Default Why I ride "Off Trail"

2012-01-27_19-05-34_840.jpg Hard pressed to see or find this at 90 mph.

The only problem is you have to drive 24 hours to see. It is worth the drive!

Quote Originally Posted by frosty View Post
    Go one time and you will answer that question! Yes!

currently on my way home and planning next two trips out. IP in March for sure!

yes!!!!!we drive 16hr and ride 3days........yoop worth 6 or 7hr drive...yeap....is it worth 10 more hr to head west...ubetcha!!!!!

this is why I ride off trail
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider1 View Post
    Hard pressed to see or find this at 90 mph.
    Hard to find that at 10 mph in MI.

Quote Originally Posted by markf8sp View Post
    Hard to find that at 10 mph in MI.
    True. Railroad grades, stop signs, bar hopping on sleds and tresspassing on private property is not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by winter_time View Post
    Joe that looks like a picture of the crime scene! lol.

That picture looks like a dig out from someone getting stuck!.....who was the culprit, polarisrider1 or wintertime?

Stupid rocks. What all did you damage?
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

by the size of the rock, the whold sled!

Polarisrider1, all riding is good, whatever foats your boat is my moto. Mine just so happens to be offtrail either here or there but the next guy may be the trail. It's probably not worth trying to claim one is better.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post

Polarisrider1, all riding is good, whatever foats your boat is my moto. Mine just so happens to be offtrail either here or there but the next guy may be the trail. It's probably not worth trying to claim one is better.
    x2. I've never understood the point of trying to argue one is better than the other, or even more so, the point of putting the other down. I would add to the post above that not all non-Western riding involves railroad grades, bar hopping or trespassing.

Hoosier, I would agree that one isn't better than the other, but some how the grade, bar hopping, and trespassing seems to always come about when trail riding. Intentionally or not, it always some how happens. Its like at closing time of a bar, you would've never touch that when you first walked in, but by the end of the night, you end up going with home with it!!!! Hahahahah.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    Stupid rocks. What all did you damage?
    I took out the front suspension, bulk head, steering, and plastics. I did quite a bit of damage.

That picture looks like a dig out from someone getting stuck!.....who was the culprit, polarisrider1 or wintertime?
    Not I. Joe got biggest trench award the day before. 6' deep, he shoveled enough snow to fill a ten yard dump truck. It totally sucked for him to hit a large rock. But way better than a drunk hitting him head on.

well my boat floats with all riding. But we are in the western section. Boats tend to float off trail in western section.

I took out the front suspension, bulk head, steering, and plastics. I did quite a bit of damage.
    Are you all right? Hopefully just a bruised ego and sore arms from all that digging!!!!!

I have this posted under miscellanous, but maybe better asked here. Have you guys or seen anyone use that Powder Jack. It looks pretty slick, beats shoveling it seems.

I have this posted under miscellanous, but maybe better asked here. Have you guys or seen anyone use that Powder Jack. It looks pretty slick, beats shoveling it seems.
    in real life NO. But looks useful. Joe is fine.

I have and IMO don't wast your money....there is a ton of variables to a stuck sled..so not one way works every time...BUT I have learned that shoveling does nothing for a stuck sled.....you do not need to dig it out all you have to do is get it up on the snow....I watched a guy take a sky jack thing out put it together then jack sled and it slipped off jack so he had to let jack down put back on sled jack back up....WELL when it fell the second time I said hold on a sec.....got one friend and he tugged on a ski i ran gas popped it back on the snow,,,off we went total of 3min to get unstuck........one trick I use alot is tip sled on side....rev the motor up and get all the snow out of track....that snow now fills your hole and will also have some traction to it......should be able to drive out or at worst stand next to sled and lift on tunnel and give some gas......sooo many different ways to get unstuck....the least amount of time and energy is the goal so next time you find yourself stuck leave the shovel alone get a bud tug a ski etc......
    Last edited by Firecatguy; 01-30-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Firecatguy, where do I send my money for tutition?! I feel like, I've just been schooled!

