Results 1 to 43 of 43
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spring Valley Il
    Posts
    114

    Default 2011 Dodge 2500 Hemi Mileage

    What kind of MPG should I expect from a hemi in a 2500 Dodge 4 x 4?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Too far from the snow
    Posts
    2,118

    Default

    I think there's a dont ask dont tell policy for a rig like that.

    We have an 06 Jeep Commander with a 4.7 and that's our policy at least.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WR & ER
    Posts
    55

    Default

    I don't have experience with the 2500, but my 10 1500 4x4 w/3.92 gears, hemi gets 12-13 city..16-19 highway...11 towing 2place enclosed. Sweet engine, better mpg than my 02 w/4.7, waaaay better power too!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigans gold coast.
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    I have an 08 1500 Dodge crew cab hemi and I get 14.5 to 15.5 all around driving with empty box and no extra riders. The minute I start loading things in mileage starts dropping quickly. Loaded down with tile and tools and a 2 place enclosed with 2 sleds it bottoms out at 11.2 MPG The trailer (clam shell) make a 2 mpg drop in itself empty. The hemi isn't anything special. (I miss my 3/4 ton Chev. 350). Hemis need 7 qts. of oil and 16 spark plugs. I have noticed that Dodge trucks are less money for a reason. Less truck.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lebanon, In
    Posts
    135

    Default

    I average about 13.5 with my 03 with normal driving. I'll get 19 - 21 Hwy IF I keep it under 70, above that it drops like a rock. Problem is I usually run 75 to 80 since the speed limit is 70 here. Pulling my four place enclosed with 4 sleds I'll get about 11.5, pulling my 35 travel trailer with the Grizzly in the back I get about 9 and the same when I pull my flat bed with my tractor on it.
    The Hemi pulls really good, 70 mph with the overdrive engaged it pulls far better than my neighbors 04 chevy with a two place enclosed. Very seldom shifts out of overdrive where the chevy constantly shifts. Last trip we took it to Caddilac he was even complaining how much his truck shifted. Very annoying.
    Only trouble I have had was I broke a valve spring when I was pulling my tractor from our hunting cabin near Louisville. 127,000 miles so far. Complete set of springs was 65.00. Too small of wire diameter but the new ones have bigger springs.
    I guess it's true when you buy a Dodge you get less. Less problems. So far I haven't put wheel bearings in it, haven't put heads on it because of it useing oil (friends 07 Suburban 70,000), no processor for speedometer @ 700.00(4 friends chevys), headlights or turn signals haven't fallen out yet because the plastic clips break (neighbors 04 truck and friends 06 avalance), Haven't put a front differential in it( freinds 06 Avalanche), Haven't put an A/C compressor on it(several friends chevys), haven't replaced the tranny, fuel sending unit, heated mirrors etc. Yep, got alot less truck and alot less trouble.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WR & ER
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider1 View Post
    I have an 08 1500 Dodge crew cab hemi and I get 14.5 to 15.5 all around driving with empty box and no extra riders. The minute I start loading things in mileage starts dropping quickly. Loaded down with tile and tools and a 2 place enclosed with 2 sleds it bottoms out at 11.2 MPG The trailer (clam shell) make a 2 mpg drop in itself empty. The hemi isn't anything special. (I miss my 3/4 ton Chev. 350). Hemis need 7 qts. of oil and 16 spark plugs. I have noticed that Dodge trucks are less money for a reason. Less truck.
    funny you are concerned about gas, oil, and spark plugs, yet ride Polaris snowmobiles.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigans gold coast.
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragex2 View Post
    funny you are concerned about gas, oil, and spark plugs, yet ride Polaris snowmobiles.....
    I see the rage. No bashing sleds. (it's in the rules). Oh and I am not concerned about gas, oil or spark plugs, just passing along information. Not bashing Dodge either, It would be nice if the mileage quoted on stickers was actual for everyday use.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lotoftoys View Post
    What kind of MPG should I expect from a hemi in a 2500 Dodge 4 x 4?

