Default Baja or Crownline?

So I have been boat shopping over the winter and looking at 23 foot open bow boats. My boating is typically on inland lakes and several long weekends each year on the Mississippi. I narrowed my search to either a Baja 232 Islander or a Crownline 225 LPX. My biggest demand is pretty simple – the boat must go 60+ mph, so I am looking at big block boats (454 or 496 in Baja’s or 496 in the Crownline) from the 2000 to 2004 era. Baja’s are extremely hard to find in good shape and when you do find one they are way high priced. There are more Crownlines around and less money. The hulls are very different between the boats, with a 16 degree on the Crownline and a 23 degree on the Baja. So I understand in rough water the Baja will be more comfortable. Does anyone have experience out here that could offer positive or negative feedback on either boat?

Inland lakes - Crownline

The big Lakes - Baha

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_B View Post
    Inland lakes - Crownline

The big Lakes - Baha
    Correct. Go with the Crownline.

think fountian owns baha or visa virsa.

I had a 22ft Stingray with a Mag350 and it would do bottom end 60 and the 23's they had with the 496 would be close to 70. But just a word to the wise be careful with those speeds on a 23ftr especially on the Miss. I can personally say I have been scared a few times (both driving and as a passenger on 22s/23s) on the Miss and St.Croix with having the entire boat out of the water and what seemed to be a small roller which turn out to be a WIDE small roller that dropped of on the backside. Other than that I hope you enjoy the boat!!!!

I have an 18' Crownline with a 4.3 V6 that will top out at 50mph on a nice calm day. Great quality boat IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by racerx View Post
    I had a 22ft Stingray with a Mag350 and it would do bottom end 60 and the 23's they had with the 496 would be close to 70. But just a word to the wise be careful with those speeds on a 23ftr especially on the Miss. I can personally say I have been scared a few times (both driving and as a passenger on 22s/23s) on the Miss and St.Croix with having the entire boat out of the water and what seemed to be a small roller which turn out to be a WIDE small roller that dropped of on the backside. Other than that I hope you enjoy the boat!!!!
    out of the watter is all part of the fun.prob 16yrs ago I sank my checkmate mx13 with a heavy mod merc 90 on it jumping house boat wake.that boat was crazzzzzy at least 1 time per outing you would be flying accrose the watter hit a sm wave and catch a gust and it would lift and catch air at a 45% or better then drop back in prop first and usualy wheely out.the jet ski killed the mini boat.that boat would allways get guys walking over at the landing to talk about it

Quote Originally Posted by ezra View Post
    out of the watter is all part of the fun.prob 16yrs ago I sank my checkmate mx13 with a heavy mod merc 90 on it jumping house boat wake.that boat was crazzzzzy at least 1 time per outing you would be flying accrose the watter hit a sm wave and catch a gust and it would lift and catch air at a 45% or better then drop back in prop first and usualy wheely out.the jet ski killed the mini boat.that boat would allways get guys walking over at the landing to talk about it
    Oh don't me wrong I had fun out of the water, but I have to admit it was scary a few times. The one time on St.Croix my fellow Rays were behind me and said the whole boat was completely out by a couple feet and they could read the logo on hatch on the front deck which normally you can not see unless you are looking down to the top of the boat, so it had to be 45 degrees or more. I was very lucky I back down enough at the right time before lift-off and came down softly on the downward side of the wave vs the bottom or casing the top of the next. I ended up slowing down the boat a bit going with a 4-blade as the 3-blade Mirage was great for top speed but a little to much for the 350Mag and would blowout often. The 4-blade was awesome, I could do donuts w/o blowing out, plus it was great for holeshots and lower speeds.

Default Boat Both Areas

Inland lakes - Crownline

The big Lakes - Baha
    Thanks for the feedback. I currently have a 19 foot Starcraft with a 200 hp outboard that runs 60ish, so I’m used to the speed and occasional full air. I get a chyna walk a bit at 60 and have to back out sometimes. We boat predominantly on Lake Wisconsin, with some weekend trips to bigger water. We are planning 2 long weekends to the Mississippi, one to Door County to hit Chambers Island. So, the Baja has appeal for those. The Crownline has more interior space than the Baja and is more social. The Crownline is Ski Doo yellow, which we also like! Decisions, decisions…..

Crownline ! for sure. In my mind Baha is a hot rod boat, so when it comes time to sell, Crownline will sell first.

I had a Crownline 240br. Not a bad thing to say. Lot of boating on the Mississippi. Wasn't as fast as I expected, but I think it only had a 350. Would buy one again.

18ft Baja with 200 hp Merc, set back tansom jack, etc.
    Runs in the high 70's and can get hairy if hitting waves or wind gusts when trimed out.
    I've had boats all my life and like this one the best.
    All though, I always wanted a Hydrostream, Vegas or Venus,but could never find one in excellent shape.

