Default Best fish fry in or around Minocqua

Looking for a place to have a fish fry tomorrow evening. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, does Musky Jacks have good food? I forgot if he was just the entertainment or if there was good burgers to be had too?

Thanks! Harski

Last edited by billandsandie; 01-28-2010 at 08:46 AM.

Musky Shores the blackened Walleye is unbelievable. Hwy 70 west of Minocqua to Squirrell Lake rd. right at the (Y) Schroeder rd. Its on the lake easy to snowmobile to. Fun bar and resort.

Best fish fry hands down in the Minocqua area is Four Seasons Supper Club on Big Arbor Vitae Lake. Directions: 51 N to Hwy 70 W to Big Arbor Vitae Drive, left on Marshview and left on Big Arbor Vitae Drive; 10338 Big Arbor Vitae Drive Arbor Vitae, WI 54568 715-356-5095. Get there early as the fish and location are great!

Popes Gresham Lodge was really really good 10 years ago. Havent been back since, but it musta been damn good if I still remember it.

X2 on The 4 Seasons on Big Arbor Vitae. This place has excellent food!!!!!!!

My two favorite spots for fish are:

Scoobies, just south of Sayner on Hwy 155, all you can eat cod, fried chicken, potato pancakes, real maple syrup.

Sisters Saloon, between St. Germain and Woodruff on Hwy 70. Pan fried Walleye melts in your mouth. Get there early, or you can be waiting a long time.

Both places accessible by trail.

I appreciate the suggestions everyone! This gives me options in every direction for the evening.

Thanks again and keep the shiny side up!

Harski

Quote Originally Posted by cod8 View Post
    My two favorite spots for fish are:

Scoobies, just south of Sayner on Hwy 155, all you can eat cod, fried chicken, potato pancakes, real maple syrup.

Sisters Saloon, between St. Germain and Woodruff on Hwy 70. Pan fried Walleye melts in your mouth. Get there early, or you can be waiting a long time.

Both places accessible by trail.
    Is Sisters right by the Whitetail Lodge? If so, that place was very good. If not, the place that is by the Whitetail hotel is good. lol

Blinkin Bonnies is by the Whitetail lodge isn't it? They have awesome steaks too.

Sisters is just a little further east on 70 of the Whitetail Inn. Blink Bonnies and 19th Hole are right near the Whitetail Inn/Hotel (intersection of Hwy 70 and County C). BTW, Whitetail has a great Sunday brunch.

cod8, thats the place I was thinking of. Took my wife there a few years back and sat under the deer head that moves and talks. She didn't know what to think at first.

Fibbers on Big St Germain Lk .... THE best lake perch, and clam chowder....
    Stillwaters in Star Lake .....all you can eat cod, and Sicilian style walleye.... excellent

The Rusty Putter has a very good Friday fish fry. We went there last winter and it was crowded. It is on Hwy 70 on the golf course west of Wal-Mart - the trail goes right to it. Last year we rode the sleds there, but not sure how the trails would be now since they snake around the back of Wal-Mart, etc going west.

Good food and worth a try!

Thanks again for the further tips!

Mustard, thanks for the tip around Wally World as I was thinking of heading out on trail 10 Saturday morning to head west. I may now just head down the Bearskin and not take the chance on pavement grinding! Hey, are you on an XP by now? I finally bit the bullet and bought one last year (NIB '08 XP ADR 800). I have to say coming off of an 600 this thing can really move out! Love the power and the ride!

Harski

Cod8, Does Scoobies still do the fish fry?

Just a thought if you get farther west The Flame in LDF has a vetry good fish fry 8.95 with the fry bread been to all the above and they are all good cant go wrong there.

Luvthetrails,

Yes, Scoobies has a Friday fish fry w/chicken, all you can eat. At least the last time I was there a few weeks ago. If my memory is correct, I think they have a fish fry every night of the week they are open, but, don't quote me on that...

X3 on Four Seasons..excellent fish fry! Trust me, I've tried em all!

Quote Originally Posted by mustardbucket2 View Post
    The Rusty Putter has a very good Friday fish fry. We went there last winter and it was crowded. It is on Hwy 70 on the golf course west of Wal-Mart - the trail goes right to it. Last year we rode the sleds there, but not sure how the trails would be now since they snake around the back of Wal-Mart, etc going west.

