Default about Time Mich!!!!

this will bring alot people to the UP that would not go before the helmet law!!!!!Choice its what we are all about......

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...-of-helmet-law

Pat, not to sure if the Gov. Is all to big on this idea. I will still wear a helmet. It keeps all my starting to gray hair in place.

Everything I've read says he would consider signing it. He did say earlier that he wanted as part of a broad overhaul of the Michigan no fault insurance program.

Hope it goes thru....any time table for this?

I like the idea of having the choice. I do wear helmets when I ride but if I wanted to ride with ou it should be my decision.

Any one know what they are looking to change with the no fault bs insurance?

Lets repeal the seatbelt revenue generator too. Just got a seatbelt ticket last week on a dirt road doing 20mph. I was picking up trash on the side of the road as I went along getting in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by snocrazy View Post
    I like the idea of having the choice. I do wear helmets when I ride but if I wanted to ride with ou it should be my decision.

Any one know what they are looking to change with the no fault bs insurance?

Lets repeal the seatbelt revenue generator too. Just got a seatbelt ticket last week on a dirt road doing 20mph. I was picking up trash on the side of the road as I went along getting in and out.
    this is the issue here I do not agree with the writer of this as my feeling are if you are hit by a car YEAP they should be liable for your medical bills and even a settlment for the rest your life......jeez lets just give people the right to run over bikers and get away with not paying attention!!!but any ways this is the isssue.......

"Last I read, Snyder will sign it if it's tied to reform of Michigan's unlimited medical coverage and that still hasn't changed so don't hold your breath. I also am against it if they don't get rid of the unlimited medical. Did you know, in Michigan, if a biker is in an accident with an automobile, regardless of who's at fault, the automobile's insurance pays the medical bills and rehabilitation for the rest of that persons life if necessary? And EVERY driver and rider in Michigan pays $145 per year, per vehicle, into the Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association to pay for all this unlimited medical coverage which is going up to $175 on July 1st. Now if you want to ride without a helmet, I don't care. But I do care if I have contribute to pay the lifetime medical bills if you survive. Michigan is the only state in the United States, probably in the world, that has unlimited coverage."

I don't want to stir anything up, just looking for your personal stance on this issue.

I don't ride bikes and, really, have never had an interest in it. I do know that, if I rode, I wouldn't leave the driveway without a helmet. I can understand the issue of it should be your choice and all that but, seriously, why would you want to take the chance of serious injury if something bad were to happen?

It just seems to be the opposite of all the helmet, Tekvest, etc conversations that go on regarding sledding on this site by alot of the same people.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_B View Post
    I don't want to stir anything up, just looking for your personal stance on this issue.

I don't ride bikes and, really, have never had an interest in it. I do know that, if I rode, I wouldn't leave the driveway without a helmet. I can understand the issue of it should be your choice and all that but, seriously, why would you want to take the chance of serious injury if something bad were to happen?

It just seems to be the opposite of all the helmet, Tekvest, etc conversations that go on regarding sledding on this site by alot of the same people.

Dave
    Great question DaveB, I don't ride the street anymore and never rode without a helmet when I did.

I'm curious to the answers also on this subject, how many wear all the gear on a sled but not on your bikes and why? Just seems strange to worry about wearing all the stuff on a sled and not on the street where you have cars etc. etc.

Not looking for an argument either and it's your choice to make.
    Have fun, be safe and enjoy your rides,
    nytro

personal preference

Interesting topic, I am a helmet wearer and I am probably one that would wish everyone would wear one....But I do know that the law does effect tourism and the U.P. really needs all the tourism it can get. Many bikers stop at the line and head to another state because of this law. I had a conversation with Sally from Henry's in Rockland just last night about this and tourism was the main thing, she is hoping the law changes along with other business up here just because it will bring more people. Funny safety was never mentioned, just tourism

It's a riders choice.
    We were helmets all the time because we do long distance trips.
    We have the J&M communicaters and listen to the radio, I Pod, talk to others, etc.

Giving the people a choice is fine, but if you choose to go without a helmet then you should be the only one responsible for your medical bills in the event of a crash. No need to put the burden on others, much less your family & friends.

Hard to believe with the exellent technology in helmets and riding gear today that anyone would care to ride w/o a helmet and/or with only a t-shirt & blue jeans.

Live to ride!!

so just so I have this straight.....you choose to not wear a helmet!!!!.....some **** nose decides txt on his phone "more important than a riders life" and runs a red light and runs said biker down......so said bike should be responsable for his medical bills cuz he had no helmet on?

I do find it funny how sum think a helmet is a save all!!!!!like a get out jail free card or something......

