Thread: Island Park

Default Island Park

You looking for snow? Go west young man, looks like if we are going to really ride then west it is. IP; Tog., Cooke, snowies, Revey, Ontario or AK. This year is the worst ever here that I recall. Can I get a refund on my MI trail permit? Or at least pro rate it?

Wayne, Their keeping it because of all the extra boating and cycle time you got this year.

Quote Originally Posted by trebsdub View Post
    Wayne, Their keeping it because of all the extra boating and cycle time you got this year.
    Well I guess that's fair then. I did see about 6 bikes out yesterday between Grand Rapids and Grand Haven,MI. 38 and cliimbing again today.

snowies in two weeks from today

Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider1 View Post
    You looking for snow? Go west young man, looks like if we are going to really ride then west it is. IP; Tog., Cooke, snowies, Revey, Ontario or AK. This year is the worst ever here that I recall. Can I get a refund on my MI trail permit? Or at least pro rate it?
    We will be there at the same time. My group is staying at Island Park Village Resort. Might have to see if we could hook up for a day!

Snowies in 19 days, followed immediately by a week in Island Park

Quote Originally Posted by willey View Post
    We will be there at the same time. My group is staying at Island Park Village Resort. Might have to see if we could hook up for a day!
    I am staying at the same place. Sounds good. I will be riding with Smurfrider and Buckfity.
    Last edited by polarisrider1; 02-05-2012 at 08:45 PM.

[QUOTE=polarisrider1;268480]I am staying at the same place. Sounds good. I will be riding with Smurfrider and Buckfity.[
    /QUOTE]

Cool. It's my first time to the area. Have you stayed there before? Traded timeshare into IP so I am looking forward to the new area. We will have to keep in touch as the date gets closer. We are leaving the 2nd from Western Wisconsin.

[QUOTE=willey;268569]
    I am staying at the same place. Sounds good. I will be riding with Smurfrider and Buckfity.[
    /QUOTE]

Cool. It's my first time to the area. Have you stayed there before? Traded timeshare into IP so I am looking forward to the new area. We will have to keep in touch as the date gets closer. We are leaving the 2nd from Western Wisconsin.
    We will be right behind you. Our riding days are March 5-10. I have been there and can show you around, it is pretty easy. Buy your Idaho and Montana permits at the store at the entrance to the resort. They also have gas and a Poo dealer is across the street. IP is very convenient.

[QUOTE=polarisrider1;268572]
    We will be right behind you. Our riding days are March 5-10. I have been there and can show you around, it is pretty easy. Buy your Idaho and Montana permits at the store at the entrance to the resort. They also have gas and a Poo dealer is across the street. IP is very convenient.
    Awesome! I getting pretty excited for departure day. Now all we need is some fresh stuff to start falling on a regular basis out there. What units are you guys in? I believe we have 115 and 116. I was debating about getting a guide to show us around for a day, but if we can ride with your gang that would be great. You guys having Moms drop your sled off or are they staying there also?

Bill

[QUOTE=willey;268725]

Awesome! I getting pretty excited for departure day. Now all we need is some fresh stuff to start falling on a regular basis out there. What units are you guys in? I believe we have 115 and 116. I was debating about getting a guide to show us around for a day, but if we can ride with your gang that would be great. You guys having Moms drop your sled off or are they staying there also?

Bill
    We are way in the back, just look for the Semi truck and come a knocking someone will point me out for ya! If you put your best game on you may even make the movies! I suspect that additional filming for "Flatlander 2" will be taking place. 3 of us are going out to shoot one of the days for our own personal group video, something your group may want to do??? but you can hook up with us for the other days. Don't get a guide grab a map and you will be fine. The maps are totally detailed and IP is pretty much self explanitory. How many guys in your group? and how many have mtn. sleds?

