Thread: grooming equip

Default grooming equip

Our club is starting to think about a new groomer, we presently have a Tucker and a 5130 Case, the Tucker is what will be replaced, but everything is so expensive today, that we are confused which way to go. The tractor works very well and is low maintaince but can not be used all the time. Any suggestions? Money is always a factor.
    north central wis

I will be curious to see the responses on this as well. Our club is in about the same situation as yours except all we have is the 1995 Tucker and looking to upgrade. We are debating on another track groomer or a tractor. High maintenance on the Tucker. My concern with the tractor is non-flat areas. How do the tractors perform on ditch lines and hills? You can email me at my address on our web site. I am the VP of the club and my email address is in the Officers Tab.

Gary

www.RomeSnoBandits.com

Default grooming equip

Our 5130 Case works very well, we have chains on the front and rear tires and there is really no place it will not climb, only problem is real deep snow and of course opening the trails in fall thru swamps before a deep freeze.

My biggest concern is we groom about 15 miles of ditch line and how it would perform in those conditions with driveways and all. I think it would be ok once we have established the trail in the ditch line, however I'm not sure about the soft conditions until it is set. Does the Case move through that ok? Do you have a blade on the front of it? We do not have any swampy areas to worry about. We have a few narrow areas through the woods however.

Gary

www.RomeSnoBandits.com

Keep the Tucker for the few times the snow is too deep for the tractor. The tractor with chains all around would get you through most condition. There is not a blade on the tractor mentioned above. There is a hydraulic winch on the front, chains all around, 30.5 tires on the rear, and pulls a 9'6' drag. When tractors first came out for grooming many clubs tried them, but few stayed with it because they don't do it all. When we first got ours about 15 years ago we had studs the rear. They just tore out and were not all that great anyway. The chains make a world of difference on the rear. We are located in central Marathon County, Edgar area.

We use a BR180 because we have mostly ditches now but I dont even look at the tractor when I go groom . I would like to get a trail bully next time

gjg1971

go to soucy.com and look at there videos on grooming, pretty impressive to me. I looked at that machine last week when we were in Superior, I would sure like to demo that system sometime.

I've seen the video before. Looks impressive.

Default Tucker

I know that my club is looking to upgrade our tucker. I think it is either a 2005 or 2007. I can't remember off the top of my head. If you go to my county's webside you should be able to see some pictures of it. I think it needs 3 new tracks but for the price we were thinking of just trading it in and buying a new one. Here is the link to our website. http://www.monroetrails.com/ If you would like a phone number to call to get more information this please let me know.

We purchased a John Deer Tractor this year. We will see how well it performs on our terrain. I know what you mean about price. I think eveyone would like to stay with a Tucker (Tracked) style groomer but it is very difficult for a club to raise enough money for equipment like that.

Sno Bandit Gary

If you have not already purchased chains for your tractor front and rear I would highly recommend it after we did this on our case 5130 we were totally amazed with the difference. MONEY WELL SPENT

Quote Originally Posted by sledneck22 View Post
    I know that my club is looking to upgrade our tucker. I think it is either a 2005 or 2007. I can't remember off the top of my head. If you go to my county's webside you should be able to see some pictures of it. I think it needs 3 new tracks but for the price we were thinking of just trading it in and buying a new one. Here is the link to our website. http://www.monroetrails.com/ If you would like a phone number to call to get more information this please let me know.
    Are those rubber tracks on your Tucker and are they pulling apart? If so we had that problem on our 2002 Tucker 2000 and we were delivered new tracks at no cost. Just FYI if you weren't aware of the problems Camoplast had with the rubber Tucker tracks.

I could write a book about this topic....so I'll try not to ramble.

#1 - if anybody says that their wheeled tractor doesn't/won't get stuck in a drifted ditch or fence line hasn't been in one long enough to find out that it does and will get stuck. Just a matter of time. Chains or no chains. Ask me how I know this. LOL!!

#2 - A Tucker will get stuck too, but this typically happens in the most extreme of conditions. Like trying to pull a drag thru 5'+ drifts. Ask me how I know this. LOL!!

