Default 2006 Polaris Switchback 600 HO

I'm having issues when I throttle it up from a dead stop that here is hesitation and then it kicks in. It does this when its cold or warmed up. It almost sputters, then kicks in. If I'm doing like 10MPH and nail it then it goes right away. It seem to do this more from a dead stop.

Is this a tuning thing? Or could it be a worn belt or clutch issue? TIA

Make sure the idle is set properly, try richening or leaning the fuel screw and see if it helps. Sounds like a fuel supply issue.

Default rmk 600

I have a 2006 600 rmk HO and it is doing the same thing, I was told by the Polaris dealer to turn in the fuel adjustment screw 1/2 turn at a time, that it adjust the low end fuel and should help. I just got back from a trip and will adjust tomorrow. The problem is you need to pull the air box to get to it. Hopefully it helps. While I was on the trip I raised the idle to about 3000 rpm and it helped for the short term.

Sounds like the safety switch on the throttle. Look and see if there is a little play in the throttle lever if so adjust the cable so it doesn't have any and that should fix it. I have had same issue with mine before and read in the service manual what the cause was and how to fix it. Kinda weird but guess it keeps sled from starting if throttle is stuck wide open.

Remove your belt and check it, make sure all the lugs are worn evenly, no low spots or a couple lugs worn down more than the others, unevenly worn lugs on a belt will cause all kinds of running issues

Thanks for the input. I will look into the suggestions given and let you know what I find out.

Go look for all of the Fusion 600 threads in this site. All of the adjustments you need to make are recorded in those treads. Same motor, same problem. You need to change the mains, and a couple other things to get rid of the hesitation. Polaris set up the sled to start easy, which leads to loading up at idle, which leads to the hesitation until it gets rid of the extra gas. It's fixable, and has nothing to do with anything but the carb set up.

I guess I'm wondering why I never had this problem before. Always ran great. Had clutch issues, which were just fixed and they replaced spark plugs. Now I have this hesitation. If it was the carb issue needing different jets and adjustment shouldn't I have had this problem all along?

You could have a blockage in the pilot jets, a little bad fuel or some junk in the tank could have been disloged and made it to the carb. Just some more ideas...

My 600 did exact same thing swore it was carb issue as you stated it only does it from a dead stop and not after you had the throttle past the safety switch. The safety switch is activated due to play in the cable . I have seen guys rip carbs apart a dozen times scratching their heads and never look at the cable . The sled will stall and then take off just like a low end carb issue but its just a cable that gets streached out and needs adjusted a little.

Quote Originally Posted by govnr View Post
    My 600 did exact same thing swore it was carb issue as you stated it only does it from a dead stop and not after you had the throttle past the safety switch. The safety switch is activated due to play in the cable . I have seen guys rip carbs apart a dozen times scratching their heads and never look at the cable . The sled will stall and then take off just like a low end carb issue but its just a cable that gets streached out and needs adjusted a little.
    Anybody know how to check for this? And/or how to adjust the cable. The owners manual gives no details. It looks like there could be some play in the cable. Also, when I release the throttle it does not seem to pull back completely tight. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Quote Originally Posted by rmk_06 View Post
    I have a 2006 600 rmk HO and it is doing the same thing, I was told by the Polaris dealer to turn in the fuel adjustment screw 1/2 turn at a time, that it adjust the low end fuel and should help. I just got back from a trip and will adjust tomorrow. The problem is you need to pull the air box to get to it. Hopefully it helps. While I was on the trip I raised the idle to about 3000 rpm and it helped for the short term.
    rmk_06, Did you try this yet? Did it work if you did?

Snowdance there should be an adjustment nut on the cable where it connects down at the carbs just adjust it to take out all the slop.

OK, so after not being able to diagnose myself I took my snowmobile to the shop. $500 later and it still is not fixed :-(

They replaced the belt, took apart and cleaned the clutch's. Checked the throttle safety switch. Took apart the carbs and cleaned them, said there was dirt in the bowls, replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the jets, cleaned the exhaust valves. After all this, took it North and still has about a 2 second stutter/missing (Not a bog) on take off from a dead stop. Keep in mind it ran fine the last 2 seasons. Now its doing this. I'll be taking it back in to the shop. The tech is shaking his head. He was going to test the Stator and try some other things. Any other ideas?

What about water in the fuel? I am sure you have ran a few tanks through it, was there right after the repair or did it show up later in the day. I have had water do in the fuel do really strange things before.
    Thats at least an easy to try fix drain all the fuel and refill I would also drain the bowls all easy things you can do on your own. That water just rolls around on the bottom of the tank and gets suck up every so often.

I use Sea Foam and the tech thought of that also. He thought he saw some water in the carb bowls. drained the fuel and put fresh in.

This is a well documented problem here on this site with Polaris 600s.

The "correct" carb settings are here. Do that and balance your clutch weights.

Sorry to hear you spent $500 to fix this when the answers were here the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by wisangler View Post
    This is a well documented problem here on this site with Polaris 600s.

The "correct" carb settings are here. Do that and balance your clutch weights.

Sorry to hear you spent $500 to fix this when the answers were here the whole time.
    OK so why have I never had this problem the last 2 seasons if it is a carb setting? Is this the thread with the carb setting your talking about?

http://www.johndee.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13287

Because stuff wears out. When parts are newer and "tighter", the tolerances are tight enough to work. One nick in a clutch weight or a wore out rocker hole and the problem shows up.

That's one of the threads. When your symptoms are exactly like what others have explained and fixed, it's hard not to think that would have fixed your problems as well if you didn't try the same solution.

Plus, I'd be surprised if a shop told you it was fixed without testing it themselves or gave it back to you knowing it still didn't work right.

All those things you explained that they did is them hunting for the problem.

They should have tested it and it should have worked for them to charge you and give it back to you. They might have ran it on a stand but that is no where near a true test because they are only testing the motor without a load. You take it up north where it is not the same temperature and/or elevation and the problem is back.

Here's what I would do:

Find out how they tested it to make sure it was OK when it left the shop. Grill them. They charged you.

Polaris is known for making motors just lean enough to run right. That's mostly the reason why they are having problems with motors now with all the EPA regulations out there. This is also why a shop won't start messing with carb settings outside of factory specs. They don't want to be held liable if it burns down.

Default Update...Bad News!

Found out the problem today. Bad crankshaft seal. Engine needs to come out to replace. Up to 7 hours labor... :-(

That stinks on a 2006. Are they going to offer you a deal after all the unnecessary work they did the 1st time for $500?