[QUOTE=polarisrider1;268776]
    We are way in the back, just look for the Semi truck and come a knocking someone will point me out for ya! If you put your best game on you may even make the movies! I suspect that additional filming for "Flatlander 2" will be taking place. 3 of us are going out to shoot one of the days for our own personal group video, something your group may want to do??? but you can hook up with us for the other days. Don't get a guide grab a map and you will be fine. The maps are totally detailed and IP is pretty much self explanitory. How many guys in your group? and how many have mtn. sleds?
    I plan on doing some filming with my Go Pro and digital cameras. We have five going total. All mountain sleds (11' RMK 600, 08' D7 144, 10' Summit 800r, 11' Summit 600, 07 Summit 800r). We have one female in our group and I have a feeling her husband and her may do a day or two of trail riding, but the rest of us are ready to find the fresh stuff. We will have My 05 F150 hooked to a 27' white in-line and one in the back of my buddies truck on the way out. I think I may have meet you a couple years back at the Ride-in or maybe at Krupps. Do you know if the Poo dealer across the street rents Pros? I may want to rent one for a day!

[QUOTE=willey;268791]

I plan on doing some filming with my Go Pro and digital cameras. We have five going total. All mountain sleds (11' RMK 600, 08' D7 144, 10' Summit 800r, 11' Summit 600, 07 Summit 800r). We have one female in our group and I have a feeling her husband and her may do a day or two of trail riding, but the rest of us are ready to find the fresh stuff. We will have My 05 F150 hooked to a 27' white in-line and one in the back of my buddies truck on the way out. I think I may have meet you a couple years back at the Ride-in or maybe at Krupps. Do you know if the Poo dealer across the street rents Pros? I may want to rent one for a day!
    Yes they do rent Pros. We may have met at either location.

Do a snow dance.....they need it.
    We are in IP now with a load of 21 flatlanders from MomsMotorSports

Here are a couple of pictures of how the snow looks now.
    skinny-climb.jpg

day2-brian-stuck-web.jpg

day-1-creek-web.jpg
    Ohh, and watch out for creeks and valley's that haven't yet filled in.

Quote Originally Posted by jmom800x View Post
    Do a snow dance.....they need it.
    We are in IP now with a load of 21 flatlanders from MomsMotorSports

Here are a couple of pictures of how the snow looks now.
    skinny-climb.jpg

day2-brian-stuck-web.jpg

day-1-creek-web.jpg
    Ohh, and watch out for creeks and valley's that haven't yet filled in.
    Looks way better than at home. Is that a Turbo Poo Sid is riding?

Leaving in 16 days!!

Leaving in 16 days!!
    What he said!

Have you guys seen or heard how the conditions are out there. I can't seem to find much chatter on the area. Might be out there with a group march 3-8 staying in West Yellowstone.

I've heard the conditions are good, but they could use some fresh stuff. There are areas of powder in the trees and meadows but with lack of fresh snow its harder to find them as they are getting tracked. Looks to be some good chances of snow between now and departure to put some smiles on our faces. 14 days and I'm gone!!!

Sounds good Im lookin forward to goin too!

Quote Originally Posted by timmer72 View Post
    Sounds good Im lookin forward to goin too!
    Are you part of the willey group?

Wayne, we are a different group then timmer72.

So far we have about 8 or 9 going. I'm really diggin the ten day forecast for out there. I was wondering if you guys know about the trail permits out there... I've heard conflicting stories. Here is what i have heard.... You don't need Montana stickers if your sled is registered in a different state, but you do need Idaho stickers regardless. Not a huge deal because we will ride both, but would just like to know.

So far we have about 8 or 9 going. I'm really diggin the ten day forecast for out there. I was wondering if you guys know about the trail permits out there... I've heard conflicting stories. Here is what i have heard.... You don't need Montana stickers if your sled is registered in a different state, but you do need Idaho stickers regardless. Not a huge deal because we will ride both, but would just like to know.
    You will need both Montana and Idaho permits.

All the Snow is nice, but it has also raised the Avalanche danger, so be careful.

Thanks guys. I bet we will be avoiding many suspect looking slopes. Especially with all the wind going on now.