#3. If you can only afford one groomer, get anything with tracks....Tucker...Trail Bulley....etc. This way you'll never have to worry about going thru swamps and other lowland areas. And if a trail is heavily drifted, unhook the drag and run the Tucker thru it a bunch of time.

4. A Tucker is my personal favorite for all around grooming. BUT it must be a 2006 or newer. Better idlers and tracks. EASY to drive. Will climb most any hill and again, you can go thru swamps and drifted areas. If you can't afford to buy new, buy a used one.

5. If all you have to groom is railroad grades and/or trails that are wide(r) and meander thru forest lanes without any extreme hills, then a tractor is the way to go. Get the biggest tires you can and chains all around.

6. This brings me to a Soucy track equipped tractor. We moved to an area where the local club has a 2 yr old New Holland TS135 tractor with Soucy tracks pulling a beast that is a Sno Plane drag. I am DAMN impressed with this rig!

Plenty of power, drives and steers like a dream and with an air ride CAB (seat too) offers the most comfortable, "won't wear ME out" grooming experience I've ever had the pleasure to drive. Think of it as a Tucker on steroids. Climbs hills and goes thru the deep stuff.

We had a 17" of snowfall 2 weeks ago, and we went out with just our 3 pt mounted packer pan to pave the way thru (Sno Plane just too big to pull inthis much snow). We busted down BIG drifts without any worries. Nover got stuck. You can pull off the tracks for spring/summer/fall tractor use.

Local club just picked up their Trail Bulley and from what I hear they are very very happy. Have heard the same from other TB owners too. I'm going to try to get some seat time in it soon.

Just my .02 guys....after 25 years of grooming trails.

I have heard many good things about the Soucy tracks. I was wondering how they do in the swamps and ice crossings the first time out. Seeing that they have the weight of a tractor, do the tracks really lessen the psi that much that it will not break through the ice or swamps. Will it compare to a Tucker as far ground psi goes.

In a few years I can see our club looking to replace our Tucker. We have a tractor now. Do you think we could go with the Soucy tracks on another tractor, or need to stay with a Tucker type groomer. We would not be getting rid of the tractor we have now.

groomerdriver:::: I could not have said it better, thanks for taking the time to explain it that well.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by jr37 View Post
    I have heard many good things about the Soucy tracks. I was wondering how they do in the swamps and ice crossings the first time out. Seeing that they have the weight of a tractor, do the tracks really lessen the psi that much that it will not break through the ice or swamps. Will it compare to a Tucker as far ground psi goes.

In a few years I can see our club looking to replace our Tucker. We have a tractor now. Do you think we could go with the Soucy tracks on another tractor, or need to stay with a Tucker type groomer. We would not be getting rid of the tractor we have now.
    A Soucy equipped tractor could/should have more ground psi than a Tucker does only because the total weight of the rig is higher....but not by much. Our tractor with wheels weighs ~11,800 lbs plus the weight of the Soucy tracks. Don't know what the weight of the Soucy's are but they aren't light. A Tucker's weight varies between 11,000 - 15,000 lbs depending on the configuration and their claimed psi is in the .95 or lower area depending on the configuration of the unit. The Trail Bulley weighs 12,800 lbs and could have less psi, but I personally think you're splitting hairs between any 2 track groomer and a Tucker as far as "real world" ground psi goes.

As to your question on Soucy's ability to navigate swamps and ice crossings. I have seen all types of machines get buried...it is all dependent on the conditions. However, you have a far less likely hood of burying any tracked machine than a wheeled tractor...period (IMO).

I'm 95% sure you can get Soucy's for any tractor. There may be a minimum HP restriction but I am not sure about that. In a tractor, all I want for power is the largest HP 6 cyl turbo that I can get that makes a ton of torque in the 1700 - 2000 RPM range. Green, red or blue...take your pick...I'm really not partial. BUT if I had to buy one for myself...it might be green.

Do you get the sense I like to groom trails??!!! LOL!!!
    Last edited by groomerdriver; 12-30-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgchf View Post
    groomerdriver:::: I could not have said it better, thanks for taking the time to explain it that well.