I just figure it was just another gagdet, to help in the unfortunate circumstances of a stuck. Heck, it looks alot better than shoveling!

Quote Originally Posted by Firecatguy View Post
    I have and IMO don't wast your money....there is a ton of variables to a stuck sled..so not one way works every time...BUT I have learned that shoveling does nothing for a stuck sled.....you do not need to dig it out all you have to do is get it up on the snow....I watched a guy take a sky jack thing out put it together then jack sled and it slipped off jack so he had to let jack down put back on sled jack back up....WELL when it fell the second time I said hold on a sec.....got one friend and he tugged on a ski i ran gas popped it back on the snow,,,off we went total of 3min to get unstuck........one trick I use alot is tip sled on side....rev the motor up and get all the snow out of track....that snow now fills your hole and will also have some traction to it......should be able to drive out or at worst stand next to sled and lift on tunnel and give some gas......sooo many different ways to get unstuck....the least amount of time and energy is the goal so next time you find yourself stuck leave the shovel alone get a bud tug a ski etc......

while a ski tug will often suffice, there is no replacement for a shovel. A shovel does the same thing as you mention, it gets the sled level because you dig in front of the sled and right under the front of the skid and front sus. I often stomp some of the snow 2-3 ft in front of the sled to lessen the incline. You start lifting a sled back up on the snow you get tires real fast. At least a shovel allows you to take your time. Sometimes in da up with the radical terrain you loose site of your buddy and you may be alone for a while so it's up to you to be prepared to do whatever you need to do to get it unstuck. Try tugging a trenched in sled, sometimes their like unmovable. A shovel is a necessity so don't leave home without it. You need to be prepared to deal with the situation as if no one else is around and if they are around than the shovel can take a rest.

Let me be the first to tell you that you can not always get unstuck without shoveling. I spent over an hour shoveling because there was no other way to get the sled out we tried bunje's and all. If I could've got it out without shoveling I would have. My Sled was facing down hill even and it would not come out of the at least 6ft deep trench that I had made. As for the jack goes I have no idea how they work because I never used them.

Are you all right? Hopefully just a bruised ego and sore arms from all that digging!!!!!
    I am alright, I had to do all the digging the day before I did all the damage. When I hit the rock I went over the bars and I thankfully did not get hurt.

I have never once in all my years of riding snowmobiles, been in a situation where I needed a shovel to get unstuck, and I have been stuck every which way from Sunday. The bottoms of creeks, down hill nosed up against a tree, upside down at the bottom of a ravine, you name it I've stuck it there. I started riding off trail before I could even lift a sled by myself, and 90% of the time I was alone. There are many tricks to getting a sled unstuck with minimal effort. One of the biggest is learning how to not trench yourself in. You have to know your machines limits and know when to let off before you make the situation worse for yourself. The one and only reason I carry a shovel is for avalanche safety. I'll admit, there are times when it can come in handy, but it certainly is not a necessity, in my opinion.

A saw. Now that is something I never ride without!

well my boat floats with all riding. But we are in the western section. Boats tend to float off trail in western section.
    That is a good point. You guys are patting yourselves on the back but you're doing it in your own playground. LOL.

Hopefully next year I'll get back out West. Hoping to stretch the Fusion and catch a ride on the Mom bus.

I am alright, I had to do all the digging the day before I did all the damage. When I hit the rock I went over the bars and I thankfully did not get hurt.
    I hate when those boulders just jump out of nowhere and ruins your day! Must have been cruising pretty good to put you over the handlebars?! What was it, sidehilling or were in a zone of slicing and dicing through the trees?

Quote Originally Posted by snoluver1 View Post
    I have never once in all my years of riding snowmobiles, been in a situation where I needed a shovel to get unstuck, and I have been stuck every which way from Sunday. The bottoms of creeks, down hill nosed up against a tree, upside down at the bottom of a ravine, you name it I've stuck it there. I started riding off trail before I could even lift a sled by myself, and 90% of the time I was alone. There are many tricks to getting a sled unstuck with minimal effort. One of the biggest is learning how to not trench yourself in. You have to know your machines limits and know when to let off before you make the situation worse for yourself. The one and only reason I carry a shovel is for avalanche safety. I'll admit, there are times when it can come in handy, but it certainly is not a necessity, in my opinion.

could not say it better!!!!!