    Did you buy it for gas mileage?


    I drive an F-250 and the only reason I know anything about my trucks mpg is that I will pay attention a bit on the highway so I can have a rough idea of about how much I will have to spend to go on longer trips.

    In the city I have never even bothered to check. Don't know, don't want to know and don't care. If I was going to worry about mpg I wouldn't have bought a 3/4 ton truck.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Homer Glen, Illinois
    Posts
    71

    Default

    My 2010 Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 averages about 15 around town & 17 to 20 on the road depending on conditions. From what i have heard due to being heavier you will see less. Might want to look around on Ramforumz.com for some better answers.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Elgin, IL.
    Posts
    473

    Default

    '06 Durango w/5.7 Hemi. I found the multi-displacement doesn't seem to do much for the mileage and you never know when its on. Played around with the vehicle to see the worst and best mileage in town. 12 worst, 15 best.

    I found the A/C affects your mileage more than a lead foot. Running w/o A/C, the moonroof open, and the windows up I can get at least an additional mile per gallon better fuel mileage. (I sure enjoy the moonroof.)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigans gold coast.
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xsledder View Post
    '06 Durango w/5.7 Hemi. I found the multi-displacement doesn't seem to do much for the mileage and you never know when its on. Played around with the vehicle to see the worst and best mileage in town. 12 worst, 15 best.

    I found the A/C affects your mileage more than a lead foot. Running w/o A/C, the moonroof open, and the windows up I can get at least an additional mile per gallon better fuel mileage. (I sure enjoy the moonroof.)
    Sounds realistic. Never have gotten any better than 15.4 mpg and that is running truck with nothing in it but the driver. Never seen a truck affected so much when adding weight in the box or adding a trailer behind it. Must be the gearing is pretty high. The turning off cylinder apperatus looks expensive and offers little help in mileage.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,089

    Default

    Scottiking on here has a 2010 ( I think) 1500 4x4, hemi, and he has pulled 21 mpg highway from the cities to Krupp's.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigans gold coast.
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    Scottiking on here has a 2010 ( I think) 1500 4x4, hemi, and he has pulled 21 mpg highway from the cities to Krupp's.
    Then something is wrong with the 5.7 hemi I have.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greenville Wi
    Posts
    7,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider1 View Post
    Then something is wrong with the 5.7 hemi I have.
    yours doesnt have variable valve timing

    yours is 345 hp and 09 newer 390 hp. Still makes me laugh to think a 5.7 chevy non vortec had 220 (225?) hp

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    McHenry,IL
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider1 View Post
    Scottiking on here has a 2010 ( I think) 1500 4x4, hemi, and he has pulled 21 mpg highway from the cities to Krupp's.
    Maybe downhill with a tornado behind him. Dodge gets the worst fuel economy of all the full size trucks. Not sure on the 2011 but 2010 were no better than previous yrs. 12mpg sounds about right for around town in the winter.
    Last edited by steath; 04-27-2011 at 02:00 PM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spring Valley Il
    Posts
    114

    Default I backed away from a new truck.

    Instead of the new 3/4 ton Dodge i bought a used truck and will also keep my chevy. I found a 2000 F350 (single rear wheeled) with the 7.3 diesel and 64,000 miles. The truck is totally stock, perfect shape, and loaded. I am installing cold air intake, 4" turbo back exhaust,mild chip for mileage. I figure this way when I need to pull trailers I can and I can use my chevy 1500 daily. We will see what happens! Thanks for all the input.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    spring grove il.
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider1 View Post
    I have an 08 1500 Dodge crew cab hemi and I get 14.5 to 15.5 all around driving with empty box and no extra riders. The minute I start loading things in mileage starts dropping quickly. Loaded down with tile and tools and a 2 place enclosed with 2 sleds it bottoms out at 11.2 MPG The trailer (clam shell) make a 2 mpg drop in itself empty. The hemi isn't anything special. (I miss my 3/4 ton Chev. 350). Hemis need 7 qts. of oil and 16 spark plugs. I have noticed that Dodge trucks are less money for a reason. Less truck.
    The hemi dose'nt take 16 spark plugs, 8 plugs, and two coil packs per cyclinder. I also own one..........

