Results 1 to 38 of 38
  1. #1

    Default How much tip is enough for a guide?

    We are heading out to Tog in March and want to know how much should we tip the guide if we are going to sled for three days?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    S.C.F. Wisconsin
    Posts
    662

    Default

    I have heard most do $25/rider/day but it depends upon the service you receive as well. I have never heard a complaint! Have fun and hope for some fresh!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigans gold coast.
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    we do $100 for 5 days each guy. For 3 days I would do $60-$75 each guy. I have only done 5-6 days at a time at Tog. You can request certain Guides. No garantees. Carter to learn. Noah to do some lumber jacking and sidehilling to the top, Brent to play in the meadows, Justin for a "hold on and here we go" adventure, Chad (not sure if he is still around) willow and creek riding. Never rode with "Lefty", Matt Binon is retired from Tog. but still a favorite. not sure if any new guys this year?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigans gold coast.
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    Forgot to mention. The guides do earn their keep. They will bring you and your sled home. And you will be grinning!

  5. #5

    Default

    Thanks guys, it sounds like $25 per day per guy is good. I am looking forward to this trip. Appreciate all the help.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    151

    Default

    First off....Personally, I think if you tip $25.00, you are being too cheap. Think about this....you go out to dinner, order a bottle of wine, bill is $100.00 and you tip $20.00. That is for maybe 1.5 hours of "service". Now go snowmobiling out west...The guide is with you from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm. The first 10 minutes into the ride you get stuck and he helps dig you out. Then he helps you again and again. You try to do it on your own, but have no idea what you are doing. He starts giving you pointers on how to do this and that. You are smiling from ear to ear the whole time. 8 hours later he has got you un-stuck X number of times. Taken you to the freshest powder ever.....trust me, he has earned more the $25.00 for the day.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigans gold coast.
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pez View Post
    First off....Personally, I think if you tip $25.00, you are being too cheap. Think about this....you go out to dinner, order a bottle of wine, bill is $100.00 and you tip $20.00. That is for maybe 1.5 hours of "service". Now go snowmobiling out west...The guide is with you from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm. The first 10 minutes into the ride you get stuck and he helps dig you out. Then he helps you again and again. You try to do it on your own, but have no idea what you are doing. He starts giving you pointers on how to do this and that. You are smiling from ear to ear the whole time. 8 hours later he has got you un-stuck X number of times. Taken you to the freshest powder ever.....trust me, he has earned more the $25.00 for the day.
    True, but the guide is also paid from the lodge. I will guide you and your group all day every day for $25 per head plus peanut wages. The sleds are provided and so is their gas and oil. These guys do earn their money and nothing against them but I will guide a group around for free most the time and provide everything on my own. At Togwotee, I highly recommend a guide. At Cooke and IP, truck me out and I will show you around. The guides truly earn their keep with newbies and trucking around the "Huxtables". Give them some seasoned riders and they are also having a ball, sledding and collecting money. Most groups out of Tog. run with about 8 guys in a group. If tipping is what one states, then the guide is making $200 a day in tips plus wages. No disrespect to the guides, they are worth it. Pez, make note, the guide is not pulling out everyone all the time, depends on the group. Heck I have pulled on Carters ski a time or two.

  8. #8

    Default

    I guess we will have to see how many times we get stuck. Man now I am really up in the air on how much to give, so I guess it is safe to say at least 25 per man and if we are a pain in the rear end it may go up. I just want to have fun and show my appreciation to the guide.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chicagosledder View Post
    I guess we will have to see how many times we get stuck. Man now I am really up in the air on how much to give, so I guess it is safe to say at least 25 per man and if we are a pain in the rear end it may go up. I just want to have fun and show my appreciation to the guide.
    We have always done $25 a guy, per day. The last time we were out we had 9 in our group from Sunday till Friday. 6 days, 9 guys, $25 per guy= $1350.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    S.C.F. Wisconsin
    Posts
    662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    We have always done $25 a guy, per day. The last time we were out we had 9 in our group from Sunday till Friday. 6 days, 9 guys, $25 per guy= $1350.
    And they are working. I wish I could ride everyday in the best place on earth for my day job.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider1 View Post
    True, but the guide is also paid from the lodge. I will guide you and your group all day every day for $25 per head plus peanut wages. The sleds are provided and so is their gas and oil. These guys do earn their money and nothing against them but I will guide a group around for free most the time and provide everything on my own. At Togwotee, I highly recommend a guide. At Cooke and IP, truck me out and I will show you around. The guides truly earn their keep with newbies and trucking around the "Huxtables". Give them some seasoned riders and they are also having a ball, sledding and collecting money. Most groups out of Tog. run with about 8 guys in a group. If tipping is what one states, then the guide is making $200 a day in tips plus wages. No disrespect to the guides, they are worth it. Pez, make note, the guide is not pulling out everyone all the time, depends on the group. Heck I have pulled on Carters ski a time or two.
    I guess it is a personal choice then. I have only been there twice and was extremely grateful and happy to have them. Don't forget, wait staff get hourly wages too. There are also people who don't tip at all and sometimes the groups are just the guide and one or two people. It is true, there are seasoned riders that go and I am sure the guide just guides and has a blast with them. (Skylar ) But I am not there yet. I would say see what work they do for you and tip accordingly.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    il
    Posts
    1,472