Wayne I will let you tell him about how I was stuck and the only real way out was to shovel wether I shoveled the snow with my hands or a shovel is another story.

Wayne I will let you tell him about how I was stuck and the only real way out was to shovel wether I shoveled the snow with my hands or a shovel is another story.
    Joe, I was completely exhausted just watching you dig. Joes rock crash was the following day after the 6' plus deep powder planting He did. Joe was heading up a nice size hill that had what appeared to be a large rock outcropping with about 2' of snow on it. It actually was a 6-8' deep wind blown hump of powder (not a cornace) just at the crest of the hill. Joe disappeared into it heading upwards. As he dig to turn around his sled with ski's aiming to the sky the hole had to be made pretty big. So Joe shoveled the snow towards the down hill side, got his sled turned around and then realized that he had to drive up out of this Pit he made in the side of the mtn. Doing this he had to drive up and out to go down hill. (we are talking major snow here) Well he still was not at the bottom of the pit he dug and he actually was stuck going down hill. So he dug some more. (I never seen snow shoot both out the front and back of the track at the same time on a stuck before.) The 3 of us who was with him could not get a snobunje down into the pit to him and we could not stop beside the pit because the hill was very steep and we would slid right on past him down hill. Pulling on the skis by hand did nothing. so.... The shovel was about the only way to get him out without a helicopter involved. Joe dug about 10 yards of snow, enough to fill a dump truck to get out of the mound.

Now Joes totalling of his sled the next day, That was on a short steep straight shot up a powder covered hill similair to the ones we all been hitting that day, he just happend to find a very pointed rock in his. Most the guys who we ride with have extra A arms for just such thing. Joes Heavy 900 hits a little harder.
    Last edited by polarisrider1; 01-30-2012 at 06:19 PM.

could not say it better!!!!!
    until I bought a shovel I never used one either so what's your point,,,,lol. The shovel is the easy way out and when riding all day I prefer to use my energy for riding, not pulling or lifting my sled especially when there is no bottom. So your telling me it's easier to lay your sled over and fill your trench in which is bogus to begin with because the skid don't hold much and you can stomp on the side of your trench easier with gravity helping you to fill in a low spot. I used to always lift the rear over to get on top but I'm not talking baby snow. I'm talking deep drifted filled in ravine bottomless snow. The simplest way out is to take your helmet off and dig for a few minutes. Stick with me boys and I'll learn ya!

until I bought a shovel I never used one either so what's your point,,,,lol. The shovel is the easy way out and when riding all day I prefer to use my energy for riding, not pulling or lifting my sled especially when there is no bottom. So your telling me it's easier to lay your sled over and fill your trench in which is bogus to begin with because the skid don't hold much and you can stomp on the side of your trench easier with gravity helping you to fill in a low spot. I used to always lift the rear over to get on top but I'm not talking baby snow. I'm talking deep drifted filled in ravine bottomless snow. The simplest way out is to take your helmet off and dig for a few minutes. Stick with me boys and I'll learn ya!
    thank you. lol

all the years I never had a shovel, I never thought I needed it either and I got out of everything I got myself into. We're just saying there is an easier way to get out than lifting and pulling and it's good to know what it is. Try one sometime and I think you'll than me for it. I use a rag, sponge and brush to wash my car but I could use a sock I suppose
    Last edited by lenny; 01-30-2012 at 06:35 PM.

all the years I never had a shovel, I never thought I needed it either and I got out of everything I got myself into. We're just saying there is an easier way to get out than lifting and pulling and it's good to know what it is. Try one sometime and I think you'll than me for it. I use a rag, sponge and brush to wash my car but I could use a sock I suppose
    I wash my truck on wednesdays it is $2.99 car wash day and you get a punch card, every tenth wash is free. The attendant is also cute. But then again I could locate a bucket and the soft brush with handle I use on my boat, locate a garden hose that is not frozen and make an ice rink in my driveway but I don't get the cute girl then. moral of the story is there are many ways to get the job done.