Bill
    No problem Bill. Everybody has their own opinions...just like with sleds...and trucks...and <insert here>. LOL!!!

I'm just trying to help.

We have been looking at a kubota M126 for our next purchase because of the big floation tires on front and tracks in the back , Oh the the price is very good on it also . Will not be letting go of the BR180 thou

Quote Originally Posted by skidont View Post
    We have been looking at a kubota M126 for our next purchase because of the big floation tires on front and tracks in the back , Oh the the price is very good on it also . Will not be letting go of the BR180 thou
    Let me know how the Kubota works out, it appears a little small, so any future info would be nice, we pull a full 10ft drag 20 feet long, what size drag are you going to pull? Do you have a lot of hills etc,

I have heard that Kubota is a good, affordable tractor. I have also heard that the company is not very good about standing behind their product if you have trouble. Just something to look into before purchase. What I heard may be B.S. from a disgruntal buyer, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by skidont View Post
    When our New Holland w/Soucy's tractor went in for warranty work, the ag dealer was going to give us one of those Kubotas to try out. Unfortunately they sold it and we ended up with a regular wheeled tractor. Dang!!!!

The Kubota comes with a 4cyl 105 (?) hp motor. I for one like 6 cyl turbo motors in tractors mainly for longevitys sake. You can get 4 cyl engines that develop 125 hp just like the 6 cyl does, but to me, a 6 cyl engine won't be working as hard to develop the hp and torque. However, I would defer to a farmer who runs tractors for a living.

Default Kubota

Ok,

I've groomed with the Kubota 126. First---it is a 126hp tractor, (105hp at the pto shaft). It worked great, the one we tryed had 1000lbs of weight on the front plus chains. I ran it Dec 15th for 10 hours straight in Dale. We are using a Case Ih-125, which works good but when you get into deep snow you really have to work to get it through it, and when it's wet you better be careful or it WILL sink. Back to the Kubota 126, there were times where it was drifted the I could not even see the front wheels and it kept going, and it has really good power and priced right. One thing nice is when you turn say to the right and it is a sharp turn you don't have to use the brakes to turn the tractor has a system that the left tire will spin faster then the right. (it really worked good). We demo'd one from Service Motors, in Dale, Wi. It is sitting there right now. If you are thinking about buying one call them and I'm pretty sure they will let you try it. I think it's priced somewhere between 60 and 70. If you have any other questions just ask i'll try and answer them.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
    Ok,

I've groomed with the Kubota 126. First---it is a 126hp tractor, (105hp at the pto shaft). It worked great, the one we tryed had 1000lbs of weight on the front plus chains. I ran it Dec 15th for 10 hours straight in Dale. We are using a Case Ih-125, which works good but when you get into deep snow you really have to work to get it through it, and when it's wet you better be careful or it WILL sink. Back to the Kubota 126, there were times where it was drifted the I could not even see the front wheels and it kept going, and it has really good power and priced right. One thing nice is when you turn say to the right and it is a sharp turn you don't have to use the brakes to turn the tractor has a system that the left tire will spin faster then the right. (it really worked good). We demo'd one from Service Motors, in Dale, Wi. It is sitting there right now. If you are thinking about buying one call them and I'm pretty sure they will let you try it. I think it's priced somewhere between 60 and 70. If you have any other questions just ask i'll try and answer them.
    Good review and thanks for the clarification on the hp.
    How would you rate the ride quality?
    Did it have an air seat?
    Can it come with an air/hyd cab?
    What brand and size drag were you pulling?

Ok,

The ride is pretty good not as nice as a tired tractor but not bad. It does have the deluxe air ride seat, but I wish it had a little more adjustment for the back of it. I do not know about an air ride cab. We were pulling a older Arrowhead 8' drag with a 4 foot roller and then a 3 foot pan. It really was unreal how you could just fill it up and it would keep on going, where our Case IH would never pull that much in the same conditions, when the drag fills half up with the Case you have to dump some out in order to keep going.