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    close to the edge.
    Posts
    5,983

    Default

    the ? is why support a corp that took the money.buy a ford

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    lake linden
    Posts
    363

    Default

    i dont own a dodge but i know my 2002 f 250 with oversized tires gets 16 mpg highway and about 15 city

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    N/W Ohio
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Mmm, my '05 Hemi does indeed have 16 plugs. I counted 'em when I changed 'em. Each cylinder has a coil pack over one spark plug, and a regular plug wire connected to the other spark plug that extends to a coil on the opposite cylinder bank. Each cylinder shares a coil pack with another cylinder. Each of the two plugs on a given cylinder is fired by separate coils. One plug fires near TDC, the other near the bottom of the power stroke.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigans gold coast.
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markf8sp View Post
    Mmm, my '05 Hemi does indeed have 16 plugs. I counted 'em when I changed 'em. Each cylinder has a coil pack over one spark plug, and a regular plug wire connected to the other spark plug that extends to a coil on the opposite cylinder bank. Each cylinder shares a coil pack with another cylinder. Each of the two plugs on a given cylinder is fired by separate coils. One plug fires near TDC, the other near the bottom of the power stroke.
    Thank you. And the plugs are platinum tipped too. Some of the answers in tech section are totally useless because the unknowing try to answer with authority. Makes me laugh. We as a group need to work on this section for the betterment of all.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigans gold coast.
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snoseekr2 View Post
    The hemi dose'nt take 16 spark plugs, 8 plugs, and two coil packs per cyclinder. I also own one..........
    I changed my own plugs and I did not wind up with 8 extras by mistake.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    spring grove il.
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider1 View Post
    I changed my own plugs and I did not wind up with 8 extras by mistake.
    I was mistaken, sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigans gold coast.
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snoseekr2 View Post
    I was mistaken, sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Drivers side rear tire fell off today. 110 miles from home. Wife was hauling her bike home in the snomobile trailer when it happened. I was riding an entirely different way home when she called. Bought new tires this past thursday. Lug nuts were loose and tire came off. Wrecked the 20" aluminum rim, broke off the lugs and wrecked the rear disc rotor. No one was hurt. 2 flat beds, one for truck and one for the trailer. Parts not avail. In Big Rapids, Reed city or Baldwin. Auto zone said lugs must come from dealer. Truck sitting at Garage in Reed City. Lost most the day, working on truck, riding bike home to get wifes car, driving back up, and now she is driving us home. Fun fun.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Watertown WI
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    Any USA made vehicle is cheaply made IMO. I own 2 Dodges, 05 1500 Hemi, and a 05 2500 CTD. The hemi has never been higher than 18mpgs. And that was ONCE, on the freeway. Usually around 14-16mpgs. And it has 3.23 or whatever dodge uses for gears in that range. The CTD is not stock and gets its MPGs dependant on my right foot.


    16 spark plugs in the hemi here. Oh and the hemi gets fussy if 89 or higher octane is not used. Its been reliable, and its paid for, but I long for the day I can in good conscience justify a new vehicle.