I wash my truck on wednesdays it is $2.99 car wash day and you get a punch card, every tenth wash is free. The attendant is also cute. But then again I could locate a bucket and the soft brush with handle I use on my boat, locate a garden hose that is not frozen and make an ice rink in my driveway but I don't get the cute girl then. moral of the story is there are many ways to get the job done.
    Or I just watch my wife in the garage wash the truck, her car, and the prius. The Prius is the best car ever, if I could only tow a sled with it!!!

I know I'm a persistent SOB often, I try to fight it but loose it from time to time. My apologies if I come on as always right and the last word, not my intentions and I can do better. I need to stick with you guys and learn something like not being rude,,,, sorry

I know I'm a persistent SOB often, I try to fight it but loose it from time to time. My apologies if I come on as always right and the last word, not my intentions and I can do better. I need to stick with you guys and learn something like not being rude,,,, sorry
    Don't beat yourself up Lenny you know we all love ya!

I usually just roll mine over to get it out. Easy and fast.

You kind of remind me of.....me----lol
    I am sure we could all learn a thing or 2 from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by snopro1 View Post
    I usually just roll mine over to get it out. Easy and fast.
    Were still talking about snowmobiling, right? Not what you did last night?!

"Bogus"Baby snow" hahahaha I guess ubetch.........crazy how i have never used my shovel yet I been stuck plenty.......not trying get all your undies in a bunch just stating how it works for me.....I guess getting unstuck is about the same as riding....the better you get at it the easier things work for ya........as for Baby snow *** would that mean?
    Last edited by Firecatguy; 01-30-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Let's keep this popcorn piss match going!!! Isn't anyone riding anymore???

As stated above, rolling the sled out gets it out on top of the snow and usually in a better direction (slightly down hill) so you can gain momentum again. This is the TK approved method and can be done almost always by yourself. It won't work if you're pinned between 2 trees, stuck in water over the bars, buried in an avy, etc. In these cases, bring out the shovel, chainsaw, box of waterproof matches, or call in da choppa...

By the way, P1, great pic to start this thread off!!
    Last edited by timner; 01-31-2012 at 10:15 AM.

I second the rolling method. I am an amateur when it comes to riding out West, but we were at Togwotee last winter. Lefty was our guide and we rolled the sleds quite a few times to get them unstuck. Almost unbelievable how well that works compared to the effort involved. Of course probably doesn't work in all situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    I second the rolling method. I am an amateur when it comes to riding out West, but we were at Togwotee last winter. Lefty was our guide and we rolled the sleds quite a few times to get them unstuck. Almost unbelievable how well that works compared to the effort involved. Of course probably doesn't work in all situations...
    Rolling works, but not recommended for a sled with tall windshield and/or mirrors. I have seen rolled sleds go all the way down the mtn. after it rolls over the rider only to get stuck again in a tree well. Every stuck has its own "best" way to get unstuck. I like the use of snobunjes (sled to sled). What a great product.

How do you roll this one out? http://snobunje.com/public/images/206.jpg

That is why I took my windshield off and don't run mirrors or hand guards. Just more crap to get in the way. I couldn't agree more on the snobunjes. We have both the sled to sled and rattler in our group. One of the best purchases a person can make to get unstuck.

Rolling works, but not recommended for a sled with tall windshield and/or mirrors. I have seen rolled sleds go all the way down the mtn. after it rolls over the rider only to get stuck again in a tree well. Every stuck has its own "best" way to get unstuck. I like the use of snobunjes (sled to sled). What a great product.

This one I would use a shovel, http://snobunje.com/public/images/219.jpg

This one was a shovel and a roll out. http://snobunje.com/public/images/213.jpg

This was 12 guys 48 beers and a dare. http://snobunje.com/public/images/211.jpg

How appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by techsledder View Post
    How appropriate.

