Thread: wood pellets

Default wood pellets

I recently have bought a ton of wood pellets and they are jamming up in the stove. The problem is they are to long. I burned them all last season and they were fine and now I have a additional stove besides the first one and both are jamming up. I called the manufacturer and they said they have a max size of 1.5" and I told them I have some 2 3/8". The pellets are Lumberjack brand. Anyone else had this problem ? I also went to another place that sells the Lumberjack brand and they had an opened bag. I looked them over good and there were some long ones in there also. Seems to be bit of an issue. When I talked to the head guy for Lumberjack he said he appreciated the feedback and would try an do something about it. Seems like a good company, I hope they can fix this because the pellets are priced reasonable and burn well and not too much ash

I thought about getting a pellet stove. What is the price on a bag of pellets, if you don't mind me asking?

anywhere from $195-225 for (50) 40lb bags

How long does a bag last you, Lenny?
    Thanks for the info.

Default toured plant

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    I recently have bought a ton of wood pellets and they are jamming up in the stove. The problem is they are to long. I burned them all last season and they were fine and now I have a additional stove besides the first one and both are jamming up. I called the manufacturer and they said they have a max size of 1.5" and I told them I have some 2 3/8". The pellets are Lumberjack brand. Anyone else had this problem ? I also went to another place that sells the Lumberjack brand and they had an opened bag. I looked them over good and there were some long ones in there also. Seems to be bit of an issue. When I talked to the head guy for Lumberjack he said he appreciated the feedback and would try an do something about it. Seems like a good company, I hope they can fix this because the pellets are priced reasonable and burn well and not too much ash
    I had a personal tour of the plant last summer. He is indeed a very nice guy. The plant is just south of Hayward on hwy 63.

I have been burning pellets from them for 3 years. Started using them their first year and had a lot of chaff(small broken pieces that I had to sift out first). The next year they had a much better quality and as stated the Lumberjack brand has very little ash.

I am sure he will fix the problem. I haven't seen the problem you describe.

well, the stove has heat settings but I'd say I can run about 18hrs on a full hopper which can just about take the full 40 lbs, probably 20 hrs on 40 lb +or-. Farm & Fleet has a unit that holds 140 lbs, wish I'd got that one but not framilar with the maker

Quote Originally Posted by catalac View Post
    How long does a bag last you, Lenny?
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by zltim View Post
    I had a personal tour of the plant last summer. He is indeed a very nice guy. The plant is just south of Hayward on hwy 63.

I have been burning pellets from them for 3 years. Started using them their first year and had a lot of chaff(small broken pieces that I had to sift out first). The next year they had a much better quality and as stated the Lumberjack brand has very little ash.

I am sure he will fix the problem. I haven't seen the problem you describe.
    Thanks for that info, I hope the long pellets was just a fluke problem cause I wanna keep using them but I use use stoves in a rental property and cannot afford an ongoing issue like this

Default pellets

Lenny, I am presently burning the lumber jack brand pellets. I got home last night and was wondering who shut the pellet stove off asked the fam no one shut it off investigated a little more and found the auger was not turning? took apart the stove and found a half burnt pice of plastic bag this was stopping the auger, it was from the main part of the bag so I know I didnt get it in there when I add pellets. just a thought for you

Bartski

Quote Originally Posted by bartski View Post
    Lenny, I am presently burning the lumber jack brand pellets. I got home last night and was wondering who shut the pellet stove off asked the fam no one shut it off investigated a little more and found the auger was not turning? took apart the stove and found a half burnt pice of plastic bag this was stopping the auger, it was from the main part of the bag so I know I didnt get it in there when I add pellets. just a thought for you

Bartski
    I was hoping it was something simple like that. I pulled the lower auger on my unit and looked up in the drop shut and seen with my own eyes 3 long pellets stuck in there vertically, the time before there was just 1 pellet stuck. It's conclusive the pellets are my problem. I appreciate your post as foreign abjects are always possible

Lenny, are you saying that you spend 195$ a bag, and burn in less than 24hrs.? That to me does not sound like a good deal. I would go broke in a few days.
    Just wondering if this is right?

If you read Lenny's post closer, that was for 50 bags.

Quote Originally Posted by catalac View Post
    Lenny, are you saying that you spend 195$ a bag, and burn in less than 24hrs.? That to me does not sound like a good deal. I would go broke in a few days.
    Just wondering if this is right?
    $195.00 per TON...aprox. 50 bags.

the price for the pellets I have been buying is $195 for (50) 40lb bags which comes to $3.90 per bag

Sorry Lenny. I saw what you wrote and didn't even think about it.
    That sounds more like it.
    I'm an idiot!

no prob bro, hope we gave you some helpful info, so you are considering getting one?

Have been running a pellet stove for the past three seasons, purchased a ton of the “Lumberjack” pellets last year, if available in your area, I would recommend “Marth” (brand name), same basic price, cleaner hotter burn. Of course this is just my opinion, but I have burnt about 10 tons over the past 3 winters and have tried 5 different brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty P View Post
    Have been running a pellet stove for the past three seasons, purchased a ton of the “Lumberjack” pellets last year, if available in your area, I would recommend “Marth” (brand name), same basic price, cleaner hotter burn. Of course this is just my opinion, but I have burnt about 10 tons over the past 3 winters and have tried 5 different brands.
    I have heard good about the Marth also. Are they the pellets made in Marathon Wis? If so, I did contact them and they told me they come up to Eagle River 2 times a week. I may just give them a try.