    I love the Cummins engine, the cheap POS thats wrapped around it sucks. I have yet to be in a well built american vehicle. To bad the Germans dont make fullsize 3/4 ton pickups in the USA.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigans gold coast.
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    I will never forget the answer to my question when I bought my truck. I asked, "where are the rear wheel wells (liners that go in the wells)". The answer was, "Oh, those are extra". Never liked the truck since day one. Suspect that started it. Don't omit critical parts. It is a 4x4 after all mud goes everywhere. Next question was, "what about mileage", answer, "it's a Hemi". Not sure where the salesman was going with that. And life goes on.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    lake linden
    Posts
    363

    Default

    the ideal truck would be a ford chasis matched with a cummins engine and an allison transmission.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider1 View Post
    Bought new tires this past thursday. Lug nuts were loose and tire came off.
    This is why they tell you to check them yourself within the first 50 miles.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spring Valley Il
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winter_time View Post
    the ideal truck would be a ford chasis matched with a cummins engine and an allison transmission.
    We have one of those. My son has a 2005 F250 and the 6.0 diesel gave way. Now it has a twelve valve cummins,twin turbo, marine injectors and 60 over on the pistons. We also moved mounts back so we could run the stock cummins radiator fan and installed a GM 5 speed for fun. Low twenty mile per gallon and HP like crazy. It was frustrating at times but nice to work on together.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lebanon, In
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Srt20, you are driving German engineered trucks. Forget who owned Chrysler when those trucks were built? Have you looked at the reliability ratings of a German built car lately?

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigans gold coast.
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    This is why they tell you to check them yourself within the first 50 miles.
    Tire store is paying for everything. New $600 rim, rotor, lugs, studs, tow truck ,etc. Sweet. I thought they would use that excuse but did not. I called them and the corporate safety director answered the phone and was all over it for me. The tire jockey has had 2 others come off in last month. This store is nation wide.

  32. #32

    Default

    Technically after lugs are put on with an impact, they gotta be torqued with torque wrench. I work in a big truck tire shop and we gotta torque em every time lugs go back on. Then they should be torqued again within 50-100 miles.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    clarkston/harrison
    Posts
    1,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ezra View Post
    the ? is why support a corp that took the money.buy a ford
    X'2

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    clarkston/harrison
    Posts
    1,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider1 View Post
    I changed my own plugs and I did not wind up with 8 extras by mistake.
    I hate when that happens!!!

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    MN, Navalville, North of the "Y" and South of the "Twins"
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steath View Post
    Maybe downhill with a tornado behind him. Dodge gets the worst fuel economy of all the full size trucks. Not sure on the 2011 but 2010 were no better than previous yrs. 12mpg sounds about right for around town in the winter.
    I drive a 08 1500 with the 5.7 hemi, and I pull anywhere from 19-21 on the hwy. In fact just went from south of the cities down to Iowa City, Iowa last weekend and pulled 20.2, with the wife and 2 kids. But I must way on the way back it was windy as all ****, only got 17-18mpg.

    But I get 16mpg, fully loaded with gear pulling 3 sleds to krupps. My only complaint is the factory tires SUCK! Thanks god bridgstone made the Dueler ATV Revo 2.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigans gold coast.
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by big10champ2003 View Post
    I drive a 08 1500 with the 5.7 hemi, and I pull anywhere from 19-21 on the hwy. In fact just went from south of the cities down to Iowa City, Iowa last weekend and pulled 20.2, with the wife and 2 kids. But I must way on the way back it was windy as all ****, only got 17-18mpg.

    But I get 16mpg, fully loaded with gear pulling 3 sleds to krupps. My only complaint is the factory tires SUCK! Thanks god bridgstone made the Dueler ATV Revo 2.
    Dealer said, nothing wrong with my truck. 87 octane and 13.8 to 15.6 tops without any trailer. Add trailer and it drops big time. Must be the amsoil that is causing the poor mileage. Lol. I may have a leadfoot.
    Last edited by polarisrider1; 05-27-2011 at 08:48 AM.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    U.P. Michigan
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Then they should be torqued again within 50-100 miles.
    This is why they tell you to check them yourself within the first 50 miles.
    How can the average customer do that? This is most asinine thing to tell a customer. You're saying, we do such poor work that you better check it in 50/100 miles or your wheels might fall off. Or is this to say, not our fault. We warned you!