That's a stuck? LOL I have seen that sled in other youtube videos. It is part of the "Don't quit your day job" series.

This one was a shovel and a roll out. http://snobunje.com/public/images/213.jpg
    LOL, yep, I would use a shovel also, but I am a sucky azz rider with no skills, which is why I would be in the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    LOL, yep, I would use a shovel also, but I am a sucky azz rider with no skills, which is why I would be in the same situation.
    Skylar, that pic is similair to Wintertimes stuck at Cooke. He was there for quite awhile even after getting the sled pointed in the general down hill direction.

This one I would use a shovel, http://snobunje.com/public/images/219.jpg
    come one, you heard the way, never need a shovel buddy, there's always a better way than a shovel!

come one, you heard the way, never need a shovel buddy, there's always a better way than a shovel!
    I would get the shovel out for that stuck. Pat, what's your thoughts on this one? http://snobunje.com/public/images/219.jpg

That's how Bobcats get killed!

\

Gona take an awful lot of shoveling to empty that lake!

\

Gona take an awful lot of shoveling to empty that lake!
    No shovel on that one. One guy to hold the yellow rope and eleven guys to pull on the blue rope. note the guy has color cordinated ropes. yellow for him and blue to match his 2 stroker Yamaha. Note: useing a quick syphon purchased at the snake oil booth failed to drain the lake so the rope action followed.

where your yammi i guess i would need a CRANe to get that out.......

here a cpl for you guy(my own pics not taken off a website) in this pic we came across a bunch of (spores) and the guy said I been shovoling for last hr.....note the guy in green coat.....he was with us......I got down there pulled a ski and (green coat) drove it right out.....but acording to Lenny we need to stop take all our gear off and get shovel out.......oh wait lenny you ride the real snow right?

this one they went to carve around tree and the suger snow that was 4ft under the powder gave and they sunk....what you can not see is they can not go down as it was a creek or something that just went into a big drop......no shovel just pulled a ski and got em back up on the snow and going up hill at that..........

Last edited by Firecatguy; 02-01-2012 at 07:53 AM.

By the way Lenny....that was 4 days ago........

for you shovel ready guys!!!!!why shovel? so you can see the sled? shoveling the side sled out does nothing...walking the front down does more than shoveling......there is alot time you will need a shovel.....I just lol when a guy sits there with his shovel throwing snow around with no purpose.......if you can not see the ski to tug on it why shovel? can you not just reach thru the snow and give it a tug.....I also use the sled to sled snobunjie.....hey lenny I got 2and half weeks riding the "baby snow" this year alone...how is you season going? did you get your shovel and Yammi out yet?

nope no shovel used........

still no shovel.......

again 4 days ago Lenny......

here one you will like Lenny........big ol yammi with Spores on em.....

came across this spore and he had his shovel out.....over hr my friend watched him shovel from the other side of the valley.....we drove up and guess what? WE drove it right out.....cpl of us just tugged a ski after we turned it......no shovel.......

ski tug and out....Lenny Is this Baby snow?

hey lenny when you really are stuck and your on your own......walk out the front end use your feet to knock the snow down till you touch the track......she should come right out......oh ya and tip it on its side to get all the snow out of the track first........stomping the sides down does nothing but pack snow in your track.........

Last edited by Firecatguy; 02-01-2012 at 08:44 AM.

lets just think for a sec......why you sled stuck? cuz the snow under the front end has you hung up....the track has no traction........so i ask what does shoveling out the sides and front do? make a big hole? as its the snow under the sled that has you hung up........I was just sharing the way i ride and get unstuck but Ol lenny and Pr1 seem to of taken it the wrong way......ok back to my Baby snow........
    Last edited by Firecatguy; 02-01-2012 at 07:10 AM.

ok one more....Nope no shovel.....did not even get tired just walked front out and drove out.....