Wandered around the marina today and made note of Baja and Crownline boats. A 35' Baja Outlaw is not even in the same comparision group as say a 35' Crown line cruiser. Both have different purposes. What models are we comparing? I would take the Crownline for livability. Sea Ray for quality. Tiara is out of my range. http://www.bajamarine.com/models.htm http://www.crownline.com/2011/models/cuddy-cabins okay, duh. it says right there in post #1.
    Last edited by polarisrider1; 05-09-2011 at 06:41 PM. Reason: did not follow instructions. lol

Default Open Bow

Both are open bow boats as for the type of boating I do I am not ready to go to the Baja type cuddy's. I am seriously leaning toward giving the Crownline a try and looked at a very clean one last week.

Kris, I saw on some forums, there are some Crownlines with Volvo powered 502's, 8.2L! With the right speed prop you have to be able to push past 60mph in that boat. example:http://littlerock.craigslist.org/boa/2319717978.html
    Last edited by techsledder; 05-10-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Not to throw a wrench in your decision making but, we looked at a 2002 Donzi Z22 with a 454 silent choice exhaust. It had the open bow option. It was a bad azz boat and may be a good cross between the Crownline and Baja. We ended up with a Supra Santera but the Donzi was NICE!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave_B; 05-10-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Default Boats

Go here http://crowniehq.net/ I am 1/2 owner of this site ....Approx 65% of the Members are crownline owners there are some Baja owners 10 Nordic owners which i have ...Mine is a 28 foot Nordic with a 525 Blue engine in it ...We even have a Boats for sale section ...I know A guy (brian Ritchie) in Central Arkansas who has a 225 Crown with an 8.1 in it for sale ......Anyways anybody that are into Boating come on over to the HQ there is no charge to become a Member although we do have a Donate button......

Below is my Nordic

Donzi's are NICE boats.

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by boatingbent View Post
    Go here http://crowniehq.net/ I am 1/2 owner of this site ....Approx 65% of the Members are crownline owners there are some Baja owners 10 Nordic owners which i have ...Mine is a 28 foot Nordic with a 525 Blue engine in it ...We even have a Boats for sale section ...I know A guy (brian Ritchie) in Central Arkansas who has a 225 Crown with an 8.1 in it for sale ......Anyways anybody that are into Boating come on over to the HQ there is no charge to become a Member although we do have a Donate button......

Below is my Nordic
    Thanks for the link. I joined up and have been getting some good feedback there. Nice Nordic, but a little big for an inland lake. I'll bet that's fun on some bigger water though.

Default Screen name

My screen name over there is Bent Jorgensen ...What did you sign up as

Below is my Nordic
    And I thought Nordic just built tugs.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzinolaf View Post
    Donzi's are NICE boats.
    So are Sea Rays.

Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider1 View Post
    So are Sea Rays.
    well then.so are Chris Craft

Yes they are Ezra. At blessing of the bikes watching "Born to ride video" # 5. Can't help it.

Default ...

as long as you are on the water it no matter what Boat you are on....

as long as you are on the water it no matter what Boat you are on....
    I get what your saying, but some brands are pure junk. Remember Bayliner with a force motor.

I get what your saying, but some brands are pure junk. Remember Bayliner with a force motor.
    the force was a huge pos.but that sed my mother inlaw has the 1 good one they made thhing has to be 15 yrs old and never had 1 issue but then it is on a pontoon and she has prob never had it wide open ond I have only drove it a hand full of times.still shocks me that it still runs well. my bud did buy a bayliner last yr that is actualy a 1/2 decent lake boat but that is only because it was built as a big watter boat{would not work for that lol} think it is called a discovery 25 or somthing like that kinda a sail fishing boat look.I do know of a 6 yr old bayliner 19 with a 4cyl POS junk junk junk did not make it 1 mo last yr spider cracking on the whole thing top and bottem spliting apart to the point that when hitting sm waves you can watch them move in diff directions.I know he was parking with lower unit trimed up in a heavy muskrat area {his brothers dock} last 2 yrs praying they chewed up bellows and she would sink.but what do you expect for 9g new with a trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by ezra View Post
    the force was a huge pos.but that sed my mother inlaw has the 1 good one they made thhing has to be 15 yrs old and never had 1 issue but then it is on a pontoon and she has prob never had it wide open ond I have only drove it a hand full of times.still shocks me that it still runs well. my bud did buy a bayliner last yr that is actualy a 1/2 decent lake boat but that is only because it was built as a big watter boat{would not work for that lol} think it is called a discovery 25 or somthing like that kinda a sail fishing boat look.I do know of a 6 yr old bayliner 19 with a 4cyl POS junk junk junk did not make it 1 mo last yr spider cracking on the whole thing top and bottem spliting apart to the point that when hitting sm waves you can watch them move in diff directions.I know he was parking with lower unit trimed up in a heavy muskrat area {his brothers dock} last 2 yrs praying they chewed up bellows and she would sink.but what do you expect for 9g new with a trailer?
    So you know what I am saying. 9 grand is still a lot of coin. Enough to canvas a Sea Ray anyways.