We were out in yellowstone a week ago and you could ride everywhere, could have used more powder, didn't snow the whole week out there

Sounds like things have changed. New snow on top of a crust with sugar snow under is not my friend. Beacons, shovels, probes the whole shooting match for the guys I ride with. Walkie talkies are very important too. IP leaving on this coming Saturday morning. Clutching party tonight at the shop. Wohoo!

Wayne, what kind of radios do you use? You interested im doing a little beacon workshop to help myself and my partners see and understand how they work? I plan on doing a little dry run somewhere so everyone knows how they work and it might be nice to have some experienced help!!!

Wayne, what kind of radios do you use? You interested im doing a little beacon workshop to help myself and my partners see and understand how they work? I plan on doing a little dry run somewhere so everyone knows how they work and it might be nice to have some experienced help!!!
    Heck my radios are nothing fancy, bought them at a truck stop on the way out a couple years back. just need them with a few channels. We all set them on the same channel and away we go after testing them. We can do a Beacon Bury and recover, That would be a good idea. We got a guy going who has not been out in 5 years and he could also use the refresh. We are leaving Sat. Morning now do to scheduling conflicts. hope to be riding Sunday afternoon. thru friday. I got 3 of us going out. we will be in the very back row at the very back of the development. Look for the Michiana snowmobile club trailer, it has a huge club logo on it with flags and such. we are staying next door to them. They are a good group out of South Bend area, rode with them in the past at IP and Cooke. We will hang with them at night for toddies and dinner but will ride in our own small group during the day. You guys can tag along with us. I will help you with the maps but our favorite spots I will need to blindfold you! lol.
    Last edited by polarisrider1; 02-26-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Snotel says 46" of snow at IP that is a 6" gain in 2 days.

We have a bunch of motorola two ways that should work. Beacon class sounds awesome! Unit 15 and 16 I believe for us. Secret spots are cool with me. Hopefully we will have some nice face shots pow so blindfolds won't be necessary.

We have a bunch of motorola two ways that should work. Beacon class sounds awesome! Unit 15 and 16 I believe for us. Secret spots are cool with me. Hopefully we will have some nice face shots pow so blindfolds won't be necessary.
    Make sure you look us up. We will get there sometime Sunday it appears for now. Not sure what unit 15 or 16 is? We have an entire house. look for the 4 place trailer with the big Eagle on it.

Hey, polarisrider1, Do you know of any areas out there we should avoid because of slides? We will be riding out of West every day. Also wondering if they sometimes shut certain trails down because of slide areas? Heard Lionhead and Big Sky trail can have some suspect areas....Thanks

Hey, polarisrider1, Do you know of any areas out there we should avoid because of slides? We will be riding out of West every day. Also wondering if they sometimes shut certain trails down because of slide areas? Heard Lionhead and Big Sky trail can have some suspect areas....Thanks
    There are slide areas a plenty this year. I do not think a trail would close because of a suspected slide area. (they would have to close most everything) Lionhead gets ripped to shreads from the West Yellowstone crowd. Two top is getting the same way. I have not rode the Big sky trail. If you are riding trails, you will have plenty to ride. If off trail, I can not disclose specifics of where I ride.

Thanks for the input. We will probably be doin some trail and off trail.. Yeah I know not to pry for good spots... those are sacred!... Have fun out there!

Thanks for the input. We will probably be doin some trail and off trail.. Yeah I know not to pry for good spots... those are sacred!... Have fun out there!
    We are out of here at 4 am saturday morning.

3 am. Getting antzy! Looks like snow next two days and then warming up into high thirtys, low forties. Spring riding in t shirts!

In route as I type! Snowing and blowing in fargo. See you out there Wayne!

In route as I type! Snowing and blowing in fargo. See you out there Wayne!
    leaving in five hours and I can't sleep. Lol. See you guys Sunday morning or so.

Roads west of Fargo are horrible. Drive safe.