bro, the only one taking it the wrong way is you. You have 233 posts with my name in it. You don't wanna dig, DON'T FRICKEN DIG! Here's the problem, your not thinking of the big picture which does include people riding by themselves, as stated. I tried to get you to understand how a shovel is a viable means of getting unstuck but you insist we should all be riding at your lever and never need a shovel. Well BRAVO to you dude "were not worthy," "were not worthy." Remember Wayne's world,,,he he he

I may ride a big heavy pig and often by myself but my shovel will be with me and I will dig myself out. Is that okay with you or do I need to write a picture book, maybe with pop-ups. When you helped the guy out in the green coat, do you think that after his shoveling you ski pulled him out that his shoveling may have contributed or do you credit yourself with the hero as you self proclaim to be.

Just relax my friend, no need for us to be like a couple of chicks insisting one is right and the other is wrong. Shovels remove snow and there are times they get a guy unstuck, can we agree on that?

ok one more....Nope no shovel.....did not even get tired just walked front out and drove out.....

I never said I shovel myself out on ever stuck. In reality I dig on the real bad one. On this picture I would stomp the snow in front of the sled as I said earlier, did you ever read that? I would stomp the around the side sides and probably dig for 30 seconds directly in the front of the skid IF is was a wet pack snow. I did to level the sled so I am not pointing up as high, I don't dig a trech around the sled. On the bad stucks I will dig and if I dig a lot I will remove my helmet.

you don't have me all worked up......and I not sure where you see your name 233times.......just point it out to ya lenny.....some guy asked about sky jack.....I state what my exsperience is with it......then i state my opinion on shovel and getting unstuck........then you go in to all this....seems on this site when you state "IMO" guys like you start with stuff like "Baby snow" and " I will learn ya"......
    the reason i like coming here is to share my experiences and maybe help some newbies out!!!!is that not what a forum is about? maybe I will just take what i learned over the years and move on as guys like you seem to have it under control.......

Last edited by Firecatguy; 02-01-2012 at 08:46 AM.

Geez, Pat, how many more good guys you trying to run off Johns site?
    Last edited by polarisrider1; 02-01-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Geez, Pat, how many more good guys you trying to run off Johns site?
    ya them oil threads of your have done wounders for this site.......whatever.......

"The Roll" for any newbies that were wondering... nice deep snow there in BC!

Default Wrangler Scott wants to know

Hi Joe,

Where did you find that beautiful rock? :-)

Scott P

Quote Originally Posted by rbailey3711 View Post
    Hi Joe,

Where did you find that beautiful rock? :-)

Scott P
    Out in cooke city. I didnt know that you had a way of signing onto johndee.com

99% of the tinme rolling the sled works or just a pull but their are incidents that are few and far between that require digging no matter how experienced you are. I roll my sled out alot and use a bunje alot.

oh ya Joe, took me a few days to link up the satilites, actually we had dial up at the hotel in the room next to the conference room for free. Just had to reset passwords. Dougs Iphone worked great, my droid not so great with the wifi they had working part time. That's why I did not mess with pictures on dial up.

you don't have me all worked up......and I not sure where you see your name 233times.......just point it out to ya lenny.....some guy asked about sky jack.....I state what my exsperience is with it......then i state my opinion on shovel and getting unstuck........then you go in to all this....seems on this site when you state "IMO" guys like you start with stuff like "Baby snow" and " I will learn ya"......
    the reason i like coming here is to share my experiences and maybe help some newbies out!!!!is that not what a forum is about? maybe I will just take what i learned over the years and move on as guys like you seem to have it under control.......
    you think sharing with newbies that they will not need a shovel is reasonable? You want to be responsible in your mind for newbies not being prepared. It's one thing for you to not need a shovel and you have earned that but would it not be better to be capable of digging out if you don't know how to prevent a major stuck? How many years did it take you to get to your level of riding? I can tell by your posts that you probably a very experienced rider and have less stucks than many. I think it is important that newbies understand that a shovel is necessary at least till they can become better skilled in not getting stuck. As we all know I am a sarcastic pri*k and contribute to the escalation of tension in posts. Lets just leave it to each having an opinion, looks like were both stuborn and getting no where. I don't have anything under control as you can see so your just as important as me or the next guy, stick around Pat. Our personalities and pride are probably more of the culprit than the actual need for a shovel, I know mine is!