Good food and worth a try!
    Last I herd, the owners are moving on this spring and he (Wess) is the main man in the kitchen...an excellent cook. They are looking for a new place in the area though.

Harski,

Not on XP's yet - have 06 and 07 Revs with the 600 SDI. Maybe move to XP in a year or two, depending on the deals available. Bought both of our current sleds new as model year leftovers with big $$ discounts and would do the same again.

Laketom2,

Sorry to hear about the Rusty Putter; we'll have to try and get there before winter is over. Another good place for fish is Smiley's Pub in downtown Lake Tomahawk; the fish sandwich or fish fry is excellent and Troy and Lori are great people.

If you haven't had the sicilian walleye at Stillwaters you should.

Quote Originally Posted by billandsandie View Post
    Musky Shores the blackened Walleye is unbelievable. Hwy 70 west of Minocqua to Squirrell Lake rd. right at the (Y) Schroeder rd. Its on the lake easy to snowmobile to. Fun bar and resort.
    Had the blackened walley last week for the first time. The best I ever had. Love stopping by to see Mike and Terrin. It really is a fun place, good food too.

Ended up going to Four Seasons in which the fish was very good! Next time it will be Musky Shores! I can say that the Four Seasons make a stiff drink too! (no I wasn't on a sled!).

Thanks for all the suggestions again!

Harski

Liv2ride,
    Next time your at Musky Shores tell Mike you saw them on the J.D.
    web site. I have a cabin on the lake so I go there a lot the place is a ball winter or summer.
    Bill

billandsandie
    I have a place just to the south on Swamsauger lake so we are there quite a bit also. I probably played dice with you at one time on the pool table. I'm hoping to get up there in the next week or 2.

Dumb question but it's been a few years since I've been to Squirrel Lake... Is Musky Shores the old Laurel and Hardys?

Quote Originally Posted by harski View Post
    I can say that the Four Seasons make a stiff drink too! (no I wasn't on a sled!).

Thanks for all the suggestions again!

Harski

'Cause a cocktail before operating a 500# sled is WAAAY more dangerous than operating a 4000# car (Insert sarcasm here...) . Don't defend yourself for your actions harski....It sucks that you even have to say that. People need to lighten up and mind their own business. PERIOD!

Glad you had a great meal and a tough cocktail.

-J-

Quote Originally Posted by racerx_96 View Post
    Dumb question but it's been a few years since I've been to Squirrel Lake... Is Musky Shores the old Laurel and Hardys?
    I've been going to Musky shores for over 18 years so unless it's more than 18 years, you must be thinking of a different place.

It might be more than 18 years (but I'm really not that old)....
    I know it was well before Doc's Place closed...
    Last edited by racerx_96; 02-02-2010 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Additional comment

Propjockey,

I know what you're saying. My opinion is that there could be equally as many people driving vehicles in everyday life either under the influence of drugs/alcohol, poor health conditions, texting, talking with passengers, getting after the kids, bad day at work, the elderly with slow reaction times, etc...as there are of "influenced" sledders on the trail. So, when it's our time it's our time! If someone is that afraid to be around "influenced" drivers on sleds they should consider what's going on around them in vehicles! I would suggest that they just stay home the rest of their life or buy a tank to get around on the road and trail!

(THUMP) I'm off my soapbox now!

Harski

RacerX,
    Musky Shores was the old Laurel & Hardys 2 owners ago.

Live2ride whats your name I probably know you.This summer will be my 19th. year on Squirrell Lake. I may be there this weekend but I just came back Sunday the cost of gas is starting to kill me $150. round trip in the truck alone.

Popes Gresham Lodge(stop #1) has AYCE on Wednsday and Fridays for about $14.00 you get a family style dinner of Alaskan Pollock with slaw, fries, beans and tater salad also a chicken or shrimp dinner avail. after 5

Quote Originally Posted by mtb1115 View Post
    Popes Gresham Lodge(stop #1) has AYCE on Wednsday and Fridays for about $14.00 you get a family style dinner of Alaskan Pollock with slaw, fries, beans and tater salad also a chicken or shrimp dinner avail. after 5

You aren't supposed to tell people about the Weds. night fish fry......that is when the locals go. Now it is going to be busy...HAHAHAHA.

1. Popes (FYI they only take cash-NO CREDIT CARDS)
    2. Yacht Club (south of the bridge on 51)
    3. Murtaugh's (downtown Minocqua-two minute walk from the Bearskin parking area)