    Default

    $25 a head per day plus an hourly wage and a sled, all to go out and have fun every day??
    I think I need to get into this guiding racket! Heck I'll do it for 20 a head and make up the difference with volume-LOL.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    McMillan, MI
    Posts
    156

    Default

    We did $20 per head, but that was 6 yrs ago...man I need to go back there. Been too long.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnetonka MN
    Posts
    395

    Default

    Give what you think they are worth!!! Just like your waiter. But before you do, think about how much you have invested in your trip (sleds, cars, vacation days, clothing, family/friend time) and then compare it to the time you had with the group and guide. I'm sure a $100 tip for a week's worth of guiding doesn't even come close to a good enough tip. A good guide can make a $4K trip feel like the best vacation you have ever been on and that is where the tip should be reflected. FYI- I think the NORM is $25/day/person and then add more for the experinece level you had.
    Last edited by doo_dr; 02-16-2012 at 10:11 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    S.C.F. Wisconsin
    Posts
    662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doo_dr View Post
    Give what you think they are worth!!! Just like your waiter. But before you do, think about how much you have invested in your trip (sleds, cars, vacation days, clothing, family/friend time) and then compare it to the time you had with the group and guide. I'm sure a $100 tip for a week's worth of guiding doesn't even come close to a good enough tip. A good guide can make a $4K trip feel like the best vacation you have ever been on and that is where the tip should be reflected. FYI- I think the NORM is $25/day/person and then add more for the experinece level you had.
    Very good point! I think the main thing is to tip according to your experience and what your pocket book allows. I bartend and do appreciate good tippers and work hard to get good tips. Pays for this addiction I call snowmobiling!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    3,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willey View Post
    Very good point! I think the main thing is to tip according to your experience and what your pocket book allows. I bartend and do appreciate good tippers and work hard to get good tips. Pays for this addiction I call snowmobiling!
    What bar do you work at? My wife used to live in Milltown and I still own a house there. We talked about that at the Mosquito during the Ride In fundraiser.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigans gold coast.
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mspease View Post
    What bar do you work at? My wife used to live in Milltown and I still own a house there. We talked about that at the Mosquito during the Ride In fundraiser.
    just love it when the mods take us off topic. (Ya, it's like the pot calling the kettle black) lol. Willey, have no fear I will guiide you around IP for free. Just three in my main group and we mix it up with adding others. Anyways, the guides are worth it at Tog. And buy them a drink at Happy hour. It is great to visit with them at the end of the day in the big "social room" and gleen knowledge and build friendships.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    3,029

    Default

    I'm sorry PR1, how dare I? I know you have never ever gone off topic! LMAO

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigans gold coast.
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mspease View Post
    I'm sorry PR1, how dare I? I know you have never ever gone off topic! LMAO
    just had too!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    S.C.F. Wisconsin
    Posts
    662

    Default

    I work at Mckenzie Lanes in Centuria on weekends here and there. I live just a block from Hacks, Wise Guys and Shafers! 3 bars within walking distance.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Marshfield, WI
    Posts
    100

    Default

    A little off topic (though not that bad)....

    As a general rule what sort of $'s would I be talking to go to Togwotee for 4-5 days, fly in, get a ride to the lodge, rent a sled, and get a guide? I'm just looking for ballpark numbers.