    I am sure everyone has a torque wrench, heck most people don't even know how to change a tire how can they check for lug nut torque.

    I notice one shop I was in, they have a another person torque the lug nuts then who installed them. And also they make him check every wheel 2x.
    Last edited by eao; 05-27-2011 at 12:26 PM.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eao View Post
    How can the average customer do that? This is most asinine thing to tell a customer. You're saying, we do such poor work that you better check it in 50/100 miles or your wheels might fall off. Or is this to say, not our fault. We warned you!

    I am sure everyone has a torque wrench, heck most people don't even know how to change a tire how can they check for lug nut torque.

    I notice one shop I was in, they have a another person torque the lug nuts then who installed them. And also they make him check every wheel 2x.
    I'm sure you are right, and 99.9% of the people on the road probably don't even know where the jack is on their vehicle, much less be able to change a flat.

    I agree with you, but that's what they tell you, or hand you a piece of paper, or have it written on a reciept they give you. Check it out.

    Personally, I have a breaker bar specifically for lug nuts at home, and I lean on every nut any tire changer touched IF, and I say IF, I have them do the work.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigans gold coast.
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    I'm sure you are right, and 99.9% of the people on the road probably don't even know where the jack is on their vehicle, much less be able to change a flat.

    I agree with you, but that's what they tell you, or hand you a piece of paper, or have it written on a reciept they give you. Check it out.

    Personally, I have a breaker bar specifically for lug nuts at home, and I lean on every nut any tire changer touched IF, and I say IF, I have them do the work.
    That's you. The tire store paid for everything but my time. As a business owner I know things happen. They never once said, hey did you check your lugs after whatever miles? No they said, thank God no one was hurt, we will get your work truck back on the road asap, we are so sorry this happened. The company was very professional. They ordered me a new matching dodge 20" rim. Paid all receipts for repairs and tow bill. Drove 110 miles to inspect truck and check lugs and pay repairs. To me that was what a great company does. No whining, no passing blame, pure take care of your customers. That is what I do for my customers and that's what I expect. All fleet tires will be bought from them from here on out. Thank you Discount Tire Company, you did me right when your tiire jockey messed up.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider1 View Post
    That's you. The tire store paid for everything but my time. As a business owner I know things happen. They never once said, hey did you check your lugs after whatever miles? No they said, thank God no one was hurt, we will get your work truck back on the road asap, we are so sorry this happened. The company was very professional. They ordered me a new matching dodge 20" rim. Paid all receipts for repairs and tow bill. Drove 110 miles to inspect truck and check lugs and pay repairs. To me that was what a great company does. No whining, no passing blame, pure take care of your customers. That is what I do for my customers and that's what I expect. All fleet tires will be bought from them from here on out. Thank you Discount Tire Company, you did me right when your tiire jockey messed up.
    Yeah, but what a pain in the arse, and how LUCKY to not have had anything more severe happen, like a tire go through someones windshield and kill them.

    I'll lean on the lug nuts for my piece of mind.

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    clarkston/harrison
    Posts
    1,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steath View Post
    Maybe downhill with a tornado behind him. Dodge gets the worst fuel economy of all the full size trucks. Not sure on the 2011 but 2010 were no better than previous yrs. 12mpg sounds about right for around town in the winter.
    x'2

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigans gold coast.
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snow_monkey View Post
    x'2
    X3 and 4

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    U.P. Michigan
    Posts
    351

    Default

    fyi

    OnStar data shows mileage of drivers in identical cars can vary by 75 percent

    2011-05-27

    Full Story

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Adsense

» September 2014

S M T W T F S
31 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 1234

» Stats

Members: 18,418
Threads: 27,217
Posts: 279,744

» Online Users: 135

16 members and 119 guests
Most users ever online was 533, 01-23-2012 at 02:10 PM.

» Today's Birthdays

None
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1