I have had the don't wear one or wear one thread This thread was more about the support of said bill!!!!!

this is the info we have shared thru my club and we back our fellow riders from Mich who choose to make this an CHOICE not a law...............

"" Michigans Helmet Choice Bill ( SB291) passed the Senate today, no Governor Rick Snyder needs to sign it so our Michigan Bro's can be helmet free! call Go.Rick Snyder and ask him to sign this into law 517-335-7858""Please Call and tell Him how you feel!!!

I really like to know who does or does not ride when they share their opinion on this thread......
    Last edited by Firecatguy; 03-31-2012 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firecatguy View Post
    so just so I have this straight.....you choose to not wear a helmet!!!!.....some **** nose decides txt on his phone "more important than a riders life" and runs a red light and runs said biker down......so said bike should be responsable for his medical bills cuz he had no helmet on?

I do find it funny how sum think a helmet is a save all!!!!!like a get out jail free card or something......

You're right in that scenario that the person who "ran said biker down" should be held responsible.
    I should have clarified to say in a single vehicle accident.

I agree that a helmet is not a save-all, BUT it definately can help minimize injuries in most crashes.

I ride with protective gear as I hear & read that head injuries, road rash and other injuries really suck!
    Last edited by xcsp; 04-01-2012 at 12:45 AM.

mich ins deal does not cover a one vehicle accident

From Michigan Motorcycle Attorneys Website.. http://www.motorcyclelawyermichigan.com/11.html

"In order for anyone to be entitled to No-Fault Benefits (medical bills paid for life, 85% of your wage loss *, $20.00 a day for house hold chores, medical mileage, and attendant care) a "motor vehicle" must be "involved" in the crash. A "motorcycle" is not a "motor vehicle" as defined by Michigan's No-Fault Law. This is significant because a biker often is injured when there is not "motor vehicle" involved. Examples include: hitting an animal, loose gravel, pot holes, defective roadway, or another "motor cycle"; in each of these examples a biker would not be entitled to No-Fault Benefits."

A motorcycle is...NOT a motorvehicle...you must have insurance, yet you might not be able to collect from your insurance..and that is a damned shame.

""A motorcycle is...NOT a motor vehicle...you must have insurance, yet you might not be able to collect from your insurance..and that is a damned shame.""

How was it determined a motorcycle is not considered a motor vehicle in Michigan?
    Isn't it a vehicle with a motor? Must be politics involved with!

Well me being one who has had to rely on the insurance of the automobile owner to pay.my lost wages and medical bills for 3 months. I support any increase. after a 16 year old kid turned into me while I was on my motorcycle 10 years ago I appreciate the help that was provided. The insurance also.covers accidents where motorcycles were NOT involved, but the medical costs are over a certain amount. I think it was.200,000 dollars.but don't quote me. Basically the state insurance steps in to carry some of.the expense so insurance companies.don't go broke.

Tying this to the helmet law you cut off your nose to protect.your hair..............

without getting into all the pros and cons of if a whether or not a cycle rider should wear a helmet or not. if you won't go to a destination based on if you have to wear a helmet means you are missing a LOT of great riding spots. all of the west cost, canada, most of the southern states. i'll wear my helmet to go to areas based on where i want to go, not if i have to wear a helmet or not.

Well said ranger_dave!

Isn't a choice great!!!!you CHOOSE TO WEAR A HELMET good for you!!!!as for you thinking I need one BAD ON YOU!!!!!I don't get the whole "you have to wear one cuz I do" thing or wait this one get ya every time...."your going die" best one ever.......we have traveled to mich the last 3 summers on the bikes and we dont care for helmets but love the area......I have been looking for the right helmet for these trips and YET to find one that does anything but choke me.....as for states that need helmets....been to most on a bike!!!!!as for the Up this summer NOPE my group of 20 plus will be sticking to mn and wis for our big trip.........ITS OUR CHOICE!!!!!!

I've been riding bikes my whole life and still do, for years all I had was a full face helmet but when I lived in Boston and would ride to Hampton beach or somewhere without a helmet law I would take it off and hang it on the back as soon as I crossed the state line.
    To me the whole helmet arguement is kind of silly, the little brain buckets that most people wear, including myself, would do very little in an accident. Look around, most of the Harley riders you see wear the smallest helmet they can find, sure it would protect them if they land on a 6" round spot on the tippy top back part of their head!
    Besides, if you are worrying about paying for the rest of the life of someone who survives but is injured, it seems to me your arguement should then be we should all NOT wear helmets so no one would survive an accident and you would therefor pay less, correct???? (just sayin'

Dave, it is kind of the same when you ride off trail, my kids have the boots, vests, neck brace, helmets, gloves, bark busters on the bars and whatever to try and "protect" them. I was brush hogin' and watched my son go over the bars and fly probably 15-20' and hit the ground, scared the @##$ out of me, was thankful he wasn't hurt. Not sure how to judge how far he flew, do you start measuring when the but leaves the seat, when the body passes the bars or when the hands let go of the bars

I have always wondered how effective helmets are on motorcycles. Someone told me once that insurance companies don't care about who wears helmets because "helmets cause doctor bills."

