couldn't even touch an extended warranty like that. Also, didn't hear too many good things on the ride comfort from some friends. I think it was more of a seat issue than the suspension. The 2010 Fusion limited's are just way too much $$ for that car.

Plus, I just wanted to try out an import. Been a GM guy for 4 vehicles in 15 yrs and wanted a change.