Trailblaizer////// Thanks for all the info on the Kubota, would like to try out that machine, may have to contact our local dealer and see if he can help us out

I have not got to try the new Kubota yet because when ever someone does a demo they buy it so we are waiting for the next one to show and we get first crack at it

Last Feb. our club purchased the Kubota. We like it but we are having problems with the right track getting damaged on the inside. We have about 120 hours on it and are already on the 3rd track. Thankfully Kubota has covered everything under warranty so far! We think it might be from the snow build-up melting then freezing? Attached are some pics of our equipment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

don't where you live. but i think service motor comp. in dale wi. has one

Quote Originally Posted by blu2u2 View Post
    Last Feb. our club purchased the Kubota. We like it but we are having problems with the right track getting damaged on the inside. We have about 120 hours on it and are already on the 3rd track. Thankfully Kubota has covered everything under warranty so far! We think it might be from the snow build-up melting then freezing? Attached are some pics of our equipment.
    I do like the drag! Hope all goes well with the tractor! Keep us posted OK?

Quote Originally Posted by groomerdriver View Post
    I do like the drag! Hope all goes well with the tractor! Keep us posted OK?
    Will do... Thanks for the compliment on our drag!

club down here as problem with there new kubota also. Track issues too.
    Hope they figure things out!!

Howie

Quote Originally Posted by r/l groomer View Post
    club down here as problem with there new kubota also. Track issues too.
    Hope they figure things out!!

Howie
    Thanks for posting this! I am glad that we are not the only ones with a track issue.

Do you know if it is just one side like ours?

Quote Originally Posted by blu2u2 View Post
    Thanks for posting this! I am glad that we are not the only ones with a track issue.

Do you know if it is just one side like ours?
    Don't know for sure, I can find out though.
    I was told one or two clubs near Marshfield have Kubota's also and are having problems too. This is second hand news, snowmobilers stopped me when I was grooming and taking pictures the other day, we were talking about groomers and problems.
    Howie

Great...Thanks!

We have 2 A Suretrac based on a TM140 Newholland and a John Deere wheeled tractor. The Suretrac was the first year they used the tm140 so there were a few bugs to work out, but has been pretty solid unit. It really goes through the snow and floats thought the swamps. We put chains on the front duals on our john deere to help it turn on the ice corners. The next thing on our wish list is to put the Soucy tracks on the Deere. We demoed the Kubota last year the guys thought it was ok but thought it was alittle small for our 10' drag the johnny pulls. We mainly wanted to see how the tracks worked before we put them on our Deere. We got a quote last year on a new Suretrac and they are real pricey but the used ones arent too bad. Just my $.02

I run a john deer 6420 with 30.5 tires and skidder chains had some problems in the deep snow but once the trail was beet down i floated over it. Our last tractor was a deer 6410 we have pictures on our web www.cpriders.com

Default 06 groomer for sale

Our club will be selling our 2006 tucker after this season. It will have 2400 hrs on it by then. It is a 2000 tundra with a snow blade. If anyone is intrested e-mail me rockycaffarella@hotmail.com

Thanks guys we sold our 2006 tucker
    Last edited by cruiser trailboss; 04-29-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Our club (greenville green knights) tonight had an emergency meeting and decided on a new (1 or 2 yr old demo) new holland tractor with the soucy track set-up. Compared this and the Kubota, and, well, they don't compare!

We are ditching a 1995 Ford tractor and 1989 Tucker btw.
    Last edited by indy_500; 04-27-2011 at 11:24 PM.

I would agree with INDY 500 to a point-----BUT----The New Holland with tracks even used (demo) is going to be $120,000. to $140,000. Where you can buy a Kubota for $60,000. to $70,000. complete. The New Holland is nicer, but hard to justify for us around Appleton, maybe next couple of year we might not get any snow??

I would agree with INDY 500 to a point-----BUT----The New Holland with tracks even used (demo) is going to be $120,000. to $140,000. Where you can buy a Kubota for $60,000. to $70,000. complete. The New Holland is nicer, but hard to justify for us around Appleton, maybe next couple of year we might not get any snow??
    We paid $70k for the new holland. 1300 hours on it, 50 hours on the soucy track system. We got 33k for our 95 ford, and 12k for our 89 tucker.