I don't ride motorcycles so I don't have much of an opinion on this issue. They look like lots of fun, but I don't like the idea of riding one among all the idiots out there who aren't watching what they are doing (texters, etc.).

I've been riding dirt bikes and street bikes for 35 years and my motto is "ATGATT" all the way. "All The Gear All The Time".

Do I believe wearing a helmet needs to be a personal choice? ABSOLUTELY!!!

I hope the MI Governor signs this off. We are losing enough freedoms, lets take one back for once.

I do support the freedom of choice regarding the Helmet Law, however, it is not something that can happen in Michigan right now without complete No-Fault reform. What many do not understand is the fact that Michigans No-Fault Law provides an Unlimited Lifetime Medical Benefit. You or I cannot go out & buy a Health Insurance Plan that is unlimited in benefit, these policies have limits to them ranging from 1 to 5 million, why should we be mandated to purchase unlimited medical coverage under the Michigan No-Fault Law. Another item of importance that many are not aware of is that the medical providers (Hospitals, Physicans etc) are not obligated to any fee schedules for treatment of auto related injuries. For example, the MRI that you have performed as a result of an Auto related injury is 3-5 times more than that same service provided for under a Workers Compensation injury which is subject to a fee schedule. Treatment for any auto related injury in Michigan is NOT subject to any cost containment. As such, we all continue to suffer with ever increasing insurance rates. Everyone who owns & insures an auto in Michigan is not only paying for the ever increasing costs of the Medical coverage provided under the auto policy known as PIP (Person Injury Protection) but also to the State Mandated Fee known as the MCCA (Michigan Catastrofic Claims Association), both of which are per vehicle on the policy. Presently, all auto insurers in the state of Michigan are responsible for the first $500,000 in medical expense, once that threshold has been met, the medical costs are then taken over by the MCCA which is unlimited in benefit. As firecatguy pointed out, this fee is increasing to $175 per vehicle beginning July 1st 2012, which is an increase of $30 per vehicle per year. The $175 assessment includes $141.93 to cover claims, $32.72 to address the estimated $2 BILLION deficit with the remainder for adminstrative expenses. The current deficit is estimated at $310.78 per insured car. The MCCA paid out $927 million (more than $133 per insured vehicle) in 2011 for claim costs resulting from catastrophic injuries (those that exceeded $500,000). Since 1979 there have been over 28,000 claims reported to the MCCA which will cost an estimated $85 billion. Keep in mind, everyone who insures a Cycle in the state of Michigan is also paying into the MCCA, even though they themselves cannot take advantage of the benefit of this coverage themselves. Medical coverage for the motorcyclist is an "optional" coverage, of which, I would have to say, 90% + do NOT buy due to the additional cost & the "limited" amount of coverage provided. Another point brought out by firecatguy, is a cycle is not a motor vehicle and cannot take advantage of the MCCA unless it makes contact with a "motor vehicle" as defined by law. However, keep in mind, this is not limited to a motor vehicle operator slamming a motorcylist at an intersection because they are not paying attention, this goes for a motorcyclist that either rear ends a car(s) & also one that my lay it down and slide into a motor vehicle or vehicles. Every auto that is contacted by the motorcycle is paying for the motorcyclists medical for as long as they live, & again, keep in mind, with no limit of expense & with no fee schedules in place by the medical providers. Who continues to pay the ever increasing expense? All of us who insure our vehicles in the state because the companies are paying it out & have to pass it onto us, the consumers. This issue goes much further than the "freedom of choice", it is a matter of what is currently contained in the Michigan No-Fault Law. We all feel the pain in our Auto rates at every renewal. Repeal of the helmet law at this time is not a wise choice for anyone of us who pay the price of auto insurance here in Michigan. If this law were to be repealed at this point & time, we would certainly need more than the tourism dollars that could possibly be generated by those whom would not come here previously for the sake of being able to ride without a helmet.-Mezz
    Last edited by mezz; 04-12-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Good Job Mich!!!!!FREEDOME OF CHOICE!!!!!!\

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/michi...cle-helmet-law

Yep he signed it.

They probably did this to distract from all of the other freedom removing laws they were sneaking in at that time. Glad to hear this.