Roads west of Fargo are horrible. Drive safe.
    thank you. We are taking 80 over to Omaha then up to 90 to 94. In chicago currently.

Almost to Dickinson. Smooth sailing now!

Forty six degrees in Bozema Montana this morning. Balmy.

52 when we went through. The snow is here and alot of it.

52 when we went through. The snow is here and alot of it.
    we rolled in before daylight. Sleds should be here at noon. Insane snow. Willey we are at the very back south end of resort. Snow must be 8-9 ft. Deep at lodge. We got a 60" tv to catch the news on. Sweet, we have no plans to turn it on. Lol.

Willey, If you want hook up with us in the am. We are heading to_______ _______ I you guys want to go. Mike had a voltage regulator go today so we cut it short to trail ride down to MOUNTAIN MAYHEM to get him parts. Fixed and ready to roll.

Foggy day so stayed below 7500' for visibility. Great riding no shortage of snow.
    willey, call me or look us up after breakfast if you want to go with us.
    Last edited by polarisrider1; 03-04-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Don't get lost up on Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by longtrack View Post
    Don't get lost up on Jefferson
    I heard if you get stuck on Mt. Jefferson your sled stays until spring. Very high avy danger. I seen some areas that have slid and not all that steep. We are having a great time. Two top yesterday. Just stayed down lower.

Wintertime, hit our favorites today, buckfifty had a run away sled. Nice stout pine tree caught it. Minimal damage. Shotgun gas/store/post office is closed and up for sale. I have an ice pack on left femor bone. Not broke but internal damages lol. Ice packing most of all left leg. Perfecting my "J" turns. Did not see any sheep cloning today. Lol but we were riding back side of Jefferson when I got bucked off.
    Last edited by polarisrider1; 03-06-2012 at 12:03 AM.

100_0566.jpgPm sent for tomorrow!!!

Big time snowing today. Rode to west yellowstone for pizza. Got in some good off trail but had to stick tight in the trees. Snow coach in pic one. Here is Willey, not sure how he got stuck here?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hesitation and a little exhaustion is my only excuse. Awesome day of riding! Snowed hard all day. Can't wait to see what all the fresh stuff has in store for tomorrow.

Took my budies dragon down to Mountain Mayhem Motorsports to have the steering hop welded this afternoon. Awesome guys and what a professional job for a great price. Look them up if you ever need anything while in IP!!!

1_photo.jpgphoto.jpgYesterdays riding group. Me at the drag race run down on the level looking for challengers.
    Last edited by polarisrider1; 03-07-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Sixty degrees back in Michigan and minus eight here in Idaho. What a difference. Suppose to warm up to thirty today. Moving kinda slow today. Going to run the new guys thru the gauntlet today if I can get them off the couch.

Another good day!

More pics

More pics

Good day of riding today! Lots of fresh snow to be found especially in the trees. Got to ride a 12' Pro with a Silber Turbo. Can you say crazy stupid amount of power!!! Thanks to the boys at Silber for the experience. Now I really want a Pro and a turbo.GEDC0115.jpgGEDC0034.jpg

Wow, the snow looks good out there! Did they say how much for the turbo?

Default twisted

if you need to ask it's too much

If I handed him $12000 he would have filled it with fluids and loaded it in the trailer for me. Not bad for a setup which has been put together by the team at Silber. Wife said no!

Kit by itself was $4700.

That's pretty good! I've always heard turbos are around $5,000, so $12,000 is a pretty good price! Turbo kit at $4,700 makes the sled $7,300, very reasonable. Keep working on the wife, you never know. Otherwise a 2013 Pro with belt drive and add the turbo later.

Me on my DREAM RIDE!!!

Me on my DREAM RIDE!!!
    Just Poo it! Tell her we corupted you and have her call me. I deal with housewives on a daily bases. We will look for you again today..If I can get TEAM CROWN ROYAL moving.