    Thanks!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnetonka MN
    Posts
    395

    Default

    Excluding your air fare, they have the rates right on the website. They do pick up and delivery to the airport. You can choose which sled you want to ride. You get your meals, happy hour, and room. Guide included!! Fully inclusive pkg.
    Last edited by doo_dr; 02-17-2012 at 08:55 AM.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SE WI
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Probably around 350-400/day for Winter package and Rental of M8 or Rmk 800. As stated this includes lodging, transfers from airport, guide, happy hour(5-6:30 including beer/rails and appetizers), buffet breakfast and dinner off the menu.

    This does not include airfare, tips, or lunch on the mountain.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outstanding in my field.
    Posts
    801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pfeifest View Post
    A little off topic (though not that bad)....

    As a general rule what sort of $'s would I be talking to go to Togwotee for 4-5 days, fly in, get a ride to the lodge, rent a sled, and get a guide? I'm just looking for ballpark numbers.

    Thanks!
    Best to call the Lodge front desk at (307)543-2847 to get a quote for the "Classic Winter Package" in one of their lodge rooms.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Freeland MI
    Posts
    69

    Default

    We drive out with sleds in tow, get a cabin (6nights) without meal plan, eat some in the cabin some at the bar, ride for 5 days with guide for around $1200 per person. A sled will add around $200-220 a day.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    still cuttin more wood
    Posts
    1,035

    Default ride it like ya stole it

    220$ a day is cheap i wouldn't let you ride mine for that, lol

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    silver lake MI
    Posts
    28

    Default

    sat to sat per person in a cabin full winter package special $1.113.00 riding are own sleds with guide breakfast and dinner.

  28. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pfeifest View Post
    A little off topic (though not that bad)....

    As a general rule what sort of $'s would I be talking to go to Togwotee for 4-5 days, fly in, get a ride to the lodge, rent a sled, and get a guide? I'm just looking for ballpark numbers.

    Thanks!
    Just to ket you know we paid around $1800 which included the winter package with the sled rentals and the airfare which was $549 roundtrip from O' Hare in Chicago. I have no idea where you live so the airfarre obviously changes daily.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    SW MN
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Okay, lets get this train back on it's track (not off topic). I would NEVER go into the mountains without a guide...and I consider myself an experienced rider. Flatland riding--looking at maps and sensing direction is a different story. I would never "hire" a person that has been to the mountains once or twice and "now knows his way around". If you have ever been stranded in the mountains your attitude will change in a hurry. (I have been even with a "guide"--who by the way is no longer a guide) Out of gas at "dark 30". This is not a poor man's sport. If you are trying to save a nickel, perhaps you should find a different sport. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Think of it this way. You spend $40,000 + on a tow vehicle, $12,000 on a mountain sled, trailer from $2000 to $12,000...time off work, and on and on. You get the picture. Now here comes the last piece of the puzzle...or where the rubber hits the road. You are asking (hiring) a total stranger to take you out in the back country and show you untouched powder, awesome side-hills, boondocking through the trees and straight up hill climbs and hopefully bring you back in one piece without running out of gas. He is expected to pay attention to the weather, snow conditions, avalanche danger, try to find great snow where no one else has been and be back before dark. It's not just pull the rope and follow me. A good guide will push you to your limits (& then a little more--if you are not being challenged, you will never become a better rider.) On top of that if you are a willing learner, he will give you tips, pointers and advice on how to become a better rider. I would rather take advice from an average joe professional guide that rides 120-150 days a year in the mountains than the less than 1% of the persons that have won hillclimb or snow-cross events that I will never compete in and they charge $300 a day for these "lessons". With a guide you are getting these tips for "free". You may think the guide is there just to get you unstuck...you are WRONG. He will tell you what you did wrong so you don't get stuck the next time. I expect to get stuck at least 2 times a day---if I'm not, then the conditions are not very good. I don't care who's sled I help pull out as long as they are willing to learn from what they did wrong and are appreciative. If they are not, then I won't help them again.