Funny thing in such a liberal state! The map that was posted before looks like a red blue political map!

Either way, most of the time a have a helmet on! Some times like along the lake shore drives with very little trafic I might let my bald head get a little sun!

Linda! Thats all that should matter for what you guys were talking about. Its up to the person to be safe or not!

Default Motorcycle and car crashes create brain injuries - no helmet seals the deal

see http://biami.org/

Auto no fault is not unlimited in Michigan. The word "unlimited" is not in the law. That is why my claims adjuster at State Farm in an attorney.

[Auto no fault is not unlimited in Michigan. The word "unlimited" is not in the law. That is why my claims adjuster at State Farm in an attorney.[/QUOTE]

"Unlimited" is not in "the law", it is however the medical benefit provided under "the law".-Mezz

Hmmm, personally I always wear a helmet, and always will. I hate stones, bugs, and other crap hitting me in the face, so I wear one, if for no other reason. I have a personal experience under my belt where a helmet likely saved me. Top of the helmet was cracked, and front and face shield were smashed. This crash was not my fault. I met a truck on a blind corner and he was in my lane and forced me off the road over a bank. So, I'm just curious, for those who don't wear a helmet, why DON'T you??? Is it an image thing, is it a comfort thing?? What could possibly trump rider safety? I can just see a group of folks getting to the MI line and stopping at the "Welcome To Michigan" billboard beacuse they would have had to put a helmet on. Or the reverse, leaving MI with a helmet on, and getting to the "Welcome to IN" billboard and stopping to pull a helmet off. People are funny!! You're right, it's your choice, but I'd rather not respond to your crash in my ambulance and see your brain scattered on the blacktop, I'd rather see you with a broken helmet, up and walking around talking to your buddies.

Two points.

Have you ever had a nice sized stone come smacking into the windshield of your car or truck? Imagine if that had been you bean!

I had a great friend, who was a great biker until one spring day he was pulling the bikes out of mothballs and tooka "quick spin around the residential neighborhood"....without helmet even though it was the law....he left his wife of 12 years and 2 young sons to get along without him. And had he been wearing a helmet there is no question he would have survive the slow speed accident. Head to curb....means death to a head without no protection.

And so, law or not, I will wear or won't ride. Life is short enough without doing all you can to retain it. Small step, but one that might save your biscuit!

Quote Originally Posted by anonomoose View Post
    Two points.

Have you ever had a nice sized stone come smacking into the windshield of your car or truck? Imagine if that had been you bean!

I had a great friend, who was a great biker until one spring day he was pulling the bikes out of mothballs and tooka "quick spin around the residential neighborhood"....without helmet even though it was the law....he left his wife of 12 years and 2 young sons to get along without him. And had he been wearing a helmet there is no question he would have survive the slow speed accident. Head to curb....means death to a head without no protection.

And so, law or not, I will wear or won't ride. Life is short enough without doing all you can to retain it. Small step, but one that might save your biscuit!
    Amen.

OMG - After one Month they are putting out numbers?!?!! 4 riders dead in this Month. 3 had no helmet and one did. This is stupid to even consider as useful info. Need more time to see the true impact of this law change. Below is taken right out of this Lawyers blog that was posted.
    Also - I bet the lawyer who writes this blog has a hard ime finding a helmet to fit his melon. I would be willing to bet he has never ridden a motorcycle.....

I personally enjoyed a helmetless Honda Helix scooter ride last weekend. Freedom of choice. I personally dont need the government to protect me.

There were 107 motorcycle accidents recorded in the month after Michiganís mandatory helmet law was repealed (April 12-May 11, 2012).
    ■ 12 of the 100 motorcycle accidents involved helmetless riders. But those helmetless riders were injured and killed at a greater rate than the motorcyclists wearing helmets.
    ■ There were 4 fatal motorcycle accidents; three victims did not wear helmets, and one did have a helmet.
    ■ Injuries were recorded in all motorcycle accidents involving helmetless riders, ranging from slight to incapacitating.
    ■ Injuries were recorded in 71 percent of the non-fatal crashes involving riders who were wearing helmets (consistent with statistics from 2010-11).

Itís been only one month. The numbers show that motorcycle operators not wearing helmets are more likely to be killed or injured.

I rode bikes when I was a teenager without a helmet. Then I got into snowmobiling and wore a helmet all the time. As I got older I got into bikes again and wore a helmet all the time even though I live in IL and mostly bike in IL and WI. I never corelated the two but I probably switched to wearing a helmet on the bike because of my obsession with snowmobiling.