Can you say INCREDIBLE SNOW! I don't have any pics to post but the ones you guys posted look very familiar. Just got home yesterday. The ride on saturday was among the most powder i have ever been in. With all the variety of riding out there, I would call this one of the best areas in the west. Stayed at the Comfort inn in West. Very nice and very reasonably priced too. Locals were very helpful also.

Tetons in back. Pic 2 Buckfifity, smurfrider and I.

More pics, bare with I am doing this on a phone in a hot tub.

More pics, bare with I am doing this on a phone in a hot tub.
    No thanks, I'm just fine looking at these with my clothes on. Great pics though!

More pics

Pics

What sleds do you guys ride out there? Are you taking you own out? How do you think a 2012 Ski-Doo Renegade 1200 with a 16x137x1.25 would do? I would like to go out next year but I really don't want to rent if I can trailer my own sled.

Quote Originally Posted by mnuser View Post
    What sleds do you guys ride out there? Are you taking you own out? How do you think a 2012 Ski-Doo Renegade 1200 with a 16x137x1.25 would do? I would like to go out next year but I really don't want to rent if I can trailer my own sled.
    not sure what you need, depends on your plans.
    Last edited by polarisrider1; 03-09-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Rent a Pro or a Summit! You won't regret spending the money. Light weight an tons of power.

Heading home in the morning. Great trip. Awesome area. Thanks Wayne! We will ride again for sure. Give a shout to Doug and Mike! You guys are great.

Rent a Pro or a Summit! You won't regret spending the money. Light weight an tons of power.

Heading home in the morning. Great trip. Awesome area. Thanks Wayne! We will ride again for sure. Give a shout to Doug and Mike! You guys are great.
    We had a great time with you guys! Next year let's do Cooke City or ten mile???? Keep in touch. We are out of here in the morning also.

Bill when you get some video together can you get me a link. Here's another pic I found. Rider wishes to remain anonymous.

Wow, Thats a good stuck. How long to get that out ?

Quote Originally Posted by 7707 View Post
    Wow, Thats a good stuck. How long to get that out ?
    Not sure of all the details but the guys said it took five of them, two block and tackles and several snobunjes. They looked tired at dinner. Willey now you know why we built a bridge. The old Canadian trapper taught well.
    Last edited by polarisrider1; 03-10-2012 at 12:55 AM.

My last stuck. Not nearly has bad as the unknown rider. Glad I had my tech vest on!

My last stuck. Not nearly has bad as the unknown rider. Glad I had my tech vest on!
    Well we know the unknown rider who wishes to remain "unknown". His wish.

Ouchie, looks like a bar re-adjustment maneuver .

Yes it was. Glad I had my vest on!

Snowing in West yellowstone!!!! 5/26/12 check out the snow cams

And its 96 degrees here today! Crazy for sure weather were having! It looks like they got almost 6", for what i seen on my fb from sled solutions.
    Last edited by frosty; 06-19-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Next winter looking at Cooke City and Lava mtn. Couple of my favorites. I can not deal with this heat.

Wayne when are you thinking about Lava? I might be interested and I think I can talk my Brother-n-law and his buddy into going! Maybe Cooke City would be an option too.

Wayne when are you thinking about Lava? I might be interested and I think I can talk my Brother-n-law and his buddy into going! Maybe Cooke City would be an option too.
    Cooke City around Jan. 8th and Lava is still flexible, thinking around end of feb. or first part of March.

Lava might be our better option! We will keep in touch. Enjoy your summer. Mine just got more exciting with the Birth of my second child. Happy and healthy boy. I gotta work on getting a 120 for my daughter. Im gonna need someone to dig my *** out as the years pass by! LOL.

Lava might be our better option! We will keep in touch. Enjoy your summer. Mine just got more exciting with the Birth of my second child. Happy and healthy boy. I gotta work on getting a 120 for my daughter. Im gonna need someone to dig my *** out as the years pass by! LOL.
    I will keep you in the loop, IP was fun! I do know my way around Lava Mtn./Brooks lake area. Cooke City is my fav!!! steep and deep! Congrats on the new addition!