So they wanted $115,000. and with your trades you had to pay $70,000. That's not to bad, everyone say they work great!

Pictures???

Sounds like your club is buying a nice machine, I would like to know the P.S.I if you would ever have those, and pictures would be nice, did your club purchase this machine local or are you dealing with the dealer at Mason Wis.

So they wanted $115,000. and with your trades you had to pay $70,000. That's not to bad, everyone say they work great!
    I just added up my numbers, and they were slightly off, we got it for around 89k, got 45k total for trade in, paying 28k down, leaving 16k to pay off, which we got a 5 yr loan w 5% interest.

Sounds like your club is buying a nice machine, I would like to know the P.S.I if you would ever have those, and pictures would be nice, did your club purchase this machine local or are you dealing with the dealer at Mason Wis.
    we got it from the dealer in mason

no pics yet, i believe we'll be getting it soon.

Where does one go to look for a set of half tracks like the ones shown in the picture?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't help you with the tracks, but offer an alternative. Our club has the big wide tires on the rear, and have chains on them. It is amazing what it will go through. Very few clubs with tractors have chains all the way around, but we do and it works for us.

Again, if you are ever in the area and would like to see another set-up, I would try to get you to our club shed and show you ours.

I sold mine last year, worked good. The picture is from a club next to me, they like their's alot.
    If you own your tractor it works better.
    There is one for sale on the awsc web site on equipment for sale with a tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by 440_chazz View Post
    Where does one go to look for a set of half tracks like the ones shown in the pic
    ture?
    There is a guy around rural Marsfield that makes these, if you are still interested I could find his name for you.

There is a guy around rural Marsfield that makes these, if you are still interested I could find his name for you.
    He's from Vesper or Arpin WI. Club I belonged to had two tractors with them on......Nutterville SnoNuts (you should know who they are hamburgchf).

Too many ongoing problems with the idler wheel system for me, and you had to remove the factory fuel tank and mod your own.

After running a tractor with Soucy tracks, my opinion is to get Soucy's!

Indy500 Did you ever get any pics of your new groomer, and what about the lbs per sq in, do you have those figures, I would sure like to know.
    We have made arrangments for a demo, sure hope it snows

Thanks
    Last edited by hamburgchf; 12-23-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jr37 View Post
    Very few clubs with tractors have chains all the way around, but we do and it works for us.
    We run chains all the way around on a Case tractor. Lots of hills that you can get stuck on so we also have a winch on the front which I used many times a season, especailly after a thaw and re-freeze!

We trade every 3 years, and as long as our hours are 1000 or less, we only pay $12,000 to boot, you can't beat it! I don't know how they make any money on the trade!

Default Rolling Hills New Groomer

rolling-hills-trail-groomer.jpgtucker.jpg

New Holland and the old Tucker

crispyknite,

Is that some sort of branch trimmer mounted on the front? We were looking at one that mounted on the side of the drag and went about 10 feet up.

Default tucker

you will let any body drive

Quote Originally Posted by mspease View Post
    crispyknite,

Is that some sort of branch trimmer mounted on the front? We were looking at one that mounted on the side of the drag and went about 10 feet up.
    I saw one of those brush cutters last week at Lullich Imp. at Mason Wis,

We bought one 2 years ago as well. We have had a set of tracks replaced already as well. The problem is with snow and ice build up and when it gets too thick it breaks the rubber coggs off then no more traction. We were told to put a rope type thing around the center so it will knock off the snow.

ok at our club meeting last nite, the question came up whether or not we should wait a few more years before we get serious about a new groomer a nd build up more of a down payment or do it now with about 1/3 down. we have a 94 Tucker to trade or sell which is in excellent shape and low hrs (2400). seems like everything is going up so fast it is a tough choice

I thought I would follow up with some new info. We have now studded the back tracks and front tires. We have removed the front chains. We have had low snow conditions as everyone has with icy trails and the Kubota tracker has not had any traction problems so far. The tractor sure goes through just about anything. As mentioned we do use our 1800 for the first panning trip through swamps. Still like it!!