What is all that white **** you guys keep getting stuck in?

A shovel isn't need but sometimes nice to have. I can't remember the last time I used it in the UP but I do carry it on deep snow days. Most of the time a tug on a ski or Sno Bungee works and you're on your way. That being said I would probably want it if I was riding alone. You can always mat the snow down with you feet but sometimes you need to get it out of the way. You can either do so and have wet gloves or use a shovel. It really is personal preference for the UP but a must for out west.

If only we had a shovel...

Quote Originally Posted by blutooth View Post
    If only we had a shovel...

now that was good!, I'd a got necked and shoveled for 1/2 hr. I have a realy light weight toro 2 stroke single stage snow blower I strap to my backpack. I'd be down to the gras in 5 mins

Well back to post #1. I don't think I would of met many of you guys and gals or would of ever rode Togwotee, snowies,Cooke, IP, Yellowstone, most of Ontario or the Mass City power lines if it wasn't for off trail riding. Oh and along with my secret spots. I was hoping to see more pics posted of scenery.

Default From Scott

Hi Joe,

This really isn't Scott, I work with him. We were here at work talking and I looked at the Western Riding Forum and found you by accident.....No pun intended.

Just glad you are okay, sleds can be replaced!!!!!

Scott says hi ..... and contact him on FB, since he doesn't have a login for JD.com. But, he can still get on there, I'll show him.

Maybe we'll run into each other in DA UP. I've got two places in White Pine.

Take care, Rick and Scott

Well back to post #1. I don't think I would of met many of you guys and gals or would of ever rode Togwotee, snowies,Cooke, IP, Yellowstone, most of Ontario or the Mass City power lines if it wasn't for off trail riding. Oh and along with my secret spots. I was hoping to see more pics posted of scenery.
    Well PR1, you got to have some more pics of you and the boys from out west, throw them up here so us deprived unworthy can gauk at your good fortunes!

2012-01-27_19-05-34_840.jpg Hard pressed to see or find this at 90 mph.
    I thought you rode off trail so no one could see you go #2?

Well PR1, you got to have some more pics of you and the boys from out west, throw them up here so us deprived unworthy can gauk at your good fortunes!
    I forgot my camera for the last trip, but the other guys took tons of pics. I did take my phone out on the last day and got three pics. I will post another and maybe the others will come forward but I doubt it. Of the 26 guys or so that went out only two of us post here. Another 2 to 3 stop by rarely to see what I am yammering about. I have hundreds of off trail pics but would love to see others.

Quote Originally Posted by doospunk View Post
    I thought you rode off trail so no one could see you go #2?
    You hanging with Olaf right now?

Here's another.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I grew up (my wife says I still haven't grown up) riding in michigan and moved "out west" 3 years ago. the mountain riding is fun and extreme. But i do miss the trail riding at times. Not many places you can squeeze the throttle and go for speed. Throttle is squeezed alot but usually when climbing and speed isn't there. Miss the warming stops, lake races, etc. Miss the flatland but wouldn't trade it for mountain riding. Shovel is an absolute must out here. If you are stuck you are going uphill and there's is no way to "pull a ski". 9 out of 10 times you are on your own. Hard to stop and help a buddy without getting stuck. Depending on grade of hill may not be safe to stop and help. Snow can be over your head too.

After getting stuck multiple times this past weekend, I have decided, while I didn't "need" a shovel to get out, I sure the heck wanted one! My upper body is much stronger than my lower body, legs, and stomping 2-3 foot snow down when one is 5'5" is tiring. LOL. I would have rathered shoveled that heavy wet snow out of my way.

Why I ride off trail. "It's so Easy!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJVVC...eature=related

another goodie:

excellent vid, I like at the very beginning where the guy dug by hand in front of the machine just a little to get that incline out the way.

Looks like I haven't learned yet