I find it funny how someone can put a fact finding bs info out there and nothing on the accidents themselfs!!!did a car run them down? would a helmet help if someone pulled out in front of you? just funny stuff right there.....

when we took our yearly ride to mich i talked to alot motel.restaurant and anywhere we spent money at and asked...is the helmet law have any impack on tourisim? I got a 100% YES we have had way more mc traffic this year than years past..

now that buisness comunity is on board good luck in repealing this law now......I also find it just WEIRD that fellow Mc riders would press the issue to make others wear a helmet...can you not just put one on and not worry about others around you just seems like you are pushing you agenda and views on everyone for no reason at all, enjoy yourself stop worring about everyone else...that seems to be the big issue here

I was riding last weekend saw tons of bikes and the number of bikers wearing helmets I could have counted on one hand. Ride the way you want to ride and worry about yourself.

Tried the no helmet thing today, lost a $12 dew rag and hair was standing up like Don King. Not for me, still to much hair on my head. lol. Ride on Garth!

Quote Originally Posted by firecatguy View Post
    i find it funny how someone can put a fact finding bs info out there and nothing on the accidents themselfs!!!did a car run them down? Would a helmet help if someone pulled out in front of you? Just funny stuff right there.....

When we took our yearly ride to mich i talked to alot motel.restaurant and anywhere we spent money at and asked...is the helmet law have any impack on tourisim? I got a 100% yes we have had way more mc traffic this year than years past..

Now that buisness comunity is on board good luck in repealing this law now......i also find it just weird that fellow mc riders would press the issue to make others wear a helmet...can you not just put one on and not worry about others around you just seems like you are pushing you agenda and views on everyone for no reason at all, enjoy yourself stop worring about everyone else...that seems to be the big issue here
    amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We toured out of Munising 3 weeks ago.
    I commented to a gas station person that people were not wearing helmets.
    They said it was no longer a law.
    All the business's that we stopped at claimed their business was terrific this summer because of all the MC's up there.

Not disputing anything here, but find it hard to believe that putting a bucket on your head would stop people from riding somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by 700classic View Post
    Not disputing anything here, but find it hard to believe that putting a bucket on your head would stop people from riding somewhere!
    Not hard to believe when you come a state that leaves that up to the rider when there is a choice given people will choose the one that suits them

I don't wear a seat belt. (I am such a rebel).
    hope your summer is going well Pat.

I like wearing my helmet, but don't like being told I have to. An occaissional backroad ride without a helmet is refreshing, at low speeds. When I rode a Harley people looked at me funny for wearing a helmet.
    I don't ride after even one beer, but see a lot of bikes parked in front of bars.
    I don't wear seatbelts, unless the kids give me a hard time.

Let people make thier own decisions, but they should be responsible for them.

Thirty seconds in, watch the slow mo....... Gotta love the head hit! Nobody should tell anyone what they should do, but each person knows the right thing to do. Be ready to pay for your bad decisions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qi2s...4Q-jC2Mbsk3OUA

Quote Originally Posted by ecopter View Post
    Thirty seconds in, watch the slow mo....... Gotta love the head hit! Nobody should tell anyone what they should do, but each person knows the right thing to do. Be ready to pay for your bad decisions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qi2s...4Q-jC2Mbsk3OUA
    "everyone know the right thing to do?"

this is a video of a guy racing down the dragon boy, I sure hope if your racing around like on a track you should where a helmet.....

I do not get how you compare this to helmet laws but ok

sure be nice to know if people ride motorcycles when they make a post here it helps with the credibility of your statements
    Last edited by Firecatguy; 09-18-2012 at 09:10 AM.

interesting....seems the studys are a little off..

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...ntcmp=features

Seatbelts save lives, but what about helmets?

A biker group in Michigan says fatalities in the state decreased after a law was enacted this year allowing people to ride motorcycles without protection for their heads, according to The Detroit News.

American Bikers Aiming Toward Education cite Michigan State Police data comparing the first eight months of 2011, to the first half of 2012 and found that the number of fatalities dropped from 89 to 85, despite an increase in motorcycle registrations over the same period.

The group did not provide any information on what percentage of riders are not wearing helmets.

The new law went into effect on April 12, 2012 and requires those who wish to not wear a helmet to be over 21 years old and either have had their license for two years or complete a rider safety course.

Responding to the group’s claim, a AAA of Michigan spokeswoman told the Detroit News that it was based on “very preliminary data,” and that it is too early to reach any conclusions.

“We know by looking at data from every other state that has repealed its helmet law that fatalities and injuries went up,” the spokesperson said.

A study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that only 12 percent of fatal motorcycle accidents nationwide happened in the 20 states that require helmets for all riders.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...#ixzz28ImYMIPN