Default Northern WI Lakes

Anybody have a status report on the lakes. How much ice? Wondering if they'll be safe by next weekend.

I wouldn't bet on it...ICE NOT SAFE...a buddy of mine was ice fishing on SOO lake near rhinelander sunday...said there was only an 1 1/2 of ice...though some folks have reported 4-5 inches of ice in the bays of the smaller and or shallower lakes..You won't catch me on the ice around here for awhile..but I am chicken...and don't like winter swiming.

Thanks Bryan...I do not live in the area and down here, just do not have many lakes that I pay attention on how long it takes for safe ice.

Question is, in your opinion, the way the weather is now, do you feel that lakes will be safe between Christmas and New Years?

Thanks again and always look for you posts thru out the year.

Quote Originally Posted by skidoodoug View Post
    Thanks Bryan...I do not live in the area and down here, just do not have many lakes that I pay attention on how long it takes for safe ice.

Question is, in your opinion, the way the weather is now, do you feel that lakes will be safe between Christmas and New Years?

Thanks again and always look for you posts thru out the year.
    Doug...as long as it doesn't get drastically warm between now and then...the lakes should be fine...I would bet some maybe good to go by this weekend, and if it stays cold...even a chicken like me would cross them by xmas.

Careful Bryan. Better to say we don't know..... lots of insulation out there now & not a lot of ice. 3 Lakes WI just called me. Stuck pick right thru ice only 1 inch of ice where trail goes thru. Lakes are not safe stay off until you see them marked. We need -20-30F to make good ice & just not in forecast for now. Lakes are very late not like other years. Be very careful.

The less people that run the lakes now will help them be smooth for the months to come.