    If you are not willing to tip or are a tightwad or cheapskate, that thinks "it's all about me" I can tell you that you get what you pay for. I know people like that and I no longer ride with them. The professional guides are worth their weight in gold. Look here, the first time in the mountains if you either stiff your guide or don't pay him very much he will remember and will probably pass that information on to the other guides. They have a very good memory--they have to in order to remember all the good "honey holes". The next time you go out the memory bank gets turned back on and if you didn't tip very well, don't be surprised if all of a sudden you are just taken to so-so riding areas. But you know there is better stuff out there. Maybe you should have tipped better. After all, you only get one chance to make a first impression.

    In my opinion, $25 a day is way too cheap...unless you aren't planning on going back again and having the time of your life. A good guide will also make sure that EVERYONE in the group is having a good time. It takes a gifted person to challenge a group of riders all with different riding abilities all in the same day and have everyone come home with a smile on their face. And looking forward to the next time they can ride in the mountains. THAT is what I base my tip on--if I had an awesome riding experience, I compensate my guide accordingly. If the average tip is $25 per person per day, I guess that I am better than the average tipper. I know that I get to go to the best places to ride that are available. NO QUESTION. PERIOD.

    That's my 1 1/2 cents worth. REMEMBER, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!
    Flatland Jack

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Neillsville, Wisconsin
    Posts
    119

    Default

    What bar do you work at? My wife used to live in Milltown and I still own a house there. We talked about that at the Mosquito during the Ride In fundraiser.


    Reply Reply With Quote

    Funny...my wife also lived in Milltown for 10 yrs. or so before we got married......we go up there a couple times a year to visit friends.....Wiseguys, Hacks...both great places!

    We've been out to Line Shack with friends from Milltown and Balsam Lake....awesome country. Need to get back there soon!

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    S.C.F. Wisconsin
    Posts
    662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitehorse View Post
    What bar do you work at? My wife used to live in Milltown and I still own a house there. We talked about that at the Mosquito during the Ride In fundraiser.


    Reply Reply With Quote

    Funny...my wife also lived in Milltown for 10 yrs. or so before we got married......we go up there a couple times a year to visit friends.....Wiseguys, Hacks...both great places!

    We've been out to Line Shack with friends from Milltown and Balsam Lake....awesome country. Need to get back there soon!
    Small World! My uncle is out in Dubois as we speak and I leave for Island Park next Friday.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Neillsville, Wisconsin
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willey View Post
    Small World! My uncle is out in Dubois as we speak and I leave for Island Park next Friday.
    Have fun....looks like they are getting snow out there as we speak!

  33. #33

    Default

    To Flatland Jack I along with the rest of us that are going are by no means cheapskates. I spoke to a guide on here via pm and I am not going to mention his or her name but I was just asking for a little guideline on what to tip and I received my answer. Thanks for all the input from you guys. I hope we have a blast as it is our first time.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigans gold coast.
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chicagosledder View Post
    To Flatland Jack I along with the rest of us that are going are by no means cheapskates. I spoke to a guide on here via pm and I am not going to mention his or her name but I was just asking for a little guideline on what to tip and I received my answer. Thanks for all the input from you guys. I hope we have a blast as it is our first time.
    Have a great time and report back!!!

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    S.C.F. Wisconsin
    Posts
    662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitehorse View Post
    Have fun....looks like they are getting snow out there as we speak!
    Will Do!

    PR1, packed and ready?

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Michigans gold coast.
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willey View Post
    Will Do!

    PR1, packed and ready?
    Just have to change clutch weights (takes 20 min.). Sleds are loaded, clothes are packed. Working out final travel logistics, but pretty much all set. 10 days to launch.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    S.C.F. Wisconsin
    Posts
    662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider1 View Post
    Just have to change clutch weights (takes 20 min.). Sleds are loaded, clothes are packed. Working out final travel logistics, but pretty much all set. 10 days to launch.
    Right on! I gotta pull pin weights and change gears Friday. Loading the trailer Saturday morning. We should be departing around 4:30 in the afternoon Friday from the Twin Cities.

  38. #38

    Default

    I have been watching the weather and they are getting dumped on with near white out conditions. One report said the wind gusts may be as high as 90 mph. It sounds like polarisrider is going to beat us out there so I am sure he will report back. I will let everyone know how it is as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Adsense

» September 2014

S M T W T F S
31 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 1234

» Stats

Members: 18,418
Threads: 27,218
Posts: 279,749

» Online Users: 136

17 members and 119 guests
Most users ever online was 533, 01-23-2012 at 02:10 PM.

» Today's Birthdays

None
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1