W have a John Deere 135 hp with the saucy system and will tell you with an air ride cab on the deere it is very easy to drive and very impressive as the amount of snow it will go through. It will spin out on ice if you are not careful put works extreemly well in dithes and hills. We use an old LMC for first time grooming in wet areas and to get things knocked down early on in the year. Fr all around performance IMO the saucy is the way to go.

Our problem is we want to replace the Tucker, but a tractor with soucy tracks would have to work all the time especially for early season opening trails, if we new for sure that it would work anytime where a Tucker would go especially wet areas,I think that is the way to go.

I demoed a '07 Tucker Terra long track this year and i will say, i was very impressed. Traction, flotation, ease of operation and fuel consumption were all superb. We are now looking to purchase one since we sold our old '95. Can't imagine trying to put a tractor where that thing went without having major headaches.

how many hours on that 07 and how much did they want for it?

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser trailboss View Post
    how many hours on that 07 and how much did they want for it?
    It was from Price Co. Didn't have a blade when traded in. Track put a new blade on it w/all plbg. & joystick. 2600hrs. asking $130,000.

How do you like the Dubbie cutter. we just ordered one for our new Holland? any tips for us?

hamburgchf,

This is Ryan From Hamburg riders. We just got a quote for a 2014 Tucker, and may sell our 2002 Tucker. If you want to call Laverne H. and talk to him if you're interested go ahead. There's 1900hrs on it and you already know that you won't find a better conditioned and maintained Tucker.

Quote Originally Posted by 900RMtanK View Post
    hamburgchf,

This is Ryan From Hamburg riders. We just got a quote for a 2014 Tucker, and may sell our 2002 Tucker. If you want to call Laverne H. and talk to him if you're interested go ahead. There's 1900hrs on it and you already know that you won't find a better conditioned and maintained Tucker.
    Thanks Ryan, I will pass that info on to our President
    Bill

how do you guys like the Dubbie cutter.

Ryan
    $ ?

dj2muchjunk,

Sent you a PM.

RVR RNR,

Sent you a msg about our Tucker.

Anyone with a used Tucker for sale, must be low hours around 1000 or less and rubber tracks, or a Tractor with soucy tracks same specs, make not important, please let me know.

Thanks Hamburgchf

Anyone with a used Tucker for sale, must be low hours around 1000 or less and rubber tracks, or a Tractor with soucy tracks same specs, make not important, please let me know.

Thanks Hamburgchf
    I'm looking for a low hour Terra also. Send me a PM.
    Thanks, RVR RNR.

OK, decision has been made to purchase a tractor with sousy tracks, have heard a lot of good things about this type of groomer, sure wish all groomers were not so expensive, it sure would make things alot easier for all of us trying to update equipment.

Price Co. had a New Holland w/Soucey's on the AWSC site. Not sure if it's still available. Was a 2006, 2600hrs., loader & bucket. Came w/4 tires also. $95,000.

To many hours but thanks for the info.

We Demoed a N.H. with soucey tracks last weekend, that machine is everything our club is looking for, now if we can get our club to take the plunge, price is high but they all are.

We Demoed a N.H. with soucey tracks last weekend, that machine is everything our club is looking for, now if we can get our club to take the plunge, price is high but they all are.
    Awesome machine! I call it a "Tucker on steroids". Don't know how much lowland you have over there in the Hamburg, WI area (I used to live in Weston and groom for a club N of there) but a NH w/Soucy's will go the ice easier than a Tucker or a 2 track will. Local to me club that has one buried it last season.

We have had a couple years on the kubota now and works great . we set the trails with our BR180 and then use the tractor after that . It has been fantastic wish it had a plow on it

Well this past Friday our club took ownership of a NEW HOLLAND T7 170 w soucy tracks, it sure will be nice to start the new season with a new groomer, our old machines were 20 years old and getting tired, looking forward to next season.

Well this past Friday our club took ownership of a NEW HOLLAND T7 170 w soucy tracks, it sure will be nice to start the new season with a new groomer, our old machines were 20 years old and getting tired, looking forward to next season.
    Congrats on your new purchase! Will have to get up there and check out the job it does next winter.