Default 2005 Chevy Spare Tire Hoist

I have a 2005 Chevy 1/2 ton 4X4 Crew Cab. Has anybody else experienced the spare tire hoist not allowing the tire to be lowered. My mechanic said the secondary lock mechanism designed for safety got corroded and did not release the spare. They ended up getting under there and completely removing the hoist itself and said a new one would cost $195. He said he has seen 2 in 2 days just like this. I am trying to find one on line, but do not know the GM part number. Any help with this would be wonderful.

Just in case, if you have one of these on your truck, might not be a bad idea to check it and make sure it works properly. The manual tells how to release the safety mechanism.

Safety my butt...not being able to change a flat along side the dragstrip known as 39/51 doesnt sound very safe.

Thanks... Doug

Default crap

i just put 1 on a customer's 04 tahoe today 165$ from gm if you realy need the part# i'll check my invoice

Default Thanks !!!

rp7x...that would be great. Have you seen alot of these?

Been thru the same thing on my 2003 Suburban. It's a problem with all of them. According to the manual, you're supposed to periodically lower it to prevent this from happening. I read it after the fact, of course. I've got a 2007 now. Guess I have something to do this afternoon now.

Default part #

19153286 from a tahoe

best day this yr was the day I traded in my POS 05z71 never again

Quote Originally Posted by ezra View Post
    best day this yr was the day I traded in my POS 05z71 never again
    Yeah, and how's those payments work'n out for yah??

A friend had same problem with a Trailblazer, cost him about $300 for the repair and flat tire. Hearing this, I checked my '98 Expedition. Sure enough, it was rusted up. Little igenuity on my part and I was able to free it up. Now it's in a cocoon of grease with plastic around it. Luckily I found out at home with lots of tools and time instead of 2 am at 17 below with a trailer, which usually happens.

Wife's Commander I do a five tire rotation, so I grease that up each time, plus that is a better design.

Quote Originally Posted by anonomoose View Post
    Yeah, and how's those payments work'n out for yah??
    what payments?I will only finance if it is 0%

Default Spare tire

I had the same problem on my 05 Sub. It cost me an evening with my wife fishing on Ole Miss. I was told it would have to be replaced. I bought a $5 cable cutter instead to keep in the truck. Maybe I won't have a flat for the rest of my ownership. If I do,...I'll fix it then.

Quote Originally Posted by captddh View Post
    I had the same problem on my 05 Sub. It cost me an evening with my wife fishing on Ole Miss. I was told it would have to be replaced. I bought a $5 cable cutter instead to keep in the truck. Maybe I won't have a flat for the rest of my ownership. If I do,...I'll fix it then.
    Can you get to the cable?

Default cable cut what?

the cable winds all the way in

Ezra...Finance with 0% interest will still have payments unless you had the cash on hand. Oh and not really concerned about your opinion on Chevy trucks. I think you ride Artic Cats anyway. But thanks.

Everyone else...Thanks. I have the hoist out and on the work bench. Sprayed the **** out of it w/ PB Blaster. Freed it up pretty good, but it looks like the repair shop did some damage trying to get it to work. I am probably just going to grind the safety clear and put it back up. Never needed ant type of safety mechanism in years past.

This is not uncommon and is just a poor design by GM. I had the same thing happen with my 04' and 05' Chevrolet pick-ups.

I'm waiting to find a deal on a replacement in a junk yard since a new new hoist is pricy. Good luck!

Throw the hoist away and put tire mount in the bed. Problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by 700classic View Post
    Throw the hoist away and put tire mount in the bed. Problem solved!
    Only problem is the larger wheels on trucks & suv's take up alot of room if placed in the bed, especially if you have a short box p.u.!

Good thread to remind everyone to check their spare tire and hoist now, and prior to winter.

I have road side assistance and it is cheaper then the part and I don't have to get my hands dirty.

Default road side

any chance they have a torch ?