I grew up with Baja's a Force 235 a 280 Sport a Boss 232 and currently an Outlaw 25 SST. In my mind there is no other, these mentioned are not open bow boats and aside from the 232 handle rough water pretty well, the 232 has a different hull design not conducive in my opinion to rough water, out of all of them that was my least favorite. Castle Rock Lake is an inland lake but when the wind starts whipping it's rough and the 25 Outlaw is steadfast. The 235 and 280 went out on Lake Michigan multiple times and handled it great.

My two friends own a Crown Line and a Sea Ray the Crown line is a 23 ft deck boatish open bow front and the Sea Ray is a 21 ft open bow with deep hull, I have been on both a lot and I have to say both are great solid boats and neither have had any problems with the roughness of CRL.

The islander has the deeper hull like the Outlaw.

At one point Baja was owned by Brunswick which owns Bayliner, Currently Baja is owned by Fountain.
    Last edited by 1blue99srx600; 05-15-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Default Same Name

My screen name over there is Bent Jorgensen ...What did you sign up as
    I signed up there as "lookin4snow" as well. Got a lot of feedback in a very short period of time.

Blue99, I have been on CRL a couple times. Indeed it can get stirred up and rough. Thanks for the feedback.

I like the Sea Ray's as well, but am not a fan of the 6.2 l motor that they are running. I would prefer the 350 Mag or a big block.

Just another suggestion to through in if you are getting open bow. I would look at the Yamaha 242 or 240. You go 55mph and get to it fast and they are great for river running and beaching and having fun. You get more bang for your buck and the engine and maintenance up keep are far less then Baja or crownline. Just a thought.

They are a great boat in the 21-24' range.

I had a SX230 and if I was getting another boat I would be getting the 242 or 240.

Sitting here watching boats at the gas dock. I am slipped down river about 100yds from gas dock. Doing my own survey. About 10 Bajas go by for any 1 of anyother brand to get gas. These glug glug boats do have 1 factor that the rest don’t, Hot chicks. So it is a pay to play system.

Sitting here watching boats at the gas dock. I am slipped down river about 100yds from gas dock. Doing my own survey. About 10 Bajas go by for any 1 of anyother brand to get gas. These glug glug boats do have 1 factor that the rest don’t, Hot chicks. So it is a pay to play system.
    Is that going to be another one of your pet peeves non Baja Boy!

Is that going to be another one of your pet peeves non Baja Boy!
    Not really, why?

Default Glug

Glug Glug boats - that's a new one to me! But it fits.

Quote Originally Posted by lookin4snow View Post
    Glug Glug boats - that's a new one to me! But it fits.
    It covers two bases. The sound they make at idle and how they drink the gas when up on plane. Glug glug glug. They get towed back to the gas docks all the time. Sure is windy at the boat today. Finally stopped raining and went from 78 degrees to 56 with this latest storm front going thru.

We have some way cool go fast boats at the marina. I just don’t know how to get the picks from my phone to the JDee site without my laptop working.

Love the glug glug boat sound................ I'll take mine with a little whine ............

Default Stupid Fast!

I'll bet a ride in that would be a rush. But, fillin'er up with fuel would be depressing and the equivalent of a house payment

Take a good look at the Chaparral boats. Are 230 will do top speed of about 62.
    This is a 2000 and it's for sale.

I'll bet a ride in that would be a rush. But, fillin'er up with fuel would be depressing and the equivalent of a house payment
    I have a 98 Baja 232 Islander and love it. 454 with silent choice and trim tabs. 60 MPH easy. Heritage trailer, cockpit cover and full cover,dual batteries and a thumpin stereo.White with red and blue splash stripes. Named the boat "slip it in get it wet". Run the Illinois river mostly. Thinking about selling it if your interested. Kids are outgrowing the idea and fuel prices are turning me off. Stored inside all the time and serviced EVERY fall including lower unit service.

Default Crownline

I have given a verbal committment on a 2003 Crownline and will be giving it a test drive on 5/31. If everything checks out during the test drive the boat will make it's trek to Wisconsin.

Default .....

Can I ask where its coming from (Anybody we know)

Default Don't Think So

Can I ask where its coming from (Anybody we know)
    It is not anyone from Crowniehq, at least I don't think so. I had initially contacted this guy last fall from a Craigslist ad in Chicago. Yellow 2003 LPX with a 496 Mag. All the standard stuff with 180 hours and super clean. Looked at it a couple weeks ago. Now just need a test drive.

I have given a verbal committment on a 2003 Crownline and will be giving it a test drive on 5/31. If everything checks out during the test drive the boat will make it's trek to Wisconsin.
    I hope everything checks out for you. If it does have fun and post some pics.

Buy a Cobalt, you'll be glad you did

baja.jpg
    Still love my 1993 .22 Caliber. Good cruising boat and goes thru the waves well. It will do 70 but your going to have to have some bulls to ride out the chine walk to get there. I'm in Harpers Ferry Ia on the Miss. Look me up if your up that way.

go with a open bow sunsation. they got the 496 in them.