Yes, Marathon, WI. I have been paying $200.00 a ton in Houghton.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty P View Post
    Yes, Marathon, WI. I have been paying $200.00 a ton in Houghton.
    WOW... that's good news,,,, where in Houghton do you get them? I need to get 2 more tons for this winter, maybe 3 actually. These Lumber Jack pellets are just to long, at least this current ton i am burning. There much longer than last seasons. Bad thing about long pellets is also that MY stove regulates the heat by auger speed in cycles so it doesn't know it's sending longer pellets into the burn pot resulting in excessive fuel burning. I have had my stove on it's lowest setting, #1 out of 10 heat ranges and the place is still to hot. We have to open the windows all the time. I am heating 1200 sq ft with a stove that can heat up to 1500 sq ft. If this years pellets are running 25-30% larger than last seasons than that would explain why the place is so hot. I also notice the bags don't last as long.

A friend of mine and his brother have started making pellets also, about 6 months ago or so. Their mill is called Rib Mountain Bio. I was told by someone that has burned their pellets that they are some of the best pellets he has ever burned. My neighbor just bought 5 tons from them last week, so I can find out soon if he likes them. Earlier this fall they were selling them bulk, you pick them up, for $165 a ton, if I remember correctly. I don't know yet what they are getting for them bagged or if they have delivery, I'm waiting for that info yet. They don't have a web site yet, but if you would be interested, I have a name and number I would pm you. They are made in Athens, WI, which is about 3-3 1/2 hours from Rockland, 4 to Houghton.

buying in bulk would not be practical for me. I need them to be in bags. Stoves hate foreign objects. Bulk without a special container and storage would be hard to do. I appreciate the idea and when they bag them I'll certainly look into the product, thanks bud

They do bag them, sorry. I just don't know the price bagged or delivery yet. I will post as soon as I know.

Michigan wood Pellet in the green bag at Family farm and home work well. $186 a ton or$ 3.99 a bag. They burn clean. Recomend trying brands a bag at a time to find what works best in your own stove.
    Last edited by polarisrider1; 01-18-2011 at 08:13 AM.

my question is how can long pellets stop the auger? i had my auger totally eat a large spoon.it took a few hours to get that out of there.i now lock the hopper lid so no one but me can get in there.jmo

Quote Originally Posted by michaeladams View Post
    my question is how can long pellets stop the auger? i had my auger totally eat a large spoon.it took a few hours to get that out of there.i now lock the hopper lid so no one but me can get in there.jmo
    what happens is that pellets drop through a "drop shoot" and if the pellets are long, like 2+ " long and fall just right they hang up and wedge in length wise, the auger keeps turning packing up all the pellet fuel behind this jam up but no more pellets pass. My thought is that the stove does not burn so the temp fall thus shutting off the stove. The stove thinks it's empty so it shuts off. I think that auger does keep turning but with no burn happening it automatically goes to shut down mode .So within that shut down time mode it just packs the pellets tighter and tighter behind the jam. It certainly has the torque to jeep pushing but I think the stove times out because of no temp. I do have some long pellets and I'll try an remember to snap a few pics and post them.

Default update

Lenny, they must of had a bad batch of pellets my breckwell stove dont like the long lumberjack pellets we have to turn the auger speed almost wide open to run this batch of pellets. I have a call into hayward waiting for a reply, you would think they could help us out in future purchases?
    Bartski

I did get a decent response from Hayward. They told me to take them back to the dealer but I ground out some of the casting with a die grinder in the drop chute and it did help. I have burned 20 bags since and the pellets seem long still but not as long. I would like to get the pellets from the dealer in Houghton (different brand) but not sure I need to be hauling tons of pellets so many miles.

Default rib mountian bio

Quote Originally Posted by jr37 View Post
    A friend of mine and his brother have started making pellets also, about 6 months ago or so. Their mill is called Rib Mountain Bio. I was told by someone that has burned their pellets that they are some of the best pellets he has ever burned. My neighbor just bought 5 tons from them last week, so I can find out soon if he likes them. Earlier this fall they were selling them bulk, you pick them up, for $165 a ton, if I remember correctly. I don't know yet what they are getting for them bagged or if they have delivery, I'm waiting for that info yet. They don't have a web site yet, but if you would be interested, I have a name and number I would pm you. They are made in Athens, WI, which is about 3-3 1/2 hours from Rockland, 4 to Houghton.
    I live in central wisconsin and am interested in the rib mountain bio fuel pellets, could you supply the contact information for this company?

Sorry, I didn't see this for a few days. I will post the contact number in a day or 2, as soon as I get it.

My neighbor has has good luck with them, he just got another 5 tons from them. He buys bulk and has it loaded into a gravity box that he feed right into his pellet heater.

Forgive my ignorance here but I have a question.

What advantage is there to wood pellets vs. a wood burner like John uses? Obviously the convenience factor of buying pellets in a bag but what else?

Quote Originally Posted by joannb View Post
    I live in central wisconsin and am interested in the rib mountain bio fuel pellets, could you supply the contact information for this company